Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Roosevelt posted:

define "woke" you piece of poo poo

It’s a word used to make old and bigoted people angry and vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

FlapYoJacks posted:

It’s a word used to make old and bigoted people angry and vote.

because "woke" means whatever makes 60-year-olds mad, even if it's something they supported 30 years ago

us politics are garbage

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
good news, woke as the word for everything old bigots hate caught on outside the us and now we all have to hear about it

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

big scary monsters posted:

good news, woke as the word for everything old bigots hate caught on outside the us and now we all have to hear about it

awesome

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
in my day we called it political correctness gone mad, but now you can't say mad any more because of wokeness

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

in my day we called it political correctness gone mad, but now you can't say mad any more because of wokeness

good luck saying anything at all without being called woke or nazi. current political discourse is garbage. i want to see a world where whatever party is in control actually cares about the future of the country, and it's not some dumbass football game where the weakest economic demographic always loses

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I'm old enough to remember when "being politically correct" was a euphemism for "not being a racist misogynist" because people still thought racism and misogyny were bad

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

pseudorandom name posted:

I'm old enough to remember when "being politically correct" was a euphemism for "not being a racist misogynist" because people still thought racism and misogyny were bad

i remember that being the point but bill maher made being "politically incorrect" popular in loving 1993

cuz once again, just to be clear, american politics is constant garbage

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DaTroof posted:

good luck saying anything at all without being called woke or nazi. current political discourse is garbage. i want to see a world where whatever party is in control actually cares about the future of the country, and it's not some dumbass football game where the weakest economic demographic always loses

i have never been called a nazi for expressing my opinion personally

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

Improbable Lobster posted:

i have never been called a nazi for expressing my opinion personally

but have you been called woke

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

DaTroof posted:

i remember that being the point but bill maher made being "politically incorrect" popular in loving 1993

cuz once again, just to be clear, american politics is constant garbage

I'm not sure the point you're making, bill maher is a shitstain

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

I'm not sure the point you're making, bill maher is a shitstain

of course he's a shitstain. i'm pointing out that he helped make being "politically incorrect" a popular concept, regardless of the original intentions of political correctness

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the intention of "political correctness" was to launder christofascism bigotry to be fed to idiot liberals

bill maher didn't get up and talk about how he hates women and minorities, he wouldn't have been able to sell that to an audience.

using "politically correct" instead of "being a good person" or "not being an rear end in a top hat" allows people to proudly proclaim that they're evil rear end in a top hat monsters

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
the phrase itself in the US initially was an attack from social democrats on the communist party in the 1920s to say that communists were dogmatic that didn't care about individual moral/compassionate results. it's always been used as a phrase to punch left and has always been used by people to say that they are politically incorrect.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

the intention of "political correctness" was to launder christofascism bigotry to be fed to idiot liberals

bill maher didn't get up and talk about how he hates women and minorities, he wouldn't have been able to sell that to an audience.

using "politically correct" instead of "being a good person" or "not being an rear end in a top hat" allows people to proudly proclaim that they're evil rear end in a top hat monsters

now it's my turn to not know what point you're making. i never said bill maher declared hatred of women and minorities. that last sentence of yours makes no sense at all to me. using "politically correct" allows you to proclaim you're an evil rear end in a top hat monster?

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

nobody would ever believe that musk needed to stay out of prison to see his children though

lol you got me

Agile Vector posted:

he'll get pregnant twice to avoid jail time unsuccessfully?

lol

He'll claim he was inspired by an Arnold movie. He's so cool about movies.

(boerishly) "groeing up I alweiys liktd the moevie 'Junior' aend it inspaered me"
*30 second pause*
"Eef it's a boy I'll call it Junior"
*fails to finish the quote*
*awkward laughter*

Shame about the Saudis siphoning user data and jailing anonymous posters though.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

dammit, i think i misunderstood this part. you meant the people who accuse other people of being "politically correct," not people who try to be politically correct. my mistake. i think we're on the same page

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

yeah, phrases like "politically correct" or "woke" are thought terminating cliches that allow you to label and dismiss the beliefs/behaviors of other people without performing any kind of introspection

when your kids tell you that you'll never be allowed to see yoru grandkids again because you're a racist misogynistic homophobic transphobe who refuses to lock up your loaded guns in a safe, you can tell your friends at the diner that they have the woke mind virus without ever having to dwell on the fact that the final time your children visited you, your daughter found a loaded handgun in a kitchen drawer that her three year old was almost tall enough to open

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

oh and my original point was nowadays people just openly acknowledge their racism and misogyny, the euphemism isn't necessary

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

yeah, phrases like "politically correct" or "woke" are thought terminating cliches that allow you to label and dismiss the beliefs/behaviors of other people without performing any kind of introspection

when your kids tell you that you'll never be allowed to see yoru grandkids again because you're a racist misogynistic homophobic transphobe who refuses to lock up your loaded guns in a safe, you can tell your friends at the diner that they have the woke mind virus without ever having to dwell on the fact that the final time your children visited you, your daughter found a loaded handgun in a kitchen drawer that her three year old was almost tall enough to open

totally agreed. that's a frighteningly visceral example

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wökisch

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Midjack posted:

got some bad news about the "xvideo" brand right now.

edit: ^^^^^^ hahahaha yep

time to buy divx stock
if there is such a thing

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Roosevelt posted:

define "woke" you piece of poo poo

woke is the mind virus giver

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

git apologist posted:

woke is the mind virus giver

I will face woke. I will let it pass over me and through me, and when I turn around woke will be gone, and only a sack of poo poo will remain

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

DaTroof posted:

because "woke" means whatever makes 60-year-olds mad, even if it's something they supported 30 years ago

us politics are garbage

ron desantis is 44 years old.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Mr. Nice! posted:

he looks like an older man cosplaying a whiny younger man

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

maybe he's like a younger man cosplaying as a whiny older man, like all those college republicans.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

he's going to be an evil politician for the rest of my life

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FuturePastNow posted:

he's going to be an evil politician for the rest of my life

Jeb! faded into obscurity maybe he will after he faceplants as well.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Luigi Thirty posted:

how is a brain chip going to fix your arthritis

post hole digger posted:

i dont trust chemicals, man, its like, you dont know what theyre going to do to you. i just feel like im better off with the monkey death chip

i mean, hey, palliative treatments for arthritis can and do address pain response, not the inflammatory response that causes it

on the other hand chemicals are a much better understood and reasonable means of achieving this at present, on account of the brain literally running on chemicals. the synthetic ones have their faults, but we've had centuries of figuring out to tune them, compared to, idk, 3 years of trying to figure out how to get a blunt instrument implant to the point of not killing every monkey it goes in

elong is not going to promptly surpass the safety and efficacy of the modern pharmaceutical industry

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ron's a middle aged dude cosplaying an old republican who's cosplaying a young dude. its the inception of bullshit personalities. Like when the beastie boys dressed up as old dudes and rapped, but for politics

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DaTroof posted:

but have you been called woke

not that either, but being called a nazi is a lot worse than being called "woke", it would just tell me how dumb the other person is

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 4, 2023

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Mr. Nice! posted:

drat he looks like poo poo. He looks like he is cosplaying a 70 year old going to one of those anti-aging clinics, but instead of Testosterone and HGH injections it’s glazed ham slurry.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Jonny 290 posted:

ron's a middle aged dude cosplaying an old republican who's cosplaying a young dude.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
hate really does age you dramatically.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

elong is not going to promptly surpass the safety and efficacy of the modern pharmaceutical industry

surely he will surpass them, from a 180 degree angle

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Sagebrush posted:

hate really does age you dramatically.

hey this sucks op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned