Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I picked up a pair of soundcore life p3 because I liked my p2 and wanted noise cancelling features. But the P3 don't have physical buttons, which is fine, but they can't be turned on and off without the case. Apparently I should have gotten the p3i but before I return the P3 are there any other buds I should be looking at? I occasionally forget my case at work/home hence the need for manual power buttons and I think earbuds with stems fit me better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Dessel posted:

I'm a horrible terrorists who torments his mother by doing calls often when doing dishes. Are there any cheap'ish bluetooth headphones, probably with boom microphone *solely* for calls? I'm doing these calls mostly from home so how they look doesn't matter, as long as I can be moving around in my apartment. Getting my mum one would be nice too, because Jesus Christ can I hear the TV from two rooms over with all the headphones she owns. I've even tested all my bluetooth headphones with my PC and Nvidia Broadcast to get rid of the clattering noises but it just silences my voice entirely when the noise happens.

Teleconferencing/call center headphones seem kinda expensive too. WH-1000XM4s were one of the worst headphones I tested for the record for call quality. Both of my True Wireless (Jabra Elite 75t and the Samsung Buds Live) and my cheap rear end Chinese bluetooth headphones beat them.

There is no such thing as a cheap bluetooth headset only for calls, because it's all business to business oriented, and priced as such. Your best bet is something from Jabra or Polycom, and you might want to look into office equipment liquidators or preowned from eBay, and just give it a good cleaning.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah, I got my second Voyager Focus UC on ebay refurb for under $100.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I have a pair of portapros. I like their portability and everything but they feel a bit flimsy. Is there a logical upgrade from here? Or would it be any on-ear headphones?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

mariooncrack posted:

I have a pair of portapros. I like their portability and everything but they feel a bit flimsy. Is there a logical upgrade from here? Or would it be any on-ear headphones?

semi-sidegrade to the KPH30i, in rhythm beige of course

otherwise it depends on what you’re looking for and what pricepoints you’re ok hitting

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

evobatman posted:

There is no such thing as a cheap bluetooth headset only for calls, because it's all business to business oriented, and priced as such. Your best bet is something from Jabra or Polycom, and you might want to look into office equipment liquidators or preowned from eBay, and just give it a good cleaning.

Yeah stuff priced for "business" is arguably shockingly overpriced because its a mission critical item, reliability is key and the budget is almost never out of someone's individual pocket, unless they're the owner.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

This also means there’s tons of overstock and refurbs because a call center will get a good deal on 500 of them then dump the extras on eBay.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
Budget - Under $250
Source - iPhone, laptop
Isolation Requirements - Enough isolation to be able to hear dialog while washing dishes
Preferred Type of Headphone - I have used earbuds in the past but am open to alternatives.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I listen to quiet stuff, so whatever fits that.
Past Headphones - My last two sets of headphones were airpods. The first set died after being horribly abused by my kids, the second set is half dead with lefty making a loud static pop one day and then never responding again. Each of the previous sets lasted about two years.
Preferred Music - Sadboi Sufjan Stevens type stuff

I use my headphones for a few different things:
  • Watching TV on laptop while washing dishes. I often only use one ear for headphones so I can hear the rest of the house
  • talking on the phone
  • listening to music
  • listening to podcasts
I have really enjoyed my airpods but the ones I have had seem to have a lifespan of about two years. Should I switch to other IEM type options? Are there any that are robust and might last a bit longer? I'm particularly disappointed in my most recent pair which didn't get abused but died anyway. Maybe I just had bad luck?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Grifter posted:

Budget - Under $250
Source - iPhone, laptop
Isolation Requirements - Enough isolation to be able to hear dialog while washing dishes
Preferred Type of Headphone - I have used earbuds in the past but am open to alternatives.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I listen to quiet stuff, so whatever fits that.
Past Headphones - My last two sets of headphones were airpods. The first set died after being horribly abused by my kids, the second set is half dead with lefty making a loud static pop one day and then never responding again. Each of the previous sets lasted about two years.
Preferred Music - Sadboi Sufjan Stevens type stuff

I use my headphones for a few different things:
  • Watching TV on laptop while washing dishes. I often only use one ear for headphones so I can hear the rest of the house
  • talking on the phone
  • listening to music
  • listening to podcasts
I have really enjoyed my airpods but the ones I have had seem to have a lifespan of about two years. Should I switch to other IEM type options? Are there any that are robust and might last a bit longer? I'm particularly disappointed in my most recent pair which didn't get abused but died anyway. Maybe I just had bad luck?

The one-squeeze Transparency/ANC toggle feature on AirPods Pro seems like it would really be up your alley.

That said, even independent of mechanical/electrical failure (which it sounds like at least one of your earbuds experienced) 2-3 years (300 to 500 charge cycles) is the average lifespan for a wireless Li-Ion powered set of earbuds or headphones (headphones with bigger batteries may last longer but might also have bigger/less efficient drivers to move, etc) before it’s recommended that you replace the battery (or the buds themselves in the case of 99% of the market).

If you want something with a longer product lifespan, you’d have to go back to wired.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Anyone know a good basic set of wired over-ear headphones, with velour/similar fabric earpads, for general film/gaming/etc. PC use?

I have a broken as gently caress set of Takstar HI 2050's that I've been using for years. They are great. The thing I most care about is comfort, as long as audio quality is good (for a layman/non-audiophile).

It seems weirdly difficult to find something as comfortable as my old Takstar's. A lot of over-ear headsets seem to have either (a) round earpads (whose ears are round?? there must be some reason why people make them like this but it sure isn't comfort. I prefer something that actually encloses the whole ear. Maybe I just have big ears, ok.); and/or (b) really uncomfortable headbands, that are too small/squeeze the top of your head, or have a kind of suspended double-headband strap underneath the main headband which actually presses down even more on the top of your head.
As you can tell I know nothing about headphones.

Here's what the Takstar's look like, for reference:

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Sennheiser makes headphones that pretty much look just like that. I have the HD599 and really like them. I do have to leave them spread open over some books or such for a few days because the clamping force is a bit tight for my big head by default.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Beyerdynamic headphones come with velour earpads. Those kind of look like DT-770 knockoffs so check those out, they may be what you're looking for.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

El Grillo posted:

It seems weirdly difficult to find something as comfortable as my old Takstar's. A lot of over-ear headsets seem to have either (a) round earpads (whose ears are round?? there must be some reason why people make them like this but it sure isn't comfort. I prefer something that actually encloses the whole ear. Maybe I just have big ears, ok.); and/or (b) really uncomfortable headbands, that are too small/squeeze the top of your head, or have a kind of suspended double-headband strap underneath the main headband which actually presses down even more on the top of your head.
As you can tell I know nothing about headphones.

There are folks making round headphones with round earpads that enclose the ear fully (or are supposed to, at least). Beyerdynamic, for one, but also AKG and Audio-Technica come to mind. Cup depth may still be an issue depending on the specific model and your particular ears, of course, but that's not an issue limited to round cups.

Safe option would be some Sennheisers as previously mentioned.

My current daily use headphones are round cups and goofy suspended headband (ATH-R70x) but I find them to be very comfy overall. The fact that they weigh practically nothing helps.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I have a big head and my Sennheisers (560s) sound good but they are seriously clampy

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Helter Skelter posted:

My current daily use headphones are round cups and goofy suspended headband (ATH-R70x) but I find them to be very comfy overall. The fact that they weigh practically nothing helps.

Audio-Technica's ATH-AD900 were my favorite headphones ever when they were current and I miss that bizarrely comfortable band

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Sorry for the late reply but yeah, I guess I'll need to start looking where firms sell their furbished headsets here. Or looking which current IEMs or headphones are best for calls. I remember Verge doing tests in noisy environments in NYC but can't find one of them (...around Central Park on a bicycle I think...?), and the one on the ferry is kinda outdated (Pixel Buds Pro and AirPods Pro).

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dessel posted:

Sorry for the late reply but yeah, I guess I'll need to start looking where firms sell their furbished headsets here. Or looking which current IEMs or headphones are best for calls. I remember Verge doing tests in noisy environments in NYC but can't find one of them (...around Central Park on a bicycle I think...?), and the one on the ferry is kinda outdated (Pixel Buds Pro and AirPods Pro).

This channel does a ton of mic tests including with noise and wind, it's mostly business headsets but they compare them to stuff like Airpods and Sony XM5s.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Thread adjacent, but does anyone have the link to the guide that sets up Equalizer APO + Voicemeter? I remember there was a guide with the links to the software on how to tweak your headphone sound, which I did ages ago when I first got this computer, but I think there was a driver update or something that affected audio devices and it doesn't work anymore, so I wanna go redo the tutorial again.

Tried Googling the terms but I get more advanced guides, like people using it to set up streaming devices which is a bit overkill. I used this guide last year to get nicer sound for my headphones and to toggle virtual surround sound if I'm playing games.

My current issue is basically that for whatever reason, the current setup suddenly doesn't go out via headphones anymore after some NVidia updates (why graphics card mess with audio settings whyyy). Going through each and every selectable Hardware Out option doesn't seem to fix this, so I figure it's easier to just redo the entire setup again.

Artelier fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 4, 2023

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I dunno about voicemeter but if you just want to apply an auto curve to your headphones install peace gui, it’ll make sure equalizer APO is installed on whichever device and you can hit the C button to run the auto config and load a predone one for your headphones

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I have a big head and my Sennheisers (560s) sound good but they are seriously clampy

Pull the earpads off and mount the headphones to a "head" made of several books shoved against each other. Or a bookshelf speaker, whatever works. Leave them there for a few days. Remove, re-attach earpads and Bob's your uncle.

There is a trick to doing something similar with the HD6-whatever series but its more about carefully bending the metal size extensions without putting any strain on the plastic part of the headband. Much quicker.

edit - A lot of Sennheiser design oddities make more sense when you realise they were originally sold in a market that was just Sennheiser, AKG (pre Samsung buyout), Beyerdynamic and Audio Technica with the big winged headphones.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 4, 2023

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Neat, I had no idea you could do that, thanks!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Apropos of the big winged Audio Technicas: what is the current 2023 consensus on Best/Best Value open-back AT? Is it the R-70x, or the AD900X (or one of its less expensive siblings)? Are any of them still worth picking up today? They look dope and I've always wanted a set since back in like 2010

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The R-70x is a reference headphone and as such is tuned to a relatively flat/neutral signature, similar to a HD600/HD650. If that's what you're after (as I was), they're great.

I should note that they're also 470 ohms and they really want an amp.

I can't speak for anything else from them.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Grifter posted:

Bit late but in case you’re not aware, Apple will sell you just one earbud. Regular ones are $69, free shipping.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is there a such thing as wireless open-back headphones? I'm looking for something like the Philips SHP9500S but wireless.

Or at least, I assume what I like about open-back is that they don't feel they're clamping my head and feel like they're going to be more comfortable for something I'm going to have on pretty much all the time i'm at my PC.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The only wireless open backs I've seen are the Grado GW100, there's just not much point in wireless open backs since you're not wearing them outside and the kind of people who value open backs also value the cable. Your best option is probably just getting a bluetooth DAC to connect them to.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Oxyclean posted:

Or at least, I assume what I like about open-back is that they don't feel they're clamping my head and feel like they're going to be more comfortable for something I'm going to have on pretty much all the time i'm at my PC.

There's no inherent comfort difference with open back headphones, except maybe breathability. HD600s and their ilk are notoriously clampy out of the box.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I had the impression that isolation is achieved by basically being a tighter fit/physically trying to prevent sound trying to leak out? Surely that contributes to how they feel to wear?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Oxyclean posted:

I had the impression that isolation is achieved by basically being a tighter fit/physically trying to prevent sound trying to leak out? Surely that contributes to how they feel to wear?

That's not how isolation is achieved. Maybe a small part of it but It's just as important, if not more so that open backs "seal" properly, you get wild bass shenanigans otherwise.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

No, isolation is achieved by sealing the driver off from the outside. Clamping force has nothing to do with it. There are open backs that clamp hard in the same way there are closed backs that don't.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Look at the DT770 vs the DT990

Almost the same form factor, same pads, same clamp, open vs closed

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 5, 2023

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Alright, I think I've misunderstood some stuff then - OP talks about open/close back in terms of caring about isolation.

OP posted:

If you need high isolation then closed headphones are the way to go. You will need high isolation if you share a room or are travelling, high isolation headphones will keep the sound private to you while blocking outside noises. If you’re primary listening will be done in an area where you won’t bother anyone then you don’t need isolation, therefore you can go open. Open headphones, in general, will provide better sound quality than closed variants of the same price. This is largely because of the difficulties when designing the enclosure for the driver.

To clarify - open back is basically those ones with the meshy bit on the backside of the pad - (the backside of the driver is open?) Is it just referring to how the driver housing is built?

Then what qualities should I be looking for in headphones if I want maximum comfort? I feel like I've open-back also referring to less noise isolation -

Googling posted:

Open headphones are designed to allow audio leakage out of the earpieces. They don't block out ambient noise.
and I feel like what I thought were closed back headphones were also responsible for blocking out too much ambient noise - not just the clamp factor, but also just generally tighter fitting pads? The Philips Im using right now sit very nicely on my head - like I can stick a finger behind my ear without the pad getting in the way.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Oxyclean posted:

and I feel like what I thought were closed back headphones were also responsible for blocking out too much ambient noise - not just the clamp factor, but also just generally tighter fitting pads? The Philips Im using right now sit very nicely on my head - like I can stick a finger behind my ear without the pad getting in the way.

okay listen

see the DT770? see how the back of the headphone is closed? that's closed back.

see the DT990? see how the back of the headphone has a mesh that lets air in and out? that's open back.

that's it, that's the difference.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

okay listen

see the DT770? see how the back of the headphone is closed? that's closed back.

see the DT990? see how the back of the headphone has a mesh that lets air in and out? that's open back.

that's it, that's the difference.
Yeah, I get that like I just said, I just don't understand why multiple sources talk about open/closed in terms of noise leakage/isolation, and sometimes comfort. Is OP just wrong or oversimplifying?

What design factor contributes to noise isolation? Mostly pad design?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I get that like I just said, I just don't understand why multiple sources talk about open/closed in terms of noise leakage/isolation, and sometimes comfort. Is OP just wrong or oversimplifying?

What design factor contributes to noise isolation? Mostly pad design?

well, with closed back headphones, the back is closed. this means you can't hear the outside because there's plastic in the way.

with open back headphones you can hear the outside because there isn't plastic in the way.

that's it, that's all. one headphone has a closed back and is sealed from the outside, the other isn't. there is no other difference, that's all that means. pads have absolutely nothing to do with it.

e: think of it this way. put a coffee mug over your ear. that's closed. everything's muffled right? you've got isolation and noise won't leak out of it. okay, now put a tea strainer over your ear. that's open. you can hear pretty much normally right? no isolation to speak of, and if there's a speaker in the tea strainer everyone will be able to hear it.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 5, 2023

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I apologize for my denseness - I executed a small experiment of placing my hands over the open backs of my headphones - the audio produced noticeably changed (which makes sense given how the drivers work) but it felt like very little outside audio was shut out. My hands aren't pieces of plastic, so this is far from an ideal experiment, but it made me think there was probably more going on. Like sure pad design matters? A rubbery/leathery pad that sits tighter around your ear is probably going to seal audio in/out better then a soft meshy pad that sits lighter around.

I realize these aren't open/closed things, I'm just trying to understand what I should be considering/looking for if I want (wireless) headphones that will be comfortable to wear all day long.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Oxyclean posted:

I apologize for my denseness - I executed a small experiment of placing my hands over the open backs of my headphones - the audio produced noticeably changed (which makes sense given how the drivers work) but it felt like very little outside audio was shut out. My hands aren't pieces of plastic, so this is far from an ideal experiment, but it made me think there was probably more going on. Like sure pad design matters? A rubbery/leathery pad that sits tighter around your ear is probably going to seal audio in/out better then a soft meshy pad that sits lighter around.

you're overthinking this in the weirdest possible way. did you completely seal off the cups with your hands? no, you didn't, which is why you could still hear things outside the cups, because that's how sound works.

there are no open back wireless headphones in any case (except the grados) and headphone comfort is a personal journey based on your head and ear shape. go try on headphones and see what fits, there's nothing more to it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Comfort is almost 100% personal fit. I think the thing with wireless headphones is they're heavier on average because they have to have batteries on board. The most comfortable headphones I've ever had were Sony MDR-1Rs and I expected trying on their modern wireless over-ears would be similar but the weight changes the feel a ton. It's not universal, though, my wired Focals weigh as much as most wireless headphones. It's basically weight, earpad design and clamping force and you can only really research the first.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

It can also be simply a function of what those headphones were originally meant for, as well. Open-back headphones are typically make for keyboard warriors or music professionals who are going to be using the things for hours on end; consequently they'll tend to only buy things that are very comfortable as long as it meets certain criteria

So you'll see a lot of velour pads, padded bands, weight shaving, etc on open-back headphones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I do find open back more comfortable because of the ventilation. I am a hot blooded sweaty motherfucker. I do still have closed back cans for practical purposes (planes, buses, piano practice while my wife is trying to work in our shared office, etc).

My maximum comfort feature shortlist is velour earpads and open back. Clamping force can go either way. I have SHP9500s and honestly they're so lightly clamping they feel weird. My HD560S are fine while others say they're too tight. Maybe I just have a tiny head to go with my tiny ear canals.