Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I am the nerdiest of nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Did anyone here play the PS2 game Star Trek: Shattered Universe? It's about Sulu and the Excelsior getting pulled into the mirror universe, a space shooter that I could never get very far in because I'm not very good at that genre of game, but it seemed cool. I just need to learn how to play flight sims.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BioEnchanted posted:

Did anyone here play the PS2 game Star Trek: Shattered Universe? It's about Sulu and the Excelsior getting pulled into the mirror universe, a space shooter that I could never get very far in because I'm not very good at that genre of game, but it seemed cool. I just need to learn how to play flight sims.

I played it.

It was very much not good.

Like, very not good.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Paper Lion posted:

threshold deserves the vitriol, but its for the fact that its a perfect example of every poor writing and acting choice, every aspect of the poor production, every ability to turn all ideas into boring grey paste, and every writers room inability to think ahead or within the actual limits of their shows conceit that voyager has to offer all in one episode

however, by objective measure, retrospect is easily the worst episode of voyager, and its shocking how not talked about in many circles that is.

Absolutely. Retrospect is beyond bad. It is offensively bad, and not for its technique. It's doubly sad to see victim blaming in a rape allegory aimed specifically at Jeri Ryan, who IRL has gone through some poo poo. It's not bad in a fun way or in a way that's fun to make fun of. The PVSTV guys did a jokes out of the room short episode about it because it would have been terrible to make jokes about the episode at all.

In conclusion, gently caress Bryan Fuller.

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm onto Far Beyond the Stars. It's always fun to play "Which period character is which actor sans the usual makeup." Took a while to recognise the guy handing out drawings because I recognised the voice but without the Klingon makeup General Martok was unrecognisable to me.

:allears: I always love seeing people go through DS9 for the first time. "Far Beyond the Stars" is a top 3 ep for me, maybe my favorite.

Now listen -- Benny Russel has dreamt all of Trek reality into existence! He's real! Don't believe that Pah Wraith nonsense! That is just the writers chickening out on the implications of what they did here! Everything in Trek canon is from Benny's imagination! Don't be fooled by the lies! It's real! IT'S REAL! IT'S REALLLLLLLL! *Is dragged out of the room, screaming*

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
yeah I also got up to far beyond the stars this morning and then after that I stopped and went and sat in the garden awhile and cried a bit more

goddamn this goddamn show sometimes

also the one where quark has to assemble a crack squad of ferengis to rescue his mum from the dominion is the best ferengi nonsense episode yet, and that's a fairly high bar to pass at this point

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Railing Kill posted:

Now listen -- Benny Russel has dreamt all of Trek reality into existence! He's real! Don't believe that Pah Wraith nonsense! That is just the writers chickening out on the implications of what they did here! Everything in Trek canon is from Benny's imagination! Don't be fooled by the lies! It's real! IT'S REAL! IT'S REALLLLLLLL! *Is dragged out of the room, screaming*

I introduced an ex-girlfriend to DS9 back in 2020, showing her a small smattering of random episodes, ending with Far Beyond the Stars.

She was completely sold on it after that and started right from Emissary immediately.

DesperateDan posted:

also the one where quark has to assemble a crack squad of ferengis to rescue his mum from the dominion is the best ferengi nonsense episode yet, and that's a fairly high bar to pass at this point

The Magnificent Ferengi is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV1y2f1Jnr0&t=74s

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Timby posted:

I played it.

It was very much not good.

Like, very not good.

I'll make my own judgement when I get around to it, I like the setup and I've enjoyed many games that others think of as bad. Also it's always fun to see Worf with his hair down, I keep forgetting how much of it he has since it's always in a ponytail.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BioEnchanted posted:

I'll make my own judgement when I get around to it, I like the setup and I've enjoyed many games that others think of as bad. Also it's always fun to see Worf with his hair down, I keep forgetting how much of it he has since it's always in a ponytail.

The setup is fine, but the actual gameplay is just loving terrible. There's a reason it's one of the worst-reviewed games in Trek's illustrious history of having bad games.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

On another note, I love how they use Bashir's hyper-intelligence in later episodes. Like when O'Brian's trying to practice Tongo and this happens:

Bashir: I don't even know the rules
*Miles hands him the pad, he glances for half a second*
Bashir: OK, Let's play...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BioEnchanted posted:

On another note, I love how they use Bashir's hyper-intelligence in later episodes. Like when O'Brian's trying to practice Tongo and this happens:

Bashir: I don't even know the rules
*Miles hands him the pad, he glances for half a second*
Bashir: OK, Let's play...

And even then, Bashir gets smoked at Tongo.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

magnificent ferengi is easily the best ferengi episode. also has iggy pop in the best celebrity guest star role of the series

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Moai Ou posted:

I've been getting an itch to do a big Trek rewatch recently, and since I like things to be as drawn out as possible, I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for any watch-along podcasts. I know Nextlander's Watchcast recently wrapped up the first season of TOS, but wondered if there's anything in the vein of A More Civilized Age for any of the classic series.

I think this got lost.

I'm really liking the Delta Flyers (hosted by the actors for Paris and Kim) as watchalong for Voyager. The Seventh Rule is hosted by Cirroc Lofton (Jake Sisko) and was also hosted by Aron Eisenberg (Nog) until his death (but I haven't heard it myself so I don't know how good it is). I believe the go-to for TNG is the Greatest Generation, there's no actor-hosted one. For ENT, I don't think Shuttlepod One is a dedicated watchalong podcast, but it is run by Reed and Trip's actors and apparently has a must-listen episode about the titular Shuttlepod One TV episode.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

I am the nerdiest of nerds.

What the hell is that ship supposed to be

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

What the hell is that ship supposed to be

it's star fleet battles look away before it melts your mind

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Does anyone remember the game Star Trek: Legacy? I got it for Christmas, installed it on my PC, and was very disappointed with it. Maybe I'd like it better now; I don't remember now why I was dissatisfied. This was 2006 or so.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always love unique sets, like the sets in the episode where O'Brian and Bashir are inside the computer on the Defiant.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Does anyone remember the game Star Trek: Legacy? I got it for Christmas, installed it on my PC, and was very disappointed with it. Maybe I'd like it better now; I don't remember now why I was dissatisfied. This was 2006 or so.

Legacy was a console-first game that had a really terrible PC port in terms of both bugs and the control scheme.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
oh hey, it looks like at least some of the movies are back on paramount+. i had TWOK and TMP on my list and they're back

beyond that, no idea which ones specifically are up though, because the loving search doesn't work at all lol

e: scrolling through the main "home" screen, it looks like it's probably all of them. saw III-X also

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It was very bare bones and boring. Bridge Commander came out around the same time/slightly earlier, I believe, and was way more fun and interesting

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BioEnchanted posted:

I like when it implies that Weyoun has hobbies outside the dominion, like at the end of the baseball card episode where he adopts the mad scientist and starts helping him with his dumb idea for "Keeping the cells entertained".

in a different episode they had written weyoun as having a bizarre collection of trinkets from around the station and cut it

quote:

A scene in the script for "You Are Cordially Invited" that was ultimately cut involved the Starfleet crew clearing out their quarters, which had been occupied by various members of the Dominion. Doctor Bashir's quarters were occupied by Weyoun, who was apparently fond of collecting various items and studying them in his quarters. The items included shoes, coasters, bits of string, broken bottles, power cells, picture frames, and chair legs.

i really wish they had gone through with it though, that sounds hilarious. i could see him being a weird hoarder that's incredibly protective of his junk pile in an attempt to understand these alpha quadrant creatures

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Tighclops posted:

Lookit this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1WlpDqYwzw

this poo poo is loving tight

these are extremely well done

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Arivia posted:

I think this got lost.

I'm really liking the Delta Flyers (hosted by the actors for Paris and Kim) as watchalong for Voyager. The Seventh Rule is hosted by Cirroc Lofton (Jake Sisko) and was also hosted by Aron Eisenberg (Nog) until his death (but I haven't heard it myself so I don't know how good it is). I believe the go-to for TNG is the Greatest Generation, there's no actor-hosted one. For ENT, I don't think Shuttlepod One is a dedicated watchalong podcast, but it is run by Reed and Trip's actors and apparently has a must-listen episode about the titular Shuttlepod One TV episode.

I bounced off Delta Fliers because of the repetition. They're both nice guys and have interesting things to say from time to time, but they seem to forget between episodes what anecdotes they've already used multiple times. Robbie MacNeil seems to know his stuff but is kind of absent minded. Garret Wang seems cool and would be fun to hang out with, but he's kind of...ditzy? I dunno.

The People vs. Star Trek Voyager is alright. Annoying in different ways, but alright. They do a really self-indulgent musical and/or drunk episode once per season that I skip, but otherwise I prefer them if you absolutely must experience VOY again without actually watching it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
People’s Most Beautiful Man In The World 1997 is entitled to a bit of himbo ditziness, imo.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

MikeJF posted:

Legacy was a console-first game that had a really terrible PC port in terms of both bugs and the control scheme.

Barry Foster posted:

It was very bare bones and boring. Bridge Commander came out around the same time/slightly earlier, I believe, and was way more fun and interesting

This is jogging my memory a bit. I remember it being buggy and the controls being weird. I think it advertised that you could fly a number of historical starships (the Constitution, the movie refit, the D, maybe even the Defiant) but that all had to be unlocked.

I've never played many of the Star Trek video games aside from a bit of Legacy and that NES 25th anniversary game (which I sucked at).

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Plus he's probably high. He's like the third highest person in Star Trek history.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sash! posted:

Plus he's probably high. He's like the third highest person in Star Trek history.

They should lean into that. Next time we meet Harry Kim in-universe he's head of a huge hydroponics research station putting out the Federation's dankest, and yet he's somehow still an Ensign

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sash! posted:

On most of these Robert Duncan McNeill sounds WAY higher.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sash! posted:

obviously gene is first, but who is second?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Met Shatner today at Phoenix Comicon.

Older gentleman in front of me asked Shatner if he could give us a “KHAAAAAAAAAN!”. Shatner goes “I’m too old! And if I do it for you, i’ve gotta do it for everybody. Why don’t you do it?”.

Guy gets put on the spot by Shatner, and lets out a very tepid “khaaaaaan”.

I go “C’mon man, Kirk was way angrier at Khan than that.”

Shatner puts me on the spot and asks me to do it.

I give my best KHAAAAAAAAN.

Shatner: “Now see? That was SO much better!”

Shook his hand, got my album signed and thanked him for everything.

The rest of my day is a bonus.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

They should lean into that. Next time we meet Harry Kim in-universe he's head of a huge hydroponics research station putting out the Federation's dankest, and yet he's somehow still an Ensign

You can't replicate crystals like these bro

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Brawnfire posted:

Actually he was promoted to captain years ago, but he never remembers to put on the extra rank pips and no one wants to be the one to point it out to him.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Can't blame 'em, he has a twenty-minute gigglefit every time he hears the word "pip"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

BioEnchanted posted:

I like the irony with the Gem Hadar in the episode with the crew in the tiny ship - their credo is "Obedience is Victory, Victory is Life" but one of the previous generation Gem Hadar notices that their superior officer is making bad calls, and when he tries to advise him he gets shouted down with "No, I am the first, you are the second, do as I say". This attitude allows them to lose to the protagonists because he keeps obeying despite his misgivings, until they are all wiped out, and his last words are "Obedience is Victory. Victory... is... life..."

I also like that Sisko is kind of growing less stable mentally because of all the religious experiences with the prophets loving with his perception so much, on top of the stress of war. It seems DS9's central themes are of flawed perceptions, Sisko's religious experiences, Dukat's descent into scizophrenia, the Gem Hadar being raised to believe the Vorta are infallible and them being bred to see the Founders as such, the Founders cannot comprehend , or ignore, that Solids are all individual beings and so they are using the behaviour of 0.1% of the population to say "gently caress the rest", and the Prophets having a lack of empathy for the linear corporal beings and Bajorans seeing them as Gods, and similarly to the founders, the Bajorans have fallen into a trap that Kira is only just starting to break them out of, of seeing all of Cardassia as a single entity instead of a collection of people.

I won't say much other than they really do see these themes through to the end, which is one of the main reasons I love this show so much. It's gotten a reputation for being "dark and gritty" because it has a war, but it really explores the reasons why people go to war in the most Trek way possible. It's ultimately about various different cultures coming face-to-face with how flawed they are, and how they ultimately deal with it -- whether by reacting like a cornered animal and trying to re-assert their dominance, or being willing to move on to something new and better.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

In the Pale Moonlight brought to mind why I don't mind DS9's "As you know" dialog - it often serves an actual purpose. For example, in one episode the Audience knows what happened with Quark's Klingon ex-wife from a prior episode but Worf does not and is confused about the situation, so Dax is gleefully relaying the whole stupid situation to him because it's a funny story. In another, Sisko is asking for a major breach of protocol from the doctor, so his relaying of information is not unnecessary. It's his justification for trying to talk Ben out of requesting the highly dangerous substance. "I cannot do this because YOU KNOW it is illegal" is the context.

Also I loved the final lines simply being "Because I can live with it. I can live with it. Computer, erase that entire personal log." Also the origin of the "It's a faaaaaake" meme

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

In the Pale Moonlight brought to mind why I don't mind DS9's "As you know" dialog - it often serves an actual purpose. For example, in one episode the Audience knows what happened with Quark's Klingon ex-wife from a prior episode but Worf does not and is confused about the situation, so Dax is gleefully relaying the whole stupid situation to him because it's a funny story. In another, Sisko is asking for a major breach of protocol from the doctor, so his relaying of information is not unnecessary. It's his justification for trying to talk Ben out of requesting the highly dangerous substance. "I cannot do this because YOU KNOW it is illegal" is the context.

Also I loved the final lines simply being "Because I can live with it. I can live with it. Computer, erase that entire personal log." Also the origin of the "It's a faaaaaake" meme

Also,

Elim Garak posted:

"And if your conscience is bothering you, you should soothe it with the knowledge that you may have just saved the entire Alpha Quadrant. And all it cost was the life of one Romulan senator, one criminal, and the self-respect of one Starfleet officer. I don't know about you, but I'd call that a bargain."

:allears:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also some Romulan crew on the senator's runabout.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Also some Romulan crew on the senator's runabout.

Eh. They are just couch-shirts, they don't count.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also the runabout itself. A bunch of people probably spent a lot of time making that nice little runabout than some one just recklessly goes and blows up all their hard work.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

dr_rat posted:

Also the runabout itself. A bunch of people probably spent a lot of time making that nice little runabout than some one just recklessly goes and blows up all their hard work.

Psh, those parts are replicated and simply assembled. Might as well be IKEA furniture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

dr_rat posted:

It reminds me of a cute scene in a Netflix show that got bad reviews but I personally enjoyed, "God's Favourite Idiot" - in one episode, a demon is trying to tempt the protagonists out of their home, which has been sanctified by angels so that she cannot harm them so she needs them to leave, and she makes a huge spread of barbecue food, and when she is refused yet again after multiple attempts she just gets very real with them (the quote is not exact).

"This is so FRUSTRATING! Let me guess, God only gave you vague hints about what to do and won't give you anything more concrete to help you do whatever she wanted you to do? This wasn't easy you know. I slaved away for HOURS to make this for you and you just say 'no thanks' without even trying any of it?!"