Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Jaxyon posted:

Hannah Gadsby certainly has some problems but LOL at how mad that review was about someone badmouthing Picasso, a well known shithead

loving illiterate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

bro are you actually illiterate there is zero mention of art collecting

quote:

Most bizarrely, the routine rested on a condemnation of art as an elite swindle, and modernism got it particularly hard. “CUUU-bism,” went Gadsby’s mocking refrain, to reliable audience laughter. (As it is, Picasso’s own Cubist art appears at the Brooklyn Museum through a single 6-by-4.5-inch engraving.) The sarcasm, from a comedian with moderate art historical bona fides, had a purpose: It gave Gadsby’s audience permission to believe that avant-garde painting was actually a big scam. “They’re all cut from the same cloth,” Gadsby told the audience in “Nanette”: “Donald Trump, Pablo Picasso, Harvey Weinstein” — and the art you never liked in the first place could be dismissed as the flimflam of a cabal of evil men.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Why do I have this brain disease that makes me assume people are acting in good faith

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Fine art is a big scam, there's plenty of excellent and groundbreaking art that doesn't get famous or valuable, a small elite cadre of people decide what's artistically valid or not and then sell it to each other to launder money

and also great work not understanding the quote from her show about trump, pablo, and weinstein which is talking about how men in power are sex pests

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Impressive that you managed to continue not reading that while pasting it here

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

huh im surprised family guys numbers hit season two cancelation level ten years ago and season three cancelation level five years ago but the show just keeps on going without any hint that its ever going to stop

theres gotta be something screwy going on with how the contracts for shows like the simpsons and family guy are written because it just doesnt make any sense that they keep making new ones when there are so few viewers

those are good ratings nowadays

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

picasso painted this when he was 15

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

also big "gadsby isn't funny but i'm not like the misgoynists who think that" energy going on this thread

Your posts loving suck

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

No he's right, that is exactly my energy

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
just watched After Hours, think someone recommended it in an earlier thread. interesting movie, I felt it had some similarities to Uncut Gems in the way everything is stressful and uneasy (but with less tense music)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Your posts loving suck

struck dog barking

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It goes "a hit dog will holler" you loving philistine

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

jaxyon's posts give me hysteria of the womb

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Since no one else has jumped at the chance to do it, here’s an actual clip of Ted Lasso and is a great example of why it’s not just a funny show, but a poignant critique of modern gender relationships and mental health issues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVsLKvIDwTA&t=153s

Every single person in my life who watched Ted Lasso on my recommendation laughed at this line and texted me about it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ted's boss is a babe

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Trabisnikof posted:

Since no one else has jumped at the chance to do it, here’s an actual clip of Ted Lasso and is a great example of why it’s not just a funny show, but a poignant critique of modern gender relationships and mental health issues:

Every single person in my life who watched Ted Lasso on my recommendation laughed at this line and texted me about it.

this is just the same comedy that is in every show, every line is just a boring quip and after the characters are "established" they just play that role for the rest of the series. disenchanted is another good example of thjis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MyY_ixJMEI

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Trabisnikof posted:

the tea thing actually comes back in the penultimate episode, it's because his mother loves tea and he's angry at her for how she emotionally abandoned him after his father's death

AnimeIsTrash posted:

ted's boss is a babe

Yeah she's also an accomplished broadway and west end performer bringing it back to musicals and how much schmigadoon rocks, also she was septa unela in Game of Thrones

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

the tea thing actually comes back in the penultimate episode, it's because his mother loves tea and he's angry at her for how she emotionally abandoned him after his father's death

this reminded me that i saw a kindof funny promo once where ted lasso says he always thought tea just tasted like dirty water and now that hes finally tried it yeah it does just taste like dirty water ewww

glad to know the only halfway decent ted lasso adjacent joke id ever seen was somehow turned into a tragic backstory in this extremely good and not at all weird bougie tv show

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Some Guy TT posted:

this reminded me that i saw a kindof funny promo once where ted lasso says he always thought tea just tasted like dirty water and now that hes finally tried it yeah it does just taste like dirty water ewww

glad to know the only halfway decent ted lasso adjacent joke id ever seen was somehow turned into a tragic backstory in this extremely good and not at all weird bougie tv show

it's reading between the lines they never say it explicitly but also the show is absolutely more of a drama than a comedy

he's literally getting panic attacks in the first season, him being so folksy and people-pleasing is part of how he learned to cope with his trauma, as many people do

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
sounds hilarious

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
suck asso

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If the problem was people needed entertainment during the pandemic couldn't they have just watched Tiger King like I did

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
You hate Picasso because he was problematic.
I hate Picasso because all the art he’s famous for is lovely and ugly.
We are not the same.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Trabisnikof posted:

I guess this show just isn't for me.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Prescott
May 16, 2023

I’m reading the Bible so I can teach the zombies about Heaven.

Some Guy TT posted:

huh im surprised family guys numbers hit season two cancelation level ten years ago and season three cancelation level five years ago but the show just keeps on going without any hint that its ever going to stop

theres gotta be something screwy going on with how the contracts for shows like the simpsons and family guy are written because it just doesnt make any sense that they keep making new ones when there are so few viewers
I don’t know for sure, but I’m assuming international syndication has become exponentially greater since the late 90s

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

it's reading between the lines they never say it explicitly but also the show is absolutely more of a drama than a comedy

he's literally getting panic attacks in the first season, him being so folksy and people-pleasing is part of how he learned to cope with his trauma, as many people do

we are talking about the show thats about an american football coach being hired to lead a team in the worlds most high level soccer league right

i feel like this is kind of a farcical premise if your aim is to have a serious plotline about people pleasing as a means of coping with trauma

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

galagazombie posted:

You hate Picasso because he was problematic.
I hate Picasso because all the art he’s famous for is lovely and ugly.
We are not the same.

you hate ted lasso i hate picasso

ted lasso picasso ted lasso picasso

lets call the whole thing off

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

loved the snl skit this week where they reveal that more cowbell man wants more cowbell because his brother would use the cowbell to drown out the sound of daddy hitting mommy

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Fellatio del Toro posted:

loved the snl skit this week where they reveal that more cowbell man wants more cowbell because his brother would use the cowbell to drown out the sound of daddy hitting mommy

So brave

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://twitter.com/yugiohtas/status/1665042411834458112

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Some Guy TT posted:

ted picasso would be a much more interesting premise

Jun 4, 2023
ya'll still talkin bout ted lasso when lieutenant dangle is the biggest threat

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i say swears online posted:

i don't remember any of the plots, the draw is just watching tom cruise try and kill himself for the love of the game

i think the fifth one opens up with alec baldwin just describing the plots of previous movies and going you know every single thing youve ever done is insane hosed up bullshit that shouldnt have worked and probably dragged us all a lot closer to being killed than if you had just done nothing so why the hell doesnt anyone have any oversight over you

were supposed to understand that alec baldwin is wrong because he is an elected official while tom cruise is a total badass

edit whoops alec baldwin is actually the head of the cia well an appointed public official anyway whos at least theoretically accountable to someone

Some Guy TT has issued a correction as of 06:40 on Jun 4, 2023

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Some Guy TT posted:

we are talking about the show thats about an american football coach being hired to lead a team in the worlds most high level soccer league right

i feel like this is kind of a farcical premise if your aim is to have a serious plotline about people pleasing as a means of coping with trauma

It alternates between absurdity and character drama but like just don't watch it my dude

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Some Guy TT posted:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Prescott posted:

I don’t know for sure, but I’m assuming international syndication has become exponentially greater since the late 90s

Probably this. Seems likely one of those where it originally got cancelled by suits who didn't think it was making enough ratings to be worth it and then snapped up by other networks who recognise and need good syndication regulars. Same thing with American Dad probably.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

Way funnier than anything in Ted Lasso

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

It alternates between absurdity and character drama but like just don't watch it my dude

Nah people have a right to hate watch stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

Jaxyon posted:

it's ok to like and not like things, fam