Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Pook Good Mook posted:

They're uncool nerds that no one wants to sit with at lunch. They're bringing the rest of us cool people down with them.

Spot the dude that's never seen a tax lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Patent troll is the only good profession left in America.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Sab0921 posted:

Patent troll is the only good profession left in America.

I didn’t realize Larry Ellison was a goon.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
lmao

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

ulmont posted:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

EwokEntourage posted:

bankruptcy attorneys doing that texas two step bullshit give the rest of a bad name.

but but but

have you considered what if giant corporations don't like the tort system? what then? would you deny them the right to opt out of it?!?!?!?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

ulmont posted:

Psh, IP lawyers wish they were as cool as tax lawyers.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

evilweasel posted:

but but but

have you considered what if giant corporations don't like the tort system? what then? would you deny them the right to opt out of it?!?!?!?

im sure neal katyal has that oral argument already booked on his calendar

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Opinion that’s going to make people mad:

The value of law school is that, compared to undergrad, it is a moderately more fair bloodsport and the inherent acumen necessary to win said bloodsport is vaguely useful when you start working.

It isn’t absolute. There are killer lawyers who got bad grades at bad law schools, and on the other side, Yale law grads exist.

But it is a helpful heuristic in the first instance.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kumete but instead of a crowd chanting it you just join the Federalist Society

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bushido Brown posted:

The value of law school is that, compared to undergrad, it is a moderately more fair bloodsport and the inherent acumen necessary to win said bloodsport is vaguely useful when you start working.

It isn’t absolute. There are killer lawyers who got bad grades at bad law schools, and on the other side, Yale law grads exist.

Ehh, the better argument along these lines is that, yes, it is hazing, and so is the bar exam, but both are fairly close approximations of 1) the way judges will treat you and 2) the stress of an actual trial, so they have value respectively in prepping you for those things

either of which would be much better arguments if the median lawyer was in court more than once a year, which isn't really the case

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Bushido Brown posted:

The main value of law school is then being able to work somewhere other than Starbucks with a political science degree

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

ulmont posted:

Tax lawyers are the biggest nerds in any firm but they have the highest billing rates so they get some amount of respect. Also they’re the only ones at my firm who know how to make reorg slide decks for some reason.

IP lawyers aren’t so much nerds as they are annoying, like they got an actually “useful” undergrad degree and are God’s greatest gift to man even though their value add is inevitably just “hey I know how the USPTO and copyright office websites work”.

Bankruptcy attorneys in Texas are great because they’re all Yosemite Sam

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Toona the Cat posted:

The main value of law school is then being able to work somewhere other than Starbucks with a political science degree

[insert disdainful, thinly veiled elitism here]

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ehh, the better argument along these lines is that, yes, it is hazing, and so is the bar exam, but both are fairly close approximations of 1) the way judges will treat you and 2) the stress of an actual trial, so they have value respectively in prepping you for those things

either of which would be much better arguments if the median lawyer was in court more than once a year, which isn't really the case

I mean my law school exams were much more akin to "write this brief under a time crunch" which isn't really trial work. But yeah the primary benefit of law schools is the tiering (which did you get in, what was your rank there).

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
On a different note, has anyone used Kira Systems for discovery work? I absolutely hate discovery to the point where I'm willing to get my firm to use it so that they can pay me less to never have to draft another round of pointless interrogatories.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

I mean my law school exams were much more akin to "write this brief under a time crunch" which isn't really trial work.

Yeah it's not actually teaching you any trial skills other than verifying your ability to work and think under a time crunch and intense pressure.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

disjoe posted:

Tax lawyers are the biggest nerds in any firm but they have the highest billing rates so they get some amount of respect. Also they’re the only ones at my firm who know how to make reorg slide decks for some reason.

IP lawyers aren’t so much nerds as they are annoying, like they got an actually “useful” undergrad degree and are God’s greatest gift to man even though their value add is inevitably just “hey I know how the USPTO and copyright office websites work”.

Bankruptcy attorneys in Texas are great because they’re all Yosemite Sam

Tax lawyers in my experience are part of that accountant/lawyer/rich person tripartite relationship that generates lots more cross-marketing estate planning/m&A/litigation business than litigators can generate transactional business from their clients. Especially if the litigators are casualty/insurance defense.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

People in the law thread, of all places, won't be scandalized by the idea that higher education is often just about filtering. Even I consider the school people attended or their class rank or similar signals (dean's list, whatever) when hiring, and I find that kind of thing to be generally distasteful. But that's an argument against bloated law school curriculums, not in favor. Just make people take a bunch of tests if we're just going to be hazing them and then using their academic achievement as a proxy for lawyering ability.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Having a bunch of tests works pretty well imo

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I networked in law school instead of studying. Literally first semester of law I stopped studying to go work for a Supreme Court candidate as his driver for his campaign. It’s been a killer reference for me but now I have a decent body of work.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

The Dagda posted:

People in the law thread, of all places, won't be scandalized by the idea that higher education is often just about filtering. Even I consider the school people attended or their class rank or similar signals (dean's list, whatever) when hiring, and I find that kind of thing to be generally distasteful. But that's an argument against bloated law school curriculums, not in favor. Just make people take a bunch of tests if we're just going to be hazing them and then using their academic achievement as a proxy for lawyering ability.

Yeah but it's a lame form of hazing, unlike, IDK, the hazing you do when some land lubber crosses the line for the first time.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Toona the Cat posted:

I networked in law school instead of studying. Literally first semester of law I stopped studying to go work for a Supreme Court candidate as his driver for his campaign. It’s been a killer reference for me but now I have a decent body of work.

yes toona we all know about your style of ... networking

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Toona the Cat posted:

Does uber eats check references

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

sullat posted:

Yeah but it's a lame form of hazing, unlike, IDK, the hazing you do when some land lubber crosses the line for the first time.

Gotta suck a cherry off of my toes if you want to be a judge

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
I mean if it puts me on the track to get wined and dined by billionaires, sure.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

EwokEntourage posted:

im sure neal katyal has that oral argument already booked on his calendar
Are you sure he has time between all the arguments in favor of confiscating assets from granny?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cousin in another state is asking for a good immigration lawyer other than searching google. How did we decide this before? Checking in with the local bar? I forget.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Cousin in another state is asking for a good immigration lawyer other than searching google. How did we decide this before? Checking in with the local bar? I forget.

Better to use the AILA referral service in this case than the regular bar one: https://www.ailalawyer.com

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just sent the site to the person who asked. Thanks!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

So remember this? The lawyers are now in a sanctions hearing that is, uh, not going well
https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1666842357986197506

Piell fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 8, 2023

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1666851782239170576

It just keeps getting worse

I have vague memories of a guy having a rough hearing with a judge, he hid in the gallery, then when the judge was about to rule he jumped up to defend himself. Anyone remember that and the outcome?

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 8, 2023

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Christopher Hook! Told opposing counsel in writing to eat a bowl of dicks, among other things. Looks like he was ordered to pay ~18k in sanctions.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yes of the famous "tell you what slick, this profession does not need you."

It doesn't need Schwartz either, good lord.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Yep, that's the guy. Feels like an eternity ago, since it happened right before COVID

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Wasn’t that the “10,000,000 gay boys” guy

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Wasn’t that the “10,000,000 gay boys” guy

Yes, and he's apparently still practicing: http://cghlaw.com/

"Following my undergraduate degree, I attended Thomas Jefferson School of Law in San Diego, California, where I graduated with a J.D. in May of 2007. I was granted a full academic scholarship to attend Thomas Jefferson after scoring in the top 3% of LSAT (Law School Admissions Test) takers in 2002. While in law school, I was a member of the Admiralty Law Society, and team captain of the Duberstein Bankruptcy Moot Court competition team, competing in a national competition held at St. John’s University in New York."

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

Furious Lobster posted:

On a different note, has anyone used Kira Systems for discovery work? I absolutely hate discovery to the point where I'm willing to get my firm to use it so that they can pay me less to never have to draft another round of pointless interrogatories.

I use Kira extensively for contract review but never discovery. Not sure it would be very useful in that regard. The license, from what I've been told, is not cheap.

But I hear this new fangled thing called ChatGPT will create case law for you.

Compusaurus fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 9, 2023

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I read the briefing in the ChatGPT case, and while it is really funny, I do think this is a case of old people being old (and also cheap).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Tokelau All Star posted:

I read the briefing in the ChatGPT case, and while it is really funny, I do think this is a case of old people being old (and also cheap).

All of those fuckers saying they rely on loving fastcase is just mind boggling. It really is insufficient compared to west/lexis.