Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
i face tanked the Butcher but I'm on WT1 because I am a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm enjoying Frost Nova on my sorcerer. The freeze effect on enemies is fun, and it also provides good support for my friend I'm playing with (he's a druid). Only issue is when he uses his knockback skills right before I'm about to use Frost Nova and mistakenly knocks them out of its range.

George H.W. oval office posted:

The enemies telegraph their moves way ahead of time or have a giant rear end marked ring or line. As long as you can see with your eyes and react appropriately then you’ll be okay. When those moves hit though they can absolutely pack a punch or in the case of a herd of goat men, stunlock you to death.

My buddy is doing his first play through as a tanky druid on T1 and even the butcher didn’t give him too much trouble. Just be careful.

It can still be pretty easy to miss stuff when there's a lot of enemies, though. Just a lot of stuff happening on the screen. I've died once, and I'm not even sure what killed me. There was just a large group of enemies and I suddenly died before I could register how much damage I was taking.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Stux posted:

does hardcore not let you skip the campaign after first clear?

I think it does, but it's not at all clear to me what other side stuff would basically need to be redone on a new char, or how to 'quickly' level up a new char (since no gem of ease, monsters scale to your level, pack densities are unimpressive, I have no idea what the endgame partying mechanic is when making a new char, etc).

Pain of Mind posted:

Thanks, that is too bad. D3 was pretty fair where if you did not get overzealous with torment level you could control your fate pretty well, but in the time I played D4 during one of the betas it seemed like there were many more unavoidable stuns or other things that took your control away.

Do you at least unlock adventure mode equivalent for HC, or would you still need to play through the whole campaign again?

at least one website says finishing the campaign on EITHER hc or sc unlocks it on hc side, but I don't know for sure.

honestly the game is not hard so far, I only died once in softcore in beta (world boss) and once so far in release (playing way reckless in a way I would never in hc). butcher was a bit touch and go but I survived.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I weirdly haven't run into the butcher yet and I'm level 47 and WT2 and have done every single thing there is to do in act 1 area lol

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
The most dangerous situations I’ve seen so far are regular big guys who can stun paired with an elite that can freeze or fear. Can get you in a bad place fast. I’ve died a bunch of times on wt2 but I’d guess HC won’t be terrible on wt1. I’ll definitely try to get the reach 50 trophy at some point.

I finished act 3 before 2 but I figure it makes the most sense to go sequentially because I am assuming act 4 picks up right after 3 since you barely touch that zone.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
playing on t2 in act 2 as a necro and i think i've died like once. The bloodform power you get is an incredible "gently caress this poo poo i'm out" ability. Bone spear is stupid strong and maxxing the passive that makes corpse consumption generate shitloads of essence makes it very easy to just keep on pumping out super powerful bone spears that completely gently caress up single targets while also piercing. It rules that this is the exact same combo of abilities that brought me to the top of the ladder once as a necromancer in d2 many, many moons ago. If I can find room in this build for bone prison I'll be all set. Probably after I get rid of the skeletons.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
im on wt1 :D

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

goferchan posted:

https://maxroll.gg/d4/resources/hidden-rare-items

This is cool, and was news to me. Basically special "unique" rare items that drop from named mobs and can roll special affixes. They can still be enchanted and imprinted like normal.

I noticed there was a hidden boss that dropped a leg for me around Act IV when you're walking around the vault with Donan if you walk up to a door, he opens it, says a little something about a spirit being locked up in there, and there's an easy encounter to kill a named. Now I'm wondering if there was anything else like that in the campaign that I missed.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Oh yea HC also has a cheat death elixir. Just make sure to drink it and craft it a bunch

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I died to the act 1 story boss. In hindsight it was a really stupid death but I didn't know what to expect from the fight. I wouldn't do hardcore without knowing all of the campaign bosses at the very least, either by doing them yourself or looking up the fights.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

guess they just forgot to do this one

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ready to do the first cap stone dungeon, lets see how badly this goes. :hellyeah:

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

The animal caves and town sewers your mortal hero spelunks to look so gorgeous for how absolutely horrific they must smell.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I ran into the butcher at level 15 on wt1 on my druid and got my cheeks clapped

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
What’s the story with the pvp zone? I went there, turned on pvp, killed a bunch of poo poo, never saw any other players, then converted my currency at one of the altars. But I only saw vendors for transmog and scrolls to help in the zone itself?

Monster density was insane there, dwarfed the whole rest of the game.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember
Welp lost a level 49 sorc on hardcore to the capstone dungeon boss. LPT that poo poo is much harder than anything else so far. If I was doing it again I would’ve fast tpd out when I saw how much damage his attacks do.

ultrachrist posted:

What’s the story with the pvp zone? I went there, turned on pvp, killed a bunch of poo poo, never saw any other players, then converted my currency at one of the altars. But I only saw vendors for transmog and scrolls to help in the zone itself?

Monster density was insane there, dwarfed the whole rest of the game.

Bout to run my freshly rolled third hardcore character there sounds great. Will post an update once I get murdered 😎

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
17 min queue? pre-order canceled

Jaytan posted:

Welp lost a level 49 sorc on hardcore to the capstone dungeon boss. LPT that poo poo is much harder than anything else so far. If I was doing it again I would’ve fast tpd out when I saw how much damage his attacks do.

Bout to run my freshly rolled third hardcore character there sounds great. Will post an update once I get murdered 😎

yikes!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Are the servers hosed?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I get 3 or 5 minute queues but then it gets stuck at start game pending.

Fun.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Auth servers are hosed atm, I wouldn't put much stock in a queue time right now because nobody can get in so it's backed up. The timer will expire and it won't log you in.

Last update from Blizzard CS
https://twitter.com/BlizzardCS/status/1665094414404837377?s=20

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
i just got in after about a thirty minute wait of the queue bouncing up and down

5er
Jun 1, 2000

explosivo posted:

Auth servers are hosed atm, I wouldn't put much stock in a queue time right now because nobody can get in so it's backed up. The timer will expire and it won't log you in.

Last update from Blizzard CS
https://twitter.com/BlizzardCS/status/1665094414404837377?s=20

Bold of them to assume I'm being patient.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

queeb posted:

ranged rogue isnt very good yeah, even the puncture build which is supposedly good for pushing endgame looks like rear end to play

I remember making it through D3 with my demon hunter on the hardest difficulty before they made the game easier, this is kind of miserable in comparison.

Maybe I'll just make a straight line through the story stuff and think about if I want to keep playing and restart on a sorc or something.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Still instant login for ps5

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My friend and I had a bizarre experience with the queue. We tried logging in at the same time and both had 31 minute queues, but I got in after just 10 minutes while he never got in (and his "remaining time" hopped around a bunch).

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

What’s the fast TP or method to quickly exit? The save exit on D2 and 3 saved my rear end so much when playing HC

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
im still in the game and playing bbwahahahahaha

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Took a break from this to get some flowers, ferns, and groundcover for the planters on my patio; sad to find out after planting my stuff that the servers a bit hosed.

Ah well, I’m looking forward to getting back in and playing with my earth/storm druid. Lucked into a legendary ring that gives me +critical chance on storm spells after casting an earth spell and +critical damage on earth spells after casting a storm. Split nature magic seems way better than just focusing on one tree or the other.

Unlike shapeshifting, which really felt more like you want to focus on either bear or wolf.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Have they definitively said what carries over season to season? Redoing some of this stuff would seem a bit tedious.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anyone playing a Werenoun Druid? How is it? Felt awful to me in the open weekend, but I remember hearing they rebalanced things already so maybe it's good now.

So far I'm enjoying my Storm Druid, only like level 15 though.

Also the game crashed while playing they intro cinematic, which surprised me.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
have they tried turning them off and back on again

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Game is way better than I thought it would be.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Im level 32 as werebear and it works very well. Stack life and Fortify and overpower

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

If you are getting stuck trying to log in then close the entire game and start it up again. Was getting constantly stuck there after I got DCed for inactivity

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

I really really want the legendary that lets you stack to casts of frost nova and the unique that lets frost nova chain. Why can’t we trade? 😭

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

First cap stone dungeon complete! :woop: that wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

15 minute queue?!?!?!!?

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Been stuck at QUEUED FOR GAME....START GAME PENDING... for over an hour now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Ceramics posted:

Been stuck at QUEUED FOR GAME....START GAME PENDING... for over an hour now :(