Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I can't believe I haven't had a single server issue yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So I’m an idiot but I bought ultimate on ps5 and probably gonna buy standard again on pc to play with friends on weekends

How does that work with all the bonus stuff since it’s the same account

You keep all the bonus stuff. The only thing that doesn't transfer is early access.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So I’m an idiot but I bought ultimate on ps5 and probably gonna buy standard again on pc to play with friends on weekends

How does that work with all the bonus stuff since it’s the same account

Isn't there crossplatform coop play?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Ehud posted:

Not really a surprise to me, WoW hasn't had any launch problems for many moons and they made enough adjustments during open beta.

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

I know it's a big tall skill tree with lots of choices...

Is it, though?

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 2, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is running fantastic on the steam deck the only “issue” I’m having with it is that it doesn’t seem to reconnect if you put the Deck to sleep at all. Not a big deal overall since launching the game doesn’t take that long but otherwise it’s perfect.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
A couple of the reviews have mentioned that the game feels a bit over-designed, by which I think they mean very slick and streamlined, but to the point where it starts to lose some personality or sense of achievement. Is that a criticism any of you early-access guys would agree with? I'm still undecided on whether to buy the game.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
If you're on the fence, I'd wait a couple of weeks to see if the endgame is worth playing. Unless you only care about playing through the story.

Diablo 3's terrible state took longer than a day to become apparent.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Zephro posted:

A couple of the reviews have mentioned that the game feels a bit over-designed, by which I think they mean very slick and streamlined, but to the point where it starts to lose some personality or sense of achievement. Is that a criticism any of you early-access guys would agree with? I'm still undecided on whether to buy the game.

I didn’t really read much about this game until earlier this week so going in very fresh. Spent about 2 hours and so far it just feels very much like polished modern Diablo game. Still plenty of personality. If you want to play Diablo again you should buy the game.

.dazedandconfused..
Jan 5, 2006

Once upon a time Blubberkopf made me even more confused....
Have fun everyone. Enjoy the game.

I will see you all in there in a few weeks when everyone is maxed out and done 100 hours of game play.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Sekenr posted:

Isn't there crossplatform coop play?

yes, there is.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

I said come in! posted:

Here I was thinking I was almost done minus the side content that needs to be done. The story really goes no where though and everyone is very stupid. I am looking forward to never have to touch that part ever again.

It seems slightly worse than D2 and slightly better than D3, so we're about right where we expected it to be.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Mr Scumbag posted:

If you're on the fence, I'd wait a couple of weeks to see if the endgame is worth playing. Unless you only care about playing through the story.

Diablo 3's terrible state took longer than a day to become apparent.
Yeah, all this talk about how they did testing on the endgame and are specifically catering to endgame players is great to hear but I'm still holding my breath until I experience it myself.

Thankfully the campaign has been fun. Not "do it more than once" fun, but fun.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Zephro posted:

The real take of this is "it's not Diablo 2."

It's not, it's a different game, it's fun and if you like Diablo games or ARPGs you will likely get your money's worth.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

IG-88 posted:

So wait a second, none of the ultimate extras are out yet??

The ultimate edition adds a battle pass skip and an emote. The battle pass isn’t out yet. I didn’t actually check on the emote.

I said come in! posted:

Here I was thinking I was almost done minus the side content that needs to be done. The story really goes no where though and everyone is very stupid. I am looking forward to never have to touch that part ever again.

I’m really confused about this complaint. Diablo’s writing has always had a third-grade chic feel. What did you expect?

Anyway here’s the definitive review: if you like Diablo, but want to play a new Diablo it’s great. If you don’t there’s nothing here that’s gonna change your mind.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Zephro posted:

I believe this is meant to describe Diablo 4 against most other modern ARPGs, in which a lot of people find the "fun" via breaking the game in ways that the players suspect were not intended by the developer. Diablo 4 seems to limit its "breaking" to special affixes and how they synergize, which are all likely limited just enough to make it feel like all synergies were pre-planned, thus "over-designed." However, I had a constantly refreshed blood-mist triggering mass corpse explosions combo in the beta that felt extremely broken so I don't really know how true I'd say the over-designing is.

It's just a AAA Diablo that will likely get tweaked to ensure balance for PvP, which only Lost Ark can really claim to do in the genre, which is definitely an over-designed game. I wouldn't worry about it as something to make you shy away.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I am 12 hours in, level 33, and this is the smoothest Blizzard day 1 I've ever seen for any always online thing they've ever done.

They even seem to have fixed the connection failure when trying to go East out of Kyovashad.

I was cautiously optimistic but now I'm just kinda impressed (because the bar was very low).

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Yeah, my few hours last night on PC (a summer night, I am 37 years old, the year is 2023) was pretty much without issue - solid 100fps, occasional dips around other players which I'm assuming is a netcode thing. No queues or connection drops.

The game itself feels a lot of fun to play. I've never really been into the min/maxing aspect, so I'm sure my werebear druid boy isn't perfect, but gently caress if it isn't fun to slam the floor and make mooks explode.
Diablo 3 obviously eventually got into a good state, but always felt lacking in feel for me. This recaptures the more gothic feel of Diablo 1 / 2.

Interested to read it plays well on the Steam Deck - I just assumed the Blizzard launcher would be a blocker there, will have to have a look.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm pretty confused by the Rogue's Innervation passive. "Lucky hit: Up to a 10% chance to gain 8 energy" So do I have a 10% chance to gain 8 energy or is it based off my Lucky Hit chance... so if my lucky hit chance is 2.5% and 10% of that means it's pretty much completely useless. It doesn't show up on my stat screen so kind of hard to know.

I just binge played about 10 hours and feeling kind of mixed. I think I'm in the feels better than D3 but nothing will ever come close to D2 camp. I'm not going to lie though, it feels bad to me with the scaling zones. A skeleton at level 1 is going to feel the same as a skeleton at level 28. It's like I'm getting all this gear, but it just keeps me on par with everything and I don't feel like I'm getting more powerful.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah you need to invest into lucky hit to make it worth it

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Lucky hit is what it says it does - 10% chance for 8 energy - except this is multiplied by the lucky hit chance of your skill (which might be something like 30%) - acting like a proc coefficient. You can add to your lucky hit coefficient in other ways.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

katkillad2 posted:

I just binge played about 10 hours and feeling kind of mixed. I think I'm in the feels better than D3 but nothing will ever come close to D2 camp. I'm not going to lie though, it feels bad to me with the scaling zones. A skeleton at level 1 is going to feel the same as a skeleton at level 28. It's like I'm getting all this gear, but it just keeps me on par with everything and I don't feel like I'm getting more powerful.

I struggle with this with every game that fully scales. You only ever feel “on par” but mostly just feel “behind” a lot. Sometimes you get lucky and feel “awesome” but it’ll only be for a level or two until the scaling curve catches back up.

Reserving judgment until endgame because a full build is probably much better than the piecemeal stuff you have while leveling, but I really just have trouble enjoying games that fully scale with you.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ehud posted:

I had two instances where the game froze on me last night, but it wasn't that bad. Once was when I talked to the jeweler, the other was one random time I town portaled back to kyovashad. Had to alt f4 but it seemed like I could hear game sound.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pryce posted:

I struggle with this with every game that fully scales. You only ever feel “on par” but mostly just feel “behind” a lot. Sometimes you get lucky and feel “awesome” but it’ll only be for a level or two until the scaling curve catches back up.

Reserving judgment until endgame because a full build is probably much better than the piecemeal stuff you have while leveling, but I really just have trouble enjoying games that fully scale with you.

Yeah the thing about the scaling is that… it doesn’t matter. Yeah everything feels same-y as you level up… but Diablo isn’t exactly about leveling up. Once you get max level the paragon and nightmare dungeons and the endgame begins and that will always range from blowing past everything in minutes to holy poo poo I’m getting 1 shot by an imp. Leveling as you go through the campaign is how they drip feed all your skills and enchantments and get you through all the checkmarks of what your character can do.

I wouldn’t stress about scaling at all.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Blizzard for the love of god let me drag the UI down to the bottom of the scree and hide the big letters!!!!

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Friendly reminder to always drink elixirs for 5% bonus XP.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Astryl posted:

Friendly reminder to always drink elixirs for 5% bonus XP.

lol I got my elixir and haven’t used it yet

Lots of new mechanics to learn.

I’m an old man, I’m confused!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah the thing about the scaling is that… it doesn’t matter. Yeah everything feels same-y as you level up… but Diablo isn’t exactly about leveling up. Once you get max level the paragon and nightmare dungeons and the endgame begins and that will always range from blowing past everything in minutes to holy poo poo I’m getting 1 shot by an imp. Leveling as you go through the campaign is how they drip feed all your skills and enchantments and get you through all the checkmarks of what your character can do.

I wouldn’t stress about scaling at all.

At the same time you're going to be spending a lot of time leveling up so making it feel kind of blah isn't a great move. That being said, it's probably necessary. The scaling is just a more granular extention of popping up a difficulty level as quickly as you can to maximize your gains.

More the problem I have with it right now is that I'm trying to figure out what class I want to stick with and it's hard to tell when I never "get ahead" to see the real potential. Especially for what I'm rolling now, Necromancer, where you're looking at your skeletons and going "are you guys really going to hold up long term".

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
The benefit of the scaling is that you can make use of the whole game all the time, as opposed to there being a narrow band of "just right" areas of the game that you are forced into along the levelling path.
As long as the nightmare dungeons push the scaling gap as they are meant to I'm fine with it.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005
My normal Diablo crew loved it. We've played D1 through to D2R, the only low point being D3 which really did get a good tune up eventually but failed to hold us long term. D2R got us all back in. We'd just finished our Hell run when D4 arrived.

Totally smooth launch and other than a few small gripes so far this is a good Diablo.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Zones scaling to me is great in practice. I can do any main or side quest, any dungeon, any time.

They put enough work into stat and gear progression that I’m still getting dopamine zaps as I progress and tinker, so the net result is just more freedom.

I’m impressed!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Game is not at all ready to be released, but its still fun, just buggy as gently caress.

I've experienced a single bug in 12 hours

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting the launch to be as smooth as it was (for me — I'm aware playstation had some issues). Logged in early with no queue, never got DC'd once, didn't even have weird loading issues in zones.

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

For all it's prettyness, whoever designed the Skill window really does need to be shot.

- Nice art that will never get seen unless you purposefully scroll to the top/bottom? check
- 80% empty space, but still requires endless click+drag-scrolling? check
- no cursor-to-edge-of-screen to move? check
- doesn't remember your previous position or zoom levels? check
- actual dead areas outside of art (full screen) which serves literally no purpose? check
- can't search by custom keyword, can only select by Blizzard's tags (hope you know mechanics!)? check

I know it's a big tall skill tree with lots of choices, but gently caress me just some basic UI/UX polish would have helped so much

I agree with this post though. I went to search for a passive only to find out that I basically had to search by skill "tags" which wasn't helpful. I hope they iterate on the search function because right now it's pretty lame. And the actual skill tree itself seems like, both overly zoomed in (I guess because it's in its own small window and I'm used to poe's fullscreen tree) but also with just too much empty space? It feels annoying to navigate. Maybe it works better on controller, which it seems like it was designed for, but I feel like there must be way better ways of presenting it than what they went for.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Ferrin posted:

I tried to search your clan but it doesn't show up in the results.

I'll try again later today if you make it public. I was in your clan during the open beta.

Yeah, I just made it public. Welcome back!

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Didn't expect many problems with the game since the beta access periods kept improving things. It's been smooth sailing other than the inability to skip cutscenes. Only managed to get a lightning druid to about 10 or so last night but I'm really looking forward to digging in as soon as I have more time.

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011
Played a couple hours last night and had a great time. Played about 30 minutes as rogue before switching over to necro and what a blast just shooting bone spears and exploding corpses.

At work now though wishing I was still playing it :(

What’s the consensus on world tier levels? Is it starting at 2?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
They seriously need to redo group play quest progression to have one person be able to progress the quest for everyone, if not globally then for everyone in the act. It's a loving nightmare to make sure everyone stays in synced because if someone gets out of sync then they can happily continue on doing all the things and seeing all the cutscenes but getting none of the credit. I had hoped they would have fixed this from the beta but they didn't.

Other than that and some hitching here and there it was smooth sailing, except for all the clan stuff I was talking about earlier, but at least there they fixed the bug that crashes your game every time you accept someone into the clan.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Zephro posted:

yea from my experience with the beta i'd probably agree. the level scaling, boring skills and loot, fairly similar monsters/encounters kinda makes it feel samey, but i didn't play that much. it's not horrible or anything, and the blizzard animation/art polish goes a long way so it still might be worth playing? if you had to get one big release this month, i'd probably go for street fighter tho

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

There may be scaling but I've still run into enemies that were way higher level than I was that absolutely kicked my rear end so it's not like there's no challenge or hard to kill mobs to contend with. It's made grouping with friends so much easier too.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
If you get that weird pc big where you can’t skip cut scenes just alt tab out and back in and that fixes it for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Just saw somebody ride past on a mount.

gently caress I need to sleep less and play more :smith: