Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Kokomo, from the Beach Boys song, is not a real place. There is a Kokomo Indiana, but obviously the Beach Boys weren't singing about that.

My day is ruined!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Silver Falcon posted:

Kokomo, from the Beach Boys song, is not a real place. There is a Kokomo Indiana, but obviously the Beach Boys weren't singing about that.

My day is ruined!

I was so confused by this having been to kokomo indiana and seeing no kokomo in an atlas

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The phrase "parting shot" originates from a technique known as the Parthian Shot in ancient warfare where mounted archers would spin back 180 degrees to fire on their horses, instead of just being an idiom of its own creation.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

exquisite tea posted:

The phrase "parting shot" originates from a technique known as the Parthian Shot in ancient warfare where mounted archers would spin back 180 degrees to fire on their horses, instead of just being an idiom of its own creation.

wrong, its when you were in a duel but agreed to call it off so you could both preserve your honor, but then you went like "hah psych!" and tried to shoot at your opponent anyway. hence why a parting shot never hits

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
And here I thought it was from naval warfare, where there was big pressure to not simply run away from battle because it'd look like cowardice. So you'd get close enough to fire a shot that might theoretically hit if all the stars aligned, and then run away.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

And here I thought it was from naval warfare, where there was big pressure to not simply run away from battle because it'd look like cowardice. So you'd get close enough to fire a shot that might theoretically hit if all the stars aligned, and then run away.

no like this

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

This etymology is disputed. Some sources say "parting shot" was in use earlier, and it's a coincidence.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/parting-shot.html

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

exquisite tea posted:

Someone never read the outcasts of poker flats or played aoe2

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Hyperlynx posted:

This etymology is disputed. Some sources say "parting shot" was in use earlier, and it's a coincidence.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/parting-shot.html

okay well who's right

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Fagtastic posted:

okay well who's right

Dunno!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
A guy from Ockham (famous for his noive) would have something to say about it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

gesundheit, as they say in english

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

WIlliam of Ockham, on leaving a bar, would always have one last drink -- a shot of Jamaican rum. Hence, the parting shot.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the phrase relates to William Tell, who famously had to shoot an apple off his son's head. the crossbow bolt travelled so close to the kid's head that it messed up his hair, hence why "a parting shot" is used to denote something that comes too close for comfort

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the phrase relates to William Tell, who famously had to shoot an apple off his son's head. the crossbow bolt travelled so close to the kid's head that it messed up his hair, hence why "a parting shot" is used to denote something that comes too close for comfort

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I just learned: Do not put eggs in a microwave. At all. Ever. Even with water on top.

I have been doing that pretty regularly, and apparently have been risking getting loving maimed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdaKrT9x1Zc&t=320s

:nms: for burned/maimed people:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5T-TxCKmkY

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Seriouspost: King Ahasveros would regularly shoot his son, Bort. Then he'd sire a new one and also name him Bort. Thus, "a borting shot" from whence English, being a poo poo language, took "a parting shot". The preceding isn't true but it is as likely as the stupid-rear end "Parthian" etymology which was likely thought up by Bill Bryson or some other complete moron.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
THe word "shot" actually derives from the word "shed" as in the small building where arrows were stored. In time, the word for the storage building came to be applied to its contents, and then, to the act of using those contents. This isn't true either.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I SHEDDED AND FARDED.

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLjS3gzHetA
E: I just realized one of the best and most important sketch troupes was really bad at ending sketches

caspergers has a new favorite as of 13:24 on Jun 3, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
So now that I've read a dozen guesses about its origin, what does "parting shot" even mean in, like, a modern context?

I honestly feel like I've heard the phrase but never paid any attention to it. I'm guessing it has to do with shooting children with a bow and arrow, based on etymological guesswork.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

credburn posted:

So now that I've read a dozen guesses about its origin, what does "parting shot" even mean in, like, a modern context?

It means getting a last word in after the topic is being closed or as a person is leaving.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

credburn posted:

I honestly feel like I've heard the phrase but never paid any attention to it. I'm guessing it has to do with shooting children with a bow and arrow, based on etymological guesswork.

Getting the last word in

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

credburn posted:

It means a shot (retort) you make while (de)parting, pretty much "getting the last word in"

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He4UkEb2LBs

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

caspergers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLjS3gzHetA
E: I just realized one of the best and most important sketch troupes was really bad at ending sketches

It wasn't that they were bad at ending them, but they had gotten tired of the structure of punch line, blackout, on to the next thing, so that's where the free-flowing transitions came from. To be fair to your claim, this also allowed for sketches that had great beginnings and middles and would not have survived in the rigorous needs-an-ending format.

(One could even say that photographically those sketches did without a parting shot.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I just thought of "parping poo poo" and got sad I didn't think of it before.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Some people actually do get stomach pain when eating spicy food. Sometimes it even stings their buttholes when coming out the other end. I've never had either experience with spicy food so I guess I just assumed people were exaggerating to drive home how gnarly they think spicy food is, or perhaps playing on the whole stupid Mexican food = stomach problems trope. In my defense I never thought about it very hard until the other day when the waitress at a hot pot restaurant gave me the "white guy ordering the Szechuan broth" spiel and I conferred with my fellow diners.

on a related note maybe there really are people who get diarrhea every time they eat Taco Bell. hosed up if true.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

The Moon Monster posted:

on a related note maybe there really are people who get diarrhea every time they eat Taco Bell. hosed up if true.

I always thought this was also the "Mexican food = stomach problems" trope but apparently it can really happen from beans if you otherwise have almost no fiber in your diet.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Gut biomes can get hosed up by seeing things that are broadly unfamiliar; that can be foods that the body isn't used to digesting, specific compounds, or even specific local bacteria. When the gut gets upset the general response is to evacuate.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Went to a hot wing place with some friends one time, had a sauce on the menu called Black Mamba. Bragged about being the hottest sauce on the planet, 4.2 million Scoville units, I think it was pure capcaisin oil with some pureed scorpion peppers for flavour

There were six of us, so we got the half dozen. One of my friends chickened out, so I went for seconds. This is where things went wrong for me

Right up until 11 am the next day, I thought the whole "burning your rear end in a top hat on the way out" thing was a joke

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
After Covid I became much less tolerant of spicy food, it’s now painful in both my mouth and my gut. loving sucks.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

The Moon Monster posted:

"white guy ordering the Szechuan broth" spiel

I get this all the time and as annoying as it is, I get why they feel the need to do so. I'm sure there are a ton of white Karens of every gender ordering way beyond their spicy comfort level then complaining or leaving bad reviews.

Someday I will be served Thai food that is satisfactorily painful on its own. Until then, there is chili oil.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Last time I ordered a hotpot the spiciness went from 1 to 4 and all my friends wanted a 2. I have pretty high tolerance and decided 3 might be better.

I asked the waitress if it was a 3 on a Spanish scale or a Chinese scale, she said it was Chinese so I wisely stuck with 3.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

run on sentience posted:

I get this all the time and as annoying as it is, I get why they feel the need to do so. I'm sure there are a ton of white Karens of every gender ordering way beyond their spicy comfort level then complaining or leaving bad reviews.

Someday I will be served Thai food that is satisfactorily painful on its own. Until then, there is chili oil.

Yeah, it's annoying but I can't blame them since I'm sure they've had guys who look like me order something they can't handle and start shouting at them or demanding a refund or whatever. it wasn't even that hot

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We ordered Asian takeout at work one day and my Korean coworker warned me that the dish I was ordering was real spicy and I have white people palate and was going to hate it. So I get this dish and I'm expecting it to be actually spicy and have a kick and it was barely jalapeno levels of hot

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A Thai place near me has some genuinely gut melting spicy dishes and the menu has "Dishes marked as spicy in the menu are spicy. No refunds if its too strong for you" in three or four different places.

I've never gone beyond their medium spice dishes because I'm a gastronomic coward.

The service is also really unfriendly which is a plus.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 13:57 on Jun 5, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
People who think "spicy" means "hot as in scovilles" are useless.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You know what is worse than people complaining their food is too hot? People complaining their food isn't hot enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

People who think "spicy" means "hot as in scovilles" are useless.

Sometimes words have multiple common meanings, this is a weird thing to have trenchant opinion about.