Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alaois posted:

i think having the assumption that big trouble in little china is a jackie chan movie is more racist than anything thats actually in big trouble in little china lol

Apparently John Carpenter wanted Jackie Chan to co-star in the film and offered him the role but he turned it down :(

The studio were also worried that Chan's English wasn't good enough, those idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I just remembered that for a brief moment there was a plan to remake Big Trouble with The Rock in the lead role and god I can only imagine how loving bad that would be.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Jedit posted:

Big Trouble in Little China is an intentional subversion of White Saviour narratives. Jack Burton is a blustering, ignorant fool who is in way over his head and fucks up almost everything he tries, but thinks he can take charge because he's a True American Hero. He's the butt of every joke. The Chinese characters, meanwhile, are all very competent and understand what's going on.

Totally this. Plus James Hong is a gem in whatever film he's in.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Mr Interweb posted:

but while we're on the subject, one thing i always found fascinatng was how the MK theme became orders of magnitude more popular than the movie itself. lots of people haven't seen MK, but EVERYONE'S heard of the MK theme.

The track was in all the ads. Marketing campaigns are still one of the main ways people vicariously experience other media, and it was even more so back in the day.

Torquemada posted:

I saw it a couple years ago, and I can't remember anything too egregious. It was a lot clearer to me that Jack is actually the sidekick this time, passed me by when I saw it at release.

Yep, it's been a few years myself so grain of salt and all that, but if anything I'd guess Big Trouble in Little China probably plays better today than it did in the 80s. Now that we're some distance away from the "everybody was kung fu fighting" era the movie feels more like the sendup of stereotypes that it is and harder to mistake for a genuine iteration of them.

But like I said it's been a few years, lol...

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
There's a full on display in the National War Museum celebrating the VC and uniform of the most decorated Solider alive and going out of it's way to state that this is the man you want to be.

Yesterday, he was found guilty in a court of law of being a war criminal, murderer, abuser, bully and domestic abuser.

The War Museum is not removing his place in the museum but says they will "change how it's displayed". This...has not aged well.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mr Interweb posted:

but while we're on the subject, one thing i always found fascinatng was how the MK theme became orders of magnitude more popular than the movie itself. lots of people haven't seen MK, but EVERYONE'S heard of the MK theme.

I remember an mp3 that replaced "Mortal Kombat" with ANAL GANG BANG!!! and now that's the version that reigns in my mind

I was hoping to link it so my post sounds less insane but no luck naturally

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Comstar posted:

There's a full on display in the National War Museum celebrating the VC and uniform of the most decorated Solider alive and going out of it's way to state that this is the man you want to be.

Yesterday, he was found guilty in a court of law of being a war criminal, murderer, abuser, bully and domestic abuser.

I don't watch the news, so I was trying to remember the dude's name, and all my brain would yield was "Ben Cousins", not quite. But I do remember back in the mists of time, when no less a personage than Kate Langbroek had a throwaway crack at Mr Roberts-Smith about his intelligence, and was duly hauled over the coals? Who's laughing now?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Chrpno posted:

But I do remember back in the mists of time, when no less a personage than Kate Langbroek had a throwaway crack at Mr Roberts-Smith about his intelligence, and was duly hauled over the coals? Who's laughing now?

I should have added: the domestic abuse was ruled by the Judge not to have tarnished his honor, as after all the other crimes, it's assumed he has none left.

This was all funded by the richest man in the country who owns one of the television stations and newspapers that's been defending him non-stop.

Or you might say...media that did not age well.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's the weird part: Trevor Goddard is from the UK and he wasn't doing an Australian accent in the movie, it was a Cockney accent and people apparently mistook it for an Australian accent. Apparently he played along with this and even pretended to be an Australian IRL for a while

I guarantee that he's not doing a "cockney" accent here, it's the standard "Australian accent" that everyone in the UK did at the time thanks to the massive success of Neighbours

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When are Harold and Toadfish going to be playable in a Mortal Kombat game?

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Comstar posted:

I should have added: the domestic abuse was ruled by the Judge not to have tarnished his honor, as after all the other crimes, it's assumed he has none left.

This was all funded by the richest man in the country who owns one of the television stations and newspapers that's been defending him non-stop.

Or you might say...media that did not age well.

This decorated war criminal was up until today the general manager of said television station in my home state, which I had no idea about.

loving incredible.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Who are you talking about

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Yeah. Instead of vague posting. I think, from context clues, this is Australia, but like, at first due to National War museum and VC, I thought it could be my home country of Canada.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yeah. Instead of vague posting. I think, from context clues, this is Australia, but like, at first due to National War museum and VC, I thought it could be my home country of Canada.

For the briefest of seconds, I thought there was an American war museum celebrating the Viet Cong as aspirational. Self-awareness!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stayne Falls posted:

For the briefest of seconds, I thought there was an American war museum celebrating the Viet Cong as aspirational. Self-awareness!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

endocriminologist posted:

Who are you talking about

Australian Ben Roberts-Smith, ex-SAS member who received the prestigious Victoria Cross award for "valour in the face of the enemy" who sued a bunch of journalists for defamation when they said he did some war crimes
The judge just threw out his case (ie: confirmed he did some war crimes)

It turns out he was being bankrolled by Kerry Stokes, a billionaire who is the chairman of one of the largest TV stations & news media organsations in Australia and who also employed him as general manager of Seven West Media's Queensland operations
Stokes has also allegedly bankrolled several other high profile defamation cases brought about scumbags (Christian Porter, Bruce Lehrmann, etc etc)

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 15:19 on Jun 2, 2023

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Wonder what it means to be the most decorated soldier in a country that lost a war to birds

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

Wonder what it means to be the most decorated soldier in a country that lost a war to birds

It's more "what's it like to be the most famous Aussie soldier since Breaker Morant?"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

Hey, every country has lost the war against birds. Australia is controlled by the emus, Canada is ruled by the Canadian Goose, I'm assuming the US lost the war against a religious cult ruled over by an ugly scavenger bird...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Randalor posted:

I'm assuming the US lost the war against a religious cult ruled over by an ugly scavenger bird...
Very very nearly

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

I'm assuming the US lost the war against a religious cult ruled over by an ugly scavenger bird...

Never forget that picture of a bunch of bald eagles who found their way into a dumpster full of fish guts and got so gore-soaked while gorging themselves that they were unable to fly

No metaphor

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Phy posted:

Never forget that picture of a bunch of bald eagles who found their way into a dumpster full of fish guts and got so gore-soaked while gorging themselves that they were unable to fly

No metaphor

Brings a tear to your eye. :911:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Chrpno posted:

I don't watch the news, so I was trying to remember the dude's name, and all my brain would yield was "Ben Cousins", not quite. But I do remember back in the mists of time, when no less a personage than Kate Langbroek had a throwaway crack at Mr Roberts-Smith about his intelligence, and was duly hauled over the coals? Who's laughing now?

Ben Cousins for what it's worth has also not aged well. Self medicating schizophrenia with meth is a hell of a thing.

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019
The IIMM thread reminded me of the Ellis/Granov run on the Iron Man comics, where Stark rolls out the ultimate cell phone. And it's this:

On the other hand, something that unfortunately hasn't aged out of relevance is the behavior of its right-wing antagonist...

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The behavior of Warren Ellis unfortunately has aged badly

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Does the guy who did watchmen still have that snake church or did he admit it was a goof?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't remember Alan Moore having a snake church, he's always been the solitary cave wizard type.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
1 man snake cult. I myself was just having a goof, because he was having a goof from the beginning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycon

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Volcott posted:

1 man snake cult

mods plz

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's like what happened with the Star Wars sequels, Star Wars openly and lovingly stole from Flash Gordon sci-fi, samurai and cowboy movies, and war movies, while the sequels were just fixated on being Star Wars, or rather the popular idea of Star Wars, near exclusively. Happens a lot to long running franchises, see also Star Trek.

This is probably the best way I've ever seen it expressed.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Jedit posted:

Wait, are you dissing BTILC?

Not at all, just pointing out Raiden would've been too obvious a ripoff had the Mortal Kombat movie just directly took his appearance from the games.

And on that note, looking back at more clips of Big Trouble it's apparent that the whole aesthetic of Mortal Kombat in general was "Enter the Dragon meets Big Trouble in Little China." Lo-Pan 's an obvious inspiration for Shang Tsung, you can see the various monsters reflected in Goro and the like, etc.

Edit: Oh poo poo the official Scream Factory promo channel posted the same clip I did earlier but they straight up gave it the headline "Mortal Kombat"! :xd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92kCIrkClno

Jedit posted:

And became good enough at it that he began stealing work from actual Aussie actors, who were understandably quite pissed off about it. It's sad that he never got bigger than he did - he certainly deserved at least a main credits role on TV.

Looks like Trevor Goddard had a pretty major recurring role on JAG for a few years at least - I wonder what accent he used in that.

SidneyIsTheKiller has a new favorite as of 10:03 on Jun 3, 2023

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Looks like Trevor Goddard had a pretty major recurring role on JAG for a few years at least - I wonder what accent he used in that.

Holy poo poo I never realized Mic was Kano. Yeah. He used a fake-as-hell Aussie accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHrsurfxaoQ

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Not at all, just pointing out Raiden would've been too obvious a ripoff had the Mortal Kombat movie just directly took his appearance from the games.

And on that note, looking back at more clips of Big Trouble it's apparent that the whole aesthetic of Mortal Kombat in general was "Enter the Dragon meets Big Trouble in Little China." Lo-Pan 's an obvious inspiration for Shang Tsung, you can see the various monsters reflected in Goro and the like, etc.

Edit: Oh poo poo the official Scream Factory promo channel posted the same clip I did earlier but they straight up gave it the headline "Mortal Kombat"! :xd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92kCIrkClno

Also, Kano's knife throw attack in the first game was inspired by the the Three Storms throwing their knives during the big street fight.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I just watched the 2010 Jonah Hex movie based on the old DC Western comic series and it was a terrible bomb back when it was released so I don't know if you can say it didn't age well if it always stank but you really gotta wonder who greenlit a film where the hero was an ex-Confederate soldier who still wore his Confederate uniform and rejected the legitimacy of the Union. The film goes to fairly significant pains to explain that he wasn't in favour of slavery and actually has a black friend who he trusts and respects and the only reason he fought against the Union was that he was anti-big-government, and in the end he actually turned in his commander and squad because they were trying to slaughter innocents and was considered a hero by the Union forces. But then it goes and plays the traditional pro-Confederate folk song I'm a Good Ol' Rebel over the closing credits which was a real fuckin' choice I gotta say. (They cut out the nastiest lyrics, their version was much much shorter)

Also Michael Fassbender plays a psychopathic Irish character who inexplicably has traditional Maori facial tattoos. :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f63BYEY8Tdw

(Crossposted from CD where I made a longer post going over the general shittiness of the film)

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

https://twitter.com/jsf/status/1664351038252494851

Looks like folks are turning on Hannah Gadsby and Nanette?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pachylad posted:

Article is paywalled for me, but there was a backlash against Gadsby recently after beloved Australian transphobe Barry Humphries died and people dug up stuff Gadsby had said about him years ago

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pachylad posted:

https://twitter.com/jsf/status/1664351038252494851

this av club article makes it out to basically be a bunch of critics smelling blood in the water from a bad art exhibit and taking out old axes against nanette: https://www.avclub.com/hannah-gadsby-picasso-exhibit-roasted-by-art-critics-1850500085

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Here's a gift link.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Alaois posted:

The behavior of Warren Ellis unfortunately has aged badly

Never go back and read his stuff it's a lot creepier with what's known about him now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is there any writer/artist from that ‘90s/’00s period who deliberately cultivated a notable online following who didn’t turn out to be a predator? Whedon is the big one, but even weirdo youtube people who are basically not notable tried to get in on that and ended up being rapists.