Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Why cant you smoke? Not like you're goin anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I went and bought a brisket because of that post. 🫡

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ZombieCrew posted:

Why cant you smoke? Not like you're goin anywhere.

I am going somewhere. Got a buddy that has a shop so a lift 100% beats laying on the ground..

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Having some goons and a colleague over for BBQ and beer during some absolutely exquisite weather, so I sous-vided some pork butt over night and threw it on the smoker with some ribs.

90 minutes to go, looking good on the ribs (didn't crutch them for a change), butt is at 88°C/190°F

Gonna add the juices back to the pork after pulling and then serve it with some brioche buns, guests can add homemade coleslaw, homemade relish, pickles, onions, BBQ sauce if desired.

Also buttermilked some wings overnight, gave them a coating of baking powder and homemade BBQ rub, gonna slam them in the air fryer for 15 mins at 190°C/370°F and then hit them with a honey/gochujang/butter/soy sauce coating.

During all my prep and shopping over the last 2 days I completely forgot about any of the sides I had planned, so I'm making some hasty garlic baguette to at least have something.

"Welcome to Chèz Duzzy, here's three choices of protein and also some bread with melted fat lol"
:lol:

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

"Welcome to Chèz Duzzy, here's three choices of protein and also some bread with melted fat lol"
:lol:

Seems appropriately Bavarian!

Looks great, I keep trying to talk myself into sous vide, but I eat so much less meat now than I used to. The other thing I want to talk to my butcher about is finding baby backs with more meat on them - the ones you get out here (at least from the grocery) are really pathetic. Yours look a lot better than that.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Having some goons and a colleague over for BBQ and beer during some absolutely exquisite weather, so I sous-vided some pork butt over night and threw it on the smoker with some ribs.

What temp did you sous vide the butt? Did you take it all the way to final temp and then throw it on the smoker to get bark on it?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

ABen posted:

Seems appropriately Bavarian!

Looks great, I keep trying to talk myself into sous vide, but I eat so much less meat now than I used to. The other thing I want to talk to my butcher about is finding baby backs with more meat on them - the ones you get out here (at least from the grocery) are really pathetic. Yours look a lot better than that.

The meat on baby backs is the pork loin, which is fine but if you are going to go through the effort to get hand trimmed then go for St Louis cut because the meat on that is pork belly.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I don’t like St. Louis there’s not enough meat on them baby back 4 lyfe

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You think internationally acclaimed fine dining institute Chili’s would only serve baby back if St Louis were better? Get the gently caress outta here.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'm with Murgos, I also prefer St. Louis.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/FlatheadBeacon/status/1662495628604346369?s=20

Alright, which one of you did this?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Doing my part for National Brisket Day tomorrow.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

10 hours in and think I hit the stall, sitting at 155 now. Going to wrap in butcher paper soon.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Mmmmmm

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'm making pork chops on National Brisket day. You're not the boss of me, Big Brisket.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Anybody else tried using tallow with briskets? I hate that it’s becoming THE method to cook them. Lots of new BBQers on Reddit act like they must have tallow in the wrap to make it good. I figured I’d try it out to see what the fuss was about. Trimmed a 14.5lber prime from Sam’s down to about 12 lbs and rendered half the fat into about a cup of tallow. I started the grill at 8, meat on at 10, wrapped at 7 with a bunch of tallow on it and was done at 9. I rewrapped with more tallow for resting.

I also bought some black nitrile gloves and cotton liners. I’m one selfie bite tik tok video from being a food influencer.

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.
Doesn’t really answer your question, but the reason why good cuts are good is bc of the fat. Ground beef is always good and juicy bc you grind the fat into it and make it “marbled” in a sense. My not so secret trick for pork ribs I’ve been doing for a few years is to use lard and spiced apple cider packets for the crunch portion of 3-2-1, same effect as adding tallow with brisket, but brisket benefits way more based on the cuts makeup.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
the fat you put on the outside isn’t going to get into the meat in any meaningful way so it’s basically equivalent to just brushing fat on the outside after you cook it

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

jawbroken posted:

the fat you put on the outside isn’t going to get into the meat in any meaningful way so it’s basically equivalent to just brushing fat on the outside after you cook it

That’s what I thought too. Just seemed like an added messy step. The biggest gains I’ve ever made on brisket was to buy a fattier/more marbled (aka Prime) cut and to dry brine. The testimonials on wrapping with tallow led me to believe it’s better or they’re written/filmed by someone who has never had that much brisket before.

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.
Someone needs to create a giant syringe that can inject it into the brisket…oh wait

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
The tallow wrap is great, but not 100% necessary. Its main purpose is to saturate the bark, essentially waterproofing it so it doesn’t soften and/or fall off in the steam of the wrap.

I will absolutely do it every time forever though, very worth it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Well, tallow or not, it came out fantastically. Definitely one of my best.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

16 hours in on my monster brisket, finally starting to climb out of the stall now. Just hit 170, looking like this might be a 22ish hour smoke.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

bird with big dick posted:

I don’t like St. Louis there’s not enough meat on them baby back 4 lyfe

Right? There’s not enough meat on high volume cheap St. Louis cut ribs because the meat on it is the pork belly, which everyone loves and pays $$$$ for so they trim it extra close.

So if you are going to get it hand trimmed then it will have lots of meat on it which will be better after a long slow smoke than low fat pork loin.

Like, this isn’t rocket science, it will have more meat on it because you’re getting it cut that way and it’s better meat that’s more appropriate for smoking.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hit 205 right around 5:30, let it sit in a warm oven until 7. I didn't add any tallow when wrapping, but there was so much juice it nearly overflowed the baking tray I was resting it in. Didn't manage any nice photos at the end, it fell apart as I moved it to the cutting board.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If the tallow is to waterproof it could I use butter?
Schmaltz?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
For sure, I think people just stick with the tallow for beef on beef flavor vs the chicken-y schmaltz or whatnot.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

If the tallow is to waterproof it could I use butter?
Schmaltz?

It might not make a difference but butter has some water in it so you may want to clarify it first.

Also, a lot of the videos I’ve seen of people using tallow they smoke it for a while so that may help too.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I did beef back ribs from costco yesterday.

225 for about 5 hours with salt, pepper, granulated garlic as a rub. No sauce.

These were some of the best ribs we’ve ever had. Half the time I do pork ribs, some of them turn out dry while waiting for the bend test. These just were pretty much perfect with a great bark and smoke ring on them.

I dunno if I’ll go back to pork ribs.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

nwin posted:

I did beef back ribs from costco yesterday.

225 for about 5 hours with salt, pepper, granulated garlic as a rub. No sauce.

These were some of the best ribs we’ve ever had. Half the time I do pork ribs, some of them turn out dry while waiting for the bend test. These just were pretty much perfect with a great bark and smoke ring on them.

I dunno if I’ll go back to pork ribs.

If you haven’t had them yet, try the full plate beef rib. It’s my favorite of all bbq. Back ribs are fine, and cheap, but they don’t have enough meat to make it worthwhile for me.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Where do you guys find whole plate beef ribs? Actual butcher shops?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Kaddish posted:

If you haven’t had them yet, try the full plate beef rib. It’s my favorite of all bbq. Back ribs are fine, and cheap, but they don’t have enough meat to make it worthwhile for me.

100% on my list to try.

I’ll agree on the amount of meat not being much for back ribs. It was fine for my wife and I, but if we had a third person another rack would have been nice.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Dango Bango posted:

Where do you guys find whole plate beef ribs? Actual butcher shops?

Yeah, I have to order them from my butcher - though I did find them exactly once at Costco.

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

They have beef plate ribs consistently at Costco business centres.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The store had a beef tenderloin reduced to move
*Nathan Fielderishly*
The plan: take the three and a half point tenderloin and cut it in half to fit the smoker, rub each half and smoke for three hours and then wrap in foil until 200.

Is this a good/bad idea?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I wouldn’t go to 200 with tenderloin. Treat it like a steak with regard to temperature.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

The store had a beef tenderloin reduced to move
*Nathan Fielderishly*
The plan: take the three and a half point tenderloin and cut it in half to fit the smoker, rub each half and smoke for three hours and then wrap in foil until 200.

Is this a good/bad idea?

That is going to be terrible, sorry.

Smoke it to 115, take it off and grill it as hot as you possibly can until 125. Then it will be delicious.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Don’t cook a lean piece of beef to 200 degrees ever.

E. Also don’t add smoke honestly. 3 hours of smoke will make a beautiful piece of meat taste like an ashtray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The technique you want is called a reverse sear and I would probably just do the first part in the oven. You could even skip the grill entirely if you have a convection oven. If you absolutely must smoke it, I would use a single chunk at the beginning of the cook.

I love to do a smoky reverse sear on rib roasts or thick steaks and chops, but I'm with Phil that it's probably not a great match for tendeloin.