Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Haven’t seen it yet. My only question about spiderverse is this:

How hard is the cliffhanger? Is there any conclusion at all or does it still stand as it’s own thing kinda?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hard as a rock

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Hard as a rock
Look we're all hyped about the movie, but please calm down

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kart Barfunkel posted:

How hard is the cliffhanger? Is there any conclusion at all or does it still stand as it’s own thing kinda?
some guy in the front row of my theater let out an audible "what the gently caress was that?!" at the cliffhanger(as in, it being a cliffhanger at all) so it's the kind that makes you go "wow, that's ballsy, they're really stopping here out of nowhere huh"

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Kart Barfunkel posted:

It ends in the same way that Empire Strikes Back does: it's kind of a downer but it makes you excited for what's gonna happen next.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

mutantIke posted:

One more thing about the comics: The guy who cucked Peter is named Paul and he is built like a loving tank. He has been a massive punchline for comic fans for the past few months

...Peter, Paul, and Mary.

gently caress's sake. I bet the writer who came up with that thinks they're so fuckin' clever.

Who's writing this run?

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Y'all, they remembered my boy. I was already hootin' when Spectacular Spider-man got a Ben-Portal cameo but when he stepped up and Josh Keaton spoke, I was hollerin'. Spectacular Spider-man was easily the best animated Spider property prior to Spider-verse.

Also, on the one hand, I completely understand people who feel that certain parts drag or are given too much room to breathe:

On the other, studio animated movies are never given the opportunity to breathe in the way this one does and I think the movie is much, much richer for it to have those moments between Gwen and Miles or between Miles and his parents in between the frankly ludicrous amounts of stunting the animators are putting on the screen for the entire rest of the movie.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I went and saw it with my family. I was the only one who knew this was only part 1. They were all very annoyed. :lol:

Dunno if I liked this one more than the first, but it is very close. I like how they foreshadowed that Miles wasn't going to the right universe by showing "Earth-42" on the screen when he uses the go-home machine, when you know that's not his dimension because they threw it up on the screen in big letters two hours ago.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Codependent Poster posted:

Also he wasn't a direct inspiration for Miles, but Bendis (Miles' creator) has namedropped Glover as something of an influence. And Glover voiced Miles a couple times in the cartoons.

To add to this, the initial inspiration for Miles was Bendis watching Community and seeing Glover wearing Spider-Man pajamas. The same Community clip shows up in the first Spider-Verse when Miles is visiting his uncle's apartment.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Humor in this fell oddly flat for a Lord/Miller joint. Jokes like the “chai tea” bit or the “as a father of a daughter” thing have been played out for a while, I feel like.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Chai bit worked for me because it's Miles seeing how obnoxious he can be, along with being a part of this portrayal of Smug Carefree Spider-Man who's "obviously" about to experience some awful tragedy. As a joke on its own it's kinda whatever, I just think it served a reasonable purpose. The jokes that were truly just for laughs mostly landed really well for me.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I liked the chai bit because it mirrored Miles doing the same pedantic "why do they call it an ATM machine?" bit to Spot earlier.

It's like poetry, it rhymes. :v:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Haven't felt a more negative vibe leaving the theatre in a long time. Audience literally booed. No idea why the critics love this

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Amethyst posted:

Haven't felt a more negative vibe leaving the theatre in a long time. Audience literally booed. No idea why the critics love this

That's a fairly unique experience you had there. My cinema were all insanely positive. Myself, I loved this movie and it may be my favourite non-Avengers superhero movie (it's close between it and The Dark Knight). There were moments I was just in awe of how beautiful it was. Also, I had forgotten it was going to be part 1 but when they were adding more elements 2 hours + into the movie I remembered that, and then got really excited because it meant we'll get another 2+ hours of this.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

They were probably saying boo-urns.

But seriously if there were negative sounds I would genuinely bet it was people who were sad that they had to wait for the rest of the movie because they're into it. I have literally never encountered an audience booing in a theater, most people will just leave if they don't like it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Amethyst posted:

lol definitely an outlier

there were a few people pissed it was a cliffhanger but most everyone had a great time it looked like

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
yeah my theater had a smattering of "awww, really?" followed by raucous applause about 5 seconds later

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It was shocked silence in my cinema followed by angry murmuring then everyone just sorta shuffled out confusedly

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I can see how different audiences would react differently. There was no mistaking the negative vibe in my screening though.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

They shoulda just called it part 1 but then people probably woulda done what I woulda and waited until both parts were out to watch it

I assume the animation setpieces were so expensive Sony only agreed to the movie if it could be split into two films and then padded out with lower effort dialogue scenes about Parenting

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there's always a city. there's always a spiderman. there's always a dead cop dad.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Amethyst posted:

I can see how different audiences would react differently. There was no mistaking the negative vibe in my screening though.

As in, negative throughout the movie?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wasn’t sure why they were sure Jeff was fated to die, Miles has already lost his uncle, like most of the Parkers. Isn’t that enough?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

The_Doctor posted:

I wasn’t sure why they were sure Jeff was fated to die, Miles has already lost his uncle, like most of the Parkers. Isn’t that enough?

The death of George Stacy was another pivotal moment in Spider-Man lore - the idea is that, "canonically," Spider-Person tends to lose a parental figure, the parental figure of a loved one, and a loved one. In Peter Parker's case, Uncle Ben, George Stacy, and finally Gwen Stacy.

The interesting thing is that, when you write it out that way, it becomes apparent that Miguel himself does not seem to fit this mold.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Daduzi posted:

As in, negative throughout the movie?

I dunno, I can only speculate about how much the reaction was purely because of the cliffhanger. For me, the movie had a lot of problems, I think if it were better I wouldn’t have minded the terrible ending as much.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Amethyst posted:

I dunno, I can only speculate about how much the reaction was purely because of the cliffhanger. For me, the movie had a lot of problems, I think if it were better I wouldn’t have minded the terrible ending as much.

Yeah, I think you just didn't like the movie and are projecting that somewhat onto the rest of the audience. I haven't heard of anyone else experiencing a negative crowd watching this.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Daduzi posted:

Yeah, I think you just didn't like the movie and are projecting that somewhat onto the rest of the audience. I haven't heard of anyone else experiencing a negative crowd watching this.

Ok dude I’ll consult you next time I get an impression of a place I literally attended

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Amethyst posted:

Ok dude I’ll consult you next time I get an impression of a place I literally attended

Always happy to be a voice of reason

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I think poster watched a different film. It’s ok, who hasn’t walked into the wrong theater before.

But really, my audience groaned at the to be continued and then immediacy applauded. Audience scores are so far showing to be higher than critic scores even.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
My theater did the aww breaking into a loud applause as described by someone above

My thought is that Miguel is so obviously in the wrong with the "then I quit" twist that I'd believe this is a Superior Spiderman twist where Octavius took over the body of Miguel when he says "he died"

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 4, 2023

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Amethyst posted:

Is this audience that booed and hated the movie in the room with us right now?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Is this audience that booed and hated the movie in the room with us right now?

What? Christ you guys are weird lol

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I had a few people get mad in my screening, including a drunk dude who shouted that it "loving sucked". Hilariously, this wasn't triggered by the To Be Continued part, but about five seconds after when the credits rolled.

No clapping either, but I figure people were angry because they enjoyed the film so much and didn't enjoy getting blue balled at the end there, but I totally buy that people were mad and booed.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

How did they do all the art in this movie :psyduck:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

saw it last night and it definitely got a good response overall but the reaction to the ending could best be described as a collective "huh?", no applause.

i thought it was a pretty big step down from the first one but The Spot was cool.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/NewsBFM/status/1665357410347765760?t=wrinrFY0-X4DlEUXi4WgvQ&s=19

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Amethyst posted:

What? Christ you guys are weird lol

The movie had a 93 percent PostTrack audience score which is higher than the first. Only way I can see your scenario happening is if you're in the middle of MAGA country or something and people were mad about something else that was prevalent in the movie - or if somehow chance out the whole 7 percent in your theater. That's why people are responding like that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Darko posted:

The movie had a 93 percent PostTrack audience score which is higher than the first.

what does this even mean though

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

what does this even mean though

PostTrack is a slightly better audience reaction metric than CinemaScore (where Spider-verse got an A, which happened with the Avengers cliffhanger as well, while the follow-up got an A+). Other similar audience ratings this year were the Mario Bros movie and Avatar 2 as comparison. It's being better audience received than the first one, which was almost universally liked, so having a whole audience that disliked it is really statistically weird and most likely projecting personal preference onto the reaction from the cliffhanger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Darko posted:

The movie had a 93 percent PostTrack audience score which is higher than the first. Only way I can see your scenario happening is if you're in the middle of MAGA country or something and people were mad about something else that was prevalent in the movie - or if somehow chance out the whole 7 percent in your theater. That's why people are responding like that.
Maga country?! I’m not even in America you freak! This is the oddest conversation I’ve attempted in the web in a while