Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Lightning spear is fun because it's like having a lightning version of Yondu's arrow thing from Guardians of the Galaxy. Plus there's an aspect that gives it a decent chance of having a duplicate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jows
May 8, 2002

I see the maxroll guide for twisting daggers rogue says poison trap, but I don't like using poison trap. Shadow imbue is way more fun.

I think I dislike builds that put your own fire on the ground. Years of wow trained me to not stand in the fire, so having fire that's okay to stand in that's a slightly different shade of green than fire that's not okay to stand in is too complicated for my old rear end.

Jows fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 2, 2023

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

this is what I'm doing and it's super engaging

When you get into the flow of twisting daggers it feels so good.

then my brain craps out and I panic and do everything wrong for 10 seconds

FootballFreak2
Jan 8, 2023

Some of these posts sound like they are from people who have never played a Diablo game before

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Jows posted:

I see the maxroll guide for twisting daggers rogue says poison trap, but I don't like using poison trap. Shadow imbue is way more fun.

I think I dislike builds that put your own fire on the ground. Years of wow trained me to not stand in the fire, so having fire that's okay to stand in that's a slightly different shade of green than fire that's not okay to stand in is too complicated for my old rear end.

Same, I didn't like poison trap either.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

fire sorceress looks fun

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Mayveena posted:

How are folks' Butcher encounters going? Anyone beat him? I hit him at level 10 with a Druid. That was a sad ending.

My butcher encounter went as follows:

while mowing down a very large pack of mobs one of them seemed to be beefier than the rest "oh. OH" and then I died a few seconds later. He was hiding in plain sight

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Gearman posted:

Legendaries will change it quite a bit.

OK that's good to hear so these leveling builds are just to get to the good parts.

Have I got to beat the game to unlock more difficulties? 2 doesn't seem like many monsters etc.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

flashman posted:

OK that's good to hear so these leveling builds are just to get to the good parts.

Have I got to beat the game to unlock more difficulties? 2 doesn't seem like many monsters etc.

Yes, but I don’t think I’ve seen anything about mob density increasing

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FootballFreak2 posted:

Some of these posts sound like they are from people who have never played a Diablo game before

drat, that's hosed up

FootballFreak2
Jan 8, 2023

Like Uh, the story sucks and there’s only a few ways to play each class? Yeah welcome to Diablo. I hope you like spending 100s of hours spamming Frozen orb

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
*loads up 3rd party Demon Bucket Analyzer* to understand what's going on here, we need to git gud... at multiplication!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Numberwang!!! posted:

Both of my hands are hosed so I'm with you here.

If you're using a controller the game basically has auto-aim.... Most of the time it will cast directly towards the nearest mob.

So I can walk into a pack of mobs and cast chain lightning 3 or 4 times and that will usually end the fight.

You can ALSO make it so pressing a button once will toggle spam that skill. Which might save some clicks but generally doesn't seem worth it.

I have the 8BitDo controller software which allows me to make simple macros. Like pressing 1 button will activate all Barb Shouts. I might eventually try to get AutoHotKey to work but there's some 3rd party crap you have to install to get joypad support.

I think the minion build is supposed to be dog poo poo but you can also give that a shot.

thanks for the detailed reply; I'm gonna roll with chain lit sorc to start (like I did in beta)!

FootballFreak2
Jan 8, 2023

I think my main gripe (having not played it yet) is the aspect system, I’d like trading and having to rely on found items but it’s not a big deal

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

FootballFreak2 posted:

I think my main gripe (having not played it yet) is the aspect system, I’d like trading and having to rely on found items but it’s not a big deal

You'll still be prioritizing found items, since the codex aspects always give min rolls.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

FootballFreak2 posted:

Like Uh, the story sucks and there’s only a few ways to play each class? Yeah welcome to Diablo. I hope you like spending 100s of hours spamming Frozen orb

I uh don't really think the story sucks at all, so far. Presentation is certainly head and shoulders above anything else they've ever done in Diablo and the side content (not all of it, but certainly a bunch of it) is actually meaningful and entertaining, which is a first for the series.

I'm not saying it's loving literature or anything but it's far from the worst video game story I've enjoyed and it's a pretty good overwrought Diablo devils and angels yarn. Some of the in-game cinematics are really well composed - you can tell the art team really likes giving Lillith dramatic entrances.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
i enjoyed the brief story in the beta, especially the church cutscene

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Im not super far in but the writing is already substantially better than Diablo 3, which isn't exactly a high bar but still.

The in-engine cutscenes are very excellently done as well, that's my favorite part of the game so far.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

FFT posted:

Well, there's a quite large crow that is a representation of something else entirely that makes a spectacular appearance around the act 4-5 transition.

Also, the Prava In Hell cinematic that was used for trailers? The whole thing is Diablo Four times longer and I had to take a break after it.

Yeah that cinematic is beyond phenomenal. I had to as well.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a continuation of this Packleader build for Druid that goes beyond level 25 anywhere?

Edit: Oh I see in the intro they mention the Toxic Werewolf build being basically that.

FootballFreak2
Jan 8, 2023

I have played countless hours of d1,d2, and d3 and have zero knowledge about the lore. I don’t know what a soulstone is besides a way to get a rune.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's a shiny rock that's used to trap a big demon but it was actually a trick by the big demons to get them closer to their goal of taking over the world by combining them all into a bigger demon.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I've been idly trawling bnet and the diablo sub while bored at work and I forgot how vile a lot of blizzard fans are.

Thank God there's no global chat

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Chain Lightning Sorc is good. I like the playstyle.

FootballFreak2
Jan 8, 2023

Fajita Queen posted:

It's a shiny rock that's used to trap a big demon but it was actually a trick by the big demons to get them closer to their goal of taking over the world by combining them all into a bigger demon.

And you have to use the Hell Forge Hammer to destroy it at the Hell Forge, for a chance to get a good rune

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I have completed the campaign to the point of getting to the Tree of Whispers adventure mode stuff.

18 hours straight like a machine.

I already had high expectations for the story, but I was still impressed.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

And there's still hours upon hours of content in sidequests (and well dungeons technically are also content) to go

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Good Citizen posted:

When you get into the flow of twisting daggers it feels so good.

then my brain craps out and I panic and do everything wrong for 10 seconds

you get to be a dashing ninja throwing shurikens everywhere. what's not to love

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
I've been enjoying the story so far. Granted, I went in with zero expectations after D3 but what they have here is solid for Diablo. Actually looking forward to more story content.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bear Druid seems to work for me. I prioritize health and fortification and slam things

Health and fortification are Dps stats

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

FootballFreak2 posted:

I have played countless hours of d1,d2, and d3 and have zero knowledge about the lore. I don’t know what a soulstone is besides a way to get a rune.

Hell same. That said, the spectacle and scene chewing and pulp of the story in IV is entertaining as hell.

I think my only complaint along those lines is that the gloomy look and feel is kinda fatiguing. I felt that way in the beta and seems some reviewers agreed. It's no dealbreaker and the style is incredible, but it would be nice to get the occasional change in tone.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

When do I get my horse!?

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Fajita Queen posted:

Im not super far in but the writing is already substantially better than Diablo 3, which isn't exactly a high bar but still.

Is tone and the quality of the writing the main difference from D3 would you guys say?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

To make sure I'm understanding the mechanic correctly - I have a mace with a 1.0-1.4% chance to execute injured non-elites on a Lucky Hit. If I use Lightning Storm which has a 15% Lucky Hit chance on it, that means Lightning Storm needs to proc, and THEN the mace has its chance to proc its effect? So the actual chance for the mace's effect to activate is somewhere around 0.24%?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

fadam posted:

When do I get my horse!?

I think you get it after beating the story once.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
better or worse than grim dawn?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Jows posted:

I like shadow more because you later on get Consuming Shadows and stop running out of energy so quick

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Way better than GD in a lot of ways. Way worse in other ways

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

euphronius posted:

Way better than GD in a lot of ways. Way worse in other ways

elaborate, if you please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

frest posted:

elaborate, if you please

All imho:

D4 looks better, better animations, better quests, better over-world, better bosses and dungeons, better looking gear

D4 has worse skills, skill trees, items, item interactions with skills

Neutral: classes

I haven’t played endgame yet so who knows about that. Don’t know about crafting