Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Jaytan posted:

I’m pretty convinced this whole build guide thing is a product of path of exile trauma where it’s possible to spend all your points and have a character that doesn’t do anything.

Literally buy some skills that do the same thing, and don’t over invest on passive skills early. Consider respecting when you get legendary items. There you go build guide complete for all five classes.
Also having to do the campaign over again. Never forget having to do the campaign over again. Praying to all the gods they don't make this mistake with PoE 2.

FFT posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't eventually become deliberate in design to lean into the multiplayer aspect.

Especially with the early "it's going to be easier to start over than to respec" things they were saying.
Now that I'm in endgame, I honestly don't understand this sentiment at all. It so easy to respect. Not as easy between levels 10-30 when you want to swap a skill at the top of the tree and it complains about something further down the tree locking you in, but after that it's all super easy.

rap music posted:

do you keep open side quests after beating campaign and moving on to wt3?
Yes. The game actually warns you about what progression (it's temp endgame stuff, think resetting adventure mode cache progression in diablo 3) is lost by swapping world tiers. Everything else carries over.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I think this form of rebalancing was to be expected. They’ve been touting how proud they are of their ability to rebalance quickly on the fly to address class balance issues ever since the Necro rebalancing during one of the play tests.

I think they’re going to do this whenever a particular build is head and shoulders above the rest.

Hopefully the effects are less jarring in the future. This is a unique situation in that the theory crafters got that 7-10 day access and were able to figure out insanely OP stuff right before the game first launched.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I took a break from dying to random super uniques in WTII hardcore and I'm having a jolly time cruising around WTI with a highly mobile flickering arc lash sorcerer. I think I'll try to get all the altars and regional rewards before going back to barbarian.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Ehud posted:

I think this form of rebalancing was to be expected. They’ve been touting how proud they are of their ability to rebalance quickly on the fly to address class balance issues ever since the Necro rebalancing during one of the play tests.

I think they’re going to do this whenever a particular build is head and shoulders above the rest.

Hopefully the effects are less jarring in the future. This is a unique situation in that the theory crafters got that 7-10 day access and were able to figure out insanely OP stuff right before the game first launched.
if the goal is to make an ARPG that depends less on mastering a bajillion systems POE-style, and more on just having fun, number going up, and not having to think or min-max too hard, then having all the builds being roughly equal in capabilities makes sense imo. That means nerfing stuff that's too good quickly (and hopefully buffing stuff that isn't good as well)

The downside is always that if all decisions lead to similar outcome in terms of player power (plus or minus twenty percent or whatever) then the decisions become a lot less meaningful, but that's a fundamental trade-off in ARPG design I guess

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

hell yeah 2 leggies off a t gob

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I don’t follow streamers or whatever, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they especially don’t want the game to fully release in a state where it’s possible to follow a guide and get tanky and strong enough to not have to engage with combat at all. That certainly wouldn’t offer a nice first impression.

A big round of nerfs after 2 days isn’t really a good look, but it’s better than the game being super easy if you happen to take the right skills. Especially if one point by which the game differentiates itself from its competitors is in combat feel.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I've been thinking about loving with golems and that iron golem buff is calling my name for tomorrow night.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

rap music posted:

hell yeah 2 leggies off a t gob

I found a cellar with 3 treasure goblins, that was fun.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I ripped through the story and wt3 unlock capstone dungeon as a summon necro and come back to the thread to see I'm getting buffs?

:rubby:

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I mean maybe actually play a bit to see how it shakes out. Folks were crying about the nerf to bone spear crit but it still feels…fine?

There are problems when there is one “right” answer for every class, too.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Will keep an eye on this game but it sounds better than I expected (though we'll see how the devs can gently caress that up) at least from the review or two I've read. I just didn't have any fun in the beta at all, it felt like a slog. Maybe the real full game is better but I still want to see how this shakes out.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Suburban Dad posted:

Will keep an eye on this game but it sounds better than I expected (though we'll see how the devs can gently caress that up) at least from the review or two I've read. I just didn't have any fun in the beta at all, it felt like a slog. Maybe the real full game is better but I still want to see how this shakes out.

I liked the beta pretty good, so this may not apply if you hated it, but part of what makes the full game fun is just there being so much poo poo to do (that I WANT to do, not that I feel obligated to). I haven't even made it as far through the story as I did in the beta and I've played a bunch, just because I keep getting distracted by sidequest hooks or cool-looking Legendary Aspects in dungeons or world events I've never seen before. The map is huge and an enormous portion of it is open to you right off the bat, and it's legitimately fun to just explore. That was probably the biggest surprise of the game for me.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

I spent like 3 hours last night trying to get the barb gloves only to find out they were disabled and I wasted tons of time and resources.

Going to play through hell content and be done with the game until season two or three, plenty of time for them to balance and add new stuff.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Yeah I thought the beta was bad and uou can't trust people for a few weeks after they drop big bucks on a game particularly a hype one like this

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Are there any classes that drop their basic skill and just run a core skill for damage and have decent resource generation? Blizzard leaning into builder/spender for every class with basic attacks feeling so trash is lame. And the Barbarian whirlwind changes kinda shows that's how they want things to be, no easy resource generation, you must hit your basic attacks a few times before your core skill

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

i am not 16 anymore. i cant stay up until 3am playing videogames on a work day. gently caress my life.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

queeb posted:

Are there any classes that drop their basic skill and just run a core skill for damage and have decent resource generation? Blizzard leaning into builder/spender for every class with basic attacks feeling so trash is lame. And the Barbarian whirlwind changes kinda shows that's how they want things to be, no easy resource generation, you must hit your basic attacks a few times before your core skill

Not AFAIK. Blizzard wants everything to be builder / spender.

I miss health and mana for everyone and mana potions the most.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

goferchan posted:

I liked the beta pretty good, so this may not apply if you hated it, but part of what makes the full game fun is just there being so much poo poo to do (that I WANT to do, not that I feel obligated to). I haven't even made it as far through the story as I did in the beta and I've played a bunch, just because I keep getting distracted by sidequest hooks or cool-looking Legendary Aspects in dungeons or world events I've never seen before. The map is huge and an enormous portion of it is open to you right off the bat, and it's legitimately fun to just explore. That was probably the biggest surprise of the game for me.

I'm playing Zelda right now and this is what I'm going through currently. Another reason why I want to wait to space it out a bit. Games are too loving big.

The mmo stuff is a turn off for me and still want to see how bad the shop/battle pass/whatever is.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah I thought the beta was bad and uou can't trust people for a few weeks after they drop big bucks on a game particularly a hype one like this
Agreed. I know the stuff I didn't like (like the skill tree, mmo stuff, samey dungeons) aren't going to change appreciably I'd bet but I'd be happy to be wrong.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

rap music posted:

Yup, but you can only have up to 20 active/tracked at a time.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

queeb posted:

Probably possible to pull this off with bone spear since so much of your resource comes from corpse explosion. But they also just nerfed that a bit and there are definitely times (usually bosses) where you have no corpses and no essence. Maybe the endgame build with uniques where you're also building essence from the blight ability

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

exquisite tea posted:

This is a preview of Blizzard's future approach to balancing this game. If you can get an endgame build up and running in 2 days, then you're not sticking around long enough to buy all the battlepass content, and you gotta keep the lights on somehow!

I mean yes, this will absolutely be what they do, but it's kind of weird seeing the surprise as it's anything but new. The third time they murdered wizard during the first two weeks I shelved D3 until the expansion. I'm sure part of it is the dumb perception that the game is easy/lacks content because xXx_TittyBarb_xXx streamed it for 200 hours straight and has nothing left to do.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
These balance changes should have been in the build we started on, and with patch notes posted.

Blizzard shouldn't have been doing any balance changes until the season 1 patch, outside of tuning down the Barb gloves that are clearly breaking the game and letting people kill T3 world bosses in 60 seconds.

Also, a lot of these changes are very reactionary, and don't seem based on good data. They destroyed Necro minions based on level 25 twinked out Act 1 Necros in the open beta.

I'm glad I didn't change over to Arc Lash yesterday. I found all the gear I was going to imprint and decided to do that today. Feel bad for the players who did destroy the gear they needed for other builds.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

when i looked at twitch yesterday afternoon the top 5 d4 streamers by viewers were all barbs.

it probably needed a nerf. if people explore a variety of builds there is more fun stuff for fans to discuss. stuff like maxroll and twitch actively makes ARPG game and season launches worse imo.

making your own build in d4 is doing it right

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
i hope someone makes a mod that makes all classes absolutely bonkers OP if you get the right items and skills. Nerfing poo poo in a single player arpg is dumb as balls and in this case just shows they’re trying to pad the play time. lmao

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Constant balance changes are great. Blizz should ignore all the meta zombies and keep doing what they are currently doing. The meta zombies cried for years about LoL's constant patches but Riot ignored them and it worked out great for that game.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Because balancing is inherently hard and inherently iterative, I am sympathetic to Blizzard's desire to quickly fix a few outlier builds and start getting fresh data, rather than "saving up" all their changes for the next ~45 days and praying they can magically fix everything in a single big pass as season 1 starts. We are still technically in an early access period and doing this kind of thing now makes some sense.

I can understand feeling like they want to spend this pre-season time where people are mostly just playing through the campaign and getting to know the game as an opportunity to bash balance into the best place they can get before season 1 starts, because it will be a lot harder to justify these kinds of changes once we are in seasonal time.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Biggest mod I need is a zoom out mod.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

there are not a lot of skill options really, I accidentally made the meta barb build just because I liked whirlwind in D2 and PoE and the war cries looked good

the zoom level is normal imo, I don't think about it at all

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Mikojan posted:

Legendary drop rate sure as hell skyrockets near the endgame. Approaching d3 levels and im not liking it tbh

the legendarys are just another tier over rare rather than the unique tier now so idk why thats bad

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Pennfalath posted:

Biggest mod I need is a zoom out mod.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

all the meta zombies are now furiously F5'ing maxroll to see which build they should hop on next

me, a sorc who has started working on his endgame fireball build: focused. flourishing. in my lane.

this

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I simply pick abilities based on what cool modifiers i find and change them up as I find different ones. Meta be damned.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Fighting giant liches with ten other players and getting nuked by a party of streamlords while trying to extract red dust in my single player rpg

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

queeb posted:

corpse explosion/summoner necro

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

queeb posted:

This is how ice shard sorc and firewall sorc work. No builders. But it takes a fair bit of gear optimisation

The weird thing about sorc is there are 3 solid builds and everything else is roughly 30% as good as those builds. Do other classes have this issue?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I'm mostly mad I have to respec for the 2nd time. Not because of the gold cost (I sold 10 yellow items and paid for my first one) but because the skill screen ui is bad lmao.

Designing builds is fun as gently caress. Rend and rupture cover the screen with blood

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
A saturday night nerf patch? Blizz couldn’t even keep my goodwill for 2 days goddamn.

If the build’s overpowered, fine. But dont triple tap anything midseason, you’re punishing your players for playing the game you (supposedly) tested the most optimal way they can.

Maxroll and such may be perceived as “bad” but unfortunately thats the way games are now. Its on blizz to adjust to modern reality *cough* real money AH *cough*

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
We’re used to balance patches in Hearthstone. The problem is a streamer or maxroll et al figures out some broken build, and then within 24 hours everyone’s running it and complaining about the build is the only one that’s viable. Blizzard doesn’t want complaints like that so we’re going to see balance patches. I’m fairly sure we’ll see another one before the week is over. They’ll get less frequent as we head down the road. Just keep in mind that if your character is mowing down poo poo without a lot of effort your build will probably get nerfed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
Got a rogue to level 16 on hardcore. Some very close calls.

One thing I'm confused about: how do you "play it safe" with level scaling? I can't just stay in an area and farm to get a safe buffer against the next area - the next area keeps scaling with me.

What's the strategy?