Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

I am the nerdiest of nerds.

feedmyleg posted:

What the hell is that ship supposed to be

"Star Fleet Battles" is basically the Franz Joseph Technical Manual Extended Universe (except more fashy, maybe? Might be confusing that with something else), and all the ships in the 70s manual were just kitbashes of the Connie 1 silhouette to make ship sizes that were smaller and larger along the 20th century navy corvette - frigate - destroyer - cruiser - heavy cruiser/battlecruiser - battleship spectrum. If it's not specifically from that book, you can nevertheless see how it's supposed to be a "constitution but more petite" design that goes along those "use the exact same parts but make them smaller/bigger or more/less of them" Franz Joseph style rather than what we see with Reliant/the Miranda class vs Enterprise/Connie 2 in the 80s or the Nebula and others vs Galaxy in 90s trek where they have similar parts and aesthetics but the overall ship silhouette isn't basically identical.

E: A shameful snipe. Here is a fanmade cutaway of the Reliant as penance

bennyfactor fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

bennyfactor posted:

E: A shameful snipe. Here is a fanmade cutaway of the Reliant as penance

I think that ship hit a patch of phased space or other some such bullshit

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

bennyfactor posted:

"Star Fleet Battles" is basically the Franz Joseph Technical Manual Extended Universe

I used to love this game back in like ‘81-82. The rules were so drat crunchy it might take two hours or more to play out a 1v1 duel, though.

The newer one called Federation Commander is more simplified, easier to play and quicker to learn/teach.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

In the Pale Moonlight is great, but I always saw is a Sisko being the villain there. Like his speech is incredible, but to me it always was meant to be a dark moment in his life. Its shot triumphantly, but if he really could live with it, he'd have turned himself in. Certainly Admiral Leyton would be proud of what Sisko had done there.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Does anyone remember the game Star Trek: Legacy? I got it for Christmas, installed it on my PC, and was very disappointed with it. Maybe I'd like it better now; I don't remember now why I was dissatisfied. This was 2006 or so.

Legacy was... not good, but there's a mod out there for it, I think it's called The Ultimate Universe, that really improved it substantially. Not enough to salvage its flaws, but it at least made the game look and feel a whole lot better.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Brawnfire posted:

I think that ship hit a patch of phased space or other some such bullshit

lol it's not that it's really bad — it's certainly better than anything i could do by hand — but there's a bunch of bizarre errors that make it pretty funny

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Eimi posted:

In the Pale Moonlight is great, but I always saw is a Sisko being the villain there. Like his speech is incredible, but to me it always was meant to be a dark moment in his life. Its shot triumphantly, but if he really could live with it, he'd have turned himself in. Certainly Admiral Leyton would be proud of what Sisko had done there.

This is part of what makes it great, imo

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Eimi posted:

The entire point is that nobody can actually know what he did or the Romulan alliance would have fallen apart and it would have all been for nothing. He can live with keeping it a secret because telling anybody would risk the Romulans finding out.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

MrMojok posted:

I used to love this game back in like ‘81-82. The rules were so drat crunchy it might take two hours or more to play out a 1v1 duel, though.

The newer one called Federation Commander is more simplified, easier to play and quicker to learn/teach.

My SO plays it and just won a tournament. They allotted something like 6 hours per game and two games per day across three days, though he got out really early on the second game on the second day and swung by my place. I treated him to a victory dinner which I attributed to his victory in the last two games, no other possible reason for why he won obviously.

I've played it a few times with him and I think I actually have won more times than he beat me, but the only ship I know how to use and feel like using is (because of its relative simplicity in a game that might be a little too much even for me, a BattleTech Player) the Federation "Command Cruiser" tournament ship. I really like it because it has an incredible line of death directly in front of it where it can shoot all of its weapons in a deadly alpha strike, and every one of my victories was managing to pull that off.

Ironically in that tournament one of his games had an opponent using that ship who managed to pull off the alpha strike but got soul-crushing die rolls.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The entire point is that nobody can actually know what he did or the Romulan alliance would have fallen apart and it would have all been for nothing. He can live with keeping it a secret because telling anybody would risk the Romulans finding out.

Which shows a pretty deep misunderstanding of their psychology.

In the spinoff stuff the Romulans find out about it and are like 'ah the Federation are finally willing to take things seriously like adults'

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like that when Odo tries to create complex clothing it's often a little off, like his Belt in some episodes is clearly a single piece that would be impossible to adjust, it just has the vague shape of a buckle with none of the function. Similarly in His Way, the "bow tie" is slightly off, it's the wrong shape, and layered incorrectly as it's under his shirt collar instead of sticking out of the front like it should be. Unless that's an older style of tie that I'm unfamiliar with. :P

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

obviously gene is first, but who is second?

Chakotay

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The Reckoning was a fun episode, AKA: Dragonball Pah.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Tunicate posted:

Which shows a pretty deep misunderstanding of their psychology.
:goonsay:

Tunicate posted:

In the spinoff stuff the Romulans find out about it and are like 'ah the Federation are finally willing to take things seriously like adults'

what spinoff stuff?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Profit and Lace is a dumb episode, but the bodyguard's performances help it. It's fun to see Zek and Brunt's muscle square off against one another when they are in the same room. :3:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Eimi posted:

starfleet had a good idea of most of it, or at least that was my reading of it this morning- sisko mentions having to clear the plan with headquarters to garak and bashir gets pissed off about the bio gel transfer and makes a deliberate paperwork trail to cover himself

for me it's probably one of, if not the best episode of trek but I wouldn't recommend it for someone new to the series because it relies so much on the previous 6 seasons worth of character development- this is behaviour sisko detests but has been manipulated by foul circumstance into accepting, and it only really hits hard with that previous character development

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Profit and Lace has a weird ending because you'd expect the episode to be immensely transphobic, but as far as the cola merchant is concerned Lumba is a female, regardless of her former name and occupation/gender, and Brunt's just deadnaming her and misgendering her. It's weirdly not as bad about that sort of thing as many 90s stories touching on that kind of idea.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I have a bunch of the Federation Commander packs, but I haven't yet had an opportunity to play them. My son is way more interested in Battletech and there are only so many hex and chit games a 7 year old can keep track of. Maybe when Strange New Worlds season 2 starts he'll start to get excited about it.

Anyway, this card game looked like an interesting entry point for Star Trek gaming. I've glanced through the rules and it's more or less an elaborate game of paper-scissors-rock where you hope you have a ship in your fleet with the ability to hurl the rock you have in your hand or another than can wield the scissors when someone comes at you with paper.

The Star Fleet Battles universe is pretty whacky though. Their license is incredibly restrictive about what they can and can't say and what references they're allowed to make. I'm amazed that they've managed to keep it going and that Paramount hasn't tried to kill it off because it's weird legacy media at this point.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

"It is dangerous to leave Bajor, you must walk the chosen path"

"Why is it dangerous?"

"NO SEQUENCE BREAKING! Follow the story triggers in order, you are underlevelled for Cardassia!"

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Also, I just watched Vortex. That was a great way to introduce the mystery of Odo's origins.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BioEnchanted posted:

Similarly in His Way, the "bow tie" is slightly off, it's the wrong shape, and layered incorrectly as it's under his shirt collar instead of sticking out of the front like it should be. Unless that's an older style of tie that I'm unfamiliar with. :P

That’s one of the ways bow ties used to be worn, yes. The bow tuck. Sometimes you still see it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

That’s one of the ways bow ties used to be worn, yes. The bow tuck. Sometimes you still see it.

like in your avatar

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always like when a primary villain gets shown up by a secondary antagonist, like when Weyoun tries to butter up Kai Winn and this happens:

"It seems were are more alike than you initially thought."
*Kai Winn grabs Weyoun's ear to check his Pah*
"No, we're not."

She's just so condescending to him and it's really fun to watch. He's so speechless and she's just like :fuckoff:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And she's right. Weyoun is truly loyal to his gods. She is not.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The Prophets don't deserve anyone's loyalty.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Angry Salami posted:

The Prophets don't deserve anyone's loyalty.
Sounds like something a Pah-Wraith cultist would say!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
THE PAH-WRAITH DID NOTHING WRONG!!!!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm watching the Storyteller. Did they have two half finished scripts and rather than developing them they just stapled them together?

Mind you, I don't really hate either plot, they're just both thin and don't feel connected in the slightest.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm at the start of season 7, I like the stuff with Garak's claustrophobia getting worse due to his anxiety about his part in the war. Onto the baseball game episode next. Also the stuff with the return of Benny the Writer was fun, I thought he was just a one-off. I also like that Weyoun is clearly not enjoying being stuck with Damar as his primary contact after Dukat's breakdown. He's stuck with a lovely, bargain bin cardassian and he knows it.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 4, 2023

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm at the start of season 7, I like the stuff with Garak's claustrophobia getting worse due to his anxiety about his part in the war. Onto the baseball game episode next. Also the stuff with the return of Benny the Writer was fun, I thought he was just a one-off. I also like that Weyoun is clearly not enjoying being stuck with Damar as his primary contact after Dukat's breakdown. He's stuck with a lovely, bargain bin cardassian and he knows it.

Damar knows it too.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Nog clearly not a fan of fetch quests.

Edit: Wait, do we think he paid off his father's debt, or is that just a Rom problem from now on?

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 4, 2023

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like them taunting the vulcan at the end of the baseball game episode.

"I refuse to take part in this human game of taunting."
"Human? Did I forget to wear my spots today?"
"All that intelligence and he doesn't even know what a human looks like!"

Also in a way Worf is very Vulcan in a lot of ways. He has the same backstory, started off incredibly uncontrolled and passionate, this caused people to get hurt so he shut himself down and stopped expressing himself as much.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 4, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm watching the Storyteller. Did they have two half finished scripts and rather than developing them they just stapled them together?

Mind you, I don't really hate either plot, they're just both thin and don't feel connected in the slightest.

Old Man Yells at Cloud: The Episode might be the most complete zero of a show DS9 ever made.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I always forget the Storyteller is a DS9 episode and looking it up it was originally supposed to be a TNG script so that makes a lot of sense to me.

Also, when I think about it, Damar's character arc really might be the most compelling in the entire series. Thug to tragic alcoholic to flawed and desperate leader to straight up revolutionary martyr

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The baseball episode is fun behind the scenes because apparently Nana Visitor was the actual worst player on the cast, she couldn't throw or catch a ball at all. Meanwhile, Rom's actor Max Grodénchik was a semi-pro player who literally could not play badly enough for the script and had to do everything left handed

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

There is an amusing unintentional parallel with the wonky treatment of the mentally ill, especially the episode Chrysalis - to be fair to the show, Serena wasn't born autistic and then fixed, she got hosed up artificially due to poorly done procedures, but the parallel comes in the gross relationship she enters into with Bashir given his position. The parallel is this - Bashir is constantly telling Serena that she doesn't "Belong" with her friends and doesn't seem to care too much that they are going to be stuck at the institute, so seems to see them as limited in ways that him and Serena aren't (this wouldn't have the same problem if he was willing to try to help the others adapt; not necessarily fix, but adapt; but he doesn't seem to care as they aren't his pet project - her joining society isn't the problem, it's the callous separation from the other three with no regard for their personal development). Also he's overly familiar with her despite her barely knowing him outside their medical relationship, and he's trying to convince him to join other people like himself in the space station, aka functional people. He's behaving like the female changeling.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 4, 2023

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Soul Dentist posted:

I always forget the Storyteller is a DS9 episode and looking it up it was originally supposed to be a TNG script so that makes a lot of sense to me.

Also, when I think about it, Damar's character arc really might be the most compelling in the entire series. Thug to tragic alcoholic to flawed and desperate leader to straight up revolutionary martyr
Damar also got one of the most hilariously delivered lines in all of Star Trek. "Well hellooooooooooo!" :haw:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It feels Ezri Dax is a more effective counsellor than Troi was, she's always available to jump on a situation that could turn ugly and try to defuse it before things get to embittered.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

BioEnchanted posted:

It feels Ezri Dax is a more effective counsellor than Troi was, she's always available to jump on a situation that could turn ugly and try to defuse it before things get to embittered.

She's a great character even though she was dumped into the worst circumstances, from a creative standpoint, and hence gets attached to a few mediocre bits of storytelling. Ultimately she pulls through and has some standout moments despite everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

BioEnchanted posted:

There is an amusing unintentional parallel with the wonky treatment of the mentally ill, especially the episode Chrysalis - to be fair to the show, Serena wasn't born autistic and then fixed, she got hosed up artificially due to poorly done procedures, but the parallel comes in the gross relationship she enters into with Bashir given his position. The parallel is this - Bashir is constantly telling Serena that she doesn't "Belong" with her friends and doesn't seem to care too much that they are going to be stuck at the institute, so seems to see them as limited in ways that him and Serena aren't (this wouldn't have the same problem if he was willing to try to help the others adapt; not necessarily fix, but adapt; but he doesn't seem to care as they aren't his pet project - her joining society isn't the problem, it's the callous separation from the other three with no regard for their personal development). Also he's overly familiar with her despite her barely knowing him outside their medical relationship, and he's trying to convince him to join other people like himself in the space station, aka functional people. He's behaving like the female changeling.

I mean being functional is better than being non-functional and being heavily reliant on others for even simple day to day tasks. It also gives them a lot more freedom. The others realistically are going to be stuck at the institute for the rest of their lives because there is no cure for their condition. It'd be like giving a non-verbal autistic person the ability to communicate and the ability to live on their own.