Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite hosed up lil' guy in games?
This poll is closed.
Waluigi 36 29.27%
Waddle Dee 34 27.64%
Gollum 7 5.69%
Sonic 13 10.57%
freaky cartwheeling grey-skinned frog men from elden ring 28 22.76%
vectorman worm things that sometimes explode 5 4.07%
Total: 123 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rinkles posted:

What are the big things missing from MH Rise that are in World?

Unskippable cutscenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
One thing I never understood is why the franchise is called "Monster Hunter"

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

she rules

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Khanstant posted:

It's because once you're hooked, you're forever chasing the dragon

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Because you hunt monsters (or more accurately fight them in direct combat and collect the spoils afterwards)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 4, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The world wasn't ready for Waluette

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Larryb posted:

Because you hunt monsters (or more accurately fight them in direct combat and collect the spoils afterwards)

if you're talking about the players who murder the animals in those games, I don't think you should name your franchise after the activities of the lowlife degenerates who you aren't legally allowed to prohibit from playing

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Monster in the title is actually a descriptor.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Pretty funny

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Khanstant posted:

if you're talking about the players who murder the animals in those games, I don't think you should name your franchise after the activities of the lowlife degenerates who you aren't legally allowed to prohibit from playing

I mean do you want the actual setting of the games that explains why you're hunting the monsters? Cause it's actually pretty interesting.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Tears of the Kingdom is fairly sick ops. Groundbreaking game opinions in the chat thread

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

I can fix her she's perfect

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve been compulsively completing every side quest I come across in Totk and it’s really starting to drain me. Why can’t I hide completed quests in my quest log? There’s so many

So sick of that sign guy too. Why does he have to have to same twenty lines of surprised dialogue I have to skip through each time?

And these koroks. Oh you want to go to your friend? The one who spontaneously appeared two hundred meters down the road I just travelled? Great, I’ll attach you to my horse, drag you over, wow what an interesting and challenging puzzle. NOT.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Just don’t do ‘em

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Evil Kit posted:

I mean do you want the actual setting of the games that explains why you're hunting the monsters? Cause it's actually pretty interesting.

To be honest my only exposure to the franchise is cultural osmosis and Peace Walker so go ahead

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

goatsette

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I wonder if anyone's ever done a psychological study of the phenomenon of video game completionism that sometimes compels people to do unfun bullshit they hate and find tedious, but they do it anyway even though it's entirely possible to just skip it and finish the game without it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
goatsette is a character in tears of the kingdom

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waludaisy is the hosed up lil guy I'd vote for

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Asterite34 posted:

I wonder if anyone's ever done a psychological study of the phenomenon of video game completionism that sometimes compels people to do unfun bullshit they hate and find tedious, but they do it anyway even though it's entirely possible to just skip it and finish the game without it.

I think it's because a lot of games have a convention where you get something epic for completing a tedious collectathon op. And if you combine an incredibly tedious task with a rare reward people are going to do it

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I didn't realise the sign guy did anything until I looked it up just now (I talked to him once in 105 hours because he made a poor first impression)

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

hatty posted:

Just don’t do ‘em

:yeah:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Optional bullshit is usually fine if it’s sequestered, like if it’s a bullshit hard dungeon in a corner of the map or a bullshit rare drop from a rare enemy. But if I’m trying to live my life and come across a optional task that, on its own, doesn’t take long to complete, and has an immediate material reward, yeah I’ll do it. NOT doing it would feel silly, it’s just a minor inconvenience and the rupees are always nice. But then in aggregate it takes a toll.

“Just don’t do it”. You’re right. I’ll play something else instead. Owned

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Please

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Bowsette real

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think there are only 5 games I’ve ever gone out of my way to go for 100% completion on (the Life is Strange series and the original Pokémon Red, and the former only because all the achievements are just based on story progression and snagging optional collectables)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Optional bullshit is usually fine if it’s sequestered, like if it’s a bullshit hard dungeon in a corner of the map or a bullshit rare drop from a rare enemy. But if I’m trying to live my life and come across a optional task that, on its own, doesn’t take long to complete, and has an immediate material reward, yeah I’ll do it. NOT doing it would feel silly, it’s just a minor inconvenience and the rupees are always nice. But then in aggregate it takes a toll.

“Just don’t do it”. You’re right. I’ll play something else instead. Owned

who do you think you’re impressing when you behave like this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
honestly there was so much side poo poo in TOTK that it reached a level where i was fine skipping it because like, actually doing everything was so obviously impossible. kind of funny how things work that way in the brain

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Evil Kit posted:

I was just Sunday morning goof troopin but yeah I'll bite. I got through World to at least as far as getting to the second or maybe third hub. I didn't get far in Rise because I was kinda like hey this is the same thing except my other gal has way better stuff already.

My understanding of MHW is they found USA but it's full of giant predators and ya gotta chop em up for clothes and food. I think I found the cat people ruins or something at one point.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m pretty sure people are aware Final Fantasy 16 is coming out

This is honestly the first I've heard of it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rinkles posted:

nothing really missing. world has a really lovely grappling hook instead of wirebugs, and too much story, is about it. world and rise are made by the a and b teams that consistently have different interpretations of monhan so there's lots of little things that each game does that the other doesn't

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

homeless snail posted:

nothing really missing. world has a really lovely grappling hook instead of wirebugs, and too much story, is about it. world and rise are made by the a and b teams that consistently have different interpretations of monhan so there's lots of little things that each game does that the other doesn't

i assumed there'd be some compromises moving to switch

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think it's because a lot of games have a convention where you get something epic for completing a tedious collectathon op. And if you combine an incredibly tedious task with a rare reward people are going to do it

This is why The Witness is so great, it makes it clear the reward you will get for stuff is more of that kind of stuff and so the only reason you'd ever have to complete the tedious optional side content is enjoying tedious optional side content, and everyone else knows they can safely ignore it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rinkles posted:

i assumed there'd be some compromises moving to switch
the graphics are worse and the levels are less dense (this is a good thing)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

who do you think you’re impressing when you behave like this

Is this about the last line? I shouldn’t have posted it. It was meant to be funny

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I thought it was funny

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm not playing Tears of the Kingdom right now

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

Idk but I have a torturous art-game idea I can't shake that evolves over time, but the core concepts being the same: a game where where you explore and do activities to collect stuff, but every thing you collect is physically necessary to carry with you to count as you having it. If you want the game to acknowledge you collected 100 golden music notes in an area, you have to figure out some way to have all of them on you. And if you stop carrying them, you lose credit for them until you get them back and revalidate. Nothing respawns and everything is left where it's left. Even once you leave the level of you want meta progress you still need to carry your collectibles.

You can buy a house but that means selling collectibles and permanently losing the ability to complete any checklists that item was part of. Plus you have property taxes, risk of fire or flood, and you're not the only Collector in the world, which has no laws against taking anything someone else isn't physically holding at the moment.

Same goes for upgrading your ability to physically suspend, contain, or carry objects with you. The only way to realistically collect and do everything requires inherently giving up the ability to collect and do everything

You have no way of knowing ahead of time which things are or aren't part of lists, even the game can't determine that until it comes up.

Also do a lot of McDonalds Monopoly piece distribution, where you can get 2/3 prices easy but the last ones are so rare as to be unobtainable unless youre a friend of a friend of someone who works at the peice factory.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Investigations. Alpha/beta armor sets. Craftable charms. Health Boost armor skill. Kirin. Holiday events. Elaborate crossover content. Food that's not Dango.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Asterite34 posted:

It's called Undertale's genocide route