Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Nothing more than exactly what you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Last month I put in a ton of effort to move from Lightroom Classic to Cloud. It was a nightmare. The importer tool broke the first time around and then it wouldn't let me run it again. So I had to jump through a ton of hoops but eventually got everything uploaded. Then realized Cloud just ignored my entire folder structure so I lost all that organization.

It's been good for about a month.

Got an email yesterday saying "We’re reaching out again to remind you that because you haven’t had a subscription that includes cloud storage in over a year, your Lightroom cloud content will be permanently deleted in 7 days.". Which isn't true at all. Contacted support and they were like "lol whoops didn't mean that." I still don't trust support so I'm trying to make sure I don't lose anything if they delete all my poo poo in a week. Cherry on top is they offer an exporter tool that is also straight up broken.

Either way, I'm just going to say gently caress it, lose all the effort I put over the last month resorting my library and poo poo, and going back to Lightroom Classic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would never put my entire library in the LR cloud but I have done well with a hybrid setup, everything exists on my desktop at home and I only sync the "travel edits" and "my best stuff" catalogs to the cloud side.

It's been pretty seamless and I do enjoy the feature. I like to do some fast edits on the road with my iPad when the concept is fresh in my head and it'll be sitting there waiting for me when I get home to be refined.

But I've also never gotten a warning that all my poo poo is about to be deleted. That would definitely raise some eyebrows.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
I use LR Classic + Microsoft OneDrive. Basically my entire computer is in OneDrive.

Computer setup:

500GB SSD (C: drive for OS and Apps only)
1TB SSD (for Media Cache files for Adobe)
4TB SSD (for OneDrive/RAW Files/LR Catalog)

I set up OneDrive with 2TB of storage space (all I need ATM and can increase to 4TB as my drive expands) and then set the OneDrive folder location to the 4TB drive. All the typical windows folders like Documents/Downloads/Music/etc all get re-targeted to the equivalent OneDrive folder. This way I can use the normal Windows Library structure but everything is physically housed on the 4TB drive AND automatically synced to the OneDrive cloud.

Lightroom catalog gets set up on the 4TB drive AND all RAW files are stored here. That way all my RAW files are accessible from the cloud whether I be on my phone or at school on their Macs.

I can also set up another drive to back up my 4TB if I wish to have a third redundant drive.

This way my flow is as follows:

Insert SD card
Import to 4TB drive.
The files now physically exist on my 4TB local drive AND they are automatically uploaded to OneDrive.

For whatever reason I trust Microsoft's cloud storage more than Adobe.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
For me instead of OneDrive it's a Synology NAS under my stairs.

I have an "editing folder" that's local on my pc to give me the least amount of lag. It contains a few hundred files at a time that need to be checked, pruned and good ones edited. It's still backed up though just in case.

When I'm done, the RAWS get migrated to storage on the NAS and removed from my pc completely, although I can easily access them from my pc (or anywhere really) if I want to re-edit them.

I dont trust any cloud provider to not just change their terms and conditions on me like Amazon did, so prefer to be in control of it all now.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 2, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I use a synology too but that's not a full backup solution. Until you got a copy stored off-site your cat pics are at risk.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I have a backblaze backup that's 3 times a week and an offline external backup that I do once a month.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 2, 2023

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

huhu posted:

Got an email yesterday saying "We’re reaching out again to remind you that because you haven’t had a subscription that includes cloud storage in over a year, your Lightroom cloud content will be permanently deleted in 7 days.". Which isn't true at all. Contacted support and they were like "lol whoops didn't mean that." I still don't trust support so I'm trying to make sure I don't lose anything if they delete all my poo poo in a week.

I think they deleted a bunch peoples poo poo like right after Lightroom cloud came out, I don’t trust adobe at all.

I keep my photos on a nas that backs up my photo library to backblaze

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
lol just gently caress Adobe Cloud.

All my photos got deleted.

Edit: Or not. Who the gently caress knows. I opened Lightroom cloud and it told me I had ~2500 photos, instead of ~20,000. Took several minutes before the number of photos changed. Either way, I'm out. This poo poo is too stressful.

huhu fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 3, 2023

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I use LR classic, photos are stored on a Synology NAS, and backblaze b2 backs up any changes to the cloud. Works well.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Huh just discovered a thing in LR that's not documented (well)? I save all my LR edits to xmp files since my local machine is usually not something I care for backing up and I just edit in google drive so all my LR edits are automatically backed up even without the local catalog. Anyway I noticed that when I'm editing a tiff in LR it doesn't generate an xmp file with the edits. Strange I duplicated one of those tiffs and imported into LR and boom all the prior edits are still there. So LR is putting the edits inside the tiff somewhere I guess you can just shove any old misc data into them. I guess LR also does this for DNGs? Although I'm not a fan of constantly editing the source file just because some metadata changed. I would still prefer to keep it as a separate xmp file.

edit: Ah lol the setting is there there with the XMP setting. Looks like jpeg, tiff, png and psd files all support Lightroom metadata. Lol a jpeg.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 6, 2023

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I got some new cameras from the Camera fair I help run

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

So DPReview has been saved....by Gearpatol?

https://m.dpreview.com/site-news/8298318614/dpreview-com-looks-forward-to-a-new-chapter-with-gear-patrol

Seem to be a generic tech review site.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
A friend is hiring me to take pictures of her custom airsoft guns. It's definitely one of those "excuses to give a friend money" type transactions but I have a product shaped gap in my portfolio. Is there a thread for (airsoft) guns specifically? They're definitely doing ME the favor but I wanna push myself.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Ominous Jazz posted:

A friend is hiring me to take pictures of her custom airsoft guns. It's definitely one of those "excuses to give a friend money" type transactions but I have a product shaped gap in my portfolio. Is there a thread for (airsoft) guns specifically? They're definitely doing ME the favor but I wanna push myself.

There is an airsoft/airgun subforum under TFR so there might be some threads of value in there

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=277

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I put up shelving today to display my cameras better

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I got a thing to look at my photos on

It's a suitcase slide projector

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I'm never going to be like, good at photography in a meaningful sense. And it's not like I do it for the fame and external validation, but I think this is literally the least rewarding hobby socially I've ever had.

The act itself is satisfying. Just that no one I know, enjoys photos - and it's probably a mistake to try and force my interest on them and show them mine. It just makes me feel like I'm in my own world on the moon spending hours reviewing photos and editing them and taking them.

Weird e/n posting but yeah.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Toalpaz posted:

I'm never going to be like, good at photography in a meaningful sense. And it's not like I do it for the fame and external validation, but I think this is literally the least rewarding hobby socially I've ever had.

The act itself is satisfying. Just that no one I know, enjoys photos - and it's probably a mistake to try and force my interest on them and show them mine. It just makes me feel like I'm in my own world on the moon spending hours reviewing photos and editing them and taking them.

That's what your weird online friends at SA are for.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It can be a bit like that, online communities are a great thing for keeping up inspiration and engagement. The Dorkroom discord is a great place for a more personal active community, the YCIAPOS thread is YOSPOS is very nice with a lot of chat and as for social media I think Cohost is probably the best out there for genuine engagement.

You could also look at your end goals. For most people their photography ends at the computer. But doing prints, even cheap drug store ones and displaying your work will give a great deal of satisfaction, and you'd be surprised just how many people will notice a photo on your wall or a stack on the coffee table.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Toalpaz posted:

I don't think I'm particularly good at photography either to be honest.

My perspective after 10 years is that its a sort of visual diary and occasionally I like some of the shots enough to get framed.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

Toalpaz posted:

thats Art babyyyy

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I think it's amplified with photography.

If you can draw, people appreciate that as a skill in itself, even if they know nothing about drawing. Everyone can "taken pictures", it requires more knowledge to understand the effort and skill that went into any particular photograph.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Megabound posted:

you'd be surprised just how many people will notice a photo on your wall or a stack on the coffee table.

I’d be awfully surprised if somebody was in a position to see either my wall or coffee table.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

tk posted:

I’d be awfully surprised if somebody was in a position to see either my wall or coffee table.

I'm looking at them right now and wow how do you live like this jesus christ

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I go out of my way to show my friends my photos like I'm a toddler holding up my macaroni art so that mom will put it on the fridge because even if they're not interested in what I made or they don't exactly get it they like seeing the passion and emotion the same way I feel when my friends write a song or wood work or play t ball

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No one likes my pictures except me (and allegedly my wife, I secretly suspect she's just being polite but then again she doesn't try to take anything down) so I decorate the gently caress out of my house with my prints because I like looking at them.

Totally justifies the $10k in gear I've bought in the last 13 years.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
How much do you involve yourself in your friends hobbies and passions
I got friends in bands and those dudes love getting their pictures taken. I have friends who knit and crochet (there's a difference and I learned that hanging out with then on a shoot) and they like photos of their work and them doing their work and they like showing off the photos I took.
Also join a local photographers club and branch out your skills

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What's a friend? Can you link me to one on KEH?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

xzzy posted:

No one likes my pictures except me (and allegedly my wife, I secretly suspect she's just being polite but then again she doesn't try to take anything down) so I decorate the gently caress out of my house with my prints because I like looking at them.

Totally justifies the $10k in gear I've bought in the last 13 years.

I just recently changed my smart tvs to rotate through every photo in my Lightroom export folder when they're on idle mode and it definitely made me appreciate my photography more.

I kinda wanna try selling prints but based on the like three redbubble sales per year I get I don't really think there's a market

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Megabound posted:

The Dorkroom discord is a great place for a more personal active community

I'd love an invite if possible

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

FBS posted:

I'd love an invite if possible

Likewise!

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Megabound posted:

The Dorkroom Discord
A few of us hang out in The Dorkroom Discord too. You can join in, have a chat, post some photos and get some critique. If you want a more direct conversation, or you’re feeling intimidated about postin your photos here please join us, we’re friendlier than we seem! https://discord.gg/98XxqMB

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spaced God posted:

I kinda wanna try selling prints but based on the like three redbubble sales per year I get I don't really think there's a market

I don't think it's possible to make a living off selling prints anymore, but you can definitely get an occasional dopamine hit if you're willing to market yourself. I was talking with a guy that carries a folder full of his shots into higher end furniture stores and offers to decorate their display areas. If any of the prints sell the store gets 20%. The logic is if someone doesn't mind spending several thousand on a fancy couch, a couple thousand on a giant print is nothing. His claim is his work is in a dozen furniture stores in the area and a handful sell per year.

There's also a story of John Fielder needing knee replacement surgery but he had no health insurance. So he offered to decorate the hospital with his prints in exchange for the surgery and they took the offer.

I don't know if I have the capacity to sell myself like that but I guess it works for people that can do it.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
You'll cowards have no joie de vivre

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I've been doing some little local markets and crafts fairs and most of them have pretty reasonable vendor fees like $30 - $50. It's one casual way to get strangers looking at your photos and heck it only takes a couple of sales to make that fee back. I don't make a ton of money and it can take a LOT of prep time sometimes to get ready but it's usually a fun day once I'm all set up. People are generous with their compliments and it makes me actually print stuff. I'll try to have at least one or two new prints in case someone comes back that's seen me before.

It's getting a little harder to find them that don't require a real business (biz license/sales permits) but some of them still don't care.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Buy a tote bag with my dead deer photo on it, it's cheaper than a print!

https://society6.com/product/dead-deer8435556_bag?sku=s6-27438548p29a26v196

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Hello Dorkroom. My parents have got old and we are downsizing for them. My dad has giving me a box of camera parts and I don't know what to do with them. A lot of this stuff I can't find on google and I don't know what to do with it. If you have a moment can you let me know if this stuff is of any value to photographers these days?

https://imgur.com/a/isp3wfZ

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

HAmbONE posted:

Hello Dorkroom. My parents have got old and we are downsizing for them. My dad has giving me a box of camera parts and I don't know what to do with them. A lot of this stuff I can't find on google and I don't know what to do with it. If you have a moment can you let me know if this stuff is of any value to photographers these days?

https://imgur.com/a/isp3wfZ

Most of this isn't especially great and doesn't have much following, which puts it in the "thrift store stuff" bin, fun and good to shoot with if you're already in the ecosystem, but practically sub-$50 at best and mostly sub-$20. The Vivitar Series 1 lenses were quite good, though; if that's the 200mm/f3 that might be worth $100-250 depending on mount and condition, but it could take a while to sell. This made me sit up, though:

Leica gear is always worth money; you probably have about $1000 between the camera and two lenses there, assuming it's in working order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Cassius Belli posted:

Most of this isn't especially great and doesn't have much following, which puts it in the "thrift store stuff" bin, fun and good to shoot with if you're already in the ecosystem, but practically sub-$50 at best and mostly sub-$20. The Vivitar Series 1 lenses were quite good, though; if that's the 200mm/f3 that might be worth $100-250 depending on mount and condition, but it could take a while to sell. This made me sit up, though:

Leica gear is always worth money; you probably have about $1000 between the camera and two lenses there, assuming it's in working order.

Well thank you. My dad takes care of his stuff so everything looks to be in good shape. I won’t be taking them to Goodwill. I guess find a place to test/appraise them once I get over Covid