Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

JediTalentAgent posted:

My headcanon has always been that the show has been all about hinting that Bobby grows up to be a serial kicker.

I fixed your post! I don't know you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

that's actually dumber than most political cartoons, congrats. like what's the purpose in-universe of the banner? why would they hang that up? it's so reversed engineered. also it's a time lapse where they don't get older and the passage of time isn't marked in any way other than the banner falling apart. the banner doesn't even say anything clever even after they modify it, was this idea so funny and insightful that it had to be told this way? they could have just had homer look into the camera and say "america bad now". gently caress you simpsons

e: they don't even have their own history right, as someone in the replies mentions, maude is shown as a ghost a year before that episode aired.

well atleast they didnt do anything of note for 2001 or 2008/9. (also cowards for stopping at 2012 and not going for the maddness that is post 2015)

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

homewrecker posted:

It's almost impressive how quickly they can they make a joke (not that it's a particularly clever or original one) and then immediately run it into the ground with Marge's line.

You weren't kidding :pusheen: without the Marge line it's a decent, c-tier bit. It's not super clever, but you get what they were going for and it's fine. Modern Simpsons can not stop explaining the joke

Prescott
May 16, 2023

I’m reading the Bible so I can teach the zombies about Heaven.

PostNouveau posted:

This is true. Also it's hard to blame her when you watch the shorts. Imagine getting the scripts for those things and being asked to voice a character.
Thank you for standing up for Tracey Ulman. It was a rational decision and should be respected without the hooting judgement of hindsight.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Prescott posted:

Thank you for standing up for Tracey Ulman. It was a rational decision and should be respected without the hooting judgement of hindsight.

Honestly, it's a coin toss situation. It's her show, it probably makes sense for her to take part from the perspective of branding, and it's unlikely she takes any extra blowback for doing so. But it doesn't cost her anything to not take part, and that way she can take the high ground if the whole thing bombs.

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

I haven't watched an actual episode since the movie in 2008. Thought I'd drop in to get a taste what America's Greatest Family has been up to lately.

Last Chance posted:

Just going to leave this here again since we need to bear witness once in a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlRV6yxZUSQ

Gawd, that was immediate and deep cringe with a brief moment of sunshine with Ralph fuckin' around in the lost and found at "Tryin' on all our clothes". That actually felt appropriate for a mildly unhygienic idiot, but the the second it passed everyone fell right back into characterization dysphoria and started acting weird.

They have to take like ten fuckin' shots to sink a joke now. But the misses aren't just unfunny, they feel unnatural and disorienting. Like, I'm clearly seeing recognizable Simpsons characters, but they're acting like completely different people. It makes me feel like I have dementia, or that delusion where you think your wife has been replaced by a robot. It reminds me of a brilliant analysis vid I saw last year about the couch gag that Don Hertzfelt animated. It's worth checking out if you haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f5Xt5pZZZM

Stunt-Puffin fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 28, 2023

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Prescott posted:

Did she do a bad? I'm out of the loop.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Maude: Love? We're not talking about love! We're talking about S, E, X. in front of the C, H, I, L, D, R, E N!

Krusty: Sex Cauldron? I thought they shut that place down!

Lisa: No Krusty... she spelled out CHILDREN not CAULDRON

Krusty: Wah ha ha ha hey hey!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I find it fascinating how many celebrities still feel compelled to be in the Simpsons. On one hand I guess it's pretty understandable given that a huge chunk of the current working actors would have grown up with the show but on the other it seems that the best case scenario is a totally forgettable role and the worst is being remembered for helping create a new piece of total garbage that taints a formerly great thing.

I cut more slack to younger generations and more up-and-coming talent looking for any roles, but it's incredible how many solid names will still prostrate themselves before the Simpsons, seemingly oblivious to it being bad. And half of them will brag about it on social media like they got cast in the MCU or something.

I was looking for some examples that stuck out to me but I got distracted by these articles, just look at these and compare
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Simpsons_guest_stars_(seasons_1%E2%80%9320)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Simpsons_guest_stars_(seasons_21%E2%80%93present)

For fun, sort by role and check out the himself/herself sections

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The newer episodes would have to be remembered for the guest stars to be remembered as the thing that made it worse.

I get the sense that the Simpsons probably has a pretty big budget to play around with when paying celebrity guest stars as well. So aside from the people who like the show and the people who think it could be a fame boosting move, it's not a bad job for celebrities who are just regular ol' working actors.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
To be fair, if the show wanted to put me on it I'd sure as hell still say yes even knowing full well how much the episode will suck.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
They'll take anyone so long as they can give a convincing "That's right Lisa,".

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You get paid to literally phone something in. It's basically a slightly more involved form of Cameo.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I watched the Lizzo episode out of curiosity (which makes it the ~one new episode I watch a year).

It actually has a fairly interesting premise. Homer is angry at Marge for something. We aren't told what at first. He is so angry that he crashes into a fire hydrant and flies through the windshield. He has a vision while he's flying through the air in ultra slow motion where the Happy Little Elf doll that was in the car and is flying through the air with him is talking him through his anger. The doll is voiced by Lizzo but isn't supposed to be her or anything so there isn't actually any of the typical celebrity guest gushing which was refreshing.

So then through a series of visions and flashbacks we learn that Homer is angry because he learned that Marge has been getting $1,000 a month from the will of her late father but never told Homer about the money. Homer assumed she has been screwing him over and blowing it on other stuff, but as the episode progresses we learn that she's always using it to bail him out of various situations.

So okay, another Homer and Marge turmoil story, whatever, but the concept of telling the whole thing while he's flying through the air in slow motion from a car accident is relatively creative and interesting.

But then... for some reason that isn't the whole episode. In the final act, Homer actually dies and goes to hell. There's a long sequence of subpar hell jokes before Homer meets Marge's dad who explains some things to him and he has an epiphany or something which allows him to get to continue living.

It's just pretty baffling to me. If the entire episode was Homer's visions and flashbacks while flying though the air it would have actually been pretty good.

Then I guess the episode ran short so there's a bizarre meta scene with actual Lizzo in a sound booth with Bart and Lisa recording lines (ironic since she quite possibly phoned the lines in). Felt like they really wanted to make sure you knew it was her and couldn't let her just voice a toy elf.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Was Marge's dad the same guy as the airline steward from the first time Marge's dad was shown in the show?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Was Marge's dad the same guy as the airline steward from the first time Marge's dad was shown in the show?

His first appearance was in season 2's "The Way We Was" when Homer goes to pick Marge up for the prom.

I hope you were fired for this blunder.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

His first appearance was in season 2's "The Way We Was" when Homer goes to pick Marge up for the prom.

I hope you were fired for this blunder.

"When that Simpson boy showed up it took years off my life".
Didn't even make it to the episode where Bart was born :(

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mantis42 posted:

You get paid to literally phone something in. It's basically a slightly more involved form of Cameo.

Cameo, but you don't have to turn the built-in laptop webcam on. Sounds great. How did the Imagine people not just got to the Simpsons for that stunt? Would have been much easier and more successful as a streaming short. :downs:

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Did she do a bad? I'm out of the loop.

Context was her decision to turn down a speaking part in the original shorts.

Prescott
May 16, 2023

I’m reading the Bible so I can teach the zombies about Heaven.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

A couple years ago they did one where it’s revealed he died of smoking. However, neither Patti nor Selma quit smoking at the end of the episode

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

RichardA posted:

Context was her decision to turn down a speaking part in the original shorts.

Oh yeah I got that, I just completely misread it, lol. I've been ironypoisoned or whatever it is the kids say.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 31, 2023

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Re-watched some random season 3 episodes today. God this show used to be so good :sigh: It should be a crime to let any show go on for 30 years

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
At this point I hope it never gets cancelled

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Maude: Love? We're not talking about love! We're talking about S, E, X. in front of the C, H, I, L, D, R, E N!

Krusty: Sex Cauldron? I thought they shut that place down!

Lisa: No Krusty... she spelled out CHILDREN not CAULDRON

Krusty: Wah ha ha ha hey hey!

wait is THAT how that exchange goes? they cut it off after krusty responds the first time on repeat viewings

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Interweb posted:

wait is THAT how that exchange goes? they cut it off after krusty responds the first time on repeat viewings

No, they were making fun of how the joke would be written in a modern episode, where they constantly explain every joke to the audience.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

No, they were making fun of how the joke would be written in a modern episode, where they constantly explain every joke to the audience.

oh my bad lol

i was gonna say that would be one of the few instances where cutting off a joke for time in reruns wound up improving a joke

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

If only the jokes in the later seasons could actually be salvaged by competent editing

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
There was a joke that was cut down for censorship reasons in Australia that I think makes a better joke in the good simpsons seasons. I didn't even realize it had been edited until later on when I watched streams of it. This clip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-qGPcKA4c0

In the edited version Krusty is basically just the routine starting at the 22 second mark and his entire routine is cut and he just starts berating the audience. I dunno I always thought it was pretty funny and worked well and the original uncut version it never seemed as good to me. Probably, in my opinion, because it seems more like Krusty later on in the show about how he isn't funny and oh boy jokes about someone not being funny sure are funny, especially when they're running jokes. Just endless episodes about how Krusty isn't funny.

Try starting it 22 seconds in. Take it for a test ride, and you'll agree.

Zeniel fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 3, 2023

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Zeniel posted:

There was a joke that was cut down for censorship reasons in Australia that I think makes a better joke in the good simpsons seasons. I didn't even realize it had been edited until later on when I watched streams of it. This clip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-qGPcKA4c0

In the edited version Krusty is basically just the routine starting at the 22 second mark and his entire routine is cut and he just starts berating the audience. I dunno I always thought it was pretty funny and worked well and the original uncut version it never seemed as good to me. Probably, in my opinion, because it seems more like Krusty later on in the show about how he isn't funny and oh boy jokes about someone not being funny sure are funny, especially when they're running jokes. Just endless episodes about how Krusty isn't funny.

Try starting it 22 seconds in. Take it for a test ride, and you'll agree.

yuuuuuuuuuup, the edited version is way better.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I definitely understand that preference. I still like the full joke though, it's a funny depiction of the supposedly edgy and outrageous comedians that seemed to be a dime a dozen in the 90s.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One of those things where the joke being a bad comedy routine just ends up being... a bad comedy routine. Especially since it feels like herpes jokes are pretty quaint by modern standards? It feels like he shoulda been going somewhere with that.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Especially since it feels like herpes jokes are pretty quaint by modern standards?

While I'm pretty sure that's true, there was that one episode of Family Guy where Brian knowingly gives Stewie herpes that is a major exception

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of those things where the joke being a bad comedy routine just ends up being... a bad comedy routine. Especially since it feels like herpes jokes are pretty quaint by modern standards? It feels like he shoulda been going somewhere with that.

Sorry about your herpes

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

this is all i think of when I think of herpes jokes in an animated comedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF2Hli6oKeA&t=60s

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
On one hand I think you can say it's funny because it's not funny (what people call ironic humour I guess?), but on the other I like it because it's just such a lazy and transparent attempt to shock/disgust, and it gets the response it deserves. I was only very little in 1993, and I'm not American so maybe I'm misjudging the zeitgeist of the time, but it makes me think of people like Andrew Dice Clay and Martin Lawrence and the outrage they often provoked, with tons of copycats in tow.

It's sort of like in the stealing cable episode, where one of the first things Homer watches is a Jerry Seinfeld-type comedian quipping "Don't you just hate it when you go to the bathroom... and there's no toilet paper!!". Again, some would find it funny because it's not funny (like when people parody Seinfeld's schtick with awful "What's the deal with xyz?" gags) but I think the funnier part is that Homer finds it unjustly hilarious, because he's a Simple Simpson.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

His reaction was "Heh heh heh, it's funny because it's true!" Which I remember at the time being extra amusing because "it's funny because it's true" was kind of a catchphrase briefly in the cultural lexicon of the late-80s/early-90s, that I remember some comedians of the day using outright. I can't think of any examples immediately but usually it would be an actual good joke and then "it's funny because it's true" would be the stinger (often delivered ironically because it's blatantly NOT true or broadly relatable; I'm thinking maybe it was Leno who popularized it if you can picture this in his delivery). Homer delivering that line was a nod to that, and the fact that it was Homer saying it (and the joke was so insipid) was drat subtle and catty, I loved it

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 3, 2023

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's just a rehash of the "me so solly" bit rewritten with intentionally bad 90s content :shrug:

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Sentient Data posted:

It's just a rehash of the "me so solly" bit rewritten with intentionally bad 90s content :shrug:

I'm 99% certain me so solly came much later, I think season 9 or 10. That one is harder to defend because "joke racism" is obviously still racism, so it's just flat-out uncomfortable rather than a fun parody/observation.

Just for the Brits here, it's a bit like how people use "Just a bit of politics for you there, thank you, I'm Ben Elton" as an acceptable punchline to mock certain styles of jokes, but it's harder to parody someone like Bernard Manning without just being racist yourself.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

It's a mid joke at best regardless of era, they didn't always hit home runs. The singing goes on just a bit too long IMO. I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
https://twitter.com/michal_kranz/status/1664982492233826304?s=46&t=KMMfueYvpy-W7VUWexdGpA