Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Obama was never president in the Fallout timeline because Star Trek didn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Star Trek existed but it was the Terran Empire time line not the Federation one.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Another cool example of reactive gameplay: If Veronica decides to leave the BoS, she won't come inside the bunker with you.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Btw, if you're not following Tim Cain's youtube channel he's still posting interesting stuff daily. 2 days ago he revealed that he left Fallout 2 because Brian Fargo stiffed him out of a bonus as punishment because there was a bad bug that took ages to get resolved and Cain refused to say which programmer's fault it was. 1 day ago, to balance it out, he revealed that the "Brian Fargo presents" in the intro was actually added by the team to acknowledge his contributions and Fargo himself wasn't a big fan of it. Today he's got an hour long chat with Leonard Boyarsky that I'm going to get stuck into as soon as I have an hour spare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egh2p8ajb3w

Tim is like the most wholesome person in the industry - thanks for pointing to his channel. These are great!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Is there a fix for the game closing to black screen?
I had it on my last install and now running the TOTW pack its come back.

There is a pseudo fix by alt+tabbing which allows me to winkey+tab and then task manager.
But its a pain.

Have tried a few mod addons for NVSE that supposedly fix it, but still happens.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 2, 2023

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I watched a friend play New Vegas for the first time and I noticed that she spends much less time in the inventory than I do. I'm used to carrying around half a dozen weapons for any situation, and opening the aid inventory to take all the chems and healing items I have whenever a fight looks tough. Instead, I've started a playthrough with a personal rule to only use the Pipboy when I'm indoors and out of combat. The game is more enjoyable and a lot more challenging this way. Running out of Stimpaks is an actual concern.

With this character, I collected 50 Star bottlecaps and picked up Pew Pew at level 6, which shot me all the way to level 8. There are a lot of those bottlecaps if you know where to look. I never even saw Malcolm Holmes - maybe he simply never spawned, or maybe I was too fast for him to catch up to me. In any case, I have this gun, and it's a great weapon except for how quickly it burns through ammo. It uses five energy cells per shot, and even with Vigilant Recycler, I only get one of them back each time.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
I restored Cass's barks and she still talks about 100000% less than God/Dog does

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mr. Maggy posted:

I restored Cass's barks and she still talks about 100000% less than God/Dog does

Almost got away, and then the idiot's hunger screws it up.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Air smells like copper...or old world gold.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I only ever really use one gun I like and some grenades, maybe a backup heavy weapon for scary stuff, and usually forget consumables unless it's for a skill check or healing

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I tried doing a realistic playthrough where I carried a rifle, pistol and 30 lbs max of stuff but never finished it

I’m sure it’s doable, just gotta go home a lot and plan for the next day

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's very liberating

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Look at what they need to mimic a fraction of Fallout 4 Survival Mode.

Sadly FNV is just this way, it's never too challenging and even when it is most of the tools are not that useful. You can switch weapons and ammo for marginal improvements against a specific enemy, or you can shoot them couple more times.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The White Glove's charter's section about not consuming human flesh has people asking a lot questions already answered by the charter.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ilitarist posted:

Look at what they need to mimic a fraction of Fallout 4 Survival Mode.

Sadly FNV is just this way, it's never too challenging and even when it is most of the tools are not that useful. You can switch weapons and ammo for marginal improvements against a specific enemy, or you can shoot them couple more times.

The challenging part of Fallout 4's Survival Mode is getting killed instantly by explosives. In New Vegas, nothing can kill you instantly except a Deathclaw or a trap. In any game where the player has healing items and the ability to retreat from combat, a cautious player is very difficult to kill.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Where does everyone setup home base for ? I like using a motel room at Novac

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

whydirt posted:

The Novac room really does have everything you need and you don't have to fight a pack of deathclaws to get to it.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Novac at first, then usually the Lucky 38 since it's easy to swap out companions and it has a workbench etc after a cheap upgrade

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I use Goodsprings/the dumpster outside of Chet's. Only thing it's missing is a convenient campfire.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Alhazred posted:

The Novac room really does have everything you need and you don't have to fight a pack of deathclaws to get to it.

Same. It's in a convenient location, has a decent vendor, and the sketchiest doctor in the Wasteland.
The room's containers make sense, too. Safe, wardrobe, footlocker, and fridge.

I don't spend much time around the safehouses, Victor's shack is a bit out of the way, and console load times make the Lucky 38 a PITA.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

madeintaipei posted:

Same. It's in a convenient location, has a decent vendor, and the sketchiest doctor in the Wasteland.
The room's containers make sense, too. Safe, wardrobe, footlocker, and fridge.

I don't spend much time around the safehouses, Victor's shack is a bit out of the way, and console load times make the Lucky 38 a PITA.

Big fan of that doctor, and their special doctor secret:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2-5vJQqaBY&t=27s

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think the negative about Novac is that the crafting benches are a bit of a walk from the motel room and there isn't a campfire. Naturally when I got the game on PC the first thing I did was install a mod that added all types of crafting stations to the motel room itself

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Novac to start with and then move everything straight into The Sink once I get to OWB. The motel room really is fine but once you get The Sink it's got everything you need and then some, especially the virtually unlimited stimpacks from the bio research station

Paper Tiger posted:

The secret "not enough money" dialogues are the best thing in the game. Virtually nobody has less than 50 caps less than 15 minutes into the game so they're almost impossible to come by. The best one is if you're low intelligence and broke you can hire Dazzle the prostitute, underpay her, and when she complains to you the next time you talk to you, you can either apologize that you "don't count so good" or laugh that she's even dumber than you are. Or just stare at her vapidly.

Youremother fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 3, 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also where else can you go where all the appliances are so friendly!

Or there is appliances at all!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

whydirt posted:

I dump everything into the Mojave Express drop boxes until I get to Lucky 38 and claim my penthouse.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I still rock Lombard Station every playthrough. None of the other ingame or modded homes have the same level of convinence, compactness, and chill vibes. Back in the day I always used the penthouse even though it was inconvenient as poo poo

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I really wish there were a modern version of the lucky 38 mod that added all the sink AIs into it. They have pretty unique functionalities and almost never show up in player homes so you end up still using the sink as a secondary home otherwise

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i tend to use the followers safe house because i just really like the followers and it’s not too hard to get to

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Paper Tiger posted:

STOP IT.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

God, I'm coming closer and closer to the point of no return when I have to choose a faction:ohdear: And the legion already consider me a "sneering punk".

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Alhazred posted:

God, I'm coming closer and closer to the point of no return when I have to choose a faction:ohdear: And the legion already consider me a "sneering punk".

Don't chose than, let someone else start that mess and just start a new peaceful life as Wind-Brahmin farmer or something.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Yes Man is always the right answer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

dr_rat posted:

Don't chose than, let someone else start that mess and just start a new peaceful life as Wind-Brahmin farmer or something.

Ah! Where did you come from!?

... Right here. Where YOU come from? You buy Wind-Brahmin?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arivia posted:

Yes Man is always the right answer.

I know that that's direction I'm going in, but then the other factions will get mad at me:ohdear:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Alhazred posted:

I know that that's direction I'm going in, but then the other factions will get mad at me:ohdear:

But again then don't chose. You're just a courier, and not even a very good one. Like on your first job you got shot in the head! Just sit back, sink some sunset sarsaparilla and relax. No need to get anyone mad, they'll figure it all out. It's all good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

dr_rat posted:

But again then don't chose. You're just a courier, and not even a very good one. Like on your first job you got shot in the head!

I would argue that delivering a package after I got shot in the head makes me a very good courier.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I would arguing beating to death the person who hired you in the first place with a golf club, still makes you a bad one.

Courier companies tend to look down on that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

dr_rat posted:

I would arguing beating to death the person who hired you in the first place with a golf club, still makes you a bad one.

Courier companies tend to look down on that.

That's after completing the job and off the clock, no need for your leisure activities to show up in your performance review.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

That's after completing the job and off the clock, no need for your leisure activities to show up in your performance review.

Hmm true. Although I agree it is a bit unfair, I think, particular if it happened more than once, it might lead to a bad end of year employee review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the platinum chip delivery is by no means the courier's first job. there's a man addicted to ominous pauses in conversation who makes this very clear