Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
Just saw Across the Spiderverse and was blown away. As things stand I think it's my favourite non-Avengers superhero movie. And I wasn't alone in that opinion.

Also I saw it on an Onyx screen (LED screen instead of a projector) and, man, if you can, see it on one of those. Some scenes just pop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
That movie was awesome, but I have to admit knowing it was a 2-parter beforehand made me keep going "And... this is where it ends!" throughout the entire final 45 minutes or so

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Across the Spider-Verse was loving incredible.

The theater goddamn erupted at the "to be continued" though, lmao. The various references to other Spider-properties also got big reactions, especially the Prowler cameo in the middle.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Goddamn that loving ruled. Like they looked back at the first movie hearing people say it changed the game for animated movies and went "that wasn't even our final form."

Very glad I knew going in that it was only a Part 1 though. I would have been one of those disappointed groaners if not.

Also, Ganke was totally playing the new unreleased Spider-Man 2 game for a bit. Footage we hadn't seen yet.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Unreal movie. More visually impressive than Avatar 2 and made NWH look like dogshit. The scene with Miles and Gwen sitting upside down on the skyscraper ledge gave me goosebumps: one of the best Spider-people moments in all media.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Spider movie good. Go watch. Be happy.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Flash was a fun movie, but Spiderverse outclasses it in every way. If Michael Keaton drags Flash to a better box office, I’m going to be disappointed.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
spiderverse is still a cartoon, so I think the Flash was gonna beat it no matter what, unfortunately.

\/\/\/ooooof

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 3, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Soonmot posted:

spiderverse is still a cartoon, so I think the Flash was gonna beat it no matter what, unfortunately.

Cartoons, women, the elderly.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Was the dialogue really low for you guys? I was having the hardest time hearing what people were saying but the music was crystal clear and loud. I thought it was just my screening but I've had friends tell me the same.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I did appreciate how the new one foregrounds Miles' relationship with Rio, even a little more than with his dad. It felt like she was barely in the first film. And yeah, this one is VERY episodic. First 20 minutes is basically a Spider-Gwen film, then the next 20-30 is a Miles movie, and THEN the multiverse stuff starts in earnest. I also think it puts a hat on a hat a little towards the end and tries to set up the cliffhanger like 3 times when it would've been fine to end the movie 5 minutes earlier.

Sequel speculation based on plot stuff:So the twist is gonna be that Miguel 'breaking canon' had nothing to do with why that world imploded, it was because he didn't act as Spider-Man to stop the collider or whatever in that world, right? Basically abandoned the 'great power/responsibility' creed, which Miles is refusing to do.

Cameo: So Gambino is MCU Prowler for realsies?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

JT Smiley posted:

Was the dialogue really low for you guys? I was having the hardest time hearing what people were saying but the music was crystal clear and loud. I thought it was just my screening but I've had friends tell me the same.

Seemed normal to me

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hobie was the worst victim of the sound mix for me. I only caught about half his lines.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Cameo: So Gambino is MCU Prowler for realsies?

He's a Prowler somewhere in the multiverse, but not necessarily in the MCU universe. He could be Prowler in the Venomverse or Morbiverse, for instance.

Dialog volume seemed fine to me, too.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Maybe it's just a problem at my theater. There was this weird filter on the dialogue in my screening that made everything sound low and somewhat distorted. At first I thought it was just how things sounded in Gwen's world, but then it was like that for every world.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Hobie was the worst victim of the sound mix for me. I only caught about half his lines.

Are you sure that was the mix, or was it Kaluuya going all in on the south-east London accent and slang?

EDIT: I am a little bummed at how hard they're going on the 'all the Spider-peeps are along' thing, when Miles usually has Ganke and sometimes other characters in his book, and at least early on Gwen was close with her friends like MJ in her band. Like, Spider-Man is not a loner, he's not frickin' Batman.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Gaz-L posted:

Are you sure that was the mix, or was it Kaluuya going all in on the south-east London accent and slang?

EDIT: I am a little bummed at how hard they're going on the 'all the Spider-peeps are along' thing, when Miles usually has Ganke and sometimes other characters in his book, and at least early on Gwen was close with her friends like MJ in her band. Like, Spider-Man is not a loner, he's not frickin' Batman.

Sooooo you're saying Miles should stick to the cannon?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

I assumed it was because I don’t speak roadman

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

For anyone who saw the 90s TAS and knows how big of a deal the Neogenic Recombinator was for one whole season, I'm reminded of that with how it seems the Collider is central to this whole Miles trilogy.

JT Smiley posted:

Supposedly it's a theatre-by-theatre thing. What didn't help is that the voiceovers have an echo effect added.

Gaz-L posted:

I also think it puts a hat on a hat a little towards the end and tries to set up the cliffhanger like 3 times when it would've been fine to end the movie 5 minutes earlier.

I really liked the ending. Spoilers for the ending of this film and oddly enough, the new Fast & Furious:

The main problem of the film is a classic Trolley Problem so we get this tough question of how Miles is supposed to win overall, and the movie gives us a glimmer of hope with Capt. Stacy's resignation but then the threats are layered on again with Miles being out of his dimension, and up against himself, and a reminder that Spot is now like an Avengers-tier bad guy. The deck is crazily stacked against him with multiple tough problems whereas the ending of Fast X was really just on the level of a TV show episode. Like, he saves his kid from the flood and that's it. Once he gets out of that situation in the first five minutes he's left with the task of talking down Dante and that doesn't seem that big of a deal.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
From a purely artistic standpoint, Spider-verse makes every other 3D animated movie look like dogshit in comparison.

In the normally quite reserved Scottish cinema I saw the movie in, live-action prowler got a huge reaction from the audience.

The little editors notes and Ben Riley were probably my favourite little things.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JT Smiley posted:

Sooooo you're saying Miles should stick to the cannon?

I'm saying having all your friends be work friends is not a good thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

For anyone who saw the 90s TAS and knows how big of a deal the Neogenic Recombinator was for one whole season, I'm reminded of that with how it seems the Collider is central to this whole Miles trilogy.

Supposedly it's a theatre-by-theatre thing. What didn't help is that the voiceovers have an echo effect added.

I really liked the ending. Spoilers for the ending of this film and oddly enough, the new Fast & Furious:

The main problem of the film is a classic Trolley Problem so we get this tough question of how Miles is supposed to win overall, and the movie gives us a glimmer of hope with Capt. Stacy's resignation but then the threats are layered on again with Miles being out of his dimension, and up against himself, and a reminder that Spot is now like an Avengers-tier bad guy. The deck is crazily stacked against him with multiple tough problems whereas the ending of Fast X was really just on the level of a TV show episode. Like, he saves his kid from the flood and that's it. Once he gets out of that situation in the first five minutes he's left with the task of talking down Dante and that doesn't seem that big of a deal.

I agree with that assessment for the most part, I just think the movie establishes those things about 3-4 times in that sequence and I got Return Of The King vibes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Rohan Kishibe posted:

From a purely artistic standpoint, Spider-verse makes every other 3D animated movie look like dogshit in comparison.

It's really insane. I thought Arcane was personally the best looking animated thing I've ever seen, but Across the Spiderverse is just on a completely different level than even that. Than even the first movie! I appreciate that things like Arcane, Puss in Boots, and the new TMNT are trying to push the medium of course, all of those look amazing, but now I want every animation studio to look at ATS and at least make an attempt to go that hard. I was actually pretty okay with how Wish looked when Disney first showed the trailer, but now I'm going to be judging it, maybe unfairly, against this movie and it's not even gonna be close. No other animated thing comes close to this

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I think the core of the third film is going to be that Miles can’t have a canon event if he himself isn’t canon

E:
saw 60s Spidey and Spectacular Spidey, obviously, but no 90s Spidey?

Sockser fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 3, 2023

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Cartoons, women, the elderly.

People minding their business in their own homes

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

In terms of pure maximalism, go-for-broke storytelling, the movie AtSV most reminds me of is, honestly, Everything Everywhere All at Once, and I'm emphatically not saying that because of the similar multiverse plots.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Arist posted:

In terms of pure maximalism, go-for-broke storytelling, the movie AtSV most reminds me of is, honestly, Everything Everywhere All at Once, and I'm emphatically not saying that because of the similar multiverse plots.

I wouldn't say no to a Michelle Yeoh version of spider woman.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

AtSV is the first time I’ve been tempted to see a movie in the theater twice since the first Avengers.

The character design in just the Museum scene was enough to tempt me. Maybe it’s on an IMAX around here somewhere.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gaz-L posted:

It straight-up sucks that the MCU stole Ganke to give to Peter but since Homecoming and ITSV development overlapped I don't know if it actually had a part to play in downgrading Ganke to barely more than an extra.

But Peter was also slow to have friends. He didn't meet Harry until college and in the Ultimate comics his friend was also the love interest, which is what they're doing here with Miles as well.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gaz-L posted:

Ganke himself, here at least, doesn't really seem like he's at all interested in forming friendships or even acknowledging Miles as like a buddy. Hes pretty clearly not interested in being The Guy In The Chair at least.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JT Smiley posted:

The very beginning had really low dialogue but after that it seemed to fix itself.

This is definitely one of those movies people are going to have fun with when it comes home because there was a lot of stuff that was hard to make out since it passed by so quick.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I will say about the ending is that I thought the reveal was a little bit too drawn out considering you see the Go Home machine display showing that he's going to Earth 42.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'm jealous of my wife who went into the movie totally blind and got to enjoy it fresh. She was tearing up at Rio's talk with Miles and it didn't hit me as hard cause I'd already seen it from the first trailer. Definitely going radio silent for part 2.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sockser posted:

I think the core of the third film is going to be that Miles can’t have a canon event if he himself isn’t canon

E:
saw 60s Spidey and Spectacular Spidey, obviously, but no 90s Spidey?

I don't know if he's actually in any shots since there are a thousand to look at but technically Spider-Man Unlimited is supposed to be the same character.

JT Smiley posted:

I'm jealous of my wife who went into the movie totally blind and got to enjoy it fresh. She was tearing up at Rio's talk with Miles and it didn't hit me as hard cause I'd already seen it from the first trailer. Definitely going radio silent for part 2.

The speech didn't do anything for me in the trailer but it was a lot more powerful in the film. Definitely had a lump in my throat.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Just back from a Batman 89/The Flash double bill. Against all my expectations, I rather enjoyed The Flash. A fun time travel romp although yeah, it is guilty of CG overload in the final act as these things are wont to do these days but can’t deny kid me was kinda thrilled to see my man back in action again. And Ezra does well with emotional centre and the twin Barrys bouncing off each other.

Oddly enough, they said it may not be the final film - talking about cutting it close, goddamn.

As for the Q&A, I got the distinct impression Michael Keaton was suffering from CG and greenscreen fatigue too because he sounded super happy about all the practical stuff and puppetry they’re doing with Beetlejuice again, said it’s the most fun he’s had in years.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

JT Smiley posted:

Maybe it's just a problem at my theater. There was this weird filter on the dialogue in my screening that made everything sound low and somewhat distorted. At first I thought it was just how things sounded in Gwen's world, but then it was like that for every world.

I even did the fancy Dolby, and the dialogue didn't sound great. Even the AMC thing with Nicole Kidman before the movie started sounded slightly off.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Open Marriage Night posted:

Even the AMC thing with Nicole Kidman before the movie started sounded slightly off.

Please stand for the national anthem. We come to this place…

Gaz-L posted:

I’m from London, he just mumbled a lot.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hot drat that was cool! 1602 Vulture owned, Hobie kicked rear end, and Sienkiewicz Spot loving ruled

Sockser posted:

I kept expecting the glitching to be somehow beneficial to him, I wouldn't be surprised if that crops up somewhere

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 4, 2023

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Can it be March 2024 right the gently caress now

Probably going to have to go through the same thing again in a month with Mission Impossible. At least Dune is wrapping up this year.

Anyway, movie goddamn ruled, and if the third part sticks the landing (and I don't see why it wouldn't) this will be an all time great trilogy. Not much to say that others haven't, this was just a joy to watch, excellently animated, and my audience was really into it too. Saw it in Dolby so audio generally wasn't an issue, but even then Hobie could be difficult to pick up on at times so I think that might be the movie's mixing issue.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Endless Mike posted:

He's a Prowler somewhere in the multiverse, but not necessarily in the MCU universe. He could be Prowler in the Venomverse or Morbiverse, for instance.

Dialog volume seemed fine to me, too.

He's in the credits as MCU Prowler