Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

:same: little mug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I'm kinda curious why'd losing your aural aspects means you pass out when you make noise.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kyte posted:

I'm kinda curious why'd losing your aural aspects means you pass out when you make noise.

Mental feedback from violating the laws of the khert?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kyte posted:

ash's response on tumblr was "nobody particularly knows, and that's why you shouldn't stand near khert fires, they'll mess your soul up in wacky and inexplicable ways"

someone else pointed out that we've seen all these elements of khert fires before so most of them (other than the ability to be seriously hosed up and survive) are known to more-or-less-normal human beings who just read the comic and not the infinite torrent of tumblr questions, which is in keeping with Ash trying to set up reader knowledge but still cool

e: keon exploded his hands, the weird visual form glitch is what killed the plat child soldiers, friendly coffee is back and more or less the same critter as the flying shoe gnome, etc

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 4, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
rahm's injury wasn't even a particularly big khert backlash but it removed the ability of his legs to render and not much else (other than his entire son)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Google Jeb Bush posted:

rahm's injury wasn't even a particularly big khert backlash but it removed the ability of his legs to render and not much else (other than his entire son)

I don't follow much of the extra-comic lore but IIRC wasn't it like a big feat of quick-thinking spellery that Rahm managed to stop it before it deleted the rest of him?

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
Here is where it starts to change

E: in response to this:

GunnerJ posted:

The background is really popping off, worth going back about a month and just advancing through to watch it develop.

Daduzi fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 4, 2023

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Wrights are basically programmers who have no idea why there's a picture of a pine cone buried three layers deep in code, but deleting it causes everyone's teeth to fall out so, uh, don't do that.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

I don't follow much of the extra-comic lore but IIRC wasn't it like a big feat of quick-thinking spellery that Rahm managed to stop it before it deleted the rest of him?

yeah he immediately cast Super Jump and got out of immediate range of the glitch iirc

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

that is not the (secondary) payoff I expected for Maur's "what? but that would waste the cadaver child arms!" festival zombies

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
drat, I knew Maur had to be pretty hardcore despite is appearance, but that's quite hardcore indeed!

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Google Jeb Bush posted:

the weird visual form glitch is what killed the plat child soldiers

drat I don't remember that one at all. Where was that?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

welp

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

Kyte posted:

drat I don't remember that one at all. Where was that?

Here you go: https://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch14/ch14_70.html

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Oh, that. ngl when visuals get a bit too abstract or complex I kinda tune out. I completely forgot about that little bit of horror.
Too bad they don't have photography or video because honestly most battlewrights we've seen are way too blasé about khert fires and I'm p sure that's mostly 'cause they haven't ever had a chance to actually see how bad it can get.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Just wanted to say that Maur's nonchalant striding through a catastrophe and politely turning down viscera offered to him by abominations that he created is pretty great.

Like, if you read that sentence on its own with no context, you would probably imagine a very different person than who he is. That's a good character.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ROGER... FOI... HELLICK?

you know it did cross my mind that he has to still be technically alive in some part of the apocalypse bunker for the curse to be at full throttle

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

also from previous update

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Google Jeb Bush posted:

ROGER... FOI... HELLICK?

you know it did cross my mind that he has to still be technically alive in some part of the apocalypse bunker for the curse to be at full throttle

I assume from what we have seen and some of the Q&A stuff that he is mostly an empty husk vegetable person now, drained of most of his mind, but maybe there's some lucid moments here and there. That part remains to be seen.

Also exactly where he is I don't think we currently know, as in if he is in the Queen's care (as much as she can be atm), being hauled around by Ruck, or maybe just shoved in a corner somewhere.

I agree though, from what we have been told about "the rules", he must still have a pulse at least.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
You know, if it's the soul that keeps a person together during a khert fire, then what about the inak and assorted animals?

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

I remembered the plat soldiers died in the khert fire. I forgot they were turned into fractals.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Kyte posted:

You know, if it's the soul that keeps a person together during a khert fire, then what about the inak and assorted animals?

The inak have something a little like a soul in this sense. Animals probably have a bad time, same way they do in places where the khert is permanently damaged.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Do animals not have souls?

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Staltran posted:

Do animals not have souls?

In the Unsounded universe, the common belief is that only "humans" have "souls". However, their concept of a soul is a bit unique. It's sort of like a tracker that follows people through reincarnation that keeps track of all your experiences and personal growth from life to life. Exactly how much that matters concerning how individuals regard other beings seems to hinge on how extreme or warped their religious views are.

I don't remember anything about a soul being the only thing keeping a being together in a khert fire. Not saying it's not correct, I just can't recall, and the combination of the way the archives are set up that makes them a slog to wade through, the wiki being intentionally deleted, comments being disabled, and the Q&A apparently requires a tumblr account to ask even an anonymous question now, I don't have a good answer to that one. Maybe someone else has a reference?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Twenty Four posted:

the wiki being intentionally deleted,
The say what now sorry?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh huh, the wiki is gone. Wonder what happened.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

murkoph broke through the khert into the silent hill wiki and brought the circumcision controversy to life, there were no survivors

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

iirc there was a pretty nasty hacking incursion

bit of a shame, but the absolute best thing about the wiki was ashley's supplemental editing about ROGER FOI HELLICK KILL HIM BEFORE HE KILLS YOU KILL HIM BEFORE HE KILLS YOU and afaik the edited articles were reverted after the flashback chapter

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Drakyn posted:

The say what now sorry?

Skippy McPants posted:

Google Jeb Bush posted:

iirc there was a pretty nasty hacking incursion

I think there might have been some of that, but also Cope said that lots of the info was outdated or based on old "how things that we haven't actually gotten to yet were going to be but changed". It was 99%-ish fan updated, and rarely at that, so Cope decided to just scrap it maybe half a year or so ago (don't quote me on that, but it wasn't just recently, might have been longer) after I think as GJB said after some screwy stuff happening on it that caused her to decide to pull it instead of trying to fix it.

It's too bad because there was some interesting stuff and good references there, especially stuff lost to the old Formspring Q&A, and things you could get an answer to without having to search through years of tumblr posts (I don't even know how to do that efficiently).

At the bare minimum, I liked it for having that vague map to get a rough idea of where things are when they got referenced, and to check on spelling of the plentiful oddly spelled in-universe words, places, names, and other language (Tainish and Old Tainish) words (and their meanings), etc.

Some of her reasoning also was "you don't really need to know anything that was on there anyways to enjoy the comic" which, while I guess isn't wrong, doesn't mean that I among many others just want to know as much as possible about the intriguing world she created. I would have been fine with a big "take everything on the fan run wiki with a big grain of salt" disclaimer, which I think was already the case. As said in the previous post, bit of a shame, really.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

No matter how many times I make light of "oh what horrors has Ashley Cope devised now, because clearly she got bored with the last batch", sometimes she still nails me right in the sternum.

middle right panel god drat

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
he just wanted to punch her and is faking

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

:psyduck: it just doesn't occur to him that he could just loving talk about the problem. Goddamn, you stupid bastard.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

Mindblast posted:

:psyduck: it just doesn't occur to him that he could just loving talk about the problem. Goddamn, you stupid bastard.

In Quigley's defense, and I cannot believe I just typed that, all the weird khert poo poo going on is so bad it made his nose start bleeding, on top of the ROGER FOI-HELLICK poo poo. I don't think he's physically capable of stopping and having a rational conversation right now.

But yes, he probably wouldn't have one of those anyways because he's a garbage human being.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Agaragon posted:

In Quigley's defense, and I cannot believe I just typed that, all the weird khert poo poo going on is so bad it made his nose start bleeding, on top of the ROGER FOI-HELLICK poo poo. I don't think he's physically capable of stopping and having a rational conversation right now.

But yes, he probably wouldn't have one of those anyways because he's a garbage human being.

His eyes, too. At this rate all the khert pressure is going to liquify his brain.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
wonder how matty’s doing

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Twenty Four posted:

I think there might have been some of that, but also Cope said that lots of the info was outdated or based on old "how things that we haven't actually gotten to yet were going to be but changed". It was 99%-ish fan updated, and rarely at that, so Cope decided to just scrap it maybe half a year or so ago (don't quote me on that, but it wasn't just recently, might have been longer) after I think as GJB said after some screwy stuff happening on it that caused her to decide to pull it instead of trying to fix it.

It's too bad because there was some interesting stuff and good references there, especially stuff lost to the old Formspring Q&A, and things you could get an answer to without having to search through years of tumblr posts (I don't even know how to do that efficiently).

At the bare minimum, I liked it for having that vague map to get a rough idea of where things are when they got referenced, and to check on spelling of the plentiful oddly spelled in-universe words, places, names, and other language (Tainish and Old Tainish) words (and their meanings), etc.

Some of her reasoning also was "you don't really need to know anything that was on there anyways to enjoy the comic" which, while I guess isn't wrong, doesn't mean that I among many others just want to know as much as possible about the intriguing world she created. I would have been fine with a big "take everything on the fan run wiki with a big grain of salt" disclaimer, which I think was already the case. As said in the previous post, bit of a shame, really.

tbh any time wikis and genre fiction combine it almost immediately starts fostering a culture of people around the subject who won't engage with the story as a story and instead as a vehicle for Canon, hyperliteral nitpicking on the imaginary physics of magical fire, author is a hack because they said X on Twitter five years ago which I extrapolated to mean Y and now Z is happening; and Cope is exactly the kind of person who'd react to being made to see that kind of poo poo with a "you know what, gently caress you" and deleting the source of the problem

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 9, 2023

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Is there any character in this comic, aside from Matty, that isn't going to eventually hit Sette?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i have full confidence in Sonorie eventually scoring a combo by hitting Sette with Matty

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I mean, this time Sette didn't even deserve it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

tbh any time wikis and genre fiction combine it almost immediately starts fostering a culture of people around the subject who won't engage with the story as a story and instead as a vehicle for Canon, hyperliteral nitpicking on the imaginary physics of magical fire, author is a hack because they said X on Twitter five years ago which I extrapolated to mean Y and now Z is happening; and Cope is exactly the kind of person who'd react to being made to see that kind of poo poo with a "you know what, gently caress you" and deleting the source of the problem

I don't disagree, though I never saw the wiki in whatever state of disrepair it may have become in its final days or whatever because I'm not one of those "manage the wiki" people, and it was updated so rarely that I only ever checked it for the reasons stated above such as reference, like most people. We did lose some helpful or otherwise interesting things though, which is unfortunate, especially with other resources that have gone away or become less easily accessible.

Anyhow, in current events, Quigly is holding things together so far surprisingly better than the other Alds especially being a plat which should amplify things combined with his tendency to fall apart. I'm not making excuses for him for punching a not-child after she kicked his perceived dead wife's head down the street other than his instability ramped up to 11 while he is bleeding out of all his face holes with the curse in effect and everything else. Being Unsounded, I expect things to get worse.

In perspective according to Cope, the other non-Soud Alds basically just pulled a 9/11 crashing their flying dragon-thing into a building focused on killing Roger Foi-Hellick. Also she said in an earlier script if Sette complained to Duane that Quigs hit her, his response would have been something like "why, what did you do this time?" lol. Those are some well filled out characters with some convincing repertoire!