Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

our oligarchs are all so incredibly loving stupid

I often wonder if our idiots have gotten dumber, if our technology has just reached the point where it's harder to hide how dumb our idiots are, or if technology is simply improving rapidly to keep pace with how much dumber our idiots are getting.

Fister Roboto posted:

Intelligence doesnt generate shareholder value.

Intelligence not specifically directed at hollowing out and selling off everything is in fact detrimental to shareholder value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gyges posted:

I often wonder if our idiots have gotten dumber, if our technology has just reached the point where it's harder to hide how dumb our idiots are,

I think it's both, but more predominantly the second.

People have always been real fuckin' dumb and technology is making it a lot easier for us to see that, but also as our society gets more unequal, and more heavily based in nepotism and privilege, it's more and more likely that the people rising to positions of privilege are just gigantic idiots who never did anything except fail upwards.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 3, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Good riddance

https://twitter.com/mikesington/status/1664785123517120513?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

The timing of this makes me think that higher-ups were not happy with that big interview he did in The Atlantic

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

People have always been real fuckin' dumb and technology is making it a lot easier for us to see that, but also as our society gets more unequal, and more heavily based in nepotism and privilege, it's more and more likely that the people rising to positions of privilege are just gigantic idiots who never did anything except fail upwards.

We have also been outright embracing a culture of elevating dumbness, the "my ignorance is as good as your knowledge" fundamental is a throughline through so much of modern everything, and a lot of malicious actors are intentionally promoting it.

We, as a society, have lost pretty much all respect for people who are not dumb, so even smart people basically have to become dumb (or pretend to be) if they want a chance of getting ahead (or that's what it feels like), especially for the rich and powerful. There was once immense social privilege and esteem to be won by getting smarter and better educated (or at least pretending to be so and patronizing and promoting those who were) and that basically seems dead as a cultural force now.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Good riddance

https://twitter.com/mikesington/status/1664785123517120513?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

The timing of this makes me think that higher-ups were not happy with that big interview he did in The Atlantic

The flipside of the atlantic's stance as a sort of lukewarm hot take machine that periodically normalizes or platforms either really good or absolute dogshit positions, is that it's profoundly influential among some sectors of business leadership and the political commentariat. I've not read it in full, but the weirdly credulous excerpts of the article that I've read likely reflect the fact that the author knew this was an execution document, and that the credulous, explanatory elements would help reach the target audiences.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 3, 2023

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I think it's both, but more predominantly the second.

There's also an argument to be made that the billionaires who speak the most are the ones most likely to speak about things they don't necessarily understand. Elon Musk has been a constant fixture on Twitter, on every topic imaginable. Could we say the same thing about Warren Buffet or Jack Ma?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

Good riddance

have you (or anybody) got another source for this? I'm not seeing this actually reported anywhere beyond this tweet

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

awesmoe posted:

have you (or anybody) got another source for this? I'm not seeing this actually reported anywhere beyond this tweet

Good catch. It looks like this is accurately stating, but misrepresenting, that Leavy was brought on as COO yesterday. That or this guy (who might plausibly have the access) knows something no one else does.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 3, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

GlyphGryph posted:

We have also been outright embracing a culture of elevating dumbness, the "my ignorance is as good as your knowledge" fundamental is a throughline through so much of modern everything, and a lot of malicious actors are intentionally promoting it.

We, as a society, have lost pretty much all respect for people who are not dumb, so even smart people basically have to become dumb (or pretend to be) if they want a chance of getting ahead (or that's what it feels like), especially for the rich and powerful. There was once immense social privilege and esteem to be won by getting smarter and better educated (or at least pretending to be so and patronizing and promoting those who were) and that basically seems dead as a cultural force now.

Most of that 'better' education is and always was just laundering for existing privilege.

What we do have is closer to the third-generation conquerer problem where it's been long enough since the dominant nations of the world actually had any real challenges to their power that the only people of the ruling classes who remember having to put in effort are ancient (and that does not mean all the fossils in power actually are ones who ever had to), and everyone allowed to replace them are vetted failchildren judged only by their loyalty to the ruling ideology.

It's not about elevating stupidity, it's that the appearance, or perhaps a preferred aesthetic of 'intelligence', which varies across political identification, is valued whether or not it has anything actually to do with the slightest amount of sense. The things you do are things smart people do, and if you don't do them you're stupid. The Squad gets painted as dumb impulsive naive brats because they don't follow the correct aesthetic including the ideology that goes with it, and are stupid for pointing out problems that aren't supposed to exist anymore.

The different flavours just appeal to different demographics. Trump is a stupid person's idea of a smart person, presenting himself as a sly, slippery dealmaker and master businessman literally just by making that his brand, and succeeding because his opposition are even more stupid. For liberals, the idea of being bipartisan, 'above the fray' and making hard decisions and compromises is pretty much the equivalent, and despite not really having much appeal accept to certain pathetic wonks it's for the most part the only game in town. There's variants on this, like Hillary's own brand of serene hashtag girlboss rising above the silly boys, Elizabeth Warren tries to copy it badly with a touch of whimsy, Pete Buttigieg wears the brand of the peppy whiz-kid which is somehow catnip to particular demographics despite being a hollow pod person to everyone else, and Elon Musk is literally just 'I named an electric car Tesla, I'm a genius because I know about a guy' and dumbass nerds slurped it up.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Good riddance

Is this the guy who wanted CNN to be more right-wing?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Isn't that John Malone and David Zaslav? (the major investor and CEO of their owner company)

Licht was given the task to carry it out, but the bosses were the ones pushing for the right-wing shift.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This is what happens when you actually believe what the right wing machine says about you.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

our oligarchs are all so incredibly loving stupid

Almost like we don't live in a meritocracy, and capitalism doesn't select for the smartest people in the room, just the least ethical.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Liquid Communism posted:

Almost like we don't live in a meritocracy, and capitalism doesn't select for the smartest people in the room, just the least ethical.

Evolutionary selection processes work over millennia and at the species level. There is a significant amount of luck at the individual level. Same is true for the poor man’s version in capitalism.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Tara I'm begging you, please stop doing this

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1664959992225493001

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why is it defection? Is the US at war with Russia?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

I AM GRANDO posted:

There were lots of defections during the Cold War despite the term being metaphorical and no formal state of war existing.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oxford defines defection as being the desertion of one’s country for an opposing one, not necessarily one you’re at war with. I think Russia absolutely counts as “in opposition” when we’re spending billions of dollars supporting their opponent in a war.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Defection just means she left the US but the person talking is mad about it and malding.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 3, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It's the term she used to describe it in her interview with Sputnik announcing it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think even the authors of this bill knew that it wasn't going to survive a court challenge

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1665065690506711040?s=20

I remember when this passed a few months ago people noted that it could be used to shut down things like Shakespeare in the Park, but was clearly intended to be used only for things they didn't like

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I AM GRANDO posted:

Yes, and I'd even say quite obviously yes.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

Defection just means she left the US but the person talking is mad about it and malding.

I realize this is D&D and I'd eat a probe if I just replied to this with ":qq:", so I'll say it in different words: being this deliberately obtuse about using the word "defection" says more about your personal salt level than anything else. Regardless of your political positions or beliefs on the rightness of it, relations between Russia and the US are frosty enough to call this a defection, especially as it seems that both Reade and the Russians are more than happy to exploit her prominence for political purposes.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I remember when this passed a few months ago people noted that it could be used to shut down things like Shakespeare in the Park, but was clearly intended to be used only for things they didn't like

Meanwhile every Shakespeare nerd knows that if those idiots actually knew what Shakespeare was talking about half the time, they'd hate it just as much.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Robviously posted:

Meanwhile every Shakespeare nerd knows that if those idiots actually knew what Shakespeare was talking about half the time, they'd hate it just as much.

They already hate Shakespeare because they don’t understand what he’s talking about. Literacy isn’t their chief target right now, but they sure don’t like it being taught beyond what they think of as job skills.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I feel like there would be an internal conflict between their anti-intellectualism and their desire to promote Western/white culture as fundamentally superior.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I AM GRANDO posted:

They already hate Shakespeare because they don’t understand what he’s talking about. Literacy isn’t their chief target right now, but they sure don’t like it being taught beyond what they think of as job skills.

Pretty sure their main takeaway from Shakespeare is that it's reasonable to want to date a 14 year old girl.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty
13, if we're speaking about Juliet. :v:

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think even the authors of this bill knew that it wasn't going to survive a court challenge

They often do. The point of a hateful law like that is to terrorize, dehumanize, and encourage violence against the target. As the social standing of the target group continues to fall, then they start expecting the laws they make to pass. The erosion of people's faith in their own safety where they live is a powerful place to start when your end goal is their extermination.

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

Oh word?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Every single line of female dialogue written by Shakespeare was crafted with the specific intention that it be delivered by a dude in drag.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Ershalim posted:

They often do. The point of a hateful law like that is to terrorize, dehumanize, and encourage violence against the target. As the social standing of the target group continues to fall, then they start expecting the laws they make to pass. The erosion of people's faith in their own safety where they live is a powerful place to start when your end goal is their extermination.

You're leaving out another critical element of these efforts - even if the law is overturned by the courts, any behaviors (in this case, drag shows) they end permanently are still a win. The law doesn't matter if they're able to partially accomplish their goals anyway.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Clarste posted:

I feel like there would be an internal conflict between their anti-intellectualism and their desire to promote Western/white culture as fundamentally superior.

The old guard are hypocrites and just say poo poo for votes. The new guard actually believe anti-intellectualism is Western/white culture and that it is fundamentally superior.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Clarste posted:

It's the exact same type of thinking as being a self-made millionaire off "borrowing" $1 million from daddy a few times for failed ventures before stumbling rear end first into a stable income stream. It's easy to look down on others as you dig a hole, if you start on top of a butte.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
As a real selfmade man, I prefer to finish on the butte

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Failed Imagineer posted:

As a real selfmade man, I prefer to finish on the butte
Well you certainly aren't going to make anyone else that way.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Clarste posted:

I feel like the cultural superiority of western civilization thing has dropped out of the discourse, at least with regard to art or learning. They’re interested in burning the universities and just loving dumb poo poo on tv now. It’s only the weird nerd fascists like Hawley who give a poo poo about the western tradition now.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Some of the older guys at work have come around to the idea that there is a racist misogynist old white man haunting the spirit of Americans, and blame the culture war on that (admitting that they themselves are old and/or white and don't understand things like Trans and non-binary, or social media). I'd say this is an improvement from, say, ten years ago when people in that demographic would scoff when I called America a racist country.

As encouraging as those realizations are, I think they don't recognize the influence and failure of the two party system wrt the culture war. Our prejudiced ignorance, our hate and fear of the "other" is there, but it is in the interest of the representative power structures we have to keep us divided. Social media and its algorithms and echo chambers have made this much easier. We're encouraged, practically forced, go take sides and identify with a team, and ultimately be indoctrinated into the paradigms of our status quo. That then let's people hold positions like "well I'm not one of those racist idiot rednecks, but I think this time BLM/METOO/the gays and trans went too far." But our structures are not really representative at all. People don't vote rationally, we're voting for our team, we're voting against the other guy, and we get performstive signaling governance to hoist these banners instead of things most people actually want and need.

It's not a conspiracy, and the American voters (and non voters) aren't blameless either. It's just the natural result of our motives and methods. We are captured in this, and I'm not sure how there could ever be a mass united labor movement when we are so easily driven to otherize people and lump them into "that team". I've had people accuse me of being a liberal, a libertarian, a trump supporter, just from their interpretation of one point or another. "BAM you're in a box, and I already know how I feel about the people in that box." Not saying it's new, it's just no accident and more effective than ever.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BRJurgis posted:

Some of the older guys at work have come around to the idea that there is a racist misogynist old white man haunting the spirit of Americans, and blame the culture war on that (admitting that they themselves are old and/or white and don't understand things like Trans and non-binary, or social media). I'd say this is an improvement from, say, ten years ago when people in that demographic would scoff when I called America a racist country.

As encouraging as those realizations are, I think they don't recognize the influence and failure of the two party system wrt the culture war. Our prejudiced ignorance, our hate and fear of the "other" is there, but it is in the interest of the representative power structures we have to keep us divided. Social media and its algorithms and echo chambers have made this much easier. We're encouraged, practically forced, go take sides and identify with a team, and ultimately be indoctrinated into the paradigms of our status quo. That then let's people hold positions like "well I'm not one of those racist idiot rednecks, but I think this time BLM/METOO/the gays and trans went too far." But our structures are not really representative at all. People don't vote rationally, we're voting for our team, we're voting against the other guy, and we get performstive signaling governance to hoist these banners instead of things most people actually want and need.

It's not a conspiracy, and the American voters (and non voters) aren't blameless either. It's just the natural result of our motives and methods. We are captured in this, and I'm not sure how there could ever be a mass united labor movement when we are so easily driven to otherize people and lump them into "that team". I've had people accuse me of being a liberal, a libertarian, a trump supporter, just from their interpretation of one point or another. "BAM you're in a box, and I already know how I feel about the people in that box." Not saying it's new, it's just no accident and more effective than ever.

It’s probably more that the structure of our democratic process doesn’t allow us to have more than two choices, which means that you’re forced into one of two possible coalitions if you want to participate at all. The range of possibility is so narrow that there are many places where a person might have strong desires for change (unions and worker rights, uhc, ubi, a strong safety net, free college, fighting climate change, sustainable energy, affordable housing, public transit, livable cities) but discovers that the supposed alternative to the violent reactionary coalition doesn’t allow any of these things to be investigated either.

But yes, people accepting the two-party nature of their system by embracing one of the two parties as an identity is a real problem. Doing so probably makes the complexity of the world and its problems feel much more manageable as well.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Last I checked the UK has more than 2 parties and is Transphobia Island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

koolkal posted:

Last I checked the UK has more than 2 parties and is Transphobia Island

Two parties-plus. In the long run the other parties rarely matter*. The reason why the UK has a slew of minor parties with actual representation is because their single-member districts are a lot smaller than the US', so things like regional politics and cultural differences can matter a lot more when it comes to elections. But overall it's the Tories and Labour and no one else.

*The SNP destroying Labour's stronghold in Scotland has had a pretty profound effect on UK politics. And I don't mean that as a slam against the SNP, if I lived there I'd probably vote for them too but losing Scotland has made it a hell of a lot harder for Labour to win national elections. Imagine if California started voting for the Californian National Party and how that'd affect Democratic chances in Congress and the Presidency.