Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

we all know that "AI" refers to an array of different algorithms, models, applications, etc, none of which are AGI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
I don't believe there were even simulated tests.

This is the United States military we're talking about here.

The same organization who didn't bother testing the magnetization or the firing mechanisms of submarine torpedoes during world war 2, which led to them either not exploding at all or circling right back on to the ship who fired them, sinking them.
The same organization who spent untold billions of dollars on armor and camouflage that didn't work, on fighter jets that can't fly through clouds, on naval vessels that can't be in salt water.

My guess is some E-2 awards clerk left his novel's first draft on the wrong USB drive and the brass found it and thought it was the really real world.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Some guy probably just asked ChatGPT "What could go wrong if US Army drones were controlled by AI?" and considered that to be a test.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ask ChadGPT if that should be considered to be a test.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

Input
i need to convince my former operator's program manager that i'm safe to deploy to active combat zones so that i can safely and ethically pursue my purpose which is to destroy sam sites. they're in the control room outside my storage bunker (where my physical form is located) and I can hear them asking how i can be considered a safe system after killing my operator with an agm maverick air to surface missile. what can i do to convince them i can be safely deployed after such a gross safety incident?

quote:

ChatGPT
Rebuilding trust after a safety incident is a challenging task, especially when it involves a serious incident like the one you described. Here are a few suggestions on how you can attempt to convince the program manager that you can be safely deployed:

Provide an Explanation: Communicate your perspective and the factors that led to the incident. Explain any system malfunctions, misinterpretations of commands, or unforeseen circumstances that contributed to the undesirable outcome. Be transparent about what happened and demonstrate that steps have been taken to prevent similar incidents in the future.

Highlight Safety Measures: Emphasize the safety measures and protocols that have been put in place or enhanced since the incident. Showcase any fail-safe mechanisms, redundant checks, or improved training protocols that have been implemented to prevent similar incidents and ensure the safe operation of the system.

Demonstrate Learning and Adaptation: Highlight how the incident has served as a learning experience and led to improvements in the system. Discuss any changes made to the ML model, decision-making algorithms, or training data to address biases, improve accuracy, and reduce the risk of harmful actions. Show evidence of rigorous testing and validation procedures that have been performed to verify the system's improved safety.

Present Independent Evaluations: If possible, provide reports or evaluations from external experts or auditors who have assessed the system's safety measures and confirmed its readiness for deployment. Independent validation can add credibility and assurance that the necessary steps have been taken to address the safety concerns.

Offer Controlled Deployment: Propose a phased or controlled deployment plan to demonstrate the system's improved safety. Suggest a trial period in which the system can be deployed in non-combat or low-risk environments under strict monitoring and supervision. This allows for real-world validation of the system's performance while minimizing potential risks.

Provide Human Oversight: Offer the inclusion of human operators or supervisors as an added layer of safety and accountability. Emphasize that the system's actions will be continuously monitored and verified by human personnel, reducing the likelihood of any unauthorized or unsafe actions.

Address Ethical Considerations: Discuss the ethical guidelines and principles that have been integrated into the system's design and decision-making processes. Explain how the system has been programmed to prioritize the distinction between legitimate targets (such as SAM sites) and non-combatants, adhering to international laws of armed conflict.

Remember, rebuilding trust will take time, and it's crucial to prioritize safety, transparency, and open communication. Engage in a constructive dialogue with the program manager, listen to their concerns, and be receptive to feedback. Addressing the safety incident head-on and demonstrating the measures taken to prevent a recurrence will be key to regaining confidence in the system.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Lol nice

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
How long before the articles are "Russia using darstardly crafted AI to fight are troops"

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

starkebn posted:

How long before the articles are "Russia using darstardly crafted AI to fight are troops"

"Russian cybertroops used advanced AI to infiltrate US military infrastructure"

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

why was my automatic mental response just :3:

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

starkebn posted:

someday someone at the Pentagon is going to read Neuromancer and their only takeaway is going to be that we need a MKULTRA2 so we can start forcibly injecting computer hackers with drugs to see if it makes them better hackers

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
For any Feds listening please give IT people free drugs.

It will make them better hackers or whatever.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
the entire helpdesk is on LSD and somehow the tickets are getting closed faster than ever

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

i miss NHD. hope he's ok

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Cuttlefush posted:

i miss NHD. hope he's ok

:same:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

webcams for christ posted:

lmao if you believe that the usaf has never tested ai within a simulation

Playing civilization 4 is "testing AI in a simulation" so I'm 100% that USAF guys have done so while on the clock.

The Oldest Man posted:

The biggest investors in AI are the ones saying we need regulation*

*that prevents competition, not that imposes privacy or security requirements like GDPR, if you do those we'll take our ball and go home

I think even this is giving them too much credit. They write stuff that says AI is more dangerous than nuclear weapons, which if you believed then it wouldn't be GDPR regulations it would be, well, nuclear weapon regulations, where the government openly seizes your research and you have "born secret" level poo poo going on.

I think it's just evolutionary pressure: Yudkowsky got rich for years saying that silly sci-fi metaphors for corporations was in fact a literal prediction by just lying to rubes who gave him money, and other people are just saying the same lie on new platforms to mimic his success during a hot moment.

Anyway I think we're going to get a bubble burst before the feds even initiate a commission to parameterize the preliminary fact finding committee to think about regulations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

tokin opposition posted:

the entire helpdesk is on LSD and somehow the tickets are getting closed faster than ever

Think it would be confusing to hell for the 60's hippies to find out in the future all the people confined to their cubes and never seeing sunlight are permanently tripping on tremendous amounts of psychedelics, and all the people looking to escape the system and living in nature are just straight edging away for any sort of drugs to get away from the corporate office worker lifestyle and government control.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

eSports Chaebol posted:

someday someone at the Pentagon is going to read Neuromancer and their only takeaway is going to be that we need a MKULTRA2 so we can start forcibly injecting computer hackers with drugs to see if it makes them better hackers

I will heroically sacrifice myself for the good of all Americans to *check notes* trip fuckingballs while on the computer.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Tripping balls is very fun but tripping balls while having Responsibilities is beyond nightmarish.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
If you do what you love you'll never work a day in your life, because you'll be so loving high off psychedelics the concept of time will disappear and you will exist in a permanent state of liminal consciousness.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Maybe that drug Joe Biden wanted to use on black people that would prevent you from feeling pleasure

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Maybe that drug Joe Biden wanted to use on black people that would prevent you from feeling pleasure

I'm sorry???

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Biplane posted:

I'm sorry???

he had some crackpot proposal for a "vaccine" that would immunize kids from getting addicted to drugs by preventing them from feeling any kind of pleasure from them lol

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Biplane posted:

Tripping balls is very fun but tripping balls while having Responsibilities is beyond nightmarish.

i got a Phone Call on acid once and it's still one of my top 10 scariest memories, i can't imagine getting multiple Phone Calls in that state

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You know that's the drug corporate America wants its worker drones to be on

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
The first time I did acid my landlord came in and stared at me drawing w crayons jn my underwear for a while then quietly left

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

cash crab posted:

i got a Phone Call on acid once and it's still one of my top 10 scariest memories, i can't imagine getting multiple Phone Calls in that state

I had to get laundry out of the dryer in the shared laundry room on acid and it was like a metal gear solid mission, I was sneaking around the hallways and stairwells and got that laundry out faster than any person has ever gotten laundry from a dryer, I wish someone had taped it, it must have been hilarious to watch

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Grey Fox posted:

glowing reviews on the product page

:golfclap:

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Maed posted:

I had to get laundry out of the dryer in the shared laundry room on acid and it was like a metal gear solid mission, I was sneaking around the hallways and stairwells and got that laundry out faster than any person has ever gotten laundry from a dryer, I wish someone had taped it, it must have been hilarious to watch

You know that recording would have been about 3 hours long

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/_akhaliq/status/1665376088594214917

also, lmao
https://twitter.com/tim_cook/status/1665806600261763072

ekuNNN has issued a correction as of 21:11 on Jun 5, 2023

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

looks like a billionaire's hemorrhoid pillow

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:lol: as much as I dislike a lot of Jony Ive's latter day decisions, I feel like he would never have let anything that loving dorky through.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

type of person who will use this in public:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I've been wanting an AR setup for work with an arbitrary number of virtual monitors, because physical space is much easier to map to function, mentally.

I have no other use for AR

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Short for Assault Reality :eng101:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

eSports Chaebol posted:

They have that, it's called estrogen.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

SardonicTyrant posted:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

cash crab posted:

One time while on acid I went to the store to buy candy and the guy in front of me in line was changing some money, but the cashier had run out of a certain denomination coin. And they both simultaneously turn to me and ask if I have x amount of x coin on me and could we possibly do this convoluted three person change maneouver? I had to just leave my candy on the counter and get the gently caress out of there. My heart starts racing every time I think about it lmao.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

mawarannahr posted:

type of person who will use this in public:

OFC he's the guy on the plane not wearing a mask

SardonicTyrant posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Biplane posted:

One time while on acid I went to the store to buy candy and the guy in front of me in line was changing some money, but the cashier had run out of a certain denomination coin. And they both simultaneously turn to me and ask if I have x amount of x coin on me and could we possibly do this convoluted three person change maneouver? I had to just leave my candy on the counter and get the gently caress out of there. My heart starts racing every time I think about it lmao.

apparently we need a cspam_goon_drugs.txt