Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

the two steves, united at last

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

thanks steve²

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm seeing double! Four Steves!

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the girls are fighting

https://twitter.com/Dachsjaeger/status/1664301769952837632

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

kirbysuperstar posted:

thanks steve²
thank, steves

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Theves

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So what does it prove? Yes some games may fit decent textures in 8GB. :confused:

But it's not an infinite capacity and will run into more and more limitations, and I'm sure as hell not paying $500 for an 8gb card when that's what my 1070 had on launch in 2016

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

So what does it prove? Yes some games may fit decent textures in 8GB. :confused:

But it's not an infinite capacity and will run into more and more limitations, and I'm sure as hell not paying $500 for an 8gb card when that's what my 1070 had on launch in 2016

I agree that we shouldn't be stuck with 8 gigs anymore and devs can easily find justifiable ways to utilize more VRAM. But these games with tons of performance issues don't have nice enough textures or do any cutting edge visual stuff to justify needing more than 8GB of VRAM. They're just really poorly optimized.

I got a feeling these big AAA studios/publishers just aren't willing to pay good enough money to hire and retain people who have the expertise to truly understand and fix such complicated stuff anymore. People like actual systems engineers and such.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sininu posted:

I agree that we shouldn't be stuck with 8 gigs anymore and devs can easily find justifiable ways to utilize more VRAM. But these games with tons of performance issues don't have nice enough textures or do any cutting edge visual stuff to justify needing more than 8GB of VRAM. They're just really poorly optimized.

I got a feeling these big AAA studios/publishers just aren't willing to pay good enough money to hire and retain people who have the expertise to truly understand and fix such complicated stuff anymore. People like actual systems engineers and such.

More likely those people left the industry in the last few years and no-one's still around with that knowledge because the games industry loves to chew up and spit out talent on the assumption there'll always be someone to replace them.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

njsykora posted:

More likely those people left the industry in the last few years and no-one's still around with that knowledge because the games industry loves to chew up and spit out talent on the assumption there'll always be someone to replace them.

That sounds likely as well, I was thinking of those people leaving too when I made the point. I haven't seen anyone talk about the massive technical issues in AAA games from this angle. Would be nice if someone looked into it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As someone who was forced into a 3070ti via Newegg lottery at the peak of the GPU famine: 8GB is not enough for a modern GPU

It’s ridiculous that the 1070 and 3070 both shipped with the same amount of ram

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I just remember people mocking AMD with RDNA2 going with higher VRAM amounts to try and make up for their weak ray tracing, and its increasingly looking like the 6750XT and 6800XT are going to age extremely well because of it. Though likely more by mistake than intentional, but we'll know that for sure if they put a 7600XT out and it still has 8gb.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

mobby_6kl posted:

df are generally pretty bad at this back-and-forth stuff

a really important thing hwub raised is how insufficient vram storage can fail silently without dropping crashing the game; all of a sudden, the textures will just look like rear end

it's been super instructive to see how vram bottlenecks actually affect games

tbh, amd should probably just implement some basic osd tool for their gpu's to show how vram hungry games can get

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mobby_6kl posted:

It proves using a bad game with trainwreck tech issues as an argument for anything is silly.

I don't know what the right amount of vram is these days, but I think the weight of history is that worries about small vram have never been correct. Most GPUs have had "enough" vram and high end cards have had way more than they need. There's pretty much no history of cards that suffered a premature performance drop-off due to lack of vram. Even the 1060 3GB turned out mostly ok: you have to drop the texture settings by one notch vs the 6gb. (And 5 years after release, for a low-end card, ain't exactly premature.)

There's a good reason that games haven't demanded exponential growth in vram while they have kept up with exponential growth in shader power: budget. A graphics programmer can easily and fairly cheaply make more whiz-bang shader effects or whatever else to occupy GPU compute. And a bunch of effort is supplied by the engine devs, for ex UE5's lumen system.

You can't put twice as many GB of textures on the screen without, in all likelihood, paying for approximately twice as many texture artists.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Klyith posted:

You can't put twice as many GB of textures on the screen without, in all likelihood, paying for approximately twice as many texture artists.

Good thing games companies aren't currently crowing about how they'll soon be able to create high res textures without having to pay for any texture artists then.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

njsykora posted:

Good thing games companies aren't currently crowing about how they'll soon be able to create high res textures without having to pay for any texture artists then.

Yeah, I remember the Google Stadia GDC announcement too.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

kliras posted:

tbh, amd should probably just implement some basic osd tool for their gpu's to show how vram hungry games can get

the trouble is that external VRAM monitoring only tells you how much the game has reserved, and not how much of that reservation it actually needs to perform well

some engines take the available VRAM into account when deciding how much to reserve, so the same game at the same settings may show 10GB on one card and 7GB on another. maybe the latter is loading lower resolution textures to fit into the smaller reservation? maybe it has worse frametimes? maybe it's exactly the same for all practical purposes? the only way to know is by manually examining the game, a number on an OSD won't reveal anything.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
when games have that meter that tells you how much VRAM the game will consume, given the graphics settings you've currently set... how "honest" is that?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Beve Stuscemi posted:

As someone who was forced into a 3070ti via Newegg lottery at the peak of the GPU famine: 8GB is not enough for a modern GPU

It’s ridiculous that the 1070 and 3070 both shipped with the same amount of ram

I was a 1070 owner who refused the 3080 10 gig because it was such a small step up in ram.

Felt way better about the 3080ti 12 gig.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

when games have that meter that tells you how much VRAM the game will consume, given the graphics settings you've currently set... how "honest" is that?

I bet it's going to generate a Win10 scenario where cached app data was shown in memory and people yelled that it was wasting RAM.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

spunkshui posted:

I was a 1070 owner who refused the 3080 10 gig because it was such a small step up in ram.

Felt way better about the 3080ti 12 gig.

While I agree with you, its also ridiculous that the 1080ti and 3080ti only have a 1GB difference in RAM too

Get your poo poo together nvidia

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's always been weird how capcom will warn you that resident evil will never run with your vram settings, and then the game seems to run just fine. hopefully the ux was better in re4

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Steve and A British Man (making the country proud with his level of swearing) talk about Asus and also some interesting stuff about how manufacturers see the tech Youtube space as second class citizens as far as review sampling goes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7af_LGtD_jc

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

kliras posted:

it's always been weird how capcom will warn you that resident evil will never run with your vram settings, and then the game seems to run just fine. hopefully the ux was better in re4

with re4, the game just crashes to desktop with a vague error message if you exceed your card's vram

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I feel bad for the Supermicro guy here

Only registered members can see post attachments!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

which?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Arivia posted:

haha I kinda had a feeling this might be a thing. Hi Emily!

I mean, maybe just because I know a bunch of trans people, pre, during and post transition, but I'm like not remotely surprised, I think I might have just assumed she was fem-non-binary even before this? I honestly don't even remember assuming any gender of her, it's not like LTT videos use gender pronouns very often. Not trying to clock her, I just know lots of trans people and I've never felt they were confused about their gender or was I.

Good for her though!

Also, knowing people that have transitioned, I completely understand her desire to step back as she transitions, it is completely understandable...

But if this is because of LTT, Linus OWNS THIS, he just said he turned down a loving massive amount of money to protect the values of LMG, if a sponsor doesn't want to be associated with Emily on video, that is between LTT and the Sponsor, either LTT values their employees or the money.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jun 3, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I sincerely doubt it’s about any sponsors or anything LMG is doing themselves. Like the YouTube comments suggest, LTT fans can still be transphobic as hell.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Arivia posted:

I sincerely doubt it’s about any sponsors or anything LMG is doing themselves. Like the YouTube comments suggest, LTT fans can still be transphobic as hell.

Welp, he could have sold and not taken on what he claimed was his moral authority of LTT instead of some soulless corporate overlord. He is free to tell his fans that they can gently caress-off for their transphobia. Unless it was really about the money.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I honestly don’t understand why you are trying to spin this into “Linus Bad!”

The richest man in the world has spent the first day of pride month doing nothing but attacking trans people online to an audience of tens of millions online. It’s not confusing why somebody may want to step away from the spotlight for some time while transitioning.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Cyks posted:

I honestly don’t understand why you are trying to spin this into “Linus Bad!”

The richest man in the world has spent the first day of pride month doing nothing but attacking trans people online to an audience of tens of millions online. It’s not confusing why somebody may want to step away from the spotlight for some time while transitioning.

I'm not trying to spin anything, I support everything that Emily wants to do in choosing how to live her truth.

But I dunno, maybe a man that just turned down a massive fortune with a sprawling fanbase is better equipped than most to take on the richest, bigoted rear end in a top hat in the world?

Again, I fully support whatever choice Emily makes to transition, in public or private, but if this is about the LTT fanbase, tell them to loving gently caress off because they are evil assholes like Elon.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Three Olives posted:

I'm not trying to spin anything, I support everything that Emily wants to do in choosing how to live her truth.

But I dunno, maybe a man that just turned down a massive fortune with a sprawling fanbase is better equipped than most to take on the richest, bigoted rear end in a top hat in the world?

Again, I fully support whatever choice Emily makes to transition, in public or private, but if this is about the LTT fanbase, tell them to loving gently caress off because they are evil assholes like Elon.

what are you even remotely talking about

linus doesn't control elon musk, or the idiots in comment sections

linus could put out a video supporting emily (or he could have appeared in emily's coming out video and i missed it or something) but that's not gonna stop chuds from being chuds

and frankly, i don't think you as an upper-class gay man understand just how toxic and horrible men can be to trans women they're hating on even just as an anonymous mob of commenters. (look at what happened to fae johnstone for having the gall to appear on a hershey's chocolate bar wrapper, for example)

emily taking the time to step back and care for herself makes complete sense without any involvement from linus in any way

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
I mean he posted on her coming out video with the official LTT channel account voicing his full love and support. I really don't know what you want from him more than that. Sounds like it's her decision and somehow making this about linus being bad is weird.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/hardwareunboxed/status/1664829387135410178

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Martian Manfucker posted:

I mean he posted on her coming out video with the official LTT channel account voicing his full love and support. I really don't know what you want from him more than that. Sounds like it's her decision and somehow making this about linus being bad is weird.

I'm just saying if she wants to step back until she is further along in her transition, that is common, normal and completely understandable.

But if the apprehension is about viewers or sponsors reaction when she is ready to be back in a public facing role, they need to be told to gently caress off.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Three Olives posted:

I'm just saying if she wants to step back until she is further along in her transition, that is common, normal and completely understandable.

But if the apprehension is about viewers or sponsors reaction when she is ready to be back in a public facing role, they need to be told to gently caress off.

I think you probably need to shut the gently caress up for a bit but we all paid ten bucks to be here so who am I to cast aspersions.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Three Olives posted:

I think you’re inventing a lot of things that havent happened yet.

Like, I agree with your sentiment, but there is no indication that advertisers are going to make it a thing as far as I’m aware.

And we all know for drat sure that transphobes are gonna pop up in the comments, but that’s not Linus’s fault, nor can he control it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also this was a banger of a comment that went under appreciated

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

gently caress, they screwed up the meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz8zTBMAeQI