Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Is it a perfect episode, like of course not, but if Move along home is the dystopian future that humanity is destined to be trapped in for the rest of it's existence, than yeah sure, so be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Does anything cool happen to Yoshi O'Brien in the books?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

As you watch through DS9 for the first time, remember: Odo is always naked

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

FuturePastNow posted:

As you watch through DS9 for the first time, remember: Odo is always naked

Be especially sure to think of this when he does his coffee cup trick 🤢

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like when it implies that Weyoun has hobbies outside the dominion, like at the end of the baseball card episode where he adopts the mad scientist and starts helping him with his dumb idea for "Keeping the cells entertained".

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Soul Dentist posted:

Does anything cool happen to Yoshi O'Brien in the books?

Nope. I think in STO he becomes an engineer, too (but an officer), but the book timeline ends when he's like 13.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Zaroff posted:

It’s Threshold syndrome - there’s a very dull repeated joke about how Threshold is one of the worst things committed to celluloid, whereas in reality it’s a very average Voyager episode, with a batshit insane final 10 minutes.

And then there's the tiny slice of the VOY fandom for whom it's legitimately their favorite episode.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fighting Trousers posted:

And then there's the tiny slice of the VOY fandom for whom it's legitimately their favorite episode.

We don’t talk about them.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

disaster pastor posted:

Nope. I think in STO he becomes an engineer, too (but an officer), but the book timeline ends when he's like 13.

I believe STO had him as a random NPC in Memory Alpha, or something.
This was back in the early days of the game when they couldn't get any likeness rights, and/or Paramount wouldn't let them use any actual characters, so you ended up with children of characters, who may or may not have actually been in the shows. Yoshi O'Brian and Miral Paris showed up, I guess being ok to use because they were only babies when they appeared on the shows.
Then you had made up children, like the son of Thomas Riker showing up for a mission, or the son of Smiley O'Brian leading the new Terran Empire in their mirror universe stuff.

STO is a mess of retcons though (especially when they manage to get someone from the shows to record some dialogue. When they eventually managed to get Kate Mulgrew, rather than just having Janeway in the new missions they made with her, they went back and added Janeway to a bunch of older missions too), with basically all the missions being redone and rewritten most of the time, so I think all of them other than Miral Paris have been removed from the game for years now.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm enjoying Gul Dukat's severe slide from initial friendly narcissism to full blown NPD with a hint of schizophrenia since the situation with Zial. He went from dangerous due to a lack of empathy and ability to justify any action, to dangerous because he's falling into hallucinations and letting a mania take over his judgement. That's how I read him anyway, as someone who genuinely thought of Sisko as an old friend and thought he could have had a chance with Kira if only he could make them see things from his point of view, but being unable to reconcile his opinion of himself with other people's perceptions of his actions. The difference between "You were still a murderous despot who killed a lot of people" and "But I killed LESS people than the previous guys would have!". I like that you can see his faulty logic too, he may have tried to make the occupation less uncomfortable, but he still lacked empathy for the people and a basic level of respect for them, and was unwilling to leave his comfort zone and stick his neck out for them in any real way because he still wanted to be IN CHARGE of them. But you can see why HE would think of himself as a heroic figure within the bounds of being a complete narcissist.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I think Move Along Home gets called out not because it's the worst episode of season 1 but because most of the ways in which DS9 season 1 doesn't work are kinda subtle things like the writers trying to figure out what to do with Bajoran politics or finding the character's voices or the plot being half-baked, or pacing issues, whereas when a TNG season 1 episode isn't working it's like top to bottom not working.

Past Prologue is kinda boring, the Kohn-Ma are really boring but all the stuff with Garak works. The Storyteller feels like a rejected TNG script that makes no sense to be taking place on Bajor but the O'Brien/Bashir relationship shows promise. The Passenger is imo the worst episode of season 1, the directing sucks, they blow the mystery almost immediately and Siddig is floundering in probably his worst performance but it's mostly just boring, it's got nothing on the worst of TNG season 1.

Code of Honor is top to bottom bad, Justice has it's rear end out figuratively and literally the whole episode, Too Short a Season is nothing but bad choices from casting to makeup to script. Angel One is just Gene tricking people into watching his fetish. When early TNG is bad it's a really obvious mess and when early DS9 is bad it's mediocre. But Move Along Home has a sequence where they sing a little hopscotch song, that's a very visible dumb thing that's easy to point to for being bad.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also the Morn running gag is great in DS9. Love the most popular person on the station, chatty friend to all who is always the life of the party, but always just appears on screen like (:<()

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like the episode with Flotter and those other freaks of nature.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

BioEnchanted posted:

Also the Morn running gag is great in DS9. Love the most popular person on the station, chatty friend to all who is always the life of the party, but always just appears on screen like (:<()

The face prosthetic couldn't even move to talk, and the poor guy never got any lines so he was always paid as an extra for being in like almost every loving episode.

Star Trek: behind the scenes thing are always shittier than you had hoped for.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The ensign who drove the Enterprise-D was in like 60 episodes. The ensign had one line once, but they dubbed it with a different voice to the on-set actor, presumably so her employment status wouldn't change.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Veotax posted:

son of Smiley O'Brian leading the new Terran Empire in their mirror universe stuff.

A gender-swapped feral Molly that never got sent back in time twice leading the Terran Empire would legitimately be the coolest e.u. thing ever

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Zaroff posted:

It’s Threshold syndrome - there’s a very dull repeated joke about how Threshold is one of the worst things committed to celluloid, whereas in reality it’s a very average Voyager episode, with a batshit insane final 10 minutes.

The real worst episode is The Fight. Its focused on the absolute worst character in the show (Chakotay), and its mostly just random dream nonsense.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I think Nemesis is both a worse Voyager episode and a worse Chakotay episode.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I think Nemesis is both a worse Voyager episode and a worse Chakotay episode.

Nah, Nemesis is bad, but stuff sort of happens even if most of it is fake and didn't really happen. The Fight is just one long and boring dream sequence with badly done native American stuff.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Lookit this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1WlpDqYwzw

this poo poo is loving tight

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Nah, Nemesis is bad, but stuff sort of happens even if most of it is fake and didn't really happen. The Fight is just one long and boring dream sequence with badly done native American stuff.

I’m basing it on the physical pain of listening to the dialogue.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Grand Fromage posted:

Bong is the appropriate headspace for Move Along Home.

I also don't think it's a good episode, but it is the type of bad episode I prefer, where at least they're trying something even if I don't think it worked. The episodes that are both bad and lazy are the ones I really hate. Insert Voyager joke here.

I hated "Move Along Home" the first time I watched it. I guess it's grown on me, but I'm with this take, that it's bad in a good way. There are a few VOY eps like this, too. "Thaw," for one. That one is usually remembered for that killer Kate Mulgrew monologue at the end, but the rest of the ep is bananas. Give me a bad Trek ep that is a head trip like a C-tier Farscape episode.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Tighclops posted:

Lookit this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1WlpDqYwzw

this poo poo is loving tight

You simply cannot beat those TMP-era phasers

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Cross-Section posted:

You simply cannot beat those TMP-era phasers

I think it's amazing that he made the weapons fire and shield hits look hand animated as they would have been back in the day. It's just so crisp looking and I L M ish and they don't have fuzzy specular lighting or a bunch of cheap filters putting scratches and dust particles all over the camera lens

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Thaw isn’t bad in a good way, it’s good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I knoooooooow.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I'd argue the script is very mid but it's elevated by Picardo, Mulgrew and especially Michael McKean.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Tighclops posted:

I think it's amazing that he made the weapons fire and shield hits look hand animated as they would have been back in the day. It's just so crisp looking and I L M ish and they don't have fuzzy specular lighting or a bunch of cheap filters putting scratches and dust particles all over the camera lens

I like the way he made the photon torpedoes homing weapons. I think they’ve always been portrayed as direct-fire weapons in the canonical series and movies.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrMojok posted:

I like the way he made the photon torpedoes homing weapons. I think they’ve always been portrayed as direct-fire weapons in the canonical series and movies.

With the notable exception of the end of The Undiscovered Country...

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Timby posted:

With the notable exception of the end of The Undiscovered Country...

Ah, yes. I always forget about that film for some reason.

“To be… or not to be” indeed.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

ruddiger posted:

Did that one orphan changeling that Odo ran into flying around in outer space ever get to rejoin the great link? Was there any follow up on that guy in any other trek media?
He shows up in the books, and without getting into the bullshit the novelverse did to the Link I'll just leave it at he and Odo hang out a bunch as fellow outsiders.

Cross-Section posted:

That Star Trek: Borg inclusion :allears:
Ha, I wondered what that was from. I thought it was the guy's LARP group or something, but I should have known LARPers would have never been in period-inaccurate uniforms.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I’m basing it on the physical pain of listening to the dialogue.
Whoever came up with that idea needs to be banned from ever writing again

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Episodes of TV that are "It was all just are dream" are really hard to do right in everything other than plot light comedies, as it normally just feels like you completely waste of everyone's time. You're not twin peaks. Stop trying to be!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Haha all TV is a waste of time! You could've spent that 47 minutes with loved ones! Uh oops...

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
I've been getting an itch to do a big Trek rewatch recently, and since I like things to be as drawn out as possible, I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for any watch-along podcasts. I know Nextlander's Watchcast recently wrapped up the first season of TOS, but wondered if there's anything in the vein of A More Civilized Age for any of the classic series.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

threshold deserves the vitriol, but its for the fact that its a perfect example of every poor writing and acting choice, every aspect of the poor production, every ability to turn all ideas into boring grey paste, and every writers room inability to think ahead or within the actual limits of their shows conceit that voyager has to offer all in one episode

however, by objective measure, retrospect is easily the worst episode of voyager, and its shocking how not talked about in many circles that is.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm onto Far Beyond the Stars. It's always fun to play "Which period character is which actor sans the usual makeup." Took a while to recognise the guy handing out drawings because I recognised the voice but without the Klingon makeup General Martok was unrecognisable to me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
There's a really fun detail in "State of Flux," when they're planning to get the Federation console back from the Kazon. Torres says her plan will take until tomorrow, and Janeway in turn gives her until the end of the day. Torres goes "No, Captain, when I say I need until tomorrow, I mean it. I don't exaggerate." Janeway gives her until tomorrow as requested.

Then when the timing element gets tighter and Janeway starts asking Torres how long it'll be, Torres is already ready to go, and then the extraction goes off perfectly and incredibly quickly - because Torres had that time to run the simulations and make sure she was doing it right. It's a direct repudiation of the "miracle worker" poo poo from Scotty and LaForge, and an excellent bit of character building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like the irony with the Gem Hadar in the episode with the crew in the tiny ship - their credo is "Obedience is Victory, Victory is Life" but one of the previous generation Gem Hadar notices that their superior officer is making bad calls, and when he tries to advise him he gets shouted down with "No, I am the first, you are the second, do as I say". This attitude allows them to lose to the protagonists because he keeps obeying despite his misgivings, until they are all wiped out, and his last words are "Obedience is Victory. Victory... is... life..."

I also like that Sisko is kind of growing less stable mentally because of all the religious experiences with the prophets loving with his perception so much, on top of the stress of war. It seems DS9's central themes are of flawed perceptions, Sisko's religious experiences, Dukat's descent into scizophrenia, the Gem Hadar being raised to believe the Vorta are infallible and them being bred to see the Founders as such, the Founders cannot comprehend , or ignore, that Solids are all individual beings and so they are using the behaviour of 0.1% of the population to say "gently caress the rest", and the Prophets having a lack of empathy for the linear corporal beings and Bajorans seeing them as Gods, and similarly to the founders, the Bajorans have fallen into a trap that Kira is only just starting to break them out of, of seeing all of Cardassia as a single entity instead of a collection of people.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 3, 2023