Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Impermanent posted:

I'm pretty sure a few ultimas had a similar thing going on
The first three Ultimas have spaceships, Luke Skywalker's landspeeder and giant computers (along with evil flooring) because they were just a pile of random ideas that some solo nerd in Texas threw together into an adventure game he was programming. The majority of Ultima 2 explicitly takes place on "Earth" (although it is the Earth of 2111 after the atomic holocaust caused by the angry girlfriend of the evil wizard from Ultima 1). It wasn't until later in the series that anybody tried to make an actual world or a story for the games and they did a pretty good job of it until they stopped doing a good job of it and fell off of a cliff. Exactly where that cliff is depends on the gamer but for the most part people agree that 4, 5 and 6 are the golden age of Ultima being something worth talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

The first game has robots and a flying city/space station

for some reason all the ports and remasters of final fantasy 1 turn the flying castle into a generic castle instead of a space station its bullshit

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Having your fantasy world turn out to secretly have cool (possibly magical) tech castles, robots, and even evil metal ships and ufos is a pretty solid staple of a ton of old RPGs. And it's always going to be cool imo.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Need more sci-fis that turn out to secretly be medieval fantasies

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Pigbuster posted:

That's just Star Trek every time they go to a primitive planet.

Or Star Ocean to be even more direct about it, I guess.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Pigbuster posted:

Phantasy Star 2 and 4 are alright.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pigbuster posted:

Star Wars?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Nuebot posted:

Having your fantasy world turn out to secretly have cool (possibly magical) tech castles, robots, and even evil metal ships and ufos is a pretty solid staple of a ton of old RPGs. And it's always going to be cool imo.

Come to think of it, that was actually kind of a pre-isekai boom staple of a lot of Japanese high fantasy media. It runs the full range from low-key examples of more advanced technology making brief appearances in otherwise fantasy-focused series like that giant mecha golem in Slayers or the lost precursor robots of Monster Rancher to series that more actively blend the two genres like Vision of Escaflowne, El Hazard or even Outlaw Star I honestly kind of first discovered the idea of science fantasy through anime and video games.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The post-apocalypse Game of Throne theories are funny stupid because it's poo poo like 'oh this castle is big and round, obviously it's an abandoned nuclear power plant'

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KingKalamari posted:

Come to think of it, that was actually kind of a pre-isekai boom staple of a lot of Japanese high fantasy media. It runs the full range from low-key examples of more advanced technology making brief appearances in otherwise fantasy-focused series like that giant mecha golem in Slayers or the lost precursor robots of Monster Rancher to series that more actively blend the two genres like Vision of Escaflowne, El Hazard or even Outlaw Star I honestly kind of first discovered the idea of science fantasy through anime and video games.

Sorcerous Stabber Orphen's got some elements hinting at an advance ancient magitech civilization too with the caretaker robot and Killing Doll.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

DaysBefore posted:

The post-apocalypse Game of Throne theories are funny stupid because it's poo poo like 'oh this castle is big and round, obviously it's an abandoned nuclear power plant'

The opening credits imply that the world is inside a Dyson Sphere.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nuebot posted:

everyone should watch The Vision of Escaflowne, Escaflowne is great

https://i.imgur.com/YaJ64e7.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/SCJwTiP.mp4

it turns into a dragon! it's a knight that turns into a dragon, so much fantasy in one robot!!!!
https://i.imgur.com/mgORsjL.mp4

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Captain Invictus posted:

everyone should watch The Vision of Escaflowne, Escaflowne is great

:hmmyes:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
While you're there you gotta watch Magic Knights Rayearth too

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Phantasy Star 2 and 4 are alright.

All four are worth playing really, the first is drat good too. Better than 2.

(Ok, 3 is pretty skippable but certainly an interesting oddity)

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

NorgLyle posted:

The first three Ultimas have spaceships, Luke Skywalker's landspeeder and giant computers (along with evil flooring) because they were just a pile of random ideas that some solo nerd in Texas threw together into an adventure game he was programming. The majority of Ultima 2 explicitly takes place on "Earth" (although it is the Earth of 2111 after the atomic holocaust caused by the angry girlfriend of the evil wizard from Ultima 1). It wasn't until later in the series that anybody tried to make an actual world or a story for the games and they did a pretty good job of it until they stopped doing a good job of it and fell off of a cliff. Exactly where that cliff is depends on the gamer but for the most part people agree that 4, 5 and 6 are the golden age of Ultima being something worth talking about.

Hey now, Ultima 7 parts 1 and 2 are fairly decent. (Moreso when you realise they were written by Raymond Benson the guy that wrote Dark Seed 2). And I like 8 for what its worth. But yeah. Dunno, wasn't really going anywhere with this, I just haven't had much opportunity to point out that Raymond Benson wrote Ultima 7, after I discovered that fact. Anyways carry on.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zeniel posted:

Hey now, Ultima 7 parts 1 and 2 are fairly decent. (Moreso when you realise they were written by Raymond Benson the guy that wrote Dark Seed 2). And I like 8 for what its worth. But yeah. Dunno, wasn't really going anywhere with this, I just haven't had much opportunity to point out that Raymond Benson wrote Ultima 7, after I discovered that fact. Anyways carry on.

the weirdest "who wrote this" fact is that "The Lights of Zetar" from the original series of Star Trek was written by Shari Lewis. Yes, THAT Shari Lewis.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

DanielCross posted:

I also recall several old-school RPG's (Might and Magic at least? Probably some others) that have Crashed Alien Ship (that may also have been here since ancient times) dungeons. And also the classic "He-Man is the son of astronauts from Earth who crashed on Eternia" thing that had no actual bearing on any of the series.

wizardry has a lot especially the 6-8 trilogy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQpP5mRgsls

History Buffs hits 1917.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4_S7UOFafo

New long video from Maraganger, on the style and art design of HYLICS.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Kim Justice posted:

All four are worth playing really, the first is drat good too. Better than 2.

(Ok, 3 is pretty skippable but certainly an interesting oddity)

Yeah the version of PS 1 with the auto map on Switch is my favorite one.

You can also do it with graph paper, but back before the switch port I had some frustrating runs getting my map wrong on one of the later pitfall heavy dungeons.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBrAcCXoH0Y

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'm not a fan of anything this game is doing. I hate it and am sad it exists.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Gertrude Perkins posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4_S7UOFafo

New long video from Maraganger, on the style and art design of HYLICS.

This is a great video. I really wish I could have gotten into Hylics but the lack of direction just didn't vibe with me. Same with Yume Nikki really. :sigh:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

i like how rats are freinds :)

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
hosed up that the Rat King is in fact not a rat king.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Sardonik posted:

This is a great video. I really wish I could have gotten into Hylics but the lack of direction just didn't vibe with me. Same with Yume Nikki really. :sigh:

Hylics is definitely all about vibes. There are some fun numbers-go-up RPG elements but it's just a neat world to exist in for a few hours.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Skippy McPants posted:

it rules

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

its good

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'm sorry. I have no nostalgia for the 90s, nor its vibe.

Not that the 80s were any better, or the aughts. If nostalgia has taught me anything, it's that decades were a mistake.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

Not that the 80s were any better, or the aughts. If nostalgia has taught me anything, it's that decades were a mistake.

:chloe:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, whatever. I still think the game is dumb and that awful idea you had as a jaded teenager doesn't become a better idea as a jaded adult.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Do you not get that it's a parody?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

Do you not get that it's a parody?

Of course I do. I just think it's a bad parody.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, whatever. I still think the game is dumb and that awful idea you had as a jaded teenager doesn't become a better idea as a jaded adult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR3-U_AmRiU

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

Are your hobbies burning calendars and smashing hourglasses?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Skippy McPants posted:

it's a spinoff of hypnospace outlaw lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Archer666 posted:

Are your hobbies burning calendars and smashing hourglasses?

Drag the sun from the sky so all the sundials quit working.