Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for telling my brother his wife is not allowed at family day?

quote:

Hey everyone, so my brother has been with his wife for 6 years. She’s always been an amazing SIL and aunt to my babies, but recently she was unaware I was omw to my brothers house and happened to be meeting with her own mother at the same time. I always just walk in the house through the garage when I come over, but this time they were sitting on the back porch and I overheard her tell her mother she thought I was a bad mother for vaccinating my children and that “at the end of day, I’ll be sorry”, she also stated she felt “uncomfortable around us” i felt this was an attack on me and my family. I immediately left and called my brother to tell him what had happened and that I wasn’t comfortable with her coming to my house anymore, which is we’re we host family day every weekend. He proceeded to tell me that what she said to her mother was in confidence and that I shouldn’t of been sneaking around the house. I’m completely floored I have no idea how to respond. Am I the rear end in a top hat here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for not waiting to dye my hair?

quote:

context- My extended family (25-30 of us) often (every 3 weeks to a month) have gathering/events at some of my older relatives houses since they all have lots of space. I don't always attend since I don't get along with some of the people but I do go sometimes because it's nice to have the entire family in one place. Most of my family is religious and some of the older generation is old fashioned.

My brother got a new girlfriend and this was her first time coming to one of our gatherings, and the first me and a lot of the family met her. I have mousy brown hair that I've dyed once or twice to blonde, but last week i decided to get pretty bold pink highlights and was really happy with them.

When I met brother's girlfriend, she clearly didn't like my hair even though she didn't say it outright, it was clear she was uncomfortable, and didn't speak to me for long before walking away (politely).

Later, when most people had left, brother confronted me about this. He called me an rear end in a top hat because I knew his girlfriend is extremely religious and I should have waited until after the event to dye my hair, and it was my fault the girlfriend had a bad impression of me now. He also accused me of trying to attention seek since this event was supposed to be about his new girlfriend but I also got some attention for my hair, especially from the kids and teens. Some of my family, like my aunts and older cousins, are siding with him and I think someone even said I shouldn't feel the need to dye my hair in the first place and I should be happy with the hair god gave me. So reddit, AITA?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Upgrade posted:

This weird rear end post does an excellent job of making my point.

How is my post "weird"?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Upgrade posted:

pile of gently caress

Shut up

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Crocobile posted:

AITA for not using my husbands "hilarious" gift?

:whitewater:

This gives off real "written one-handed" vibes to me.

t-.-t
Nov 25, 2006

AITA for having my girlfriend over all the time?

quote:

I have a basement apartment by myself. It is a one bedroom, with my landlord and his wife living above me. I pay a cheap rent and half the utilities for the house. Landlord is a friend from high school that we hang out with socially quite often.

My girlfriend got a new job within ten minutes of my apartment and her house is about an hour away. It wasn’t intentional (the job kind of landed in her lap and is good money), so it makes more sense for her to stay with me more frequently when she is working in office. It has been this way for about 6 months that my girlfriend is at my apartment about 4-5 nights a week. There is street parking, so my girlfriend doesn’t occupy the driveway and my entrance is separate with a locked door between the units.

This week I am working midnights. Girlfriend has a key and has been staying at my place while I’m at work in the evening since Wednesday. Yesterday (Thursday evening) I get call from landlord flipping that she has been there, saying he doesn’t like other people in his space. I say it’s my space she is in as she doesn’t leave my unit (and is locked from entering his) and he says he is not comfortable with someone there without me. My girlfriend and I went to their all inclusive wedding, she is not a stranger to him and I said as much. It turned into argument that couldn’t be solved while I was at work, so I told him my girlfriend would go home for the evening and him and I would sort it out in the morning.

My girlfriend was upset, but packed to leave. While packing, my girlfriend called me in tears because my friend could be heard upstairs screaming about her being there and presumably smashing stuff. I could hear him through the phone, so I told my girlfriend to leave her stuff and I would bring it.

When I arrived home that morning from my overnight work shift, I let my landlord know I would be moving out. He was very upset and said I’m TA for leaving him hanging for my rent next month when all he is asking is to have my girlfriend over less. I told him he’s now made it so my girlfriend is uncomfortable at my place at all and that I want to live somewhere, where I can have guests at my own discretion, especially when I am paying half the utilities. He said it’s not about money, but about “comfortability” and he’d be happy to talk to my girlfriend to make sure she knows they are still friends. I just want to be done with it, he made it clear what he is comfortable with and I made it clear what I am. AITA for wanting to move out so I can continue to have my girlfriend over all the time?

ETA - to clarify a common question, we had no formal signed lease and were just on a month to month basis. Where I live, legally I can have guests stay up to fortnight (14 days) before it is considered additional occupancy, though I know she stays more than what most call a guest.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

t-.-t posted:

loving landlords man. Petty tyrants one minute then as soon as you pack up your poo poo and start to leave your "leaving the poor landlord hanging". Too bad motherfucker should've had him sign a lease. But oh wait, then you couldn't put in a clause of "I'm gonna scream at your girlfriend for no reason."

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for laughing at my gf after she said she wants to do modeling?

quote:

Little background: My 21M my GF 20M we’ve been together for over 2 years. Recently she was fired by her job and she’s actively looking for a new one, she’s a relatively obese and has PCOS ( manifested by obesity/ body hair/ acne etc important for next part.

So today we were having a conversation about her job status and she said she wants to do modeling I immediately laughed and told her for who? McDonald’s she didn’t share the same sense of humor as me.

And said why you don’t find me attractive to do modeling? i told her you have an amazing personality, very funny, witty, etc. and but you’re not great in the looks department but I can see past things like that.

She started to cry and despite my best efforts to reassure her that her looks are not important to me, she refused to listen.

And that left me wondering aita?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

DeeplyConcerned posted:

How is my post "weird"?

"my Corky" was very much weird

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

The Bramble posted:

This story really bothers me. I’m a new father, and not Getting Your poo poo Together for the sake of your kid blows my mind. You don’t get to whine about how change is hard, lady.

If you want to see something jaw-dropping take a look at the interrogation of Jennifer Eiland after her child wandered away and died. The situation is horrifying but it sort of becomes hilarious as Eiland fills us in on every minute detail of her day and then the detective steadily rips her apart for being a delusionally awful parent. I've seen depressed people before and this is something else, maybe something pathological. (She got 24 years for negligent manslaughter.)

Crocobile posted:

AITA for not putting my shirt back on?

Kinda a bummer to hear her second guessing her scars & stretchmarks, but she’s way ahead of most 19yos for holding her ground.
I've been able to avoid a lot of bodyshame-y stuff online but every now and then I read something about Lizzo and it kills any hope I had for humanity. Yes, stand-up comedian, women get mad when you say they look like Lizzo because they know you're saying it to be cruel. Good on OP for not backing down.

And

quote:

DEAR ABBY: My grandson is 6 and very sensitive, maybe too sensitive. He's also lovable, super scientific-minded, good-hearted and generous with his little sister. However, he still uses a diaper at night and has CVS (cyclical vomiting syndrome). It's heartbreaking. For that reason, he's on a special gluten-free, no flour, no chocolate diet.

The other day at school (he is in kindergarten), they had a presentation with a magician about the danger of drugs and alcohol. Just to let you know, his parents are very much into teaching their kids morals and values, and they only let him watch cartoons like "Paw Patrol" and similar programs. No movies and no TV in general. (Abby, isn't this too early to introduce the subject of drugs and alcohol to children in school?) My grandson asked, "What are drugs and what is alcohol?" Long story short, he was super scared and started to cry in class.

The school called his parents and he came home devastated. We reassured him that in our homes there are no drugs, and alcohol is in a special cabinet only for adults who use it in moderation and only occasionally because it can hurt your body and mind.

Finally, he fell asleep still crying and took a short nap. He woke up still worried about the presentation, but Mom and Dad explained there was nothing to worry about, that he was living in a safe house and nobody would hurt him or Mom or Dad and no one in his family would be hurt by drugs or alcohol.

What is your opinion on this matter of super sensitivity? I love him so much. -- CONCERNED GRANDMA

DEAR CONCERNED: There are many super-sensitive adults who began life as super-sensitive children. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but children must learn to exist in and to navigate the increasingly complicated world in which they live. Your grandson's parents should have his pediatrician recommend a licensed child psychologist who can help the boy and his parents address the challenges ahead.
I do not approve of bullying, but I want to bully this kid. Or his grandmother.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

t-.-t posted:

Friends off

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

trickybiscuits posted:

I do not approve of bullying, but I want to bully this kid. Or his grandmother.

I mostly want to bully the magician.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I want to see some drug and alcohol magic tricks

Barudak
May 7, 2007

haveblue posted:

I want to see some drug and alcohol magic tricks

And they say he turned 2 tabs and a handful of pills into enough to last for an entire rave.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I would like to apologize. I was unaware that my telling of personal stories had become such an issue in the thread. I won’t be doing that anymore, and thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I'll donate 50 bucks to a charity of your choice to reverse this decision and probate the bad opinion haver.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:justpost: the stories

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

t-.-t posted:

Does anyone else get the sense the landlord made an advance on the girlfriend and was solidly rejected?

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for laughing at my gf after she said she wants to do modeling?

Lol. What an idiot.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

This one isn’t anything new but has a happy ending:
AITA for being uncomfortable with my boyfriend's friend calling me "b***h"?

quote:

For context, I am a 31F living with my boyfriend "Mike" who is 34. Mike has a friend "Victor" who comes over a lot. Yesterday, Victor came over to watch baseball with Mike. Victor asked me to pass him a beer so I passed one over but I dropped it. It didn't crack open or anything, but he said "Nice one, bitch." I was honestly shocked and said excuse me? He started laughing and Mike joined in. I was very uncomfortable and genuinely didn't know what to say. I told Victor that I didn't appreciate him calling me a bitch. He got super defensive and said he was saying it "jokingly". I said it doesn't matter how you were trying to say it, I am uncomfortable. He got very huffy and said I was just being "sensitive" and then he said "and you're probably going to accuse me of being a sexist now aren't you. Can't say anything these days." This was wild because A) I didn't say anything about sexism and B) What do you mean "can't say anything"? Can't call women "bitches" unsolicited anymore? What even was his point here?

Mike hadn't said anything during this interaction until I called him out. I asked why he wasn't defending me and he said "idk babe you're being a bit dramatic." At this point I'd had enough so I told them to leave and they went to Victor's to watch the game. Up until this point I thought I was in the right until Mike texted me angrily. He said I'd embarrassed him in front of a friend by being so melodramatic and SJW-y. He said Victor didn't mean any harm, and it was like how my friends call me bitch lovingly/jokingly. He also said it was uncalled for for me to kick him and Victor out of the house when Mike literally lives there. I said it's completely different because my friends make sure I'm okay with it and don't say it in a derogatory manner like Victor did. Plus, my friends are wonderful women who have supported me for years, not some friend of my boyfriend's who I barely know. And I was supposed to just let myself be disrespected in my own home? He called me annoying again and then turned notifications off.

He slept over last night (Victor lives alone) and hasn't come home yet. I think I might be the rear end in a top hat because it's true that my friends call me bitch, and although it's different as I said above, it's possible that it confused Victor and made him think that was ok. I also didn't mean to make Victor uncomfortable/put him in the hot seat as a guest in my house. AITA?

EDIT: Accidentally referred to "Victor" as "Lucas" (these are fake names and I changed my mind halfway through making the post lol)

EDIT 2: oh my god. I was not expecting this to blow up like it did. I am so incredibly grateful for every single one of you who commented and I feel so supported. It’s impossible for me to respond to everyone but know that I’m reading your comments and I’m so thankful. I’m working things out right now, but I am safe, thank you so much for the concern. I’ll add a longer explanation and update later today when everything gets settled. A lot has happened since I made this post so I want to be able to update properly. Much love to you all, I am so overwhelmed with your kindness 💖

UPDATE: This will probably be my final update considering the thread is now locked (which is sad). Firstly, thank you all so, so much for all the support. It means so much to me. I'm so overwhelmed reading all the comments telling me that I deserve better, that I haven't wasted my time with Mike, that I'm worth more. It truly means the world. Also, thanks for all the lovely PMs I've been receiving. Reading these comments have made me realize that I'm still young and have my life ahead of me, and I am sure I don't want to spend it with a man like Mike especially after what happened today.

Today has been wild. To start, Mike didn't come home last night, meaning he has now spent two nights over there instead of confronting the issue like a mature adult. He didn't even text me to let me know that he was alive. So I texted him saying that I didn't appreciate at all what happened and that we should talk about it if there is any chance of saving this relationship. He sent me these wild paragraphs that basically said "fine, leave me. good luck finding someone else who will want to gently caress you, you'll never find another man because you're just another annoying crazy bitch, victor was right, you're a c*nt, etc." He basically typed an entire essay, it was pretty funny but also disturbing. I couldn't believe a man I thought I loved was saying such nasty and disrespectful things to me. I texted back: "lol alright. have fun calling me whatever the gently caress you want with victor, i won't be around to take it. we're done." His text truly was the last straw for me because he didn't apologize or even try to talk it out, he just immediately jumped to calling me names and saying really horrible things. I took my stuff (luckily it wasn't much to pack because all the furniture was Mike's) and drove to my sister's, where I'm currently living with her and her girlfriend. I hope I can find a permanent living arrangement soon.

Once again, thank you so much for all the support. I wouldn't have had the courage to end things without all the kind words and promises that things will get better, and that I deserve more than this. I was scared to leave because for some reason, people seem to think that women lose their "value" after turning 30. Looking back, Mike made this message clear to me as well during our relationship. I felt like I was undesirable because of my age and that I was lucky to even have a guy who could stand me. But reading your comments made me realize: I'm still young and there's plenty of time to find someone who will treat me right. Again, I am so incredibly grateful. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. 💜

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

lostleaf posted:

Does anyone else get the sense the landlord made an advance on the girlfriend and was solidly rejected?
Some low level creeper/peeper vibes, too.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

the holy poopacy posted:

I mostly want to bully the magician.

Bully 'em all, let God sort them out

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

quote:

people seem to think that women lose their "value" after turning 30
Lol

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
look it is a scientific fact that men never lose their sexual value but women do it once they have a kid, or more partners than their current boyfriend, or hit age 30.

AITAH for choosing my nephew's birthday gift?

quote:

My (40m) nephew has a birthday coming up, and I decided I wanted to get him something STEM related. I told my girlfriend (35f) that I was figuring it out. She kept insisting we get him something that a kid his age would typically like, hue light strips or shoes... I finally said that I appreciated her concern and energy, but I would run with the STEM gift. She got angry, and we argued, and finally, she said she was going to get him something because "he needs something that isn't lame," which led to more arguing about her being controlling. AITAH?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Cowslips Warren posted:

look it is a scientific fact that men never lose their sexual value but women do it once they have a kid, or more partners than their current boyfriend, or hit age 30.

I read this a couple times as "my nephew (40m)" and was like, yeah a middle-aged guy might like some Pumas or something.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Cowslips Warren posted:

This really depends on the kid's age & interests. I bought a junior microscope for my 5 year old nephew's birthday not because it was ‘educational' or 'STEM', but because he loving loves roaming around the garden with a magnifying glass examining bugs and a microscope will probably be something he'll enjoy.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Creature posted:

This really depends on the kid's age & interests. I bought a junior microscope for my 5 year old nephew's birthday not because it was ‘educational' or 'STEM', but because he loving loves roaming around the garden with a magnifying glass examining bugs and a microscope will probably be something he'll enjoy.

many years ago, i think the last year Toys R Us was around, i found 3 foot tall plush Olafs on their website. you could order 2 at a time for $3 each. i might have ordered like 10 of them. 1 for each of the kids I nannied, one for secret santa, one for my nephew who was like 6. I figured he could at least have a giant snowman. well, after I wrapped him up, i found out everyone else had pitched in and gotten him a Playstation or xbox, whatever the new console was that year, and some new games. Well poo poo, no kid is gonna want huge Olaf.

as it turned out Olaf was a hit. the kid was excited for the games, yes, but the adults mostly played. because nephew was carrying Olaf all over the house, wrestling with him, jumping on him; i got sent some pics of my nephew asleep on the drat plushie. He loved that thing more than the game system.

i don't remember which goon got giant Olaf in SASS but i remember them posting they screamed because he barely fit in the box, so once they cut the packing tape off, the box top broke open like a jack in the box and HERE'S OLAF.

AITA for not getting my boyfriend's niece a gift?

quote:

I have been dating my boyfriend for 2 years. I usually pick out birthday presents for family and friends, which is something I don't mind doing. Last month, I picked up a video game for my boyfriend's friend birthday. I gave it to him and the friend thanked me. However, when we got back home, my boyfriend said it was a bad gift and his friend was just being polite, as the game I had got him wasn't the kind that the friend played. I told him that I had tried my best to get him something I knew he would like, and as he played similar games, I asked my brother, after my boyfriend was no help, who also plays video games as I don't what I should get for him. I told my boyfriend that I wouldn't be responsible for getting gifts for his family/friends for the future and that he now had to get them himself as I was quite offended after I had made the effort to get his friend a gift, and then he was critizing me.

Today was my boyfriend's niece's birthday. We turned up and I wished her happy birthday. My boyfriend hadn't gotten her a gift. I might be TA here, as I knew my boyfriend had not gotten her a gift, but I refused to get one for her as it was not my responsibility anymore. After that party, my boyfriend blew up on me for not getting his niece a gift and ruining her birthday. I told him I had warned him about not getting her a gift, and had also reminded him about her upcoming party so he would be prepared. He said he still expected me to handle it, as it was a girl's gift and he wouldn't know what to get her. He is not apologising to me and genuinely feels like I am in the wrong here.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Creature posted:

Roaming around the garden examining bugs, guaranteed to have no educations value, and definitely nothing to do with science. (I know the STEM "branding" can get overwhelming, and stuff like cool science toys should be given because they fit the kid's interests, not just because "STEM! They'll be so smart!!!")

Barudak posted:

And they say he turned 2 tabs and a handful of pills into enough to last for an entire rave.

That's 2000's Jesus right there, turning regular blotter paper into acid, and press pills that are 99% Aspirin and 1% meth into pure Molly.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Creature posted:

100%. For really young kids like toddlers, almost everything is new and exciting and fascinating. After that, they've developed their own taste and unless they're into STEM stuff, they're going to be totally uninterested.

I was a kid who was into STEM stuff well into my teens and anything science or nature was super cool to me. But most of the other kids at school would have hated it because they just weren't into it. You can't force that stuff on kids after a certain age.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cowslips Warren posted:

i don't remember which goon got giant Olaf in SASS but i remember them posting they screamed because he barely fit in the box, so once they cut the packing tape off, the box top broke open like a jack in the box and HERE'S OLAF.
I had to GIS Olaf, but :same:

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not getting my boyfriend's niece a gift?

:sever:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

wheatpuppy posted:

I read this a couple times as "my nephew (40m)" and was like, yeah a middle-aged guy might like some Pumas or something.

I read it that way too, and was thinking, "This bloke is old enough to have a 40 year old nephew, yet has a 35 year old girlfriend?"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

BrigadierSensible posted:

I read it that way too, and was thinking, "This bloke is old enough to have a 40 year old nephew, yet has a 35 year old girlfriend?"

I have a (half) nephew who's a couple years older than me!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

reignonyourparade posted:

"my Corky" was very much weird

What do you call jokes on your planet

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Elviscat posted:

I have a (half) nephew who's a couple years older than me!

Come say hello to your tiny uncles!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

I've met somebody who made this claim except it was a specific age in the late 20s rather than 30.

He was also the most flamboyantly dressed man in day-to-day life and it was real surprising to hear him open up about MRA type stuff and how men aren't real men anymore.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
From AAM:

quote:

I recently started my first “real” job in a small office (eight people). We have strategy meetings every morning for about 30-45 minutes. My boss is REALLY intolerant of bad ideas. She keeps a tape dispenser on the table by her chair and whenever someone suggests something that she thinks is dumb, she will peel off a piece of masking tape and pass it to them, at which point they are required to put it over their mouths so they cannot contribute any more “bad” ideas for the rest of the meeting.

Needless to say, the first time I saw this, I was shocked! But my coworkers don’t seem too bothered by it. Or maybe they just don’t want to complain, I’m not sure. My boss can be kinda scary.

My issue with this is that enforcement of the rule seems arbitrary. It depends entirely on her mood. Some days, no one will “get taped,” but other days, if she is feeling particularly sour most of us, if not everyone, will end up “taped” and the meeting is just her dictating to us!

Is this normal? I’m thinking not. But does that make it inherently bad? Is there something I should do? Other than this idiosyncrasy, it is mostly a great job and she is, for the most part, a good boss.

Update:

quote:

Hello everyone. I am the person who made the original post regarding my boss’ tendency to cover people’s mouths with tape during meetings. I wanted to first clarify a few things that people discussed in the comment section on here because I did not get a chance to respond directly to comments during the original posting:

1. A lot of people speculated that my boss hires people who are young and without much experience. That would be accurate. In our office we have 5 guys and 3 women and I’d say the average age (not counting my boss) is probably 23 or 24ish. So yeah, it’s a young office. That makes for quite a good office vibe most of the time, I have to say, and actually that is what first attracted me to the job. My boss makes it a point of pride to only hire new college grads with no paid work experience. She claims that she feels it is her duty as a small business owner to give experience and opportunities to young people entering the world of work and I really admired that. And maybe there is some truth in that to an extent, but from all the comments I received on here I have started to realize there are probably other (more insidious) reasons for her only hiring people straight out of college.

2. In response to the insightful comments that suggested I grow a beard, that is impossible. We have a fairly professional, conservative dress code which includes a clean shaven requirement for guys (you can have a mustache but no beard and I imagine that would look pretty dorky so no one does it). I am wondering now if this may be to facilitate the taping thing…? I’m starting to look at everything through a much more cynical lens all of a sudden, I must admit!

Anyway, with the background out of the way, now for the actual update!

Although many of you probably think so at this point, I’m not a total idiot. When literally hundreds of internet comments are saying “yikes” and telling me to quit, I’m not going to ignore that. I ruminated on it a lot and clearly, this is not normal and more importantly, not acceptable. I see that now. I told my boss last week that I intend to look for other opportunities. Unfortunately, she doesn’t want to let me go yet because she likes to do her hiring in May/June, but that is kind of a long time still. So we came to a compromise and she agreed to let me start looking for a new job after April 1. (Note from Alison: I received this update on February 25.) The good thing is she says even once I start job hunting, I can still stay on as long as I need until I receive an offer of employment, so long as I continue to work diligently. That’s good for me because, you know … student loan repayments.

So yeah, just a little while longer and I’ll be on to a new adventure, hopefully. And I can file this away as an amusing anecdote for the future! It’s kind of a shame because I do enjoy some of the people I work with but having thought about it more I can now see the whole thing is kind of demeaning in a few different ways.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

How nice of the boss to allow him to quit, eventually, at some point in time

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Amazing. A spine seems to be extant, but it's so rubbery and floppy.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

AITA for disciplining my daughter for crashing my car?

My perception of US driving instruction is "lax", mainly based on these forums and US media, but in Europe it's very normal for the accompanying adult to be legally seen as the driver. In which case, she could turn around and tell him he's going to jail for manslaughter, put on her sunglasses and walk away from the accident he (legally speaking) is responsible for

But I'm guessing that's not a thing (everywhere) in the US?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
What is it that makes every small business owner an absolute psycho

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

idiotsavant posted:

What is it that makes every small business owner an absolute psycho

Nobody else will put up with their poo poo, so eventually small business ownership is their only option.

Hope the comments on the update are screaming at the dude to never ever tell your boss you're looking for other jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
In addition to this, if someone is working as a manager or whatever for a large company, there's usually some kind of oversight in place (HR, corporate legal, etc) to watch over them and keep them in line, and they aren't hired in the first place if they're nuts. If they're the top of the organization with no oversight like in some of the small businesses we hear about in relationshipsland, it gives them carte blanche to do awful poo poo.