Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Yeah, in the interview they mentioned that his one-handed time is actually competitive with people's two-handed times, somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Bremen posted:

I really enjoyed the Summoning Salt video on the tricks they use to try to get the minimum physically possible time.

Mario is looking to be minimum physically possible at least

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..
What an impressive run. And getting the flagpole glitch onehanded too!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
What made them go nuts just now? I must have blinked and missed what was so impressive about jumping onto that flag pole.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

one handed flagpole glitch lmfao this run rocks

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Just a guy playing a game one handed while excitedly grabbing a pole

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Kestral posted:

What made them go nuts just now? I must have blinked and missed what was so impressive about jumping onto that flag pole.

Flagpole glitch - a glitch where you clip through the bottom of the flagpole so the flag doesn't come down, which saves a few seconds. It can be quite hard. Quite hard with two hands, I mean.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kestral posted:

flagpole glitch is a really difficult glitch that saves a minimal amount of time and is only even really attempted at the very highest levels of smb1 speedruns

he just did it one handed

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
19:37, goddamn

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

gtace is a madman, i approve

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

That SMB1 one-handed warpless run is definitely one to watch on the VODs

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah that was a serious enough run for my high speedrun standards.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
It occurs to me that so many of these glitches are discovered only because SMB is maybe the most-played game of all time, and you've got an infinite-monkeys-infinite-typewriters effect going where every event, no matter how improbable, has likely happened at least once. Which makes me wonder about one of those unanswerable questions: what's the greatest speedgame that nobody knows is actually a great speedgame? The greatest glitch that will never be discovered or popularized because the game itself won't be played enough to uncover it? All these world records lost, like tears in the rain~

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Shoutouts to insulin: Hyyype

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Shoutouts to the wall of Pringles

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The two go hand in hand

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Kestral posted:

It occurs to me that so many of these glitches are discovered only because SMB is maybe the most-played game of all time, and you've got an infinite-monkeys-infinite-typewriters effect going where every event, no matter how improbable, has likely happened at least once. Which makes me wonder about one of those unanswerable questions: what's the greatest speedgame that nobody knows is actually a great speedgame? The greatest glitch that will never be discovered or popularized because the game itself won't be played enough to uncover it? All these world records lost, like tears in the rain~

On the other hand, it's kind of awesome because it means there's always something new to discover, even in popular games.

During the (I think) Majora's Mask run, someone mentioned that they were using a glitch that had been discovered three days before.

Heck, they just figured out there was a two-player mode in Super Punch Out last year, and that game is nearly 30 years old. That one's not applicable to speedrunning, but it's evidence that even well-loved games are still hiding some secrets.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
They just discovered that SotN skip to destroy that one bridge by pressing a button on the player 2 controller pretty recently, too

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

That's alot of plushies. red flag. I trust kirbymastah tho, he tends to be good.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Kestral posted:

I can't imagine there are that many glitches that can compare to the Super Mario World credit warp for the title of greatest.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

torchic is my favorite fire emblem character

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I love Fire Emblem. Speed runs skipping all of the battles, map movements, and cutscenes, so it's just a series of loading screens and level up procs sucks rear end.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I get it's a speedrun but this guy doing commentary is talking wayyyyy too fast for me to follow what he's saying

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Kestral posted:

Randomizers have been interesting for how often new bugs and strats are found by randomizer players that roll back into the speed run.

Randomizers also provide a new life for glitches that aren’t used in modern speed runs.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Cernunnos posted:

Shoutouts to the wall of Pringles

?? They showed the shrine??

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Chainclaw posted:

Randomizers have been interesting for how often new bugs and strats are found by randomizer players that roll back into the speed run.

Randomizers also provide a new life for glitches that aren’t used in modern speed runs.

make a sonic adventure randomizer so that all of big's crazy tech that isn't useful at all can be used there

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Kestral posted:

There's an obscure Creatures PS1 game that has been forgotten even by the series' fans because it's a pale imitation of better games. It has some neat speed tech that allows unlocking levels early by throwing an egg into a key-crafting machine that was likely cloned from the previous game's egg incubator, turning a 6+ hour casual run into a sub half hour speedrun

Unfortunately all the speed tech in the world can't change the fact that the gameplay consists entirely of spamming "come here!" and waiting for your pets to slowly walk over where you want them to be, and I don't think even an all-star couch commentary could make that fun to watch for 30 minutes

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

I love Fire Emblem. Speed runs skipping all of the battles, map movements, and cutscenes, so it's just a series of loading screens and level up procs sucks rear end.

I like RPG runs as a rule, but yeah the FE runs specifically always seem like big misses to me because the way the game works it ends up just being a noisy series of attack noises and level up screens. It's like if I watched a speedrun of nothing but menu'ing for an hour.

That said this is only an hour long which is pretty cool for a FE game.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

SeXReX posted:

?? They showed the shrine??

Very briefly

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i can only imagine what nonsense this pokemon run is gonna be given both the structure and busted-ness of scarlet and violet

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
They made a PS1 port of Creatures??? I played that game an eternity ago on the PC. What on earth is the win condition for a speedrun? There's no goal.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i can only imagine what nonsense this pokemon run is gonna be given both the structure and busted-ness of scarlet and violet

What are your feelings on candy

Edit: I would like to feed a lizard a sandwich

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I know violet is jank as gently caress but you know I really like it anyway. It's got some stuff going for it despite the jank. I love that the legendary is an actual character in the story who has a character arc and poo poo rather than just the thing you catch right before the final boss.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

YggiDee posted:

They made a PS1 port of Creatures??? I played that game an eternity ago on the PC. What on earth is the win condition for a speedrun? There's no goal.

They made two PS1 Creatures games and they both suck! But not as bad as the GBA port that tries to fit a massive game world on a tiny screen and doesn't even have music!

The first PS1 game doesn't have a win condition as far as I know, you can unlock new worlds by breeding more Norns but there isn't an ending. The second game (Raised in Space) does have an ending screen that you get by unlocking all doors, which involves training all your Norns to wander the Ark collecting stars to put into a key-crafting machine. It's a very weird take on the series but since the PS1/GBA games don't have the complex biochemistry and genetics, I guess they needed to make something for the player to do.

I can think of only two people who cared enough about Raised in Space to record a full playthrough, and one of those people was me using glitches to avoid playing as much of it as possible.

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 3, 2023

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Agent355 posted:

I know violet is jank as gently caress but you know I really like it anyway. It's got some stuff going for it despite the jank. I love that the legendary is an actual character in the story who has a character arc and poo poo rather than just the thing you catch right before the final boss.

Violet was the first Pokemon I'd played since Red, and it blew me away. If you come at it without prior expectations for a Pokemon game, it's a complete masterpiece. The writing is even good, somehow! Nemona's relationship with the main character is genuinely touching, and Clavell is an inspiration.

Also: the music in S/V loving slaps.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
S/V has a lot of issues but I had a blast playing it nonetheless; when I did a minor skip by jumping across a river at just the right angle I felt so cool. Also Clive is real and my friend

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah, the jank is entirely in the framerate issues and the clipping and weirdness and stuff that you will 100% run into. The rest of the game is cool and good tho IMO.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
If you throw a fight against Nemona instead of trying your heart out, are you really cut out to be Pokémon master? :colbert:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Those restaraunt goers are loving dead now

Also Larry owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I namedropped Clive because I was trying to remember my favorite character but I forgot Larry existed. Which is probably just how he'd prefer it