Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They did Mexican week on Bake Off this week, and apparently it was a dismal failure because most people have never even seen a taco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
My bake off group thought it was weird rather than bad

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Getting treated to a matinée and a nice hotel in London by the in-laws in January. Not lived in the city for 4.5 years at this point - where's good for taking (not stuffy, pretty 'cultured') parents these days? We'll be around the Royal Albert Hall but can obviously access all of Central really easily.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Kim Justice posted:

I actually went to the Taco Ria place in Southend a couple of times. All things considered, it was decent. Better than most other attempts at Mexican food around here. Kinda retrospectively pisses me off if a lengthy legal battle with these wankers helped to kill the place off relatively quickly.

Oh poo poo, I went there a bunch of times when I was being sent to work over there, it's gone? I visited Southend early this year and it seemed like a lot of new places had popped up in the high street, apparently to service increased demand on delivery apps.

Bit of an aside, anyone know good Mexican in either Las Vegas or New York? Going on holiday later this month. I do actually have some recommendations for Vegas already.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

Bollock Monkey posted:

Getting treated to a matinée and a nice hotel in London by the in-laws in January. Not lived in the city for 4.5 years at this point - where's good for taking (not stuffy, pretty 'cultured') parents these days? We'll be around the Royal Albert Hall but can obviously access all of Central really easily.

veggie vegan 222 in kensington is my go-to 'nicer' restaurant. it's all vegan food, but it's delicious and a super super nice place. you're not too far from soho either, so you could head to randall and aubin for fresh seafood, coqbull for some high-end burgers and cocktails, mele e pere for vermouth and italian food, bao for taiwanese food, it's soho, you'll find something if none of these appeal to you

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Oh poo poo, I went there a bunch of times when I was being sent to work over there, it's gone? I visited Southend early this year and it seemed like a lot of new places had popped up in the high street, apparently to service increased demand on delivery apps.

Bit of an aside, anyone know good Mexican in either Las Vegas or New York? Going on holiday later this month. I do actually have some recommendations for Vegas already.

Yeah, I don't think it was open for all that long really - I wanna say a year? It kinda had a long spell where all the signage was still up and it hadn't been stripped down but the place was never open. A couple of other places have also been and gone in that one spot...but yeah, there's more places on and around the High Street now and it's slowly getting a bit more diverse. Of course, it still made for a big story here when the town city finally got a Wagamama.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

On the topic of Mexican food in London, head to La Chingada (YEP, they called it that) at Surrey Quays. It's a proper hole in the wall (literally), but the tacos are so drat good.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
What does the name mean? Also this is exciting to discover a second good Mexican place in London

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

It's a vulgar term for a sex worker.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

But Myungrang in Angel today for a Korean hotdog, don't know if it's possible to screw them up as Bunsik is also nice, think they have a few branches now, one near TCR and Camden.

Had the potato around a pork hotdog, going to branch out next time as they seem to have done edition types. Tteokbokki was good, had better but in a sit down restaurant I'm struggling to remember the name of. Think it was under a Korean shop near Holburn?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

yung lambic posted:

On the topic of Mexican food in London, head to La Chingada (YEP, they called it that) at Surrey Quays. It's a proper hole in the wall (literally), but the tacos are so drat good.

Yeah I went the other day and was really nice. I saw there's also a highly rated Dutch fish and chip van on Google maps outside Canada Water tube, but it wasn't there that evening.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I had the sudden desire for pie and mash today, so I might have to look up places soon. I remember Manze in Bermondsey being good, and the one at the top end of the Portobello being alright.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

I had the sudden desire for pie and mash today, so I might have to look up places soon. I remember Manze in Bermondsey being good, and the one at the top end of the Portobello being alright.

Talk about delayed gratification.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Saw that Wong Kei's is shut for refurbishment and will be back in April.

Had a nice bento at Tokyo Diner but wish I'd gone for curry I think, and ube bilong from Mamasons in Chinatown spur of the moment, .

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My favourite restaurant growing up was Poons on Leicester Street, Bill Poon shuttered all his restaurants back in about 2005/6, but his daughter Amy has a pop-up on Charlotte Street doing lunchtime wontons at the moment. It’s not even nearly the same, but I’ll try it soon.

I just want that sweet and sour crispy wonton dish again. :smith:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Looks like Wendy's in Ilford shut down suddenly at the weekend, can't find anything written about it but they opened May last year so I guess a lease wasn't renewed. Can't say I'm too shocked, don't think it was ever empty but certainly never busy, and it seems the Stratford and Romford branches still cover a lot of the area on the delivery apps. Don't know how those other branches are doing but I suspect Ilford specifically was underperforming. But whatever, at least Popeye's seems to be doing (very) well. Too much to hope they add the shrimp to the menu?

If anyone is overwhelmed by options around Liverpool Street/Spitalfield Market I can recommend Smoko Loko's beef sandwich/flatbread.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Went back to The Begging Bowl on Bellenden Road for a family birthday dinner. It had been hyped a lot by friends in the area and I tried it out with my housemates on our first night after moving in. It was good that night but 2/3 of us were veggie and so we didn't try any of the meat/fish dishes. Last night we had no such restrictions and we shared most of the menu between four people.

Goddamn, this place is really good. Unusual dishes with excellent, punchy flavours. It's quite rare for a place to live up to the amount of hype I'd heard about this one over the last couple of years. My family made the trip down from North London and they were all blown away. Definitely check it out if you have a chance. The only dish we felt let down by was the stir fried mussels, as the flavour of the shellfish was kind of too delicate for the intensity of the other flavours at the table.

I also went to Supa Ya Ramen recently for a date, having tried it at random the week before on Uber Eats. The original place is in Dalston, I think? But I went to the branch on Rye Lane. This is also really good. My date had the vegan option which he was a little disappointed by (the broth was 'just soy sauce' according to him; I tried it and it was nice, perhaps he is not very acquainted with flavours like this) but I tried the roast chicken & sweetcorn and absolutely loved it. The week before I had the tomato confit broth with fried cabbage and Parmesan which was astoundingly good. The tomato salad as a side was also really fantastic. I think this is now my favourite ramen place in the city, having previously been a big fan of Kanada-Ya - although not been back to any of those since before Covid so a lot may have changed.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to be near Notting Hill for about a week. Looking for cozy & romantic date-night spots. No dietary restrictions, but we are new yorkers so not really interested in common American-esque foods (pizza, mexican, hamberder). Definitely interested in things done particularly well in London that New Yorkers can't seem to get right (e.g. I have yet to find a taco better than 3/5 in NYC, whereas any street cart in LA is fantastic).

I do love some fish n chips. Which are the overrated/tourist-trap spots to avoid? Any well-respected joints?

Head Bee Guy fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 31, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

If you want tacos, London is not the city for you.

For fish & chips, Poppies is pretty good. Go to the one by Spitalfields, not Old Compton Street.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Head Bee Guy posted:

I'm going to be near Notting Hill for about a week. Looking for cozy & romantic date-night spots. No dietary restrictions, but we are new yorkers so not really interested in common American-esque foods (pizza, mexican, hamberder). Definitely interested in things done particularly well in London that New Yorkers can't seem to get right (e.g. I have yet to find a taco better than 3/5 in NYC, whereas any street cart in LA is fantastic).

I do love some fish n chips. Which are the overrated/tourist-trap spots to avoid? Any well-respected joints?

Fryer's delight might be a good shout for fish and chips if you find yourself in central london, particularly if you visit the british museum. It's about as traditional a chippy as it gets and still frys in beef dripping.

Re: cozy date night spots you've got tons of options near notting hill. On portobello road near the underpass there's a collection of italian and tapas places that are lovely when the weathers good. There's a kricket in white city which is a short trip away and does fantastic indian small plates.

Other places I'd suggest looking up would be
- noble rot
- the ledbury has reopened (£££)
- core (also £££)
- andrew edmunds
- taking a walk along the canal and brunch at daisy green
- Jamavar (again an expensive recommendation but my american friends always love it)
- brasserie zedel/wollesely/delaunay

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

For fish & chips, Poppies is pretty good. Go to the one by Spitalfields, not Old Compton Street.

Spittlefields Market is good for a wander and desert options too, and depending on how much walking you feel like doing you can head to Brick Lane or Box Park in Shoreditch. Seems like a curry/Indiam would be a good shout as well, there's the Dishoom chain (not aware of a bad one) or somewhere on Brick Lane.

And second on Brasserie Zedel, for somewhere off Picadilly it's not too touristy, kind of a hidden gem, but probably best to book.

How's Korean in NY? We've got Bibimbap (small chain specialized in the dish of the same name) and Arang is a good one on Golden Square near Carnaby Street/Oxford Circus.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 31, 2023

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

To be fair if you want tacos, Europe is not the continent for you :shobon:

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I'll rep Bermondsey Street for date night restaurants:

Flour and Grape
Jose/Pizarro
Casse-Croute/Piquenique
Baccala
Texas Joes
Kin + Deum

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
These look great! thanks all

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I just had some pretty good tacos from the pop up stall at Brick Brewery next to Peckham Rye station

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

There's supposedly a good Taco joint in Farringdon called Breddos - haven't been myself though
Also down the road there is Laksa which is a really good Malay place with good pricing

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Looks like they're closed Sundays and Mondays, I'll try to check them out. Also want to check out OutPost pizza by Westfield Stratford.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’ve found out about deep dish pizza place Japes on Dean St. They claim to do Chicago style deep dish, but every photo of them looks nothing like it to my experienced eye.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve found out about deep dish pizza place Japes on Dean St. They claim to do Chicago style deep dish, but every photo of them looks nothing like it to my experienced eye.

I've been there, was good but I don't recall seeing a Chicago style, as in deep sauce over cheese, although I had a white one. Or maybe there's more than one Chicago style and they just have to be tall, which this was.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I now live in Chicago and that is neither Chicago deep dish or the other, superior Chicago pizza type.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Kaiho posted:

I now live in Chicago and that is neither Chicago deep dish or the other, superior Chicago pizza type.

Lou Malnati’s or Giordano’s?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Both do a passable deep dish (and Pequod's spanks both), but aren't the True Chicago Pizza Style.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh the thin crust? Eh, I can take it or leave it. Maybe I’ve never had a good one.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Diet Crack posted:

Also down the road there is Laksa which is a really good Malay place with good pricing

Speaking of laksa does anyone have any other good recommendations? I've been craving this since moving to London and haven't really found many spots.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Fists Up posted:

Speaking of laksa does anyone have any other good recommendations? I've been craving this since moving to London and haven't really found many spots.

I just made some. Thai red curry paste, curry powder, coconut milk, lemongrass, garlic, ginger and the veg and protein of your choice. Really easy, really good!

There's a place in Chinatown that is known for it, just off Wardour. C&R cafe, maybe?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I'll be in London next week for a few days, does anyone have Tipps regarding:

- which Chinese restaurant in or around Chinatown to go to? (or somewhere reasonably near, my Hotel is in Mayfair and I have no problem walking a bit or taking the tube if it is worth it). Doesn't have to be expensive, I'd rather have authentic everyday food than a fancy affair.

- where to eat near ExCel? Is there anything in that area worth trying or should I rather look elsewhere?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
My personal favourites were Imperial China for the lunchtime dim sum menu or Leong's Legend for an evening meal.

That being said I moved out of London like 4 years ago now, but my company credit card used to take a right old pasting around Chinatown.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Hopper posted:

- where to eat near ExCel? Is there anything in that area worth trying or should I rather look elsewhere?

I'm open to being contradicted here, but actually near the Excel is a bit soulless and corporate.

I think you'd have to get back to Canning town or even further if you wanted somewhere reasonably accessible or authentic.

If you do find somewhere good, let us know!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Oh the thin crust? Eh, I can take it or leave it. Maybe I’ve never had a good one.

Where in Chicago did you go for tavern style? I've had a few and they're surprisingly different from each other, but all very different from anything outside the city.

Hopper posted:

Look elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like the area around Excel is what I expected. I have been to Trinity buoy wharf to see the lighthouse before and that whole area was well... not too great.