Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Was really funny watching Mask of the Phantasm shortly after Batman Begins and it feeling very familiar. Though apparently both borrow heavily from Year One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ccs posted:

Oh yeah and I watched the new Spiderverse and it’s a masterpiece. I’m in the minority maybe as someone who enjoys the first one more though

Idk I feel like that won't end up being that hot a take ultimately. I mean I haven't seen it but I've felt like that'll end up being the case for me in the end.

Also yeah Return of the Joker rules

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Loved the Harley Quinn cameo with Harley this crotchety old grandma yelling at her stupid granddaughters lol.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Pixeltendo posted:

It's a shame a lot of the DCAU movies are inconsistent in quality.

Phantasm and Return of the joker are solid films. Then you have things like the Freeze movie, mystery of Batwoman, and the Brainiac attack film that are less so.
Brainiac attack is a weird one that uses all the DCAU character designs but the story is not in continuity with the DCAU, the characterization is wildly disparate and inferior, and all the major characters have been recast (for the worse) on top of it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Ccs posted:

Oh yeah and I watched the new Spiderverse and it’s a masterpiece. I’m in the minority maybe as someone who enjoys the first one more though

The new movie doesn't have Nicolas Cage as Spider-man Noir. I want him to get a stand-alone movie.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The new movie doesn't have Nicolas Cage as Spider-man Noir. I want him to get a stand-alone movie.

Same but Kathryn Hahn. Though she gets a small (archive?) cameo in this one, and I reckon the chances of her coming back in Part 3 are pretty decent.

(not really a spoiler, but I'm being careful)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Assepoester posted:

Brainiac attack is a weird one that uses all the DCAU character designs but the story is not in continuity with the DCAU, the characterization is wildly disparate and inferior, and all the major characters have been recast (for the worse) on top of it.

And then on the other hand there was Justice League vs the Fatal Five which I'm pretty sure is in continuity and as far as I can tell brought back all the available cast, and then some with appearances of characters they couldn't use in JLU thanks to bullshit mandates.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this is the list of animated films I intend to try to watch this year, IDK how many of them I'll actually get through but I'm gonna give it a shot:

Robin Robin, The Wolf House, Even Mice Belong in Heaven, Encanto, Soul, Mad God, Storks, Wish Dragon, Missing Link, Lupin III: The First, Flee, Lost in the Moonlight, I Lost My Body, Vivo, Entergalactic, Summit of the Gods, Cryptozoo, Rumble, Smallfoot, Finding Dory, The House, Seal Team, Inu-oh, The Bad Guys, Over the Moon, Isle of Dogs, Strange World, Spies in Disguise, Dragon's Quest: Your Story, The Bob's Burgers Movie, The Legend of Hei, Fireheart, Mary & the Witch's Flower, Wolfwalkers, My Father's Dragon, DC League of Super-Pets, Luck, Lightyear, Lego Movie 2, Your Name, Raya & the Last Dragon, Ron's Gone Wrong, Ferdinand, The Deer King, Napping Princess, Children of the Sea, Lu Over the Wall, Wendell & Wild, Maquia, Birthday Wonderland, Penguin Highway, Drifting Home, A Silent Voice, The Illusionist, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Bolt, Steamboy, Kronk's New Groove, Stranger By the Shore

even with all these there are still many more, but obv a lot of them are not on streaming at the moment, so I'm sticking to what's available on the services I have. hopefully someone picks up Ernest & Celestine 2 eventually -_-

e: also whether the films have a reputation of being good/bad has no bearing on me watching them, i'll form my own opinion

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 3, 2023

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Holy loving poo poo man. There is no hyperbole in what people are saying about Spiderverse. It's incredible. Everything about it, the things it does with animation puts everything else to shame. I'm sitting here just in awe at what I watched.

One thing storywise that I really loved was immediately upon meeting Hobie (Spider Punk) he's 100% on Miles' side, thinks he's great, and he's never not on his side. He even just straight up quits the spider club when they try to imprison Miles. Then of course he's the reason that Gwen is going to be able to save Miles in the next movie at all. The previews seemed to really play up the possible love triangle between Hobie, Miles and Gwen, but the movie never goes further than Miles being a little nervous about Gwen liking him. Which again sort of goes out the window when the two of them meet and Hobie is an instant friend to Miles.

The expanded stuff with Gwen was great too, loved seeing her story. Even the movie the movie is technically about Miles, this one is also pretty equally about Gwen, which I'm glad of because I like her character a lot. I felt like jumping up and down in my seat in that final shot where Gwen was about to head off to save Miles with all the other Spider Friends that Miles made during the course of the movie and last movie (Peni, Spider Noir, and Spiderham are all there. They don't have any speaking roles except for one line from Peni). It felt like seeing all the Avengers together or the portal scene from Endgame. That's how hype it felt

Seeing all the alternate Spider Mans (and villains) was very fun (there are a few live action cameos) and the villain is awesome. What they do with the villain is amazing too, how did they do it?? Christ!!

I'm so so excited for the third one. Seriously Across the Spiderverse just knocks out of the park so hard. There's a million other things I could say about the movie probably but those are the really big things.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Well said. Spiderverse is just absurdly impressive. I am struggling to think of a movie that has done more visually to blow me away, and it's hard. Maybe Princess Kaguya? There is so much going on and they are doing so much interesting and inventive stuff, but it always flows great and reads perfectly well. Miraculous.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I just can’t believe the stuff they’re pulling off with Spot. Cannot wait for the next movie because what they’ve teased with him is beyond anything I’ve seen in animation before. The entire history of art is in these movies.

The one bit that made me cry was when Gwen and her father reconcile, and the background just throws in some pleasant abstract shapes for funsies. They create this beautiful little portrait of Captain Stacey to add flare to the emotional climax of that story.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The backgrounds were constantly cool and none of the dimensions looked the same because of it. This was especially noticeable when Miles ends up in the wrong universe. They do a lot of showing the world Miles lives in at the beginning, with sweeping shots of the city, and the swinging around segment with Gwen. So when Miles ends up in dimension 42 at the end, when he's running around swinging trying to get home, the viewer can instantly tell something is wrong. The colors aren't right, the vibe of the city isn't right. I mean astute viewers will easily know he throws himself into the wrong dimension anyway because they know the spider isn't from his own. But it's especially clear when he's going through the city and everything is off. Granted it also goes back and forth between him and Gwen and you can see the differences that way too, but I think even if they didn't do that, you would be able to tell that something is wrong after he returns "home"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Just a reminder there is a spiderverse thread already so please move spiderverse chat there.

Thanks!

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

MacheteZombie posted:

Just a reminder there is a spiderverse thread already so please move spiderverse chat there.

Thanks!
it's nice to see people so excited!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1665070634106331141?t=O3Ys7X4E0eLvDPIqGGMq_Q&s=19

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Somewhere, Bob Mackey just shattered his phone in his fist.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Wasn't the Toy Story 2 they saved the scrapped direct to video version?

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Yeah, the "saved" version of Toy Story 2 was then completely scrapped and they started over from scratch anyway.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/cinelinx/status/1665818110597660681

Seems the new TMNT movie will serve as the pilot for an upcoming series

We also have a release date and another trailer for the new Superman cartoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI9uUv6AdoY

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Elemental is tracking very badly at the box office. Looking to be one of Disney's worst openings for an animated feature in a while.

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1666498366879178753

A lot of the narrative here is that releasing three consecutive Pixar features straight to Disney+ trained would-be Pixar audiences to wait for Disney+, and I'm sure there's truth to that, but it also doesn't help that their first two theatrical features post-COVID have been (a) a badly misconceived Toy Story spinoff that had absolutely nothing to do with the things anyone likes about the Toy Story franchise, and now (b) a movie that looks like ChatGPT or Midjourney's idea of what a Pixar movie is.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It's unfortunate, because I thought Luca, Soul, and Turning Red were all great films, and I would have happily seen them in theaters. Elemental I have absolutely zero interest in, and I would rather (And probably will) go see Across the Spider-Verse instead next time I go to the theater.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's unfortunate, because I thought Luca, Soul, and Turning Red were all great films, and I would have happily seen them in theaters. Elemental I have absolutely zero interest in, and I would rather (And probably will) go see Across the Spider-Verse instead next time I go to the theater.

:same:

Plus ATSV is S-tier animation, and doesn’t have an equal.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There's a simple shot-reverse-shot scene between Gwen and her dad which was just staggering it what it conveyed.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
My kids are still super excited for Elemental despite me not having hyped it to them at all

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Elemental looks cute but Disney's streaming stuff has definitely killed my desire to go see anything Disney related in theaters. I know it'll be on the service in a few weeks so unless it screams that it'll be awesome to see in theaters with surround sound and everything I... don't.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Strange World didn’t do so hot for them either which wasn’t Pixar, so they have some things to figure out with their release strategy. Elemental maybe should’ve released further from Spider-Man for example.

E: also I have seen not one single ad for the film anywhere

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 8, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Barry Convex posted:

Elemental is tracking very badly at the box office. Looking to be one of Disney's worst openings for an animated feature in a while.

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1666498366879178753

A lot of the narrative here is that releasing three consecutive Pixar features straight to Disney+ trained would-be Pixar audiences to wait for Disney+, and I'm sure there's truth to that, but it also doesn't help that their first two theatrical features post-COVID have been (a) a badly misconceived Toy Story spinoff that had absolutely nothing to do with the things anyone likes about the Toy Story franchise, and now (b) a movie that looks like ChatGPT or Midjourney's idea of what a Pixar movie is.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Papercut posted:

My kids are still super excited for Elemental despite me not having hyped it to them at all
My kids are a little too young for the full runtime and themes of ATSV but we're probably gonna see Elemental

they'll probably have a good time but I really wish Pixar had instead chosen to make a good movie.

Didn't get the opportunity to see Encanto or Turning Red in theaters, this seems like a poor subsitute.

The 7th Guest posted:

E: also I have seen not one single ad for the film anywhere
do you go outside? San Francisco is absolutely covered in ads for this movie.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Minneapolis… ain’t, lol

e: but i haven't been downtown in a little bit so maybe it's got billboards there?

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 8, 2023

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Whatever my kids watch on YouTube has also been getting regular ads for Elemental

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’m just amazed they let the guy who directed The Good Dinosaur make another movie…

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Oh its the Good Dinosaur director?

Well that explains it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I keep thinking of The Good Dinosaur as a weird spinoff of that TV show The Good Wife

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Lol at it being written by chat get but this article seems like it's meaningful to its writer, supposedly:
https://www.fijivillage.com/news/How-director-Peter-Sohn-reflected-his-immigrant-experience-in-new-Pixar-film-Elemental-5rxf48/

I guess we'll see? Not gonna see it is the theater prob tho

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sivart13 posted:

My kids are a little too young for the full runtime and themes of ATSV but we're probably gonna see Elemental

Some idiot brought his toddler in to see it and spent half the movie (until I walked out and got a refund to see the movie at the next showing that night) whisper yelling at this baby who understandably was yammering away. Honestly didn't mind the baby babble what was awful was how angry this guy got. Absolute vibe killer.

Why bring a 3 year old to a 2 and a half hour loving movie? It's insane?!

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Why bring a 3 year old to a 2 and a half hour loving movie? It's insane?!

Because you can't bring them with you to the bar.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
there was definitely a young-ish kid at my 7pm screening but thankfully it wasn't disruptive other than a few stray yelps and a humorous "it's done!" at the end of the film

I waited a while to show my kids the first Spider-Verse, not just because they're still very young but I felt like they need to "earn" it by seeing worse / more basic Spider-Man stories first.

Starting one's Spider-Man journey with a movie that may be one of the pinnacles of human achievement seems like it's setting the bar pretty high. At this point they're both plenty entertained by the preschooler Spider-Man show.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Normally I'm as anti-children as the next person that's raised a pair with manners and left them at home... but when we went to see SMB, there was a 4/5? yo kid behind us that was SUPER into the movie and it was kinda great.

THERES A SKELETON BEHIND YOU LOUIGI

CAN MARIO SWIM?

OH NO MARIO, RUN

HES A RAINBOW

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
There will be children at the spider man movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I have encountered parents bringing very young children to venom and deadpool 2, of course in both instances the relevant child bawled and shrieked at all the horror and violence onscreen pissing everyone off lmao