Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Some extremely excellent black metal showed up today, I am very psyched for this one. I've been listening to this album for almost 15 years lol. Great artwork too.

(It also came with what appears to be a size M child's t-shirt which.......isn't going to fit me)

Also the records themselves are both clear blue which is dope as hell.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
This isn't really vinyl-related, but I just wanted to share this nice memory with the thread:

I'm a big Aphex Twin fan, while my partner...well, isn't. He thinks Ambient Works is decent and whatnot, but starts checking out as soon as it gets too, uh, "glitchy" (even, say, Windowlicker).

We were at a nerd convention this weekend and were returning to the hotel at 11 PM, both fairly drunk. I start playing Alberto Balsalm on my phone, and the next thing I know, we're both drunkenly bopping down the sidewalk like a pair of cartoon characters. :kiddo: We're both fairly reserved in public, so having a rare moment of "gently caress it" is going to be a favorite memory of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZVZgCrHy5E

Anyway, I bring this up to discuss: do y'all have any songs that give you positive vibes/feelings, even if a lot of others find it "upsetting" or "creepy"? I'm not referring to memories associated with the song ("This is a super upbeat techno song, but it was my dead cousin's favorite so it makes me sad"), I just mean pure "feeling".

Like, I think Alberto Balsalm is so goddamn pretty and almost uplifting-sounding? :shrug: Meanwhile, I always see comments like "IF I HEARD THIS AT 3 AM, I WOULD poo poo MYSELF". Similarly, mallsoft and similar types of vaporwave apparently freak a lot of people out (I think it's due The Backrooms videos?), whereas I find them so relaxing and comforting. :ohdear:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

:hellyeah: The Richard D. James album is what kicked off me teaching myself how to write music on a computer.

Read After Burning posted:

do y'all have any songs that give you positive vibes/feelings, even if a lot of others find it "upsetting" or "creepy"?
This is the only kind of music I listen to lol

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

haljordan posted:

Some extremely excellent black metal showed up today, I am very psyched for this one. I've been listening to this album for almost 15 years lol. Great artwork too.

(It also came with what appears to be a size M child's t-shirt which.......isn't going to fit me)

:bisonyes:

Their first....4 records are so loving good. Celestite is fine, but I've been pretty meh on the last two they put out, which is a shame because everything from "Diadem of 12 Stars" to "Celestial Lineage" is just :discourse:

E: had to check my discogs because I couldn't remember if I actually had any of them on vinyl. I have "Two Hunters" :black101:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Wolves in the Throne Room had a pretty good show last I saw them like...7-8 years ago?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

The drummer is just out of this world incredible

Also if anyone ITT has a young child who enjoys metal let me know and I will mail you this shirt lol

haljordan fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 2, 2023

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I know this is the vinyl thread, but is there a CDs thread? I've been kinda rediscovering CDs lately and I've acquired a bunch of good ones.

To contribute to the thread topic proper, here are a couple records I've also acquired recently:

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
CDs still rule because if you do it right they’re insanely cheap and still good quality. I won’t really buy anything new on cd at this point but I’ll happily go through used and clearance sections of places to buy more physical media that will surely kill me one day.

Vinyl Me Please started a rock track option in addition to their essential one. Nothing really jumped out to me (they showed the first six albums they’ll do) but they are pressing Is This It by the Strokes with both New York City Cops and When It Started on it which seems to be a first time happening. My true hope is that doing a more traditional rock track will let them do some more weird things with a bit more frequency.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I’m a CD-still-buyer, and would love that topic. I’m probably going to preorder a CD that’s coming out in like two weeks, because I save vinyl for only my favorite releases, exclusive, and pre-80s stuff. I love picking up like 15 CDs for like $40 at the record store.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I used to have a Ford Escape with a 6 CD changer in the dash and like, 2 weeks after I traded it in for my next car I realized I left it full of CDs. I hope whoever bought it enjoys Every Time I Die and Dinosaur Jr!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

There's never been a better time to acquire CDs if you like to garage sale. Everyone has a box of them they want to get rid of. Unfortunately all the people with the best taste in music sell them in CD wallets without cases.

My local Goodwill is $2-$4 on all CDs, so I never even look at them.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I left a pretty good bob dylan bootleg in the cd player of a boat. It was pretty expensive, wish I still had it

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

BigFactory posted:

I left a pretty good bob dylan bootleg in the cd player of a boat. It was pretty expensive, wish I still had it

I've never seen Dylan live but I read a quote from someone once that went something like "Seeing him live is either the greatest show you've ever seen or the worst, there's no middle ground" lol

haljordan fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 3, 2023

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

haljordan posted:

I've never seen Dylan live but I read a quote from someone once that went something like "Seeing him live is either the greatest show you've ever seen or the worst, there's no middle ground" lol

Ive seen bad dylan shows but not many, and even those were just kinda boring. All of his shows on this current tour are amazing so everyone should go. Peak of his powers.

But this was a bootleg of a famous radio interview from 62/63 which is easy to get online now but back then wasn’t really.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Ive seen bad dylan shows but not many, and even those were just kinda boring. All of his shows on this current tour are amazing so everyone should go. Peak of his powers.

But this was a bootleg of a famous radio interview from 62/63 which is easy to get online now but back then wasn’t really.

This remains one of the most fascinating Wikipedia pages I've ever read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elect...of%20the%20set.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If be happy with $2-4 CDs at Goodwill, if they weren’t the usual Christmas and Now music compilations I always see.

Incidentally, we just came home from one now. I got a lot of books for my kid, but also a single CD (at $1). One I wanted, so I consider that a success. The Gathering’s “Nighttime Birds”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnkEXwu2ZdA

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I’ve been slowly going through the 90s bowie box set over the past month and side 4 of Outside is heavy duty stuff. The sequencing of that album makes the transition to LP really well.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I collect early pressings of CDs and mainly go for rock, metal and 80s. Anything released before the loudness war ramped up should sound good. I'd say 1994 or so, if you're not sure just look for SID codes.. I especially look out for CDs made in Japan or West Germany for the US market.

Thrift stores were amazing a few years ago, but there's more people looking now. I can still regularly stumble upon a stack of good stuff. I just found a nice hair band dump last week.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I used to do pretty well in CDs, I just don't as much anymore. Though I did find a Chick Corea CD for a buck at a church sale recently I have yet to listen to. Admittedly John Patituci being on it was a bigger selling point. Should do a shoot out with it, Weather Report, and Victor Wooten.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I let out a rather audible "Oh gently caress yeah" when I saw this one in the store today (Alkaline Trio/Hot Water Music split EP):

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Boinks posted:

I collect early pressings of CDs and mainly go for rock, metal and 80s. Anything released before the loudness war ramped up should sound good. I'd say 1994 or so, if you're not sure just look for SID codes.. I especially look out for CDs made in Japan or West Germany for the US market.

Thrift stores were amazing a few years ago, but there's more people looking now. I can still regularly stumble upon a stack of good stuff. I just found a nice hair band dump last week.

A few months ago, the local library not only decided to cut back on their CD holdings, but only requested a donation in any amount to take it off their hands. Managed to pick up Songs in the Key of Life, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, We Can't Dance, a two-disc Dusty Springfield compilation, a best of Dave Brubeck, a Paul Simon album and a couple of other smaller things.

I prefer having a physical copy of my music. I prefer vinyl, but if a CD is cheaper, the CD it's going to be.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

haljordan posted:

I have seen him live twice now and the first time was absolute trash (festival) and the second time it was like a religious experience (Love & Theft tour)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Happy Hippo posted:

I have seen him live twice now and the first time was absolute trash (festival) and the second time it was like a religious experience (Love & Theft tour)

If you haven’t seen him in 20 years you should absolutely catch him again now. Portugal, Spain, southern France this summer, probably back to the states for fall/winter

Edit: not for nothing, the dylan album that came out yesterday is absolutely worth listening to for even causal fans. It’s an in-studio faux live album with really slick arrangements of songs from the first half of his career (meaning up to 1989).

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 4, 2023

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Picked these up from a local record show yesterday. None of them were screaming good deals or anything but I'm pretty happy with what I picked up.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Looks like this is the new devo release that was teased a couple months ago. Not Hardcore Vol 3, but essentially it could be called that.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Bring on a new box set! :yeshaha:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

caligulamprey posted:

Bring on a new box set! :yeshaha:

quote:

During Wednesday’s (June 7) interview, Brooks explained how the record was actually created as a compilation of songs from five of Gaines' fictional records. Twenty-four years later, Brooks says he's still determined to bring those conceptual albums to life.

“The five albums have to come out,” he told the audience.

I've been waiting for this for over twenty years :cawg:

And we already know what the covers will be, they were made for the "Greatest Hits" CD. I scanned the entire booklet because there is nothing not funny about any of it, and I say that as a fan of both Garth and this stupid album

Spoilering the rest

pwn fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 8, 2023

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I demand a copy of Fornucopia immediately.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

This would make a sick enamel pin.

edit:

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 9, 2023

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Cross postin' from the punk thread

Hot Diggity! posted:

pg. 99 has Document #8 and Singles getting repressed

https://persistentvisionrecords.com/

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

S l u d g e M e t a l

haljordan fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 10, 2023

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Thou owns.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

The insert booklet has some extremely sick artwork.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

haljordan posted:

The insert booklet has some extremely sick artwork.

That is some :black101: album art.

I just ordered the first Blackbraid album on vinyl this morning because of a god drat Instagram ad. I'm actually happy about it because that album is great and I wanted it on vinyl, but also gently caress You Zuck, filling my ads with metal records I want and can't afford :argh:

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."
I was FINALLY the first person at the yard sale; I'm never the first person at the yard sale.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Good haul. Were they priced reasonably

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

BigFactory posted:

Good haul. Were they priced reasonably
Two bucks each. They’re in good shape, too.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

New mix is out for June. Some new poo poo. Some old poo poo. A friend of mine sent me a copy of their "new" record so I tried to base the mix on that.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-45-w-pete-moss/

quote:

1. GOAT - Disco Fever
2. Run The Jewels - JU$T (Toy Selectah's Version)
3. Beastie Boys - Drunken Praying Mantis Style
4. KOKOKO! - Malembe
5. Francis Bebey - Forrest Nativity
6. Ray Barretto - Acid
7. Groupo 2000 De Tarapoto - Samba Verde
8. Phil Hesh - Bong John Silver
9. Sparkle Division - Oh Henry!
10. Miles Davis - In a Silent Way
11. Ella Fitzgerald - Gone with the Wind
12. Ween - The Goin' Gets Tough From The Getgo
13. Orfeon Gagarin - Salmos Funiculares (11)

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Finally got my reasonably priced copy of Deafheaven - Sunbather in the mail today. I was pretty upset that they did a 10th anniversary Sunbather show and didn't bring any vinyl, but found a shop half the country away that had a copy for $55, which is nicer than the $70au and $60ay shipping from the official US store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Paypal Pay in Four is a gift and a curse. :getin: