Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

There's a recent v60 overview/shootout that Hoffman did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have a ceramic and plastic V60 and far prefer the plastic. It's super light and pleasant to use. The ceramic breaks easily if you ever drop it but the plastic will last forever.

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
a little nervous but excited
I don't trust pre-caffeinated me with breakables

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

get the drip decanter one, the cone is plastic and it looks a lot better than a regular v60 on top of whatever carafe you use. as we all know, aesthetics is half the point :colbert:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I like my ceramic one but don't have a good reason to prefer it over plastic.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ulvir posted:

get the drip decanter one, the cone is plastic and it looks a lot better than a regular v60 on top of whatever carafe you use. as we all know, aesthetics is half the point :colbert:

Yeah this. $21 on Amazon and comes with 100 filters, and the carafe is genuinely very nice.

Plastic also requires minimal/no preheat like the ceramic ones do.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm a dumbass but glass is sorta a ceramic right? Like it should share thermal properties in this context?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

VelociBacon posted:

I'm a dumbass but glass is sorta a ceramic right? Like it should share thermal properties in this context?

The carafe isn’t involved in brewing

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Yes, the glass v60s that exist (they’re rare but out there) have the same heat retention and breakage issues the ceramic ones do. But the glass carafe isn’t an issue because it’s not used in the brew.

Pre-heating the carafe would be similar to pre-heating your espresso glasses. It’s a nice to do, but won’t impact your brew enough to be worth it in most cases IMO.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I'll say this about the various v60s. I originally got a ceramic and broke it. Knocked it off an edge and it shattered. This was pre-coffee. Then I got the plastic v60 with the glass carafe. I liked it a lot! Then while grabbing the carafe and brewer from the cupboard, the dogs ran through me and I dropped the brewer (thinking I'll hold on to the carafe so it doesn't break). The plastic shattered. Now I have the glass v60 with the wooden ring around it and I've liked them all. One day, when it breaks, I might get a metal v60.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I was gifted the metal V60 brewer. Sometimes I'll put it over the lid of my kettle to heat it up but I usually just heat it with water when I rinse the filter. I've never noticed a difference in coffee quality when doing either, honestly.

What I am unhappy about is that Hario apparently changed the filters. I used to use the made in Japan one that came in the 40ct box. When I reordered them a few weeks ago they have changed to a tabbed filter which seems to flow differently and something about the seam causes it to splash a lot more as it drains and I get little drops of coffee all over my counter.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Is there any new competition to the Aeropress these days? I'm wondering if anyone got inspired by it and made some similar products, I'm specifically interested in something not made of plastic but I'm generally curious about anything that comes to mind. (I guess the Flair technically fits the description but I mean more on the cheaper side)

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

If you mean an immersion brewer, the newest contraption I'm aware of (which is a few years old at this point) is the Hario Switch, although that one is a more direct answer to the longtime Clever dripper.

That said, Aeropress just launched a few new products, including a clear version of their traditional brewer plus their own take on the Fellow Prismo pressure valve

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Snapshot posted:

There won’t be issues, but the burrs do wear out. Just replaced mine after more than 5 years of use.

Thread shames reminds me to clean my Baratza's burrs

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

404notfound posted:

If you mean an immersion brewer

I don't really know what I mean exactly, in the same sense as nobody would have been able to describe an aeropress before it existed, you know?

The V60 stuff seems too complicated for me, all these techniques with stopping and starting water pouring, going in even circles, etc.

Was the aeropress not clear to begin with? I thought it was.

Is the metal filter for the aeropress any good? That seems like a pretty nice simplification instead of having to mess with the paper filters every time.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Brut posted:

Is the metal filter for the aeropress any good? That seems like a pretty nice simplification instead of having to mess with the paper filters every time.

No, it's not. Cleaning the metal filter is much worse than tossing the paper filter away. They're not exactly the right size so grounds are more likely to get in.

I'm happy with these filters, they're a little bigger than the stock filters so they go all the way to the edge: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B095YCTQ9M

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I just went double paper in my aeropress for the first time today. why didn’t I do this sooner?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i like my metal aeropress filter. think it's the fellow one that comes with a pressurized basket sorta thing? it does not make espresso but it makes decent coffee (the standard aeropress does too, but i hate fiddling with the paper filters)

also cleaning it is easy jfc people are lazy

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Brut posted:

Is there any new competition to the Aeropress these days? I'm wondering if anyone got inspired by it and made some similar products, I'm specifically interested in something not made of plastic but I'm generally curious about anything that comes to mind. (I guess the Flair technically fits the description but I mean more on the cheaper side)

Not sure about a non-plastic Aeropress competitor that isn't just a manual espresso maker, but someone does make a stainless steel version of the aeropress if you wanted to go that route.
https://www.artisansmith.com.au/collections/brewing/products/artisan-press-stainless-steel

Otherwise, the only thing I've come across that's non-plastic and as quick and convenient to make a brew with is a Hario Switch. And even then, there is still some small amount of contact with silicone base during draining.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Brut posted:

I don't really know what I mean exactly, in the same sense as nobody would have been able to describe an aeropress before it existed, you know?

The V60 stuff seems too complicated for me, all these techniques with stopping and starting water pouring, going in even circles, etc.

Was the aeropress not clear to begin with? I thought it was.

Don’t worry about the 101 different ways to brew with a v60. It is mostly people chasing that last 5% of taste.

As long as you do the initial wetting of the coffee then you can just put all the water in on one go and still get a very good cup of coffee. Unless you have a very sensitive palette you will struggle to notice the difference between the different techniques. The coffee is the most important thing, followed by the grind and grinder. The actual technique you use has by far the least impact on the taste.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

ulvir posted:

I just went double paper in my aeropress for the first time today. why didn’t I do this sooner?

what does this do?

Also thanks for the link to the unbleached filters above

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
a little nervous but excited
When in doubt just look up "Hoffman [aeropress/pourover/french press]" and you will get a really good cup out of whatever you're using -- and if it's not perfect, you can extract more by doing more time+finer grind+hotter temp or extract less by doing less time+coarser grind+cooler temp. Everything else is a silly little ritual for luck.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Bilirubin posted:

what does this do?

I've had my Aeropress for a long time and don't use it much anymore. For me though the filters that my Aeropress came with were slightly too small to easily cover the entire cap, which would allow a fair bit of grounds through to the cup. I ended up just using two filters and offset them a little to make sure they completely cover the whole cap surface.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

There is a rather stark contrast between, say, the Hoffman method (and alikes) vs. a 4:6 but it's definitely entering the realm of pedantry and chasing the consistency dragon otherwise.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

what does this do?

it might’ve been a touch of placebo, but I could swear the cup had more clarity due to extra filtration

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

MetaJew posted:

I was gifted the metal V60 brewer. Sometimes I'll put it over the lid of my kettle to heat it up but I usually just heat it with water when I rinse the filter. I've never noticed a difference in coffee quality when doing either, honestly.

What I am unhappy about is that Hario apparently changed the filters. I used to use the made in Japan one that came in the 40ct box. When I reordered them a few weeks ago they have changed to a tabbed filter which seems to flow differently and something about the seam causes it to splash a lot more as it drains and I get little drops of coffee all over my counter.

Behold: https://cafecusa.com/pages/paper-filters

I think this company used to make filters for hario? I've been using them for at least a year or so now and I've had much better luck than gambling on hario branded ones. They've got a bunch of different filters that are supposed to be better for different types of coffee, but I just use the Abaca+ filters. They seem to have better flow and less issue with clogging than any other filter I've tried.

Brut posted:

Pouring techniques are basically just ritualized ways to control contact time and agitation, and like others have said their differences basically represent the last 5~10% of how your coffee tastes.
There's merit in picking a technique and attempting it, but as long as the water is making it into the brewer there's not a lot that could go wrong that you'd taste, let alone that would actually ruin the cup.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Something that can ruin a cup is not folding the paper filter, having the coffee somehow tear the bottom of the filter, and then there's a bunch of coffee grounds in your coffee.

...this hasn't happened to me for a while now since I realized you fold the filters according to the box instructions, yes I'm real dumb.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

speaking of folding, is there any noticeable difference between how you fold the filter paper in a v60? i.e. whether you fold it sort of like this: / or like this ı

obviously, there's a visual difference, the first sort of tapered fold sits less awkwardly in the cone than the straight equal width-type fold, but does it have any actual impact in your brewing dynamics beyond the mere visuals?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Theoretically I guess if you got the angle exactly perfect your filter might mold to the inside of the v60 and create a vacuum which would slow your drawdown significantly and maybe even cause it to bubble over like the knockoff Chemex I had that neglected to put the little air vent trough in. I think the little waves in the v60 are meant to prevent that though.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

RichterIX posted:

Theoretically I guess if you got the angle exactly perfect your filter might mold to the inside of the v60 and create a vacuum which would slow your drawdown significantly and maybe even cause it to bubble over like the knockoff Chemex I had that neglected to put the little air vent trough in. I think the little waves in the v60 are meant to prevent that though.

The vacuum issue is down to your drip container.

The carafe that comes with the V60 kit has a spout that ensures you don't get a vacuum. If I use the stock V60 filters and a flat top drip vessel, and fold parallel to the diagonal on the seam, I get a vacuum every time.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Steam tips - what's the difference between 2/3/4 hole ones for a given heat exchanger machine? And are the threads a standard size or does one have to get manufacturer-specific?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Klades posted:

Behold: https://cafecusa.com/pages/paper-filters

I think this company used to make filters for hario? I've been using them for at least a year or so now and I've had much better luck than gambling on hario branded ones. They've got a bunch of different filters that are supposed to be better for different types of coffee, but I just use the Abaca+ filters. They seem to have better flow and less issue with clogging than any other filter I've tried.

Thanks for the tip. I'll probably try ordering a pack.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Quiet thread...

I should be getting a referral bonus for a friend joining my company soon-- so I'm planning to finally bite the bullet on a Lagom P64. This would be 99% for espresso. My question for y'all is what burr set should I consider?

I've gone through the flow chart, but I question how much I would really notice the difference between each burr option. I think I enjoy lighter roast coffees, but I've had a few dark roasts using my borrowed Lido 3 hand grinder and Robot that have actually made excellent espressos and Americanos.

For pourover grinders:
I own a Vario W with steel burrs that I use for pour over, but as I've screamed-into-the-void previously, I don't think I've ever been completely satisfied with it. I've tried doing the "hyper alignment", but I still get a lot of fines. It doesn't make bad coffee but it has only very occasionally made very good coffee.

I've been wondering if I should try and sell it on Home Barista or somewhere and try purchasing a Fellow Ode with the SSP burrs many people have recommended.

If anyone has upgraded or changed from a Vario, or has another grinder for pour overs and aeropress coffee I'd like to hear it.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

MetaJew posted:

Quiet thread...

I should be getting a referral bonus for a friend joining my company soon-- so I'm planning to finally bite the bullet on a Lagom P64. This would be 99% for espresso. My question for y'all is what burr set should I consider?

I've gone through the flow chart, but I question how much I would really notice the difference between each burr option. I think I enjoy lighter roast coffees, but I've had a few dark roasts using my borrowed Lido 3 hand grinder and Robot that have actually made excellent espressos and Americanos.

For pourover grinders:
I own a Vario W with steel burrs that I use for pour over, but as I've screamed-into-the-void previously, I don't think I've ever been completely satisfied with it. I've tried doing the "hyper alignment", but I still get a lot of fines. It doesn't make bad coffee but it has only very occasionally made very good coffee.

I've been wondering if I should try and sell it on Home Barista or somewhere and try purchasing a Fellow Ode with the SSP burrs many people have recommended.

If anyone has upgraded or changed from a Vario, or has another grinder for pour overs and aeropress coffee I'd like to hear it.

I own a P64 with SSP Multipurpose (unimodal) burrs. They make excellent espresso and filter (once adequately seasoned). The only thing stopping me from recommending them automatically over the other burrs would be: how much do you value texture/body in your espresso? If you prefer thicker shots with more body, then the SSP High-Uniformity burrs would probably be a better pick. The advantage of the Multipurpose burrs is the amount of clarity they provide, but they do so at the cost of texture.

As far as darker roasts go, I'm not sure that a fast-extracting burr like the MP would be ideal for darker roasts. It might tend to easily over-extract them.

Edit: As for the second part of your post. I don't think I'd bother getting an SSP burr set for a Fellow Ode. The new version of the Ode has burrs that are good enough that they're almost as good as the SSP set for filter. Not worth the upgrade cost IMO. If you did end up getting the P64 with the MP burrs, i'd use that for both filter and espresso.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 4, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Steam tips - what's the difference between 2/3/4 hole ones for a given heat exchanger machine? And are the threads a standard size or does one have to get manufacturer-specific?

I found a 4-hole for my manufacturer and fitted it. loving hell it made steaming quick. Quick enough that I didn't get time to texture properly.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'm going to sell my black Niche Zero w/ the optional portafilter stand from Decent. I'm the second owner, original box and parts and such. Based in Los Angeles.

Would anyone be interested so I can post an SA Mart thread? Otherwise I'll just let it go local.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

One weird thing. I'm level 36 yeah? Never found a single scroll of escape. And I read absolutely every drop.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

BrianBoitano posted:

One weird thing. I'm level 36 yeah? Never found a single scroll of escape. And I read absolutely every drop.

Uhhh, maybe a cup of coffee will help you see what thread you're in?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

sellouts posted:

I'm going to sell my black Niche Zero w/ the optional portafilter stand from Decent.

Is the stand good? I have considered one for mine but worried it might be more messy than the cup, especially if there's static.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Works perfect with the magnetic funnel. It’s awesome and why I’m keeping the funnel