Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I don’t know how it’s possible to beat the King Gleeok without the Thunder Helm or lightning-resistant equivalent because I get zapped every time I try to ride an icicle up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The king gleeok was the first one I killed too, but I never actually saw the puzzle solving part. When I saw it start flying into the air for the start of its second phase(?), I jumped off a zonai spring, matrix bullet timed a million keese eyeballs into its heads and instantly knocked it down before it could do anything.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I also really liked the King Gleeok fight. It took me like six tries to evolve a winning strategy. The two right before I won, I made it to final stage and kept getting zapped riding the icicles. To finally get him, rocket shield up, baby. right before he starts climbing.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

MokBa posted:

I don’t know how it’s possible to beat the King Gleeok without the Thunder Helm or lightning-resistant equivalent because I get zapped every time I try to ride an icicle up.

Do the same thing you do during a thunderstorm: take off anything metal.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Kinda proud of how good I’ve gotten at flying

https://i.imgur.com/JzHkFw8.mp4

Sometimes in tunnel caves in the depths I feel like Han Solo flying through asteroids

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Tokelau All Star posted:

I also really liked the King Gleeok fight. It took me like six tries to evolve a winning strategy. The two right before I won, I made it to final stage and kept getting zapped riding the icicles. To finally get him, rocket shield up, baby. right before he starts climbing.

That's what I tried, but I didn't get enough height, so i had to really angle my shots to barely get one head, and in trying to get the height again I got zapped and discouraged.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
https://twitter.com/zelda_watchan/status/1664577539824836610

Someone went fishing with a Korok. :stonklol:

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

MorningMoon posted:

That's what I tried, but I didn't get enough height, so i had to really angle my shots to barely get one head, and in trying to get the height again I got zapped and discouraged.

Start the rocket like 1.5 seconds earlier so you're above him before he starts rising and you should be good.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

For a game that's so well designed, Orochium Shrine really stands out as a bad one Considering the game and media generally tells you touching laser beams = bad it took me way too long to figure out the solution

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

For a game that's so well designed, Orochium Shrine really stands out as a bad one Considering the game and media generally tells you touching laser beams = bad it took me way too long to figure out the solution

It took me a while to figure out that one too, but the shrine is literally called 'Courage to Fall' which is a pretty heavy implication that at some point triggering the pitfall trap would be the only way to progress

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Wow brightbloom flowers don’t do poo poo in the Faron storm

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

My videogame instincts tell me to just run through things like that to see what happens. Especially when the stakes are so low. FromSoft games and also Mario games have me always wondering if there's a secret route under any supposed trap.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
What's the best way to get onto the Light Dragon besides a flying machine? I understand that doing a specific quest alters its flight path to an extent but I wanna get some sweet sweet parts early.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

What's the best way to get onto the Light Dragon besides a flying machine? I understand that doing a specific quest alters its flight path to an extent but I wanna get some sweet sweet parts early.

The way I did it was I waited until it got relatively close to the room you wake up in at the start of the game, then flew over to it on a simple wings + fan

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

So, I found a shrine in a very foggy sky island with some creative use of the sensor and ascend which eventually led me to a particular quest with an unexpected reward, and I was wondering without spoilers how much did I skip to get there?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Sam Faust posted:

So, I found a shrine in a very foggy sky island with some creative use of the sensor and ascend which eventually led me to a particular quest with an unexpected reward, and I was wondering without spoilers how much did I skip to get there?

At a certain point there's an explicit signpost that points you directly toward where you went, but it begins as a multi-stage quest going from A to B to C ... XYZ where you ended up.

I'm blown away by how many people are finding this early, I never thought for a second that would be someplace I you could just go to.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

MokBa posted:

I think the going strat is to shoot it down before it gets out of range, by shotgunning keese eyeballs or employing a rocket shield and bullet time or the like, but the first time I encountered it, I rode the lightning updrafts to about halfway up, which was just close enough that a fully charged zonai bow shot could reach them, which took me many tries but felt hell of boss when I pulled it off.

Inadequately posted:

It took me a while to figure out that one too, but the shrine is literally called 'Courage to Fall' which is a pretty heavy implication that at some point triggering the pitfall trap would be the only way to progress

Yeah, but the beef is that there is nothing in the game that tells you the red lasers are tripwires. The only way to discover this is by triggering one. I ended up leaving it unsolved until I'd played more of the game and learned that the blue lasers were the damage lasers, and therefore had reason to experiment with what the red ones might do.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

bawk posted:

At a certain point there's an explicit signpost that points you directly toward where you went, but it begins as a multi-stage quest going from A to B to C ... XYZ where you ended up.

I'm blown away by how many people are finding this early, I never thought for a second that would be someplace I you could just go to.

it was literally the third place I went to after getting my glider. The first place was the final boss, and the second was the master sword. I saw stormcloud land, went 'I am clearly not supposed to be there. That is reason enough to be there.' and brute forced my way through despite being effectively blind. Fun fact, it doesn't trigger any of the 'you completed a dungeon' world state changes

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I love the thunderstorm islands yeah, finding your way around blind feels boss as hell.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

bawk posted:

It's a giant thunderstorm covering a significant fraction of the sky. You can bet your rear end people are going to dive straight into it and poke around for something meaningful

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

When I first saw it, my first thought was "Alright, the Thunder Helm is in this game too and there's a whole island chain I can do once I get it" because I figured it would be like that whole area from Breath of the Wild.

This game is wild, I can't wait to replay it in a couple years when the mod scene has been out in full force and the DLC is out.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Just Andi Now posted:

While this works if you have a good two-handed weapon to spin with, using a puffshroom to sneak strike silver enemies will let you get them down in 2-3 hits if you use a weapon in the 50-60 damage range.

I take silvers out with one hit at this point, puff to sneakstrike is the obvious strat.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I am currently in the Faron storm and it’s primo stuff, just scary and dark and confusing as hell

Edit

Wonderful

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

now glue a bomb to it

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Was flying around real high above the clouds near the world borders, and there's just something fascinating about what could be out there. Like, obviously I know that's just arbitrary, empty geography the map designers set up to make the world look bigger, but the way it's laid out makes me want to go explore it anyway. Kinda hope if we do get a new game set in the same world that they expand on those areas.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's interesting how permissive this game is story wise...

broad strokes spoilers: One of the first things I did was pull the Master Sword, did all of the Dragon Tears next, and then I just unlocked Mineru... as my first sage. I went to Kakariko and Lookout to see if any dialogue would pop up, but Purah was all "CHECK OUT THE 4 REGIONS, HOMIE!!!.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Is there any way at all to track Sign Guy?

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

Flying machines blinking green and falling apart after going any distance has to be some of the worst anti-fun bullshit. The distance is so short too.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's kinda pointless yeah - especially since you can just make hoverbikes and they don't decay. I guess they didn't want you to glide off the starting islands?

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

Augus posted:

came up with an alternative theory: they’re giant cannons built by Purah that will shoot Link up into the sky

Nice one :hmmyes:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sam Faust posted:

Funny story for there; I went poking around there relatively early on, found a Shrine and figured I couldn't see poo poo or anything of note, so I left figuring I'd unlock something later in the story and come back.

Cue me getting to the Dragonhead Isle in earnest much later, working my way along it with clear skies, getting back to that same shrine figuring it was the start of an exploration/puzzle chain on the island... only to realize there was a vine wall nearby I'd overlooked completely when the storm was active :cripes:. And right behind it was the door leading to Mineru

:negative:

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I so wish the whistle was a different, less accessible button. I keep blowing up my sneaky plans by accident.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

taco show posted:

I so wish the whistle was a different, less accessible button. I keep blowing up my sneaky plans by accident.

I mean it's pretty loving absurd that for a game released in 2023, the only buttons I can remap are dash and jump, and all I can do is swap them. I loving hate crouch being on the left stick. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally started to throw my weapon (most of the time I catch it but sometimes, off it goes), how many times I've accidentally hit the whistle button, etc. I gently caress up switching my hand abilities all the time. I absolutely hate so many of the button choices, the crouch one being my least favorite, and it's insane you can't change them.

I also wish I could toggle it so I could hit a button to latch on to the wall because I hate when I'm running from something or whatever and Link just latches on to the wall like he's Spiderman

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

To be fair, the other prediction in that post didn't exactly pan out.

Augus posted:

Gleeok will probably be really fun to fight

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Macaluso posted:

I mean it's pretty loving absurd that for a game released in 2023, the only buttons I can remap are dash and jump, and all I can do is swap them. I loving hate crouch being on the left stick. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally started to throw my weapon (most of the time I catch it but sometimes, off it goes), how many times I've accidentally hit the whistle button, etc. I gently caress up switching my hand abilities all the time. I absolutely hate so many of the button choices, the crouch one being my least favorite, and it's insane you can't change them.

I also wish I could toggle it so I could hit a button to latch on to the wall because I hate when I'm running from something or whatever and Link just latches on to the wall like he's Spiderman

It's not that bad, you get used to it quickly

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's not that bad, you get used to it quickly

Some of us have, according to my Switch, 70+ hours and... still do not get used to it quickly :v:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Sounds like a you problem, not the games problem

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

Sounds like a you problem, not the games problem

Lol okay

Anyway, it's dumb you can't remap all the controls

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Dash and jump should be next to each other by default, absolutely absurd to make it impossible to cover/roll both with one thumb. no other platforming game does that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Macaluso posted:

Lol okay

Anyway, it's dumb you can't remap all the controls

It was annoying in the first one, and it's annoying now years later. The four face buttons at minimum should all be mappable so you can sprint and jump without clawing the controller.