Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

The meter in the bottom left lets you track the Veil Degradation value. Perils of the Warp is when daemons can appear or psychic backlash can cause damage. Most fights you won't get close to Broken Veil and won't have to worry about your powers harming you. Psykers can also shoot guns/swing melee weapons too, and the Navigator's powers can also lower Veil Degradation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lassitude posted:

The meter in the bottom left lets you track the Veil Degradation value. Perils of the Warp is when daemons can appear or psychic backlash can cause damage. Most fights you won't get close to Broken Veil and won't have to worry about your powers harming you. Psykers can also shoot guns/swing melee weapons too, and the Navigator's powers can also lower Veil Degradation.

The navigator's psyker ability is insane and can clear half a room at once if positioned well. I'm more surprised that it's either untouched or broken, all the discussion about it seemed to indicate some kind of slowly ramping up effects then the full on daemon incursion.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

DaysBefore posted:

They're out there... and I will find them

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

DaysBefore posted:

They're out there... and I will find them

Just keep getting into good fights and they’ll find you

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

pentyne posted:

The navigator's psyker ability is insane and can clear half a room at once if positioned well. I'm more surprised that it's either untouched or broken, all the discussion about it seemed to indicate some kind of slowly ramping up effects then the full on daemon incursion.

It may well be another case of them not having implemented more incremental effects for it yet.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Unless you get demon NPC party members it also heavily restricts some of your best abilities against the toughest enemies. While it is absolutely lore accurate, there's also tons of blessed/holy stuff in the lore as well specifically for combating agents of the warp and I don't know if that is in the game.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Prism posted:

'Every caster is a wild mage, and some of the effects can just straight-up kill you' is not exactly selling me on it being a fun magic system; it was one of the things I was most worried about.

Did they take off effects like 'your head explodes and you die'?

Just Abhor the Witch op.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

pentyne posted:

Unless you get demon NPC party members it also heavily restricts some of your best abilities against the toughest enemies. While it is absolutely lore accurate, there's also tons of blessed/holy stuff in the lore as well specifically for combating agents of the warp and I don't know if that is in the game.

Given the Ministorum Priest occupation (Argenta has this, and it's a PC option) has available talents that specifically grant anti-daemon bonuses, I'd be highly surprised if there aren't weapons or items that do the same.

The veil is also really not an issue unless you're somehow running like a pure psyker composition with no mitigating effects or something. With just one, you can spam a psychic power every single combat round and not even come close to even hitting the first tier, and adding in a second (particularly if it's your Navigator) should be fine too. There will probably be locations with a higher base veil value, but in general it's entirely fine.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 3, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Is the Navigator a Psyker?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

I haven't gotten it yet (currently on the mission), but in the lore and in the tabletop RPG, navigators are psykers, but with unique and powerful abilities rather than using normal psychic disciplines and powers. They also have a much greater degree over their powers than other psykers, and don't suffer the same risk of perils of the warp.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MonsterEnvy posted:

yeah

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Technically yes, but not in the same way 'psyker' is used as a slur/accusation in general terms.

Lore wise, its some kind of "yeah but one of the good kinds" and all the power comes from their magical 3rd eye they use to navigate the warp. Being the literal lynchpin for interstellar travel means that it's an entire system of noble houses, selective breeding, immense political power wielded at the highest levels.

Opening said eye in combat is a cone of death with insane reach and distance compared to all other powers you can have at that level.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I just thought Navigators were Mutants with a weird power not Psykers is all.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Navigators can channel all sorts of warp fuckery through their third eye. In the ttrpg they have an array of unique powers, as they do in this game. Actually their ability to uncover their third eye and do a massive AoE cone of damage is pretty amazing. Great for clearing chaff.

Navigators are 'sanctioned mutants'.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

MonsterEnvy posted:

I just thought Navigators were Mutants with a weird power not Psykers is all.

Functionally the same thing in this case because the mutation is "is a Unique Psyker".

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lassitude posted:

Navigators can channel all sorts of warp fuckery through their third eye. In the ttrpg they have an array of unique powers, as they do in this game. Actually their ability to uncover their third eye and do a massive AoE cone of damage is pretty amazing. Great for clearing chaff.

Navigators are 'sanctioned mutants'.

I think the proper term is Noble Mutant.

Also looked it up. Their eye is considered a psychic power, but they are not considered proper Psykers cause they can never manifest standard psyker abilities, they have the known powers of their third eye and that is it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
they did a really good job on the party members. Argenta especially is great -- a real humanistic zealot. She advocates for children and the downtrodden, is unfailingly positive, backs up the Rogue Trader constantly, and I had to proactively tell her not to put a bolter round in Idira's head the moment the psyker showed even the slightest indication of a loss of control

also helps that she has turns where she mulches through like half the baddies

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

they did a really good job on the party members. Argenta especially is great -- a real humanistic zealot. She advocates for children and the downtrodden, is unfailingly positive, backs up the Rogue Trader constantly, and I had to proactively tell her not to put a bolter round in Idira's head the moment the psyker showed even the slightest indication of a loss of control

also helps that she has turns where she mulches through like half the baddies

Yeah, I like them pretty well too so far. A little note that I liked was that Abelard's background has him being a father (well grand-father even) and widower. A pretty small thing but I like seeing things like this in characters rather than like the stereotypical RPG bunch of young orphaned outcasts (probably more typical of player characters in tabletop games than computer games but still) and what have you.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I really liked the 'resolve the under decks revolution' event, where half of it is managing his feelings ( or not)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

sebmojo posted:

I really liked the 'resolve the under decks revolution' event, where half of it is managing his feelings ( or not)

that was pretty great. I appreciate that they're not shying away from just how loving weird these folks are to us. Abelard's like "??? I don't see the problem, they're deck scum, why are we even talking to them???" and he's one of the more reasonable characters

Yrliet constantly calling the RT a mon'keigh and not even trying to exoticize the pronunciation is hilarious too

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, I like them pretty well too so far. A little note that I liked was that Abelard's background has him being a father (well grand-father even) and widower. A pretty small thing but I like seeing things like this in characters rather than like the stereotypical RPG bunch of young orphaned outcasts (probably more typical of player characters in tabletop games than computer games but still) and what have you.

Widowed? Looks like he's still available for loving.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Aw man I really wanted to play a charisma character since that's usually what I do in these games but looks like its unfinished?

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

god i hope you can get a Ork freeboota on your squad

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'm actually liking ship combat a lot, had some tense fights. Also unlocked a perk that shocks ships in range with warp lightning, but it's bugged and you can use it am infinite amount of times per turn lol. Sorry Eldar but you're annoying so it's time to abuse this

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pattonesque posted:

I had to proactively tell her not to put a bolter round in Idira's head the moment the psyker showed even the slightest indication of a loss of control

Why? She's right :colbert:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

Why? She's right :colbert:

normally she would be but I am the Protagonist in a CRPG so NBD

(I'm not so sure that's gonna be the case in this game tbh)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Are you guys all playing the beta?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's fair to want to wait, bc it's still legit buggy, but it's only $40 and it's a big chunk of game so I imagine a lot of goons have jumped in.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The beta for WOTR was like 4/5ths of the game, there's likely not going to be any major changes besides bugs and glitches.

The launch will likely also be buggy in new ways, WOTR took a month or two to get sorted which was a huge step up front KM being unbeatable for 6 months.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Pattonesque posted:

normally she would be but I am the Protagonist in a CRPG so NBD

(I'm not so sure that's gonna be the case in this game tbh)

So uh, no reason but did you play Wrath of the Righteous and how did you feel about Camellia if so

Absolutely no reason at all.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kingmaker and WotR both taught me that the best way to play Owlcat games was to wait until the Enhanced Edition and first round of DLC are out.

A'course, I tend only to play big RPGs once. I understand that some folks do multiple playthroughs of these games, and I have no idea where they find the time.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Rogue Trader's interesting because stuff like backstory age is so much different from more normal fantasy or even sci-fi settings. Haven't looked through all of them, but in terms of age the PC likely really can vary - the criminal background probably isn't that old for instance, but if you're coming out of Noble you could be anything from young to having quite a few years while still appearing young due to the rejuv treatments many of them use. Commissar is sort of a waves hands one, as it doesn't really specify if you're an experienced one or one that's only been out of the Schola Progenium for a short while. And then there's the Astrum MIlitarum Commander background, where you're a goddamned Lieutenant General. Even assuming you advanced incredibly fast due to super competence/connections/whatever, you're still likely talking late 30s to early 40s, albeit with likely access to rejuv treatments there as well.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
:circlefap: I PERFORMED EXTERMINATUS! :syoon:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CommissarMega posted:

:circlefap: I PERFORMED EXTERMINATUS! :syoon:

Still not a Day One purchase, but even more definitely a purchace.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For serious, I squealed like a little girl when I made it happen :dance: Just up and went "EEEEE!". 40K might have a lot of trash games, but this is definitely not one of them!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So can you bolter the unsanctioned psyker as soon as she does something witchy, or is it a But Thou Must situation?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

So is there any easy way to raise your profit factor?

Just finished the 1:st chapter and my 15 PF is pathetic. Can't afford anything.
Literally got lvl 6 rep with the mechanicus. but can't buy poo poo.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 4, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Lone Badger posted:

So can you bolter the unsanctioned psyker as soon as she does something witchy, or is it a But Thou Must situation?

I haven't got to that bit but I'd be surprised if you can't, game goes fairly hard on stuff like that, there's a classic couple separated by strife scenario and one of the options is to horribly maim the guy for telling you stuff he wasn't supposed to

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

The Chaos space marine fight was a bit underwhelming on Normal difficulty. Durable as hell and funny to see how far my guys go soaring through the air when charged, but he pretty much just charged a few times and then died like a chump. Decent durability, but bad AI and mediocre damage.

Issaries posted:

So is there any easy way to raise your profit factor?

Just finished the 1:st chapter and my 15 PF is pathetic. Can't afford anything.
Literally got lvl 6 rep with the mechanicus. but can't buy poo poo.

I finished chapter 1 with 18 PF. I have no idea how I raised it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.barreldrill.com/warhammer-40000-rogue-trader-preview/

This is the alpha, but still fairly applicable and I'd agree with the points they make