Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Nenonen posted:

The villain nation in Top Gun: Maverick, the Islamic Republic of Notiran?

The villain nation in Top Gun: Maverick was canada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

I saw some documentary on box jelly fish and two biologist were trying to collect/sample them. naturally they immediately got stung despite their best protective measures. What followed was them laying in the hospital in pain seizures for a week and all doctors could do was keep them hydrated through iv and pump them with as much morphine as they could but it didn't seam to help. So how bad are these in comparison?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Preoptopus posted:

So how bad are these in comparison?

You will die.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Preoptopus posted:

I saw some documentary on box jelly fish and two biologist were trying to collect/sample them. naturally they immediately got stung despite their best protective measures. What followed was them laying in the hospital in pain seizures for a week and all doctors could do was keep them hydrated through iv and pump them with as much morphine as they could but it didn't seam to help. So how bad are these in comparison?

Let’s just say that a video as you described with a box jelly would be more of a “found footage” genre with a blue-ringed octopus.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Several species of pufferfish have evolved tetrodotoxin as a poisonous defense mechanism.
It is one of the most deadly poisons in nature, with a lethal dose being a few milligrams.

Blue ringed octopus use it as venom.
They also flash their blue rings as a warning, usually before a bite.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 3, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVqObIauPJA

and dolphins use it as recreational drugs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Preoptopus posted:

The blue-ringed octopus has a tiny beak with a nearly painless bite, and its venom doesn't cause pain. It is a paralytic poison. If you are bitten, all your skeletal muscles will become paralyzed in a matter of minutes, leaving you rapidly unable to move or speak or even look around, but fully conscious and aware of your situation. Death will follow from respiratory paralysis. If you're lucky, and you make it to someone who can help before you are frozen in place and silenced, you can be saved through intubation and artificial respiration while the poison wears off over a day or two.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

thanks for this

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Lovely hardwood floor under that highway.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I bet that's some of the floatiest driving you could ever get with a car with a stiff suspension, holy poo poo

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

My local museum has an engine that's been used in several movies, though not any in that gif:

https://www.borail.org/collection/bo-no-25/

It's really cool. Railroad museums are very OSHA thread, both in the "Cool industrial machinery" sense and in the "There was no OSHA in the old days" sense, like the display with a brakeman's bat that noted it was mostly for levering hand brake wheels that were stuck but was sometimes used as a club, too.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

That must have felt so good.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Preoptopus posted:

You are dead faster than you can imagine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Someone post The Frog

Hey wait I'm a someone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GShYbNBVLQ

frogs are basically just digestive systems with legs.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This isn't NSFW or anything but read the spoiler first if you worry about things.

They don't cut themselves at all.

https://i.imgur.com/iGiYnW5.mp4

Have this if you want instead.

you don't have to double spoiler post a video already posted non single or double spoilered a page ago

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

well, duh. how are you any different

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

KoRMaK posted:

well, duh. how are you any different

Arms.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Selklubber posted:

you don't have to double spoiler post a video already posted non single or double spoilered a page ago

content warning: imagined blood, imagined injury, potential for harm if things had gone differently

people with debilitating anxiety please be warned that nothing happens in this video, which can be accessed by deobfuscating the following link and verifying your age by uploading photo ID.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

gently caress I hate this .gif, it's like a video of someone playing Russian roulette.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

They also taste pretty good

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Sagebrush posted:

its the A-10 design philosophy - you start with a bigass rotary autocannon mouth and you strap a couple of turbofan engines beefy legs to it et voila !

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrQwerty posted:

You will die.

Sometimes they give you CPR as you lie on the beach but you’re staring directly into the Sun and unable to close your eyes, so that is the last thing that you will ever see.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

grittyreboot posted:

Does anyone else just feel sad when you see videos of people loving with dangerous animals or doing parkour on a rooftop, etc. Do you just not value your life?
me when i see people working in an office :(

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rvmr9xOFMI1r0uzl6.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rvms3czSQw1r0uzl6.mp4

sound on
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rvn7avshPZ1uk10e9.mp4

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

That’s like most animals.

https://twitter.com/natlparkservice/status/1665009099715538947?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/OE6pLLK.mp4

Snail of the cloth-of-gold

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Nenonen posted:

The villain nation in Top Gun: Maverick, the Islamic Republic of Notiran?

The Islamic People’s Republic of North Russia

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

I could swear I remember being told this was faked/cgi at some point but i can't find evidence of that. Hugely stupid if true.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Forbidden gyoza

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Lol, just lol if you're not using topo maps.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Lol, just lol if you're not using topo maps.

Just lol if you think the average tourist knows how to read a topo map.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Isn’t that one of those super deadly cone snails that basically shoot out like a poison tipped harpoon if it gets near your skin?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Muerte (?) could have used this advice on his amazing cross country hike he gave up after 20-some miles

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Platystemon posted:

Forbidden gyoza

mmm spicy, like blue takis

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Platystemon posted:

Forbidden gyoza

What are those, used invisalign trays?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Autechresaint posted:

Isn’t that one of those super deadly cone snails that basically shoot out like a poison tipped harpoon if it gets near your skin?

sure is!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conus_textile

NoWake posted:

looks like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_man_o%27_war or a similar sea critter to me

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Autechresaint posted:

If it were that dangerous, I’m sure that it wouldn’t be on this beautiful beach on the Red Sea. :kiddo:

You just want to spoil our holiday. :mad:

NoWake posted:

Portuguese man o’ war

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Autechresaint posted:

Yep. One of my earliest memories is being on a boat tour in a region where those are common, and absolutely losing my poo poo when another tourist picked one up and tried to take it back to the boat. Nobody gave any heed to the freaking out seven year old - except the captain, who also freaked out and flung it back into the sea.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Muerte (?) could have used this advice on his amazing cross country hike he gave up after 20-some miles

Is that the goon who had a rolling luggage case or a cart or something and started off in San Francisco I think?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They’re in the pot intentionally. The guy knows what they are, and it’s not the most hazardous thing he’s eaten.

Kestral posted:

Yep. One of my earliest memories is being on a boat tour in a region where those are common, and absolutely losing my poo poo when another tourist picked one up and tried to take it back to the boat. Nobody gave any heed to the freaking out seven year old - except the captain, who also freaked out and flung it back into the sea.

If I captained a tour boat, I would get like those little wings that airliners but maybe epaulettes or something and declare you Honorary First Officer.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Definitely one of the least animal-looking animals