Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Hexigrammus posted:

So what was going on with Taiwan's fab plants and low reservoir levels a couple of years ago? Might have just been crappy reporting but I was under the impression they had to curtail production.

They probably don’t recycle the water because gently caress it? No idea tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

smoobles posted:

Barb is kinda tedious at level 20 but hopefully I find my first legendary soon

Does the world tier level only affect gold & xp or are drops better?

you'll actually see a lot less in terms of gold and drops but there will be a sharp increase in difficulty and xp

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
They've been at it a long time so old plant and procedures, so yeah, that would make sense.

Still seems less than ideal. It's probably a lights-out operation in Arizona so they can just unbolt the equipment and ship it out on a fleet of semis to somewhere with water when they find out they're below golf courses and koi ponds on the priority list for what little they need.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Gentleman, it's been a pleasure

I choose to spend my final days playing Diablo 4, early access, druid, pulverize build.

Ign ToastyEarth

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Hit Man posted:

Gentleman, it's been a pleasure

I choose to spend my final days playing Diablo 4, early access, druid, pulverize build.

Ign ToastyEarth

i played a barb and wasn't impressed

might go wizard idk

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
if I was an Arizona politician, I would simply make hot chip and lie

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hexigrammus posted:

They've been at it a long time so old plant and procedures, so yeah, that would make sense.

Still seems less than ideal. It's probably a lights-out operation in Arizona so they can just unbolt the equipment and ship it out on a fleet of semis to somewhere with water when they find out they're below golf courses and koi ponds on the priority list for what little they need.
This is….. not how modern semiconductor fabs work. Each lithography machine (cost >$200M) takes an entire airplane to ship from the factory to the fab. They’re full of extremely sensitive equipment that has to be packaged careful for transport to avoid damage as well as particulate contamination. They’re manufactured, assembled, and operated in a strict clean room environment. When you’re using light to etch nanometer-scale features into a surface, a single note of dust can really gently caress things up. The auxiliary/support systems in the fab are extensive. Fab construction is a huge investment, on the order of several billion dollars NOT counting the cost of the lithography machines you install there.

You don’t just pick up and move a semiconductor fab across the state/country.

bawfuls has issued a correction as of 19:21 on Jun 2, 2023

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

bawfuls posted:

This is….. not how modern semiconductor fabs work. Each lithography machine (cost >$200M) takes an entire airplane to ship from the factory to the fab. They’re full of extremely sensitive equipment that has to be packaged careful for transport to avoid damage as well as particulate contamination. They’re manufactured, assembled, and operated in a strict clean room environment. The auxiliary/support systems in the fab are extensive. Fab construction is a huge investment, on the order of several billion dollars NOT counting the cost of the lithography machines you install there.

You don’t just pick up and move a semiconductor fab across the state/country.

not with that attitude!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I've moved semiconductor fabs around before. It's not that hard.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Other fun fact about semiconductor manufacturing, the fabs and machines are so expensive that everything is about minimizing downtime. The cost of just one lithography machine being down is on the order of millions of dollars per hour.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
I missed the last ten pages, can someone fill me in on how surreally we're hosed?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Last couple very hot years have not been El nino and this year we're getting an extra strong El nino I think that's more or less the summary.

Ministry of the Future, now

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

4d3d3d posted:

I missed the last ten pages, can someone fill me in on how surreally we're hosed?

we're in... hot water

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

4d3d3d posted:

it was 98 degrees in my backyard today and I live in upstate NY

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

we're in... hot water

hot water but definitely rationed

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

45F in Finland. Yesterday it rained sleet? We always joke that it’s normal Midsummer if it rains so but maybe this year it will finally be true?

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

4d3d3d posted:

The oceans have begun to boil, superheating to the point where ancient carbon stores below the sea are being burned off. Slowly the sun is choked out by clouds of smoke and sea vapor. The massive weight of hydrocarbons in the atmosphere is beginning to hyper pressurize the surface, obliterating all surface life and organic mass and welding everything it doesn't burn away to the surface of the earth. Heat that could boil iron is all that remains of the surface of the planet and our demonic people

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Dang

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

4d3d3d posted:

Say it with me:

the 👏 economists 👏 will 👏 save 👏 us

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

The oceans have begun to boil, superheating to the point where ancient carbon stores below the sea are being burned off. Slowly the sun is choked out by clouds of smoke and sea vapor. The massive weight of hydrocarbons in the atmosphere is beginning to hyper pressurize the surface, obliterating all surface life and organic mass and welding everything it doesn't burn away to the surface of the earth. Heat that could boil iron is all that remains of the surface of the planet and our demonic people

*pounds table*

VE-NUS

VE-NUS

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

True, but I just heard on NPR the other day about this amazing new carbon capture plant that has the backing of Google and other tech companies. They take farm crops, boil them in a reactor to turn it into oil, then inject the oil underground, trapping the carbon forever. Silicon Valley can- do will save us!

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Harold Fjord posted:

Last couple very hot years have not been El nino and this year we're getting an extra strong El nino I think that's more or less the summary.

Ministry of the Future, now

Also regulations of sea shipping fuel pollution has resulted in more warming in the oceans since the reflection of sunlight from those particles was basically accidentally geoengineering the seas to be colder. Faustian Bargain.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Faustus lived the high life for a pretty good long while, seems like a decent bargain to me

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
faust, during his life, sowing: hahaha! gently caress yeah!

faust's eternal soul in hell, reaping: what the gently caress, this sucks

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

mdemone posted:

*pounds table*

VE-NUS

VE-NUS

*Brings a steamy hot earth out on a platter* "would you prefer a hearty lithosphere cut, or some of this delectable, well-marbled atmosphere?"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Wait did Faust sneak out of the contract at the 11th hour, or was that when he started to realize he majorly hosed up?

Totally where the term 11th hour came from tho. Also the doomsday clock metaphor iirc.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Hubbert posted:

Hubbert posted:

Climate change is a Faustian bargain. It's what we're willing to do, as a collective species, to keep our lives as they are right now. Industrial global civilization depends on fossil fuel energy and will consume whatever remains in nature, land or ocean. We're living in our own pollutants. Welcome to the Holocene Extinction - either a species either adapts, or it doesn't.

The Long Descent, John Michael Greer posted:

What makes Marlowe’s retelling of the story one of Elizabethan England’s great dramas, though, is his insight into the psychology of Faustus’ damnation. Faustus spends nearly the entire play a heartbeat away from escaping the devil’s pact that ultimately drags him to his doom. All he has to do is renounce the pact and all the powers and pleasures it brings him, and salvation is his — but this is exactly what he cannot do. He becomes so focused on his sorcerer’s powers, so used to getting what he wants by ordering Mephistopheles around, that the possibility of getting anything any other way slips out of his grasp. Even at the very end, as the devils drag him away, the last words that burst from his lips are a cry for Mephistopheles to save him.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Laterite posted:

faust, during his life, sowing: hahaha! gently caress yeah!

faust's eternal soul in hell, reaping: what the gently caress, this sucks

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 04:36 on Jun 3, 2023

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Wait did Faust sneak out of the contract at the 11th hour, or was that when he started to realize he majorly hosed up?

Totally where the term 11th hour came from tho. Also the doomsday clock metaphor iirc.

Nope he got dragged to hell

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
[Biosphere Collapse] "Simply Too Warm"

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

OIL PANIC posted:

[Biosphere Collapse] "Simply Too Warm"

great username/post combo

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Laredo, TX is gonna be scorched the whole week of June 11

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I like to think OIL PANIC is Hubbert's alt when he wants to shitpost instead of posting research PDFs and thoughtful thinkpieces.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Microplastics posted:

I like to think OIL PANIC is Hubbert's alt when he wants to shitpost instead of posting research PDFs and thoughtful thinkpieces.

wrong

i'm a free spirit, binch

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Oh I know it's wrong, but it's the username the original Hubbert would choose for a shitpost alt I'm sure :D

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

4d3d3d posted:

this might be a good summer to quit your job and go visit family/friends and go see a lot of things you've always wanted to see and probably take a huge amount of magic mushrooms to get early access to the dissolution of self

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
lol yeah we're so hosed

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Gravid Topiary posted:

this might be a good summer to quit your job and go visit family/friends and go see a lot of things you've always wanted to see and probably take a huge amount of magic mushrooms to get early access to the dissolution of self
i don't condone hedonism and it's probably still not a good idea to quit the job as economy is rapidly going to poo poo and unemployment blasting off and government is grinding the masses into meat pulp to resell on the free market, but definitely if there's anything you've always wanted to see then now is the best time

we've got a few trips planned up later this year bucket-list style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Suddenly it makes sense why there are more planes in the air than ever this year, everyone is just trying to get through their bucket list while there's still time.