Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

istewart posted:

Got to level 17 or 18 last night on druid, last thing I did was unlock the druid stronghold. Overall it just feels like more Diablo with a lot of the friction removed. I think I'm really going to like the open world going forward; don't have to worry about did I run out of GR keys? Is this a good rift map? Just walk out of town and start smashing face, and it won't be too long before you hit a world event and you're smashing face with a clear goal. I obviously haven't gotten to Whispering Tree stuff yet, but I feel like they've got the framework to build on here to make bounties/seasonal dailies something enjoyable, rather than just a chore you want to do as quickly as possible, only when necessary. Chained world events building to a big outdoor world boss could be a lot of fun.

Likewise, the gear system so far seems like the best out of any Diablo I've played. I enjoyed being able to craft stuff in D3, even if only a tiny minority of crafted sets stayed relevant for endgame. Basically being able to create your own legendary with rares that you've upgraded as you go feels closer to that system and a lot better than getting spammed with a crapload of rares and maybe one legendary you care about per boss kill, most of which is going to be salvaged. I haven't even gotten a legendary yet, but my engagement with upgrading rare and magic items so far feels like they made a good decision here.

I started following an icy-veins leveling guide for druid and it was a bit poo poo. I enjoyed using them for Diablo 3 but I think I'm going to lean more on maxroll.gg or sit through a Rhykker video or something when I roll an alt. It had me specced into Tornado before switching over to a companion build at level 15, and I probably would've had more fun if I had built up the companion build the whole time. Tornado was supposed to be my big-damage spender, but it was unreliable and hard to target. Maybe check some other guides and respec.

I have to agree with everyone who's hating on the skill tree interface; it already feels like it's due for an overhaul. I would have rather they did some sort of tabbed interface like vanilla WoW. It especially de-emphasizes the minor stat boost skills that aren't directly attached to unlocking or upgrading an active skill. Do I want to take these right away or come back to them? If so, when? Will they still be relevant when I start paragon boards? Almost certainly yes, but I bet a lot of more casual players who aren't necessarily following a build guide might overlook them, and having them lost in this oversized interface that's hard to grasp all at once doesn't help.

I still have yet to judge the experience of leveling an alt without slogging through campaign again, and I probably won't get around to that until next weekend or the very end of this weekend. That's actually going to be quite important for the game's longevity for me. I'd rank myself as a fairly casual D3 player, especially since I only ever bothered to take seriously maybe 3 or 4 out of the many seasons that have gone on. Part of that was because getting started by leveling to 70 and collecting the initial paragons was a tedious, perfunctory slog with little in the way of fun gameplay value. A lot of the time I just didn't feel like logging on to beg for a power level, or me and my one buddy who I knew would be good for it just didn't sync up until a few weeks in, or he started the season on PC while I was on Switch... An easy solo start to alt/seasonal leveling that engages me right away is the biggest upgrade they needed to make to keep me hooked for the long term.

edit:

:gb2gbs: and then leave there too

Good points all.

I’d think second time through minus campaign will be pretty good. Hit up events to pick up obols. Gamble for an early boost. Get a headstart because your renown will offer up 10 skill points if you’ve previously cleared it out. STash, obviously.

I was a skill tree apologist there for a while, mostly because people’s negativity was pretty hyperbolic, but as time goes on, I do think it needs a rework. Both in presentation and in some of the numbers. The good thing is that is 100% going to happen. Piecemeal for the numbers, probably a patch or expansion for the presentation.

Gearing/aspects/that whole package is awesome to me. You really do have a lot of freedom in terms of your power progression. Like, D3 was a linear thing. You got everything at set levels, and the gear never modified your playstyle in any meaningful way. Endgame was just sets or go home.

D4 on the other hand has a system that’s so open ended that the leveling process itself will be pretty drat fluid and unpredictable, by virtue of how impactful gear can be. I’m sure people will minmax which aspects to get when, which skills to unlock in which order, so on and so forth. But that can’t solve for RNG. And as mentioned, you’ve got such a wide array of things to do, with no barrier between you and doing the thing, that it just flows better.

By the by, folks who are having skill tree woes. Click right stick on console to make it fullscreen. Granted this just makes the empty space more obvious, but at least you’re not looking at a cramped little window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Anybody else having their fps get cut in half as soon as they enter a town zone

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

I say "skip" to all cutscenes and popups to the tune of pony by genuwine

This game does take control of your focus for totally pointless stuff so much that I just assumed this was another one of those moments.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

site posted:

Anybody else having their fps get cut in half as soon as they enter a town zone

on PC when teleporting? Cause yes, but I think this is a SSD read/write issue, because Xbox Series X doesn't have this problem.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Astryl posted:

In a lot of cutscenes a small crow shows up and watches what's happening?

IIRC Diablo's human form is a goat, and Baal's is a crow.

You sure about that bro?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Mentioned on last page I couldn’t reliably keep up berserking but it’s actually easy without items. Pick up the deathblow skill that procs it then use the double swing skill that sustains it. Wa-la, I am perma zerked.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

I said come in! posted:

on PC when teleporting? Cause yes, but I think this is a SSD read/write issue, because Xbox Series X doesn't have this problem.

I have it installed on a nvme and have 32gb ram, but I did install those high res textures for ultra quality. I guess I can try turning that down to high

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

site posted:

I have it installed on a nvme and have 32gb, but I did install those high res textures for ultra quality. I guess I can try turning that down to high

Let me know how that works! I have the same SSD type and 32gb of RAM. My PC is significantly more powerful than the Series X, so its confusing.

MR.B
Mar 15, 2007

I am the Owl
While in a party is there a way to share side quests with other members, so that we're all on the same page, so to speak. Not sure how all that works.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

Duck and Cover posted:

Why did you decide to play Diablo 4 over another game?

edit: You can read what was written as it was quoted I just don't like where the conversation was heading and if people keep quoting the original post I'll really want to respond and the whole thread will get derailed. Just pretend this was the question being asked, without any of my feelings towards Blizzard and their games being made obvious.

you won't rest until you're banned from every arpg thread on the forum huh

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I'm assuming if I'm getting into stable diffusion for AI art that building out a rig for both that and diablo/Starfield should work? will an i5 versus i7 make much of a difference, or does 32 gigs of ram and a solid graphics card matter more? (i'm looking at at least a 360TI but I know that's older but still rock solid).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Someone mentioned running into a bug where your hotkeys stop working, I just got that bug.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LionArcher posted:

I'm assuming if I'm getting into stable diffusion for AI art that building out a rig for both that and diablo/Starfield should work? will an i5 versus i7 make much of a difference, or does 32 gigs of ram and a solid graphics card matter more? (i'm looking at at least a 360TI but I know that's older but still rock solid).

Get the AMD 7800x3D instead if you're able, and an Nvidia RTX 4000-series card. AMD currently dominates the CPU space for gaming, and the 40-series is the best performance you can get assuming the game supports DLSS 3.0 (which Diablo does, not sure about Starfield).

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The game is good and if the seasonal content is good then I’ll play it for years until D5 comes out or I die irl

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
One of the things I was worried about were the beta performance issues and I don't know if the new GeForce drivers were the cause of the fix but it's nice not having my GPU chugging and the game refusing to close cleanly on exit.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

LionArcher posted:

That 3060ti will run into vram limitations for bigger Stable Diffusion renders. At least my 3080 did and the 3060ti is only 2g more. You may want to ask in AI art thread in GBS. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4000251&pagenumber=311#lastpost

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 2, 2023

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
The Sorc's Unstable Currents is such a fun Ultimate holy poo poo. I loving love this thing.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

godtier game. everyone who said this would be bad or have a rocky release has been real quiet lately lmfao
blizzard wins again

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I still think respec costs are a terrible idea. The cost is minimal at my level (25) but the game has so many interesting synergies it's dumb to put any kind of brakes on it. I'm worried the costs are going to be quite significant higher up. It'd be so much more cool if they embraced playing around with builds with saved talents like current wow.

For deck owners: release is running a lot better than the beta.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

istewart posted:

Got to level 17 or 18 last night on druid, last thing I did was unlock the druid stronghold. Overall it just feels like more Diablo with a lot of the friction removed. I think I'm really going to like the open world going forward; don't have to worry about did I run out of GR keys? Is this a good rift map? Just walk out of town and start smashing face, and it won't be too long before you hit a world event and you're smashing face with a clear goal. I obviously haven't gotten to Whispering Tree stuff yet, but I feel like they've got the framework to build on here to make bounties/seasonal dailies something enjoyable, rather than just a chore you want to do as quickly as possible, only when necessary. Chained world events building to a big outdoor world boss could be a lot of fun.

Likewise, the gear system so far seems like the best out of any Diablo I've played. I enjoyed being able to craft stuff in D3, even if only a tiny minority of crafted sets stayed relevant for endgame. Basically being able to create your own legendary with rares that you've upgraded as you go feels closer to that system and a lot better than getting spammed with a crapload of rares and maybe one legendary you care about per boss kill, most of which is going to be salvaged. I haven't even gotten a legendary yet, but my engagement with upgrading rare and magic items so far feels like they made a good decision here.

I started following an icy-veins leveling guide for druid and it was a bit poo poo. I enjoyed using them for Diablo 3 but I think I'm going to lean more on maxroll.gg or sit through a Rhykker video or something when I roll an alt. It had me specced into Tornado before switching over to a companion build at level 15, and I probably would've had more fun if I had built up the companion build the whole time. Tornado was supposed to be my big-damage spender, but it was unreliable and hard to target. Maybe check some other guides and respec.

I have to agree with everyone who's hating on the skill tree interface; it already feels like it's due for an overhaul. I would have rather they did some sort of tabbed interface like vanilla WoW. It especially de-emphasizes the minor stat boost skills that aren't directly attached to unlocking or upgrading an active skill. Do I want to take these right away or come back to them? If so, when? Will they still be relevant when I start paragon boards? Almost certainly yes, but I bet a lot of more casual players who aren't necessarily following a build guide might overlook them, and having them lost in this oversized interface that's hard to grasp all at once doesn't help.

I still have yet to judge the experience of leveling an alt without slogging through campaign again, and I probably won't get around to that until next weekend or the very end of this weekend. That's actually going to be quite important for the game's longevity for me. I'd rank myself as a fairly casual D3 player, especially since I only ever bothered to take seriously maybe 3 or 4 out of the many seasons that have gone on. Part of that was because getting started by leveling to 70 and collecting the initial paragons was a tedious, perfunctory slog with little in the way of fun gameplay value. A lot of the time I just didn't feel like logging on to beg for a power level, or me and my one buddy who I knew would be good for it just didn't sync up until a few weeks in, or he started the season on PC while I was on Switch... An easy solo start to alt/seasonal leveling that engages me right away is the biggest upgrade they needed to make to keep me hooked for the long term.

edit:

:gb2gbs: and then leave there too

Werewolf/companion build rips. There's ton of interactions between skills and it all combos rent nicely.

You can buff your crit chance a ton/eventually get guaranteed crits from the werewolf skills, which are fun and good on their own. On top of that, there are several things that trigger on crits, like buffing your wolves and resetting the cooldown on all your active companion skills. I'm at level 34 or so and it's an absolute blast.

Edit: go do the spirit boon quest asap, also. You have to hood it way across the map but the boons give you a bunch of pretty significant buffs.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 2, 2023

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

scaling Big loving HIts out here. aspected up on my slots and blasting. solo mode necro fun as gently caress

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Deki posted:

One of the things I was worried about were the beta performance issues and I don't know if the new GeForce drivers were the cause of the fix but it's nice not having my GPU chugging and the game refusing to close cleanly on exit.

Yeah it performs pretty well, Nvidia experience seems to think the requirements are higher than they really are

Ever since I got the game ready drivers the game freezes and crashes on the splash screen like 50% of the time though

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is a quest in Act V where if you teleport to the nearest waypoint for it, then the NPC to start it will just straight up disappear from the gameworld.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I said come in! posted:

There is a quest in Act V where if you teleport to the nearest waypoint for it, then the NPC to start it will just straight up disappear from the gameworld.

It’s wild that you’re running into so many bugs.

I’m about to beat the campaign and I haven’t encountered a single bug.

Has everyone else had a lot of bugs or is come in! an outlier?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

mbt posted:

godtier game. everyone who said this would be bad or have a rocky release has been real quiet lately lmfao
blizzard wins again

Yuuuuup. Glad you said it instead of me but I was def thinking it.

e: If I may predict rather boldly, don’t worry they’ll be back. Wait for the first exploit or balance issue or bug or whatever to surface. You’re gonna hear a whoooooole lot of weird poo poo at that point. Haters are kinda eternal.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 2, 2023

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hey folks I was wondering if power leveling will still be a thing? I can't figure out how it would work since now when you're with someone the game scales. Any thoughts? No I don't want a power level any time soon but I was thinking about it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

I said come in! posted:

Let me know how that works! I have the same SSD type and 32gb of RAM. My PC is significantly more powerful than the Series X, so its confusing.

So reducing texture quality didn't help, but dropping ssao from high to medium got me ~25fps back

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ehud posted:

God I hope i'm an outlier. Are you playing on console? that seems to be more stable? At least i'm getting through the game though, restarting by going back to character select usually fixes the problems. Some of what i've mentioned, others have said they have ran into as well.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I said come in! posted:

God I hope i'm an outlier. Are you playing on console? that seems to be more stable?

Nope, I’m on PC :shrug:

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

hawowanlawow posted:

I say "skip" to all cutscenes and popups to the tune of pony by genuwine

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ehud posted:

Nope, I’m on PC :shrug:

Strange! Who knows. Since the game is online, and much of the scripting is streamed to you in real time i'm not that surprised by the problems. Diablo IV has an intense amount of scripted sequences during its campaign.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

On console the only bug I've run into is probably more of a design oversight. The dungeon you do for one of the druid quest seeds also has 3 totems to clear, and once you clear them... there's no message or anything, but if you leave the dungeon isn't finished. If you backtrack to the middle of the dungeon there's a kinda larger room where a boss will then spawn and finish the dungeon.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

I said come in! posted:

God I hope i'm an outlier. Are you playing on console? that seems to be more stable? At least i'm getting through the game though, restarting by going back to character select usually fixes the problems. Some of what i've mentioned, others have said they have ran into as well.

Xbox here. I’ve had your unskippable cutscene thing, but haven’t tried to rectify it since I’ve been watching them. Wouldn’t have even noticed if I’d not played all the betas and was wanting to get past the stuff I’d seen. Other than that nothing that I’ve noticed.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
On console here, Act 4. Only bug I've run into so far was the PS5 license issue which has since been fixed.

I've seen a lot of people on reddit saying their game is crashing though. Mostly PC players.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
So I take it from the posting that the servers are generally solid and if I fork over the extra money for access this weekend odds of me being able to actually are good?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh well, almost done with the campaign, in the home stretch, then I never have to worry about this again. :toot:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MikeC posted:

So I take it from the posting that the servers are generally solid and if I fork over the extra money for access this weekend odds of me being able to actually are good?

Yeah! the servers are rock loving solid, no issues. I was able to get in at exactly 4pm yesterday with zero issues.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I think I'll finish Act 1 tonight. :corsair:

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Ehud posted:

no bugs here its smooth, runs and looks great on my 4090, sounds great, and is fun. only stopping to eat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

MikeC posted:

They’ve been super solid. I’ve had brief lag hiccups a handful of times. No queues.