Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

404notfound posted:

It's a giant thunderstorm covering a significant fraction of the sky. You can bet your rear end people are going to dive straight into it and poke around for something meaningful

Yeah I also did this part early yesterday for the same reason. Also not sure how other people did it, but there's a sky island southeast of the big starting island that you can reach by plane from the island where Link woke up at the start of the game, which has materials for making a plane with a lot of batteries, fans, rockets etc. It's part of one of the shrine crystal quests. Without adding anything extra to it, you can make a plane there and fly from that island straight to Dragonhead isle. Not sure if you can do it with the starting amount of battery without eating a lot of zonai charges though. I found that island very early on and marked it on the map, though it didn't occur to me to try to fly from there into the storm cloud until the second time I went there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Actual genius

https://youtu.be/Mlr41gH6Khk

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The control scheme is pretty bad. To the point where like, setting up which angle to run-up for a jump is annoying. I ordered an 8bitdo because on the Pro Controller you can't even walk in a straight line, it's always either slightly left or right(??).

Sages teleporting inside you because otherwise you couldn't use their abilities is the biggest one for me. They're just really intrusive because the controls necessitate it.

Edit: they are also all partially invisible so the game goes to poo poo whenever they do that near the camera, like with any transparent object.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 3, 2023

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Combat kinda sucks. The fights aren’t interesting enough for things to have this many hit points. Throwing down a puffshroom makes it even more boring, but I have places to be! Whaling on a lovely silver moblin for a few minutes just doesn’t feel satisfying. Even booping’ boko snouts in bullet time just feels bad on the silver tier enemies.

Lynels and Gleeoks are better, but there’s too many of them to stay fresh for much longer.

I think this could be improved with:

- more style variation than just 1hd/2hd/spear/bow
- Lower non-boss hit points
- Tune down the armor a smidge
- Make the companions more useful in-combat
- more individual monster weaknesses (item or “headshot”)

Maybe this is my inner completionist who wants to check off as many side quests as possible, but 90% of the combat just feels like it isn’t designed to be engaged with this many hours into the game.

The exploration is still more than enough to make up for it (5 shrines left!), but like BotW I’m not sure I will ever want to replay this. (Unlike Mario Odyssey or Dread or the Witcher). This is a weakness of the open world genre in general though. The core gameplay without exploration is rarely compelling enough to pull me back when new games are constantly coming out.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I spent a long time wishing I could flip B and X. It didn’t even occur to me they would let you remap buttons. By the time I found the setting I was used to it enough I didn’t want to learn the controls a second time lol

Agree that I still accidentally throw my weapon far too often and only seem to activate sage abilities when I don’t want to.

Putting sages on a radial menu like ultra hand etc seems so obvious. I dunno how you improve the other stuff, there’s so many actions it’s always going to feel busy and you just gotta get used to it I guess.

Game owns so hard though that any complaints are very minor overall

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

MrQueasy posted:

Combat kinda sucks. The fights aren’t interesting enough for things to have this many hit points. Throwing down a puffshroom makes it even more boring, but I have places to be! Whaling on a lovely silver moblin for a few minutes just doesn’t feel satisfying. Even booping’ boko snouts in bullet time just feels bad on the silver tier enemies.

Lynels and Gleeoks are better, but there’s too many of them to stay fresh for much longer.

Maybe this is my inner completionist who wants to check off as many side quests as possible, but 90% of the combat just feels like it isn’t designed to be engaged with this many hours into the game.

The exploration is still more than enough to make up for it (5 shrines left!), but like BotW I’m not sure I will ever want to replay this. (Unlike Mario Odyssey or Dread or the Witcher). This is a weakness of the open world genre in general though. The core gameplay without exploration is rarely compelling enough to pull me back when new games are constantly coming out.

I agree with this. in BoTW the combat was fun early on but pretty quickly it becomes not worth it cause you just lose gear doing the fights and don't get anything good back. In ToTK it's not so bad losing gear but it's like why bother with these fights, esp when they're just a slog and I could easily teleport away.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It taking several minutes to fight a silver moblin doesn't match my experience.

Anyway, cool point about dragon parts:

https://youtu.be/BF2cP0rkOfU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Grey Cat posted:

It was annoying in the first one, and it's annoying now years later. The four face buttons at minimum should all be mappable so you can sprint and jump without clawing the controller.

Yeah, that's the silliest bit -- the run and jump buttons should be next to eachother at the very least, so you can hold run and hit jump with the other part of your thumb. Baffling that they let you change them but hardlock it to the top and bottom buttons.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Fangz posted:

It taking several minutes to fight a silver moblin doesn't match my experience.

Yeah you can tear through Silvers pretty easily with an attack buff and a good monster part like a Stalnox Horn or whatever.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Get a flurry rush with a good flurry rush up weapon and you can really melt HP bars. Nothing's as good as sneakstrikes though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Also blast them with ice and/or charged up attacks and/or weapon bonuses to multiply damage.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

MrQueasy posted:

I got really pissed off this morning because the combat is broken in large assaults. So I'm saving as I go through, you know, as you do. And then I die. Not a big a deal. I have a recent save.

Except the game will save your item usage but not your progress against the monsters.

I really feel like this game could have used more polish in that regard.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I think it’s intentional. If you build or move some poo poo and then save because you’re not sure you insane maneuver will work, often it will all be undone after a reload. They seem to want to avoid save scumming.

Edit: unrelated, last night literally as I was killing the last monster in a cave, a blood moon popped and respawned the entire loving place on my head lol. I was mad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah it looks like if you manually save and load somewhere the game doesn't like, it'll roll you back along the Hero's Path till you're at a place it considers safe. Relatively standard practice, but its idea of safe is flawed! The game has auto saved with arrows in mid flight at me.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Macaluso posted:

I mean it's pretty loving absurd that for a game released in 2023, the only buttons I can remap are dash and jump, and all I can do is swap them. I loving hate crouch being on the left stick. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally started to throw my weapon (most of the time I catch it but sometimes, off it goes), how many times I've accidentally hit the whistle button, etc. I gently caress up switching my hand abilities all the time. I absolutely hate so many of the button choices, the crouch one being my least favorite, and it's insane you can't change them.

I also wish I could toggle it so I could hit a button to latch on to the wall because I hate when I'm running from something or whatever and Link just latches on to the wall like he's Spiderman

but.. but.. Button remapping would ruin Eiji Aonuma-sama's vision of the game!

quote:

On the lack of button remapping in Breath of the Wild

Aonuma: When we have a button arrangement, we very much put thought into how we do it, because there’s a specific way we want players to feel. In some ways, if we freely let players do customizations on key assignments and such, I feel like we’re letting go of our responsibility as a developer by just kind of handing everything over to the users. We have something in mind for everybody when we play the game, so that’s what we hope players experience and enjoy as well. But we understand also that players have a desire for free customization.

https://kotaku.com/breath-of-the-wild-is-getting-a-sequel-because-the-team-1835624233

The interviewer mentions that it would be useful for disabled gamers but it looks like they decided that their vision was more important than ease of use for TotK.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 3, 2023

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

This may have started way earlier in life when I was first cutting grass for money in OoT, and was fully made a problem in Skyward Sword with the Gust Bellows Sand Room, but these Zelda games have a habit of giving you

1: A room full of an obstacle that
2: Can be cleared from view/obstructing your path through a room, using
3: An ability with a cooldown or slow effective use-rate, but
4: It gives you some small little rewards for the act of cleaning up the obstacles.

I thought it was going to be the sand dunes in the desert, but nope! The Sages and I are clearing out some rocks. This room is so cluttered with all these easily-explosive rocks in the way, and look! Every now and then they have a percent chance to drop a gemstone! I'm not wasting my time, I'm gathering resources! :shepface:

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

completed all the memories and the thing you very obviously are supposed to do after the memories (i stumbled on it earlier but waited until the game pointed me to it)

man, being zelda in these games just sucks, huh. her 100-year-long ganon fight in the original was bad enough, now she's lived since time immemorial for the sole purpose of regenerating the master sword enough for this moment. someone give this poor woman a break. on the other hand i think she's got much more interesting stuff going on here than she did in BOTW, even if the memory structure still bars her from showing up until (i presume) the end, which is frustrating

the last tear cutscene was very good but ending it with the silent princess all around that tear is a very funny joke to me. fine, nintendo, make me admit i care more about randomly collecting items than preserving the vibes of this moment

the champion's leathers let you do the master sword beam without being at full health, which i feel like a lot of people haven't noticed yet given that it's usually described as having no effect. it's a USELESS effect but it's there!

i really like the master sword fusion visuals, which keep the iconic look without totally breaking away from the "this is a game where you stick fish on sticks and fight people with them" energy everything else has

tangentially related to the above, what's the "intended" way for you to fight gloom hands? they die to triple gibdo bones same as anything else but i was wondering if there's a melee strat i'm just not seeing

Valentin fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 3, 2023

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Mine rocks using the zonai cannon.

For meleeing hands, people have used long weapons with ice abilities to freeze them. Apparently you can also flurry rush them if you have skillz.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lol the latest old map led me blind and unprepared straight into the depths King Geelock version, which instantly jolted me from lazy run to point grab armor mode to toughest boss in the game so far buckle the gently caress down kid mode. The organic exploration in this game is just :allears:

Valentin posted:

i really like the master sword fusion visuals, which keep the iconic look without totally breaking away from the "this is a game where you stick fish on sticks and fight people with them" energy everything else has

Yeah it's really nice and I only wish that the other iconic weapons you can pick up like the Fierce Deity sword/Sword of the Winds/etc worked similarly instead of immediately losing their look once you slap something on to it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sydin posted:

lol the latest old map led me blind and unprepared straight into the depths King Geelock version, which instantly jolted me from lazy run to point grab armor mode to toughest boss in the game so far buckle the gently caress down kid mode. The organic exploration in this game is just :allears:

Yeah it's really nice and I only wish that the other iconic weapons you can pick up like the Fierce Deity sword/Sword of the Winds/etc worked similarly instead of immediately losing their look once you slap something on to it.

I'm just glad that I can buy them for trivial prices once I unlock them. The Biggoron Sword has what has to be best in game durability and top 5 base damage. Hits like a truck, 2hand moveset, and lasts forever, it's been my boss killer for awhile

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I don't like mining with explosives because the output tends to fly everywhere. Luckily it's not really a problem with a dedicated weapon for single nodes and my boy for the big clumps.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fangz posted:

It's kinda pointless yeah - especially since you can just make hoverbikes and they don't decay. I guess they didn't want you to glide off the starting islands?

The only thing I use wings for is making bridges when there isn't plywood around. They need a huge buff to be any fun.

Also is there a proper Zonai boat part? It's kind of lame since none of them float it seems like the only way to make a boat is with boards which looks lame.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I think it's stuffed with a lot of pointless content. Out of ~140ish side quests, maybe 10 contribute to the story or fill out the world. The rest feel like MMO filler quests and the rewards aren't useful or interesting.

It probably works well for the kind of Gamers™ who only play one or two games a year. Like the kind of people who only play Bethesda games and nothing else.

"Wow, after duping everything, pirating the game and running mods this game is borinnnggggggg!". Maybe play it as intended and then give an opinion. But not every game is for everyone.

*Dupes 50000 diamonds*. Wow this game economy sucks!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ironically, the wings work well in a pinch, but it doesnt seem like the Zonai were a very nautical sort of people, better off saving something using the actual boat frames on that one island if boards and logs and going full Yiga isnt doing it for you

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Verdugo posted:

"Wow, after duping everything, pirating the game and running mods this game is borinnnggggggg!". Maybe play it as intended and then give an opinion. But not every game is for everyone.

Why did you put download sharing in there, what's that got to do with your point lol

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Everyone knows goats can't swim

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

Flying machines blinking green and falling apart after going any distance has to be some of the worst anti-fun bullshit. The distance is so short too.

I mean I kind of get it. They want some of the flying islands to be puzzles in themselves and a glider could basically go wherever since it can coast while you recharge and the floating blocks absolutely would be trivial, to go anywhere, even if it'd take awhile.

Carts and Sleds having that same restriction though? why?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Khanstant posted:

Why did you put download sharing in there, what's that got to do with your point lol

There is probably a Polygon think piece about missing out on the emotional investment of spending $70 on a game

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I also want Zelda to have a more active role in the next game, or dare I say we could play as Zelda and save Link from his 100 year slumber fighting Ganon? Not even joking.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Verdugo posted:

This is honestly sad.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

mycot posted:

There is probably a Polygon think piece about missing out on the emotional investment of spending $70 on a game

It's your money and time to waste?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

New DLC should just be Unlimited Batteries = $9.99.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Verdugo posted:

I actually agree with this post.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I have played at most two hours a day since launch, most days less than that. I have found that I’m not getting burned out at all as a result. Would suggest.

I’ve been muddling through some of the hateno village side quests. Right now my main objective is to find a place to make a Pizza.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

lordfrikk posted:

I also want Zelda to have a more active role in the next game, or dare I say we could play as Zelda and save Link from his 100 year slumber fighting Ganon? Not even joking.

If they change the PC it should be Ganon, imho.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

Zelda can be the protagonist of a Hyrule Management Sim a la Reigns where you manage the kingdom's resources and settle its disputes to build up in preparation for Ganon's imminent return. If you want to go a little more Crusader Kings with it you can have Link & Company as special units you can move around the map to fight Moblin uprisings or whatever.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

Outpost22 posted:

If they change the PC it should be Ganon, imho.

Zelda: GTAV of the Wild, in which you can seamlessly swap to each triforce bearer across the botw hyrule as they conspire to bring an end to the cycle of reincarnation once and for all

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Zelda Megathread has been 14 years of “maybe Zelda will be playable in this one!” Which has come true for the Hyrule Warriors games I guess.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
upgrading armour seems way harder/more expensive in this game than botw but it could just be my imagination. just the amount/what items are needed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Jose posted:

upgrading armour seems way harder/more expensive in this game than botw but it could just be my imagination. just the amount/what items are needed

You telling me you don't enjoy killing 100 frox's to upgrade Depths Armor?