Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Ewwww the guy who directed that dogshit copaganda Athena is dating Dua Lipa. Depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think I sorta got that it was being not entirely serious, and I’d read the book that summer and got that the movie was taking the piss out of the book’s more… unpleasant elements, but I don’t think I appreciated just how satirical it was.

One of the early dvd releases had a directors commentary which was just Verhoven yelling at how no one got it. I remember at one point him just yelling "look at that! He is wearing an SS uniform for Christ's sake"

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

“Acting stuff” lmao verhoeven is awesome.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dying right now, I'm in season 3 of The Leftovers, and the theme song is the theme from Perfect Strangers, and now Mark Linn Baker is on the phone with Nora.

This show is weird in the best ways, and I am so down.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Enos Cabell posted:

Dying right now, I'm in season 3 of The Leftovers, and the theme song is the theme from Perfect Strangers, and now Mark Linn Baker is on the phone with Nora.

This show is weird in the best ways, and I am so down.

I loved that running joke.

Btw, Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition is back on Max after being missing for a few weeks.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Signed up for Britbox just to catch up on a few seasons of Grand Designs (which they only have the most recent three seasons for some reason?)

Anything else good on there, especially stuff that’s like high quality reality / documentary?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Reality: Don't talk to the cops without a lawyer present.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

mcmagic posted:

Reality: Don't talk to the cops without a lawyer present.

Yes obviously but that absolutely would not have helped her in this specific situation lol

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Slow Horses is pretty great

Carillon
May 9, 2014

It's a bummer, Rififi is a movie I absolutely want to watch with my partner, I've seen it, she hasn't but loves heist movies. Sadly not streaming anywhere at all! I can't even pay for it. It's always so odd to me when there's just not an option. You'd think the distribution company would like the practically free money.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
It's fitting that HBO died with the two most nihilistic series finales I've seen this side of The Sopranos.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Carillon posted:

It's a bummer, Rififi is a movie I absolutely want to watch with my partner, I've seen it, she hasn't but loves heist movies. Sadly not streaming anywhere at all! I can't even pay for it. It's always so odd to me when there's just not an option. You'd think the distribution company would like the practically free money.

It's a great movie (the heist is legendary for a reason) and France should pass a law that any of their movies not available on streaming become the property of the state + freely accessible.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I thoroughly enjoyed Three Thousand Years of Longing on Amazon Prime starring Tilda Swinton and Idris Elba about the relationship between a professor and a Djinn, directed by Mad Max Fury Road and Babe director George Miller

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Nihonniboku posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed Three Thousand Years of Longing on Amazon Prime starring Tilda Swinton and Idris Elba about the relationship between a professor and a Djinn, directed by Mad Max Fury Road and Babe director George Miller

it was really good, entertaining and flies by but for some reason unfulfilling and disappointing at the same time

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Loved it and it's stuck with me

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Nihonniboku posted:

Sorry buddy, but Miller only directed Babe 2: Pig In The City. The OG Babe is produced by Miller though and frankly has his stink all over it so I understand the confusion.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 31, 2023

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RuwanSubasinghe/status/1663190057975443456

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/samxmcgowan/status/1663349972778246144

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Nothing beats the feeling of seeing a movie you forgot to watch show up in your list again after it returns to Netflix. Time to watch Slap Shot!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Ammanas posted:

it was really good, entertaining and flies by but for some reason unfulfilling and disappointing at the same time
... just like life... wow

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can anyone confirm that the Young Indy episodes on Disney+ are in SD? I know it's a long-shot due to digital effects made for TV in the early 90s, but if they were ever to sneak in an HD remaster this would be the time.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Might be a bit technical, but does anyone else hear an obvious audio issue with some of Tubi's titles? It sounds like the audio is out of phase, tried watching Bronson the other day and it was pretty noticeable.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I have a weird issue with Hulu. I started rewatching It's Always Sunny and the first episode played fine. However, unless I go back to the episode menu and manually go to the next episode, it will get to the end of the episode, count down to the next episode and then plays it's credits, skips to the next episode and plays it's credits, and on and on. For example, I went to the restroom after an episode and came back to find Hulu playing the credits for 5 episodes past wheel I left off and then started playing the credits for the next episode after that before I could stop it.

It's annoying as hell.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I have a weird issue with Hulu. I started rewatching It's Always Sunny and the first episode played fine. However, unless I go back to the episode menu and manually go to the next episode, it will get to the end of the episode, count down to the next episode and then plays it's credits, skips to the next episode and plays it's credits, and on and on. For example, I went to the restroom after an episode and came back to find Hulu playing the credits for 5 episodes past wheel I left off and then started playing the credits for the next episode after that before I could stop it.

It's annoying as hell.

Hulu has always had an atrocious UI

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Someone might have watched them already try deleting the watch history on it

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Disposable Scud posted:

Why are there two shows about Candy Montgomery?

I watched them both, just because I find it interesting to see two shows that are based on the same source material and released as contemporaries, and to see how different creators would treat them the same way. I liked the HBO one better, though it was admittedly way slower. The slowness hurt it in the first few episodes during the setup of the affair, but once everything kicked into high gear I much preferred the pacing. Especially the courtroom scene was much more engaging and interesting in HBO's version. I also thought Jesse Plemmons' version of Alan was more bizarrely disconnected and made more sense, especially when it came to his behavior in the trial.

EDIT: I think Hulu had some important context in it that HBO's didn't, however. HBO helped to soften Candy as a person by leaving out an entire "reveal" in the trial. Not being an expert I don't know how big of a moment it was, but in the Hulu show when they revealed Alan was not her only affair it definitely recontextualized a few things.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 2, 2023

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Nihonniboku posted:

my favorite Hulu feature is that if you leave autoplay on and fall asleep watching it, you'll inevitably wake up like 3 seasons into The Goldbergs or some poo poo. It has absolutely no qualms starting a brand new show for you like 4 seconds after one show ends.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Nihonniboku posted:

I hate the UI so much that I just cast Hulu from my phone to the tv. It's completely unusable otherwise

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

A MIRACLE posted:

Someone might have watched them already try deleting the watch history on it

This is my issue, happens when I rewatch stuff.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Medullah posted:

This is my issue, happens when I rewatch stuff.

OK, so it's not just my device or something. This is my second time through the series.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kirk Vikernes posted:

OK, so it's not just my device or something. This is my second time through the series.

Yep so when it goes to each new episode it's trying to start where you left off... Which for most of us is in the middle of the credits

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I had that happen with Futurama, it'd play the final joke of each episode one after another. It was a strange way to let the show auto play because when the credits started it would go right to the next episode ending.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone watch the gryphon yet on amazon? Looks pretty neat but also incredibly silly.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I've been watching Sanctuary on netflix, its about a sumo dude who's a dick. his girlfriend has huge boobs. its good so far

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I know HBO likes to reuse actors from show to show but I’m watching White House Plumbers and this show might hold the record. Pretty much every actor on screen is someone I recognize from another HBO show.

From Game of Thrones to Silicon Valley to Carnivale and about 10 others all have a cast member in this show

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Deadite posted:

I know HBO likes to reuse actors from show to show but I’m watching White House Plumbers and this show might hold the record. Pretty much every actor on screen is someone I recognize from another HBO show.

From Game of Thrones to Silicon Valley to Carnivale and about 10 others all have a cast member in this show

This could mean it's very good or very bad

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I hope Zack Woods is playing Nixon

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Gary Cole played Mark Felt, although I think he was just a voice on the phone because I don’t remember seeing him

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
oh my god there's a new season of I Think You Should Leave on Netflix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The first three seasons of Angie Tribeca just showed up on Max, so there’s another thing for me to watch.