Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The Mission Impossible Spectacular Stunt Show Starting Tom Cruise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wasn't Hannah Gadsby the one with the aggressively unfunny Netflix comedy special
Yeah she got to do an art exhibit basically as a sequel to it, and apparently it was bankrolled by a billionaire family that just won immunity against opioid lawsuits (from totally unbiased judges I'm sure) and is a no-effort cash-in on the Netflix special's brand

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Just popping into the thread to say I'm spending my afternoon getting high and watching the 1978 Watership Down, a fine piece of pop culture

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

1stGear posted:

I found White Lotus S1 bizarrely compelling, but the second season didn't do it for me. Banging intro them tho.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Somebody should leak Napoleon via tweet so we can all watch it

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Just popping into the thread to say I'm spending my afternoon getting high and watching the 1978 Watership Down, a fine piece of pop culture

great movie. still haven't seen The Plague Dogs but i read the book.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I may have bitten off more than I can chew

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

imagine me seeing that movie as like a five year old and being hosed up for life

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

All their dumbass rabbit words are just so amazing

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

loquacius posted:

Yeah she got to do an art exhibit basically as a sequel to it, and apparently it was bankrolled by a billionaire family that just won immunity against opioid lawsuits (from totally unbiased judges I'm sure) and is a no-effort cash-in on the Netflix special's brand

Um actually Gadsby got assurance that all the cash she took from the Sacklers didn’t specifically come from their opioid blood money vault, so it’s not problematic anymore

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Holy poo poo that rabbit just laid down and died!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

Didn't like her character at all in s1, didn't really like any of the characters really besides Armond, the dad, and son.

:thunkher:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

1stGear posted:

I found White Lotus S1 bizarrely compelling, but the second season didn't do it for me. Banging intro them tho.

The characters in the first season were so much better but I think the overall story in 2 or at least parts of it were much better. Really liked the guy there to discover his family's plotline, but the other one was way too convoluted. The only people you really cheer for in season 2 are the 2 sex worker ladies.

2 does that :razz: capitalism bad type thing, the first did that so much better by showing how psychotic the rich were based on their interactions with the workers.

AnimeIsTrash has issued a correction as of 21:29 on Jun 3, 2023

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's really shocking that it has so many seasons. I only watched snippets of it growing up so I thought all the sex/violence towards women stuff was towards the middle seasons but it basically starts around season 2.

huh im surprised family guys numbers hit season two cancelation level ten years ago and season three cancelation level five years ago but the show just keeps on going without any hint that its ever going to stop

theres gotta be something screwy going on with how the contracts for shows like the simpsons and family guy are written because it just doesnt make any sense that they keep making new ones when there are so few viewers

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i never know what to make of puck claiming to break entertainment news stories that no one else is covering especially when it seems like an angle hollywood reporter or variety would be all over if they could find literally any credible source for it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Some Guy TT posted:

i never know what to make of puck claiming to break entertainment news stories that no one else is covering especially when it seems like an angle hollywood reporter or variety would be all over if they could find literally any credible source for it

its just clickbait buzzfeed/refinery29 tabloid OP

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i did start laughing when the dutch angles showed up but i dont think that was the intended reading

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Shane was also very fun to hate character, everyone's known a Shane at some point in their life.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Hannah Gadsby certainly has some problems but LOL at how mad that review was about someone badmouthing Picasso, a well known shithead

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

Hannah Gadsby certainly has some problems but LOL at how mad that review was about someone badmouthing Picasso, a well known shithead

troll post prob but the review is not mad at that at all holy poo poo plz go back to the kids korner (ted asso)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I dunno how you could read that out of the review unless you had decided to ahead of time but I think Jaxyon just has an argument fetish or something

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

loquacius posted:

Yeah I dunno how you could read that out of the review unless you had decided to ahead of time but I think Jaxyon just has an argument fetish or something

they didn’t read the review

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My criticism of the article is that the author seems to take art way too seriously, but it makes sense that he would because he is an art critic

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I don't think he takes it too seriously, i mean he might but based on that article you can't really tell. I think he's just annoyed that some insane dork hijacked an opportunity to really highlight feminist artistic movements (including those happening contemporary to or in reaction to Picasso!) or say anything honest about the man in order to do marketing for a 5 year old D+ comedy special

I'd be annoyed too if some BA came down to the dicksucking factory and tried to pontificate to me about the art of fellatio

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

loquacius posted:

My criticism of the article is that the author seems to take art way too seriously, but it makes sense that he would because he is an art critic

https://twitter.com/lint_ax/status/1664642899475038209

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

honestly any aussies in america need to go back to your own loving country (England)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Revolutionary new techniques in coping

NotPerfect
Sep 29, 2021

Some Guy TT posted:

It's just Tom Cruise John Barroning himself in the news.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

gotta be honest i watched the last one of those mission: impossible movies and it was pretty mid, i'm glad they're at least trying to keep stuntwork in action movies alive but beyond that i don't really get the hype

I watched some thing talking about how the franchise has been going great after the weak point of MI2 and wtf?? That's John woo motherfucker

The new ones are all po faced shite (haven't watched)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

easily Woo's worst American movie

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

he shouldn't of let Tom have that haircut. the movie was doomed from that point

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

indigi posted:

they didn’t read the review

quote:

So far as it has an argument — a problematic — it goes like this: Pablo Picasso was an important artist. He was also something of a jerk around women. And women are more than “goddesses or doormats,” as Picasso brutally had it; women, too, have stories to tell. I wish there was more to inform you of, but that’s really about the size of it. All the feminist scholarship of the last 50 years — about repressed desire, about phallic instability, or even just about the lives of the women Picasso loved — is put to one side, in favor of what really matters: your feelings. “Admiration and anger can coexist,” a text at the show’s entrance reassures us.

Again, without defending the show, this sounds like some real "this is unfair to picasso" poo poo rather than "it's not hard enough go harder"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mhm and what about when read in the context of the rest of the review

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
also they're mad that they called art collecting an elite swindle but it totally is

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

indigi posted:

mhm and what about when read in the context of the rest of the review

you mean

quote:

The trouble is obvious, and entirely symptomatic of our back-to-front digital lives: For this show the reactions came first, the objects reacted to second. A show that started with pictures might make you come to wonder — following the pioneering feminist art historian Linda Nochlin — why Picasso’s paintings of women are generally lacking in desire, quite unlike the pervy paintings of Balthus, Picabia and other cancelable midcentury gents. A show properly engaged with feminism and the avant-garde might have turned to Lyubov Popova, Natalia Goncharova, Nadezhda Udaltsova or Olga Rozanova: the remarkable Soviet women artists who put Picasso’s breakdown of forms in the service of political revolution. A more serious look at reputation and male genius might have introduced a work by at least one female Cubist: perhaps Alice Bailly, or Marie Vassilieff, or Alice Halicka, or Marie Laurencin, or Jeanne Rij-Rousseau, or María Blanchard, ​ or even Australia’s own Anne Dangar.

still more "unfair to picasso" poo poo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh for sure

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jaxyon posted:

Again, without defending the show, this sounds like some real "this is unfair to picasso" poo poo rather than "it's not hard enough go harder"

No? No? It's saying that the critique is just "hey did you know Picasso was an rear end in a top hat" which yes true but doesn't actually go beyond that to talk about deeper feminist critiques of his work, about any of the actual women either involved in his life or who were creating art in conversation with him, or really anything other than a making twitter jokes about it. You're completely misreading a very simple paragraph!

E: to put it simply, he's not mad that they're being unfair to Picasso but to, like, art history and appreciation; theoretically the purpose of an art musem

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i admire gadsby and hope she is rightfully delighted to get flamed by the new york times

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

StashAugustine posted:

No? No? It's saying that the critique is just "hey did you know Picasso was an rear end in a top hat" which yes true but doesn't actually go beyond that to talk about deeper feminist critiques of his work, about any of the actual women either involved in his life or who were creating art in conversation with him, or really anything other than a making twitter jokes about it. You're completely misreading a very simple paragraph!

E: to put it simply, he's not mad that they're being unfair to Picasso but to, like, art history and appreciation; theoretically the purpose of an art musem

actually both

hence the complaint about art collecting being a swindle which it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
also big "gadsby isn't funny but i'm not like the misgoynists who think that" energy going on this thread