Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

DRINK ME posted:

Tried this out today and got two useless answers, but the stupidity has been slowing down as the week wraps up.
“You’ve been here for so long I thought if anyone would know you would know” - 17 years on 06/06.
“You’re always so nice and quick to help us out” - from one of the contractors in India who now does my old smoke break buddy’s job.

This won't work, but if it's not within the scope of your job description, give them a 'Sorry, but I'm at capacity and this isn't me job, speak to my manager and have him email me confirmation I'm good ot work on this'.

Do it every single time until your manager either says says 'No, stop this, it's wasting my time. No more out-of-scope work', or 'No stop this, it's wasting my time. Just do those things it's your job now', at which point you can swing the genitalia of your choice around the room and begin increased responsibility and pay negotiations.

This assumes you're living in a first-world country and work for a decent company. Otherwise, suck it up, worthless piece of sub-human trash employee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

credburn posted:

My boss is really open about the amount of fraud she is committing. She owns two convenience stores; one that's super nice and performs well and this busted barely functioning thing I work at. I learned yesterday that the only reason the store I work at exists is because she uses the good store to buy like half the product from the bad store. Her goal is to keep both stores alive for three more years so she can sell both and retire. I've worked there since September and since then we've hired more than ten people and of those ten people, nine have quit or been fired, usually within one or two days of being hired. We've been at negative-one employees needed to even run the store since I started. We've been at -2 employees most of the time. Fortunately there was a single person who decided to keep their job, so we're at a nice -1 employees; not enough to keep the store running, definitely not enough to keep the place clean. Fortunately my boss has a bunch of kids she can force to work there without paying them.

I deal with 220-350 customers per day, depending on day of the week and some other factors. Being on the register for eight hours straight (no break! no bathroom!) means, on a busier day, a customer enters the store every forty-five seconds. My main goal at work is at all times to desperately keep the line low. Customers that shop at this store are loving assholes; half of them are unhoused folks high on meth, the other half are homeless-hating conservative rednecks, high on meth. If the line gets too long, they take it out on me. If we could hire a single other person there are so many problems that could be avoided.

Every day is a nonstop anxiety attack. If this were like an MMORPG transcript, it would read like:

1 customer has entered the store! There are now 4 customers in the store! The line grows.
The customer wants to pay for her groceries but did not bring money.
1 customer has entered the store! There are now 5 customers in the store! The line grows.
The customer wants to pay with debit card, but the card is broken.
1 customer has entered the store! There are now 6 customers in the store! The line grows.
The customer has wandered away!
1 customer has entered the store! There are now 7 customers in the store! The line grows.
You call the customer back. The customer has a different card she would like to use. She is searching for it.
2 customers have entered the store! There are now 9 customers in the store! The line grows.
The customer wants to sign in to her 7-Rewards points thing! But she can't remember her phone number.
1 customer has entered the store! There are now 10 customers in the store! The line grows.
The customer is attempting to enter phone numbers on the 7-Rwards points thing.
1 customer has entered the store! There are now 11 customers in the store! The line grows.
The customer cannot figure out the buttons on the 7-Rewards points thing
1 customer has entered the store! There are now 12 customers in the store! The line grows.
The customer has decided not to deal with the 7-Rewards points thing. She continues searching for her other card.
5 customer have entered the store! There are now 17 customers in the store! The line grows.
The customer found the card! She jams it into the card reader with excessive force. The card reader displays an error.
1 customer has entered the store! There are now 18 customers in the store! The line grows.
The customer is shouting at the card reader. She cannot hear you because the store is too full of people. She cannot hear you telling her to stop shoving her loving card into the reader like she's trying to stab it to death. Customers have begun stealing. Two customers start fighting.
3 customers have entered the store! There are now 21 customers in the store! The line grows.
The customer's card did not work because she has no money. She asks if she can just keep the groceries she brought up to the counter, since some of it, like the coffee and slurpee and other poo poo will just have to be thrown away anyway.
1 customer has entered the store! There are now 22 customers in the store! The line grows.
You'd be a loving monster not to let this woman keep the slurpee. What, you're just going to throw it away. Why would you not let her keep it?
1 customer has entered the store! There are now 23 customers in the store! The line grows.
I can't believe you're just going to throw it away. That's so wasteful. Where's your manager?

I'm generally speaking no rat, but you couldn't pay me money not to try to gently caress over this person as hard as I could.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Outrail posted:

This won't work, but if it's not within the scope of your job description, give them a 'Sorry, but I'm at capacity and this isn't me job, speak to my manager and have him email me confirmation I'm good ot work on this'.

Do it every single time until your manager either says says 'No, stop this, it's wasting my time. No more out-of-scope work', or 'No stop this, it's wasting my time. Just do those things it's your job now', at which point you can swing the genitalia of your choice around the room and begin increased responsibility and pay negotiations.

This assumes you're living in a first-world country and work for a decent company. Otherwise, suck it up, worthless piece of sub-human trash employee.

Yeah it’s probably the right move to add the boss to them* but I’ve mostly just been answering along the lines of “I have no knowledge of that, not even who to tell you to ask.”

It’s just been a weird time, like maybe one of these a month would be normal but this has been several a day across a range of topics I’m in no way associated with.

*I also have a new boss where I have no idea of his management style or expectations. Two of us were pushed into his existing team. He’s given us both (separately) a little welcome to the team call and that’s all we’ve heard from him, it seems good so far and I’m not sure I want to rock the boat.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
Another supervisor got up from the table at the going-away luncheon for a different supervisor to announce he putting in his two weeks. If I didn't think it would be misinterpreted as violent hostility (as opposed to just schadenfreude) I would print out the org chart and start putting red X's over people that left

Then again, the more supervisors leave- the more free a hand I have to actually do my day-to-day stuff, so whatever. The company has very strict staffing requirements for summer heat-waves that are established by our central engineering group, any attempt to revise them down to try and alleviate the crunch would require a lot of bureaucratic stuff that would trigger reviews from municipal oversight. So the lonely few who are still here are just going to be working 7 to 7 all summer while flipping a coin to see who does nights vs days?

All i can think is Please, Proceed. My union is sharpening the knives, management hasn't been able to convincingly project strength about scabbing since like 2012. 2024 we're going to take them to the cleaners.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
So we're working on nailing a contract in collaboration with an outside vendor, and obviously my boss was having us take painstaking effort to make sure none of the budget info from the RFP gets to the vendor so we can negotiate from the strongest position.

The loving middleman sales rep just emailed the vendor directly with the most recent documents from client, that has all the budget info in it. It's a live Dropbox link they're still updating and bumping the chain on.

My boss is piiiisssed.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lmao

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

So we're working on nailing a contract in collaboration with an outside vendor, and obviously my boss was having us take painstaking effort to make sure none of the budget info from the RFP gets to the vendor so we can negotiate from the strongest position.

The loving middleman sales rep just emailed the vendor directly with the most recent documents from client, that has all the budget info in it. It's a live Dropbox link they're still updating and bumping the chain on.

My boss is piiiisssed.

What are salespeople for, if not loving things up for everybody else?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

credburn posted:

My boss is really open about the amount of fraud she is committing. She owns two convenience stores; one that's super nice and performs well and this busted barely functioning thing I work at. I learned yesterday that the only reason the store I work at exists is because she uses the good store to buy like half the product from the bad store. Her goal is to keep both stores alive for three more years so she can sell both and retire. I've worked there since September and since then we've hired more than ten people and of those ten people, nine have quit or been fired, usually within one or two days of being hired. We've been at negative-one employees needed to even run the store since I started. We've been at -2 employees most of the time. Fortunately there was a single person who decided to keep their job, so we're at a nice -1 employees; not enough to keep the store running, definitely not enough to keep the place clean. Fortunately my boss has a bunch of kids she can force to work there without paying them.

I deal with 220-350 customers per day, depending on day of the week and some other factors. Being on the register for eight hours straight (no break! no bathroom!) means, on a busier day, a customer enters the store every forty-five seconds. My main goal at work is at all times to desperately keep the line low. Customers that shop at this store are loving assholes; half of them are unhoused folks high on meth, the other half are homeless-hating conservative rednecks, high on meth. If the line gets too long, they take it out on me. If we could hire a single other person there are so many problems that could be avoided.

Every day is a nonstop anxiety attack. If this were like an MMORPG transcript, it would read like:

1 customer has entered the store! There are now 4 customers in the store! The line grows.
The customer wants to pay for her groceries but did not bring money.
1 customer has entered the store! There are now 5 customers in the store! The line grows.
The customer wants to pay with debit card, but the card is broken.
1 customer has entered the store! There are now 6 customers in the store! The line grows.
The customer has wandered away!
1 customer has entered the store! There are now 7 customers in the store! The line grows.
You call the customer back. The customer has a different card she would like to use. She is searching for it.
2 customers have entered the store! There are now 9 customers in the store! The line grows.
The customer wants to sign in to her 7-Rewards points thing! But she can't remember her phone number.
1 customer has entered the store! There are now 10 customers in the store! The line grows.
The customer is attempting to enter phone numbers on the 7-Rwards points thing.
1 customer has entered the store! There are now 11 customers in the store! The line grows.
The customer cannot figure out the buttons on the 7-Rewards points thing
1 customer has entered the store! There are now 12 customers in the store! The line grows.
The customer has decided not to deal with the 7-Rewards points thing. She continues searching for her other card.
5 customer have entered the store! There are now 17 customers in the store! The line grows.
The customer found the card! She jams it into the card reader with excessive force. The card reader displays an error.
1 customer has entered the store! There are now 18 customers in the store! The line grows.
The customer is shouting at the card reader. She cannot hear you because the store is too full of people. She cannot hear you telling her to stop shoving her loving card into the reader like she's trying to stab it to death. Customers have begun stealing. Two customers start fighting.
3 customers have entered the store! There are now 21 customers in the store! The line grows.
The customer's card did not work because she has no money. She asks if she can just keep the groceries she brought up to the counter, since some of it, like the coffee and slurpee and other poo poo will just have to be thrown away anyway.
1 customer has entered the store! There are now 22 customers in the store! The line grows.
You'd be a loving monster not to let this woman keep the slurpee. What, you're just going to throw it away. Why would you not let her keep it?
1 customer has entered the store! There are now 23 customers in the store! The line grows.
I can't believe you're just going to throw it away. That's so wasteful. Where's your manager?

LOL! This is the perfect description of the kind of thing I’ve seen in busy convenience stores.

The quiktrip near me has all attendants signed into multiple cash registers so that they can ring up 2 people at a time, to avoid the scratcher delays described by multiple people on SA who work/have worked at convenience stores, I imagine. In the middle of the night, there’s only 1 attendant signed into all POSes, I believe. But it is also almost dead at that location at that time.

The counter is a square, and there are 2 POS on each corner. This would probably be unsafe in an area populated primarily by meth users since there is no safety glass in place and an entry accessible to anyone.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have an employee getting frustrated that for multiple years now the company has asked us to do less with more. I... I had to have a meeting to help an employee deal with the lack of stress and easy advancement.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

McGavin posted:

The average age in my organization is rapidly approaching early 60s and everyone is very professional, so this isn't for attendance, it's literally just to say "good morning".

Mornings Georg, who is over 3000 years old, is an outlier and should not have been counted.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i send screenshots at work by taking a phone photo, emailing it to myself then using the snipping tool on that

Barudak
May 7, 2007

blatman posted:

i send screenshots at work by taking a phone photo, emailing it to myself then using the snipping tool on that

Ah you're the fucker emailing me excel documents as pdfs

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Barudak posted:

I have an employee getting frustrated that for multiple years now the company has asked us to do less with more. I... I had to have a meeting to help an employee deal with the lack of stress and easy advancement.

When I finally get to leave my current terrible employer, I think I'll need to take some time and effort to adjust to a merely mildly unpleasant standard work environment.

Maybe set up a little animatronic boss to hold on to tasks until a couple of days before they are due, or periodically say demoralising and unprofessional things while I'm trying to work.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

McGavin posted:

The dumb poo poo my work does I'm dealing with right now is that the organization did a bit of a re-org and my team got switched to a different manager. The new manager sends out "Good Morning!" emails twice a week and everyone on the team replies, so I get like 30 "Good Morning!" emails to delete per week. Fortunately, everyone on my team hates this and doesn't respond or else it would be even worse.

Can you create email filters? If it's fairly consistent with the subject or some other attribute I'd shunt them into a subfolder (or just the trash) marked as read

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

TheBlackVegetable posted:

Can you create email filters? If it's fairly consistent with the subject or some other attribute I'd shunt them into a subfolder (or just the trash) marked as read

Unfortunately, the only thing that's consistent is that there is always a Snoopy comic in them.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Can you not just automatically delete the entire email thread that starts with something from his email address containing "morning"?

I know I've muted the company-wide chat to block out the constant distractions of people wishing each other happy birthdays. If that poo poo came through email I would probably just mute my email client. :fuckoff:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

McGavin posted:

Unfortunately, the only thing that's consistent is that there is always a Snoopy comic in them.

This is way funnier than it should be.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Can you not just automatically delete the entire email thread that starts with something from his email address containing "morning"?

I know I've muted the company-wide chat to block out the constant distractions of people wishing each other happy birthdays. If that poo poo came through email I would probably just mute my email client. :fuckoff:

Our department of ~50 has Happy Birthday emails, complete with clip art memes usually featuring gerbils in birthday hats. Usually about a dozen people reply all so while annoying it's not overwhelmingly so.

The gerbils are cute sometimes.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Bored posted:

LOL! This is the perfect description of the kind of thing I’ve seen in busy convenience stores.

The quiktrip near me has all attendants signed into multiple cash registers so that they can ring up 2 people at a time, to avoid the scratcher delays described by multiple people on SA who work/have worked at convenience stores, I imagine. In the middle of the night, there’s only 1 attendant signed into all POSes, I believe. But it is also almost dead at that location at that time.

The counter is a square, and there are 2 POS on each corner. This would probably be unsafe in an area populated primarily by meth users since there is no safety glass in place and an entry accessible to anyone.

Never worked at a convenience store, but I worked at a plant in NY, rotating, long shifts. All I loving wanted every afternoon on swings was a nice, stale breakfast sando on those delicious hard rolls, and a Stewart's brand energy drink. Multiple times I had to just leave them on the counter and walk out, because I was in line for 15 minutes because of scratcher addicts, and about to be late for work.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

You mean gamblers don't just buy tickets and gently caress off? Do they stay in line?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You mean gamblers don't just buy tickets and gently caress off? Do they stay in line?

Yeah they just stand there and chain scratch forever if you let them.

When I was a teenager I worked in the only convenience store in the village I grew up in, and on Thursday nights after bingo ended in town a flock of middle aged women would descend on the place and spend the next hour or more buying scratch cards with whatever they’d won at bingo, scratching them off, cashing in the winners and buying more scratch cards.

It’s insane.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They scratch off at the front and cash in whatever winners they have then buy more and scratch off at the front and cash in the winners and then buy more and then

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Barudak posted:

Ah you're the fucker emailing me excel documents as pdfs

This is where you spend that 40M

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Fuckwit workmate story time.

We have a cleaner where I work who is a royal pain in the rear end, you know the type, thinks she knows everything has an opinion on everything, stirs endless drama. Most people avoid her as much as they can and she seems completely unaware she’s very unliked. Gossips endlessly and everything she gossips about she vastly exaggerates or pits out of context to make it seem worse and more dramatic than it really is.

I got told on the lowdown that she’s gone to see the big boss and told her that:

I take uppers at work (I have daily adhd medications)
I talk about how much I take (I talked with her about being diagnosed as an adult and how my dose is high compared to the norm)
I’m taking all sorts of drugs and substances all day at work (protein shakes and non stimulant pre workout, I don’t even drink coffee)
How she thinks I actually stole the risperidone that went missing (I found the spilled container and immediately told the duty nurse before filing a formal report).

She’s a non stop poo poo storing gossip but this time I think she’s hung herself. Accusing a working of taking drugs and stealing meds is a big thing and I’m hoping I can prove she’s been telling people so I can go to management about this. I can’t go immediately because the they workmate that warned me was really really supposed to keep it to herself.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Barudak posted:

They scratch off at the front and cash in whatever winners they have then buy more and scratch off at the front and cash in the winners and then buy more and then

I wasn't the person selling the scratchers but I did work at a store that sold them, was an old guy that would come in before his social security check and spend everything on them to spite his children, would say that the entire time. I was working a close shift once and he was still loving there and trying to buy tickets when we were closing and had to be cashed out (take home the tickets) he was up like 20k and had been at it 12 hours. He apparently came in the next day and lost it all.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

goatface posted:

I don't have permissions to access the microsoft store.

Can you open powershell? Because then you could install Scoop with no admin needed, then install anything scoop has pre packaged.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Extra row of tits posted:

We have a cleaner where I work who is a royal pain in the rear end, you know the type, thinks she knows everything has an opinion on everything, stirs endless drama. Most people avoid her as much as they can and she seems completely unaware she’s very unliked. Gossips endlessly and everything she gossips about she vastly exaggerates or pits out of context to make it seem worse and more dramatic than it really is.

I got told on the lowdown that she’s gone to see the big boss and told her that:

I talk about how much I take (I talked with her about being diagnosed as an adult and how my dose is high compared to the norm)
I’m taking all sorts of drugs and substances all day at work (protein shakes and non stimulant pre workout, I don’t even drink coffee)
How she thinks I actually stole the risperidone that went missing (I found the spilled container and immediately told the duty nurse before filing a formal report).

She’s a non stop poo poo storing gossip but this time I think she’s hung herself. Accusing a working of taking drugs and stealing meds is a big thing and I’m hoping I can prove she’s been telling people so I can go to management about this. I can’t go immediately because the they workmate that warned me was really really supposed to keep it to herself.

Let this be a lesson to never, ever discuss anything more personal than the weather with coworkers until you've known them for at least a year and have an idea on their character. I don't know what it is about medical but you either get the best coworkers you'd give a kidney for or ones that make you pay extra attention to murder documentaries.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Barudak posted:

Can’t you just tell them to gently caress off somewhere else and get back in line when they’re done?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Freaquency posted:

Can’t you just tell them to gently caress off somewhere else and get back in line when they’re done?

Spoken like someone who’s never worked a register

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Freaquency posted:

If you want them to stay right where they are out of spite, while they loudly proclaim to be mortally offended, plan to never set foot in this shop again (lol, I wish) and insist on speaking to your manager, then yes. Yes you can.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

lol fair enough. I did my customer service time in food service not retail so I suppose my naïveté is showing

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Freaquency posted:

Looks like Freaquency's getting fired for being rude to customers.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Extra row of tits posted:

Do you want to keep this job because the only way to keep the job is to address it right now.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

So someone decides to just monopolize the cashiers time repeatedly buying scratchers, and the people behind them don't start screaming/stabbing?

What terrible part of the world does this behaviour occur in?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

If I had to Geoguessr guess I'd say central Ohio

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Probably somewhere the scratchy fan might have a gun.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Do you want to keep this job because the only way to keep the job is to address it right now.

Oh I’m on it, best defence is a vastly over the top offence.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
My brother used to work for RIM. The Blackberry company. Yeah. 'Nuff said after you look at the rubble left behind from that disaster.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Catastrophe posted:

My brother used to work for RIM. The Blackberry company. Yeah. 'Nuff said after you look at the rubble left behind from that disaster.

Did he watch the BlackBerry movie just to watch it collapse all over again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
]

The lack of posting on the weekends leads me to question whether anyone wants to work anymore.

What's the good word goons?