Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Eh, my two cats don't molest the Lego, and with two adults and a kid building, it's kind of everywhere.

They will definitely drink water right from your glass and steal food from your plate though.

Edit: That's a hell of a snipe. Have a photo from the local indy.

I forget what the current price is, probably just moved the decimal over a couple spots, but that's an original still in shrinkwrap.

Alarbus fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ok I'll pay five bucks for it

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

HootTheOwl posted:

Ok I'll pay five bucks for it

I have that set at my dad's place and it's easily the lamest one from that era. I don't think I like any of the land Futuron stuff though, whereas the battrax is incredible

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

Whats under those censor bars? Unless you confirm it's something else, I'm gonna assume anime tiddy figures.

Also non-anime tiddy figures

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
My cats know not to touch my Lego and in return I throw the kitten a brick separator every once in a while

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Alarbus posted:

Eh, my two cats don't molest the Lego, and with two adults and a kid building, it's kind of everywhere.

They will definitely drink water right from your glass and steal food from your plate though.

I forget what the current price is, probably just moved the decimal over a couple spots, but that's an original still in shrinkwrap.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Alarbus posted:

Still in the shrinkwrap, huh?

:thunk:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Bedroom drawer is where I store extra parts from my sets.
making your bad dragon out of lego is ill-advised.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

making your bad dragon out of lego is ill-advised.

Behold! The Worse Dragon!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Still in the shrinkwrap, huh?

:thunk:

Yeah. The store knew the guy pretty well. That one has an original Clover price sticker, the one next to it is Jefferson Ward, I saw a Woolworth's one too. It's also clearly not modern shrinkwrap.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Slotkin noooooo
https://twitter.com/legodoumoko/status/1664787676153921536

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Alarbus posted:

Yeah. The store knew the guy pretty well. That one has an original Clover price sticker, the one next to it is Jefferson Ward, I saw a Woolworth's one too. It's also clearly not modern shrinkwrap.

LEGO never put those sets in shrink wrap. I think baseplates and some of thoese older board games had it. But back in the 80s? None. That, afaik, has never changed. Someone else put the shrink wrap on it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Alarbus posted:

Yeah we've never really had a problem with our cat either. If we're building on the floor in my daughter's room he might get in the way but anything on shelf or a table is fine.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Waltzing Along posted:

LEGO never put those sets in shrink wrap. I think baseplates and some of thoese older board games had it. But back in the 80s? None. That, afaik, has never changed. Someone else put the shrink wrap on it.

Given the price stickers, I'd assume the retailer did it. Maybe as an anti-theft measure?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

... yes.

This is just the living room. :(

Sorry for the non-Lego related content, but I just want to know where you got those Twilight Zone posters from! :v:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Guys will add an entire 14-stud building instead of going to therapy resizing the model to fit on a standard baseplate.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Guys will add an entire 14-stud building instead of going to therapy resizing the model to fit on a standard baseplate.

Yeah but it's way more interesting now!

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i just pulled my old childhood lego collection out of my parent's garage. i had a very lame (and filthy) collection of bricks. im pretty sure this was just all hand me down poo poo from garage sales

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That added context is key to a great diorama or model. Something that makes someone point and go, "ohhh, that's where I fell over" or similar.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Holy crap...

The Metropolitan club

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This rules

Before it was just a generic station on the Sydney track

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Wow that art deco absolutely pops

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
This guy's work is so rad but he has the most unfortunate name

Check out his 70's conversation pit

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52656812@N04/51837498522/in/dateposted/

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

Oh... no... poor guy

Yeah this rules

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co4rRptTdQI

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Carbohydrates posted:

Check out his 70's conversation pit

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52656812@N04/51837498522/in/dateposted/
It's the same guy, he's had a lot of free time lately.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

ivantod posted:

Sorry for the non-Lego related content, but I just want to know where you got those Twilight Zone posters from! :v:

Brief Twilight Zone sidetrack:

The posters are from a guy named Tom Whalen -- there's another four not pictured in those original images.

They were commissioned by CBS a few years ago through a company called Dark Hall Mansion, but beyond putting out an initial press release about them, DHM never promoted them anywhere else so they didn't particularly sell. There were supposed to be more posters for iconic episodes but given that these ones bombed, they were never made, so we've just got the run of these current ones. You can find them in color, in black and white, or in black and white printed on chrome paper -- I collected all the B&W ones, and have bought chrome ones when they popped up, but they're increasingly rare since they made roughly ten of them per design, and the people that have them don't want to give them up. If you search 'Tom Whalen Twilight Zone' on eBay, there's usually a handful of listings you can chase down and try to get. Some of them pop up more frequently than others -- It's A Good Life seems to pop up the most -- but others are almost impossible to find. It took me six years of once-a-month looking to finally get the Invaders poster, it seems to be the most rare one to come by. But it is possible! Just keep an eye out on eBay and shag whichever ones come up for sale, and if you see a chrome listing one pop up and you get in an ugly bidding war, I'm the other fat nerd bidding against you. :v:

To keep it Lego related -- my little town, and my street signs, are Twilight Zone too:

(You can see how dusty the street is in a couple of the photos -- good thing today is Saturday, and this is the week the whole thing gets deep dusted again)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Brief Twilight Zone sidetrack:

The posters are from a guy named Tom Whalen -- there's another four not pictured in those original images.

They were commissioned by CBS a few years ago through a company called Dark Hall Mansion, but beyond putting out an initial press release about them, DHM never promoted them anywhere else so they didn't particularly sell. There were supposed to be more posters for iconic episodes but given that these ones bombed, they were never made, so we've just got the run of these current ones. You can find them in color, in black and white, or in black and white printed on chrome paper -- I collected all the B&W ones, and have bought chrome ones when they popped up, but they're increasingly rare since they made roughly ten of them per design, and the people that have them don't want to give them up. If you search 'Tom Whalen Twilight Zone' on eBay, there's usually a handful of listings you can chase down and try to get. Some of them pop up more frequently than others -- It's A Good Life seems to pop up the most -- but others are almost impossible to find. It took me six years of once-a-month looking to finally get the Invaders poster, it seems to be the most rare one to come by. But it is possible! Just keep an eye out on eBay and shag whichever ones come up for sale, and if you see a chrome listing one pop up and you get in an ugly bidding war, I'm the other fat nerd bidding against you. :v:

To keep it Lego related -- my little town, and my street signs, are Twilight Zone too:

(You can see how dusty the street is in a couple of the photos -- good thing today is Saturday, and this is the week the whole thing gets deep dusted again)

Tom Whalen’s stuff is so good. I’d recommend following his Instagram if you’re still searching for stuff, every once in a while he’ll do a “Shop Finds” claim sale or sell off some Artist Proofs, and I’ve seen his TZ in those sales before.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Picture, if you will, a street on a shelf covered with dust, a place where time has no meaning and imagination is the only mortar needed for the bricks of the mind. Welcome to the corner of Maple and Cayuga, here, in the Twilight Zone.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Hmm I heard the monsters are coming to Maple Street.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh my god, I love it.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

While I'm moving stuff around to dust, might as well show you guys what I've been working on lately. The oldest of the modulars have pretty disappointing interiors -- Lego hadn't figured out what to do with the theme so the interiors are a lot more sparse than modern ones. I've been gutting the interiors of the old ones and putting in better insides. The most recent one I've finished is the Grand Emporium.

Ground floor is the most basic, just standardized all the shelves and tables with the ones I'm using in the rest of the building. I also added a little clothing rack along the right side wall beneath the pants display, so now there's a little shelf of jeans there.

Second floor is now a coffee shop and housewares (cups and plates). The little coffee booth was reverse engineered from a guy on Eurobricks that did something similar a few years ago, and it looks really good in-person.

Top floor is now entirely toys on the standardized shelves. There's nothing amazing here, but it fills the space a lot better, so I'm pretty happy with it.

The next big project is gutting the interior of the Palace Cinema and redoing it, but I need to save up a few bucks before I go in on that.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Until then just pull out all the seats and add concrete gray tiles until you remodel

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Sunk Dunk posted:

i just pulled my old childhood lego collection out of my parent's garage. i had a very lame (and filthy) collection of bricks. im pretty sure this was just all hand me down poo poo from garage sales

*blowing whistle* Sir I see a k’nex piece in there! Sir!

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Space Jam posted:

*blowing whistle* Sir I see a k’nex piece in there! Sir!

I see some Zaks!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Throw it all out, this batch is contaminated.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I picked up the new Ninjago flagship mech. The smaller mech can be connected to the bigger one as it were one of those baby carriers you can strap to your chest :3:.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i just finished making this

and dang thats a pretty good knockoff build. decent number of spares (even two that confused me because they aren't the regular 1x1 spares). looks good, satisfying build. legs are technically repetitive but not bad by any means. i think the shell could've been done slightly better but it still looks good and the legs are great and make it all pop. the whip elements could look a little better but its an inspired touch

the unfortunate thing is that the little korok mini build seems slightly illegal

whatever you call those 1x1 L-shaped plates do not apparently fit together on the underside of a 2x1 plate. i have not tried this on the actual lego system so i dont know if this is a molding issue or an actual illegal tech. i did also have to shave the inside of one of those cones in order to get a claw element to fit inside, but there are two spare cones that came with the set so i probably couldve just tossed it.

other upsides are that the bags are numbered and the instructions follow the numbered bags. another knockoff set i had more or less had you dump everything out at once cause it pulled from everything all the time. not the biggest issue but it makes everyhting a little cleaner

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

oh the other thing is that the amazon picture is misleading. there are no 'shiny' or 'reflective' bricks in this build. the whips et al are just straight up lies in that pic. not sure why, still looks fine - i guess it couldve looked better with a metallic gold but its weird to lie about.

still, 30 bucks for this build? sure, why not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

the unfortunate thing is that the little korok mini build seems slightly illegal

whatever you call those 1x1 L-shaped plates do not apparently fit together on the underside of a 2x1 plate. i have not tried this on the actual lego system so i dont know if this is a molding issue or an actual illegal tech. i did also have to shave the inside of one of those cones in order to get a claw element to fit inside, but there are two spare cones that came with the set so i probably couldve just tossed it.

Fairly certain that happens with official Lego stuff too.