Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Astryl posted:

There is a random side quest in Get Kul where you find a letter (rng), when you take it to the lady that's addressed, it's a bill.

lol

Ugh spoilers :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Hulk Krogan posted:

Stayed up till like 3am finishing off the campaign last night because it just goes full loving send from about the coffin bit onward and I couldn't bring myself to turn it off. I was pretty pumped about being able to crush the campaign and never do it again, but I'm legitimately amazed at how good it was, especially toward the end.

Can't believe I'm already hyped for a Blizzard expansion, for story reasons.

Yeah it really ramps up from Act V onwards, which was a surprise to me because games usually tend to peter out in the latter portions. I was already enjoying the story before that point but the last two acts just cemented how much I liked the whole thing.

I really hope they can keep this level of story quality for the expansions.

Also, I ended up liking Donan's character a lot.

The Ol Spicy Keychain fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 4, 2023

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

smoobles posted:

Yeah I get the impression these balance changes are from averaged data from tens of thousands of players, and blizz knows what they're doing.

I get the opposite of this impression. If you're twitch-nerfing things by 30-66% then that to me suggests the balance team did not think things through or test it at all to begin with.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mooseontheloose posted:

How does this feel compared to the beta? I enjoyed the beta but not sure if I am willing to drop $60 right now for this.

I am having fun with it but as I get closer to level 50 I'm starting to realize I think Last Epoch might just be a better game with the benefit of many years of early access refinement. The end game stuff here doesn't sound particularly appealing to me, it's weirdly janky playing with friends because of the lack of quest sharing, and there's a lot of aspects of the game that seem just unfinished or not fully realized like the Druid spirit boons. I think it's a good game that will only get better over time with updates and expansions I'm sure, but I have a feeling if it wasn't called "Diablo 4" and it didn't look as gorgeous as it does people might be a bit more mixed on it for a $70-$100 game with a battle pass and in-game paid cosmetics shop.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

Clocks posted:

I get the opposite of this impression. If you're twitch-nerfing things by 30-66% then that to me suggests the balance team did not think things through or test it at all to begin with.

poo poo falls through the cracks. PoE added a new skill less than a year ago that needed to be buffed by 500% after release, and it was still pretty dumpster.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Story wise I thought the CGI cutscene in the last part of the game was kickass.

That said (endgame/general spoilers) I felt like we had little motivation for basically the entire game? Lilith seems like the only thing that actually gave a poo poo about sanctuary. Certainly it wasn't Inarius (who murdered his son and tried to murder his wifey, just to try to get back into heaven which didn't want him). Yet I guess since she's demon she's automatically bad or something, idk, yet we're willing to side with Mephisto because... Lilith bad, I guess? Mostly it seems like the player character is just swept along for the ride for other people's revenge fantasies.

Wasn't a huge fan of Neyrelle either, but I feel like she was also the only one with a decent point at the end, which is if the choice is to seal up Lilith or a prime evil we should probably seal the prime evil?? But then she goes off on an adventure by holding a big glowy soulstone in her hand and drops it on the ground so that'll work out great I'm sure. :downs:

I guess the one thing I can come up with is that we are in love with the idea of free will and having no protectors watching over us whatsoever. Which as we saw with Inarius, who was basically just using human lives to his own end — meh, ok I guess.

I mean, I'll admit I am not really up to date on all the previous lore of all the other games if that would somehow help explain things.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Are all aspects totally random or do certain ones have a better chance of dropping from specific mobs/areas?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Clocks posted:

I agree blizz literally didn’t do any thinking or testing on anything at all and it’s not like all of the sudden there was some drastic change compared to their internal testing conditions (which they didn’t do at all) like millions of players actively trying to break the game

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

InventorOfTrees posted:

poo poo falls through the cracks. PoE added a new skill less than a year ago that needed to be buffed by 500% after release, and it was still pretty dumpster.

This is the entire glyph system we're talking about. An entire system! I also have doubts about them nerfing the top builds. Were they really so OP they deserved the nerf, or would we have been better served trying to make the various other builds a bit better? That's a legit question by the way — maybe the nerfs really were justified. But I feel like when devs do snap decisions like this it instills the opposite of confidence in me. Doesn't mean the end result can't work out, just find it interesting that some people view this as competence and others don't.

I remember the 500% thing. And I'll be honest, I am not a huge fan of PoE's balancing team either. They love to do the ole GGG triple down on nerfs that they never reverse even after league power has been taken away, leaving a bunch of stuff dumpstered. Yet their buffs are always imperceptible +2 range to a skill no one uses in the first place. At least they do this in-between leagues rather than during, so I'm not actively in the middle of playing my character when it happens.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Clocks posted:

I mean of course their balance team sucks, Blizz hasn't been good at that in as long as I can remember. But yea they probably do have good data to say, "Wow everyone following that template is way way stronger than any other build"

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Diablo 4 so chock full of family motifs that it’d make Vin Diesel blush

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

soscannonballs posted:

Thats cool but literally none of the other builds for my class are fun for me

I guarantee you haven't tried them in any meaningful capacity

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I guess the "no nerfs until [some condition]" attitude is one you can have, not that I personally get it, but please be advised that no multiplayer video game where builds exist is ever going to work like that at launch. There will be overlooked stuff where the devs did not correctly anticipate how absurdly overpowered (or underpowered) some combination was, but a hundred thousand monkeys will find that combination in minutes. It will quickly brought in line with the expected power level through some rough, high-magnitude change. This is done to ensure that players do not feel compelled to optimize themselves out of playing in a style they enjoy, which is something players will absolutely do if there's an option that's significantly more powerful than others. So it goes.

Anyhow, having not followed the prerelease stuff at all: wow the mmo stuff sure doesn't add anything to the experience. I did the intro, which was nice and atmospheric, arrive in town, do the stuff needed to allow me to sync with the world at large and immediately find myself standing next to a large half-naked man named BigSexy. Now, I don't begrudge BigSexy for living their best life, and fashioning for themselves an avatar imbued with the two qualities they seek. I also don't see why Blizzard thinks having them hanging around in my grimdark gothic fantasy RPG will help me immerse myself and make my gaming experience better. I am guessing Blizzard in fact don't think it makes my experience better, but they do think that live service games where you can use social pressure to help sell rare cosmetics and fomo crap make way more money. I realize Blizzard has been sailing away on that ship for a while but, man, running into the effects of that prioritization (see also: timed open world mechanics, the front-and-center cash shop with its ridiculous prices, etc) does not feel great.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
Didn't notice the patch notes and was wondering why my arc lash lightning build started feeling meh. I ended up specing out of lucky hits and stun and putting more focus on chilled with frostbolt enchantment. Things still feel okay in wt2 hardcore but im terrified of my capstone dungeon and wt3.

Feels like they could of buffed some of the other sorc builds which feel a bit lacking while they were at it.

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.
Feeling pretty weak leveling as sorc in the mid 20s. I have tried a few builds, including the icy veins chain lightning build, but I just spend a lot of time waiting on cooldowns and mana. Maybe I am just bad?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Clocks posted:

Story wise I thought the CGI cutscene in the last part of the game was kickass.

That said (endgame/general spoilers) I felt like we had little motivation for basically the entire game? Lilith seems like the only thing that actually gave a poo poo about sanctuary. Certainly it wasn't Inarius (who murdered his son and tried to murder his wifey, just to try to get back into heaven which didn't want him). Yet I guess since she's demon she's automatically bad or something, idk, yet we're willing to side with Mephisto because... Lilith bad, I guess? Mostly it seems like the player character is just swept along for the ride for other people's revenge fantasies.

Wasn't a huge fan of Neyrelle either, but I feel like she was also the only one with a decent point at the end, which is if the choice is to seal up Lilith or a prime evil we should probably seal the prime evil?? But then she goes off on an adventure by holding a big glowy soulstone in her hand and drops it on the ground so that'll work out great I'm sure. :downs:

I guess the one thing I can come up with is that we are in love with the idea of free will and having no protectors watching over us whatsoever. Which as we saw with Inarius, who was basically just using human lives to his own end — meh, ok I guess.

I mean, I'll admit I am not really up to date on all the previous lore of all the other games if that would somehow help explain things.

The issue is that while Lilith is right, how she does it is super hosed up.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

mbt posted:

I guarantee you haven't tried them in any meaningful capacity

I tried all the builds with most of the aspects for my class, but keep making assumptions in order to justify lovely behavior by the billion dollar company

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

RedQueen posted:

Feeling pretty weak leveling as sorc in the mid 20s. I have tried a few builds, including the icy veins chain lightning build, but I just spend a lot of time waiting on cooldowns and mana. Maybe I am just bad?

Agree, might jump off my Sorc for a bit and level something else

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

lmao

balance patches really bring out the :qq:

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

I saw the OP build videos a week ago. They should have a guy at Blizzard that watches YouTube so they’re not surprised by this stuff

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone use the Preparation specialization for the Rogue? Compared to the others it feels super under-powered but I'm probably not playing around it correctly.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Like, I get that eating a nerf stings, but everyone knew this stuff was coming. And how much pain can it be with the game only being out a couple of days?

soscannonballs posted:

I tried all the builds with most of the aspects for my class, but keep making assumptions in order to justify lovely behavior by the billion dollar company

If you've tried every build for your class with most of the aspects in the game 3 days after release maybe it's okay to acknowledge that you were on the bleeding edge and likely to run into a problem or two.

Also, if all the other builds and aspects were unattractive, maybe a nerf was indeed needed.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 4, 2023

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

soscannonballs posted:

You 100% did not do that

J
Jun 10, 2001

Clocks posted:

I thought it was real odd how Neyrelle puts Mephisto in the soulstone and he says good job you all just hosed up then Neyrelle casually smiles at the PC and strolls through a red portal with Mephisto's wolf chilling in it. Real trustworthy portal you got right there??

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

rally posted:

Is there a goon clan that isn’t full?

I think most aren’t? But YTHRL has room for sure.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Clocks posted:

This is the entire glyph system we're talking about. An entire system! I also have doubts about them nerfing the top builds. Were they really so OP they deserved the nerf, or would we have been better served trying to make the various other builds a bit better? That's a legit question by the way — maybe the nerfs really were justified. But I feel like when devs do snap decisions like this it instills the opposite of confidence in me. Doesn't mean the end result can't work out, just find it interesting that some people view this as competence and others don't.

I remember the 500% thing. And I'll be honest, I am not a huge fan of PoE's balancing team either. They love to do the ole GGG triple down on nerfs that they never reverse even after league power has been taken away, leaving a bunch of stuff dumpstered. Yet their buffs are always imperceptible +2 range to a skill no one uses in the first place. At least they do this in-between leagues rather than during, so I'm not actively in the middle of playing my character when it happens.

The entire glyph system is just legendary gems from Diablo 3 in a "skill tree" format to appease the D2 lovers. It being so out of whack immediately kind of demonstrates why a paragon / glyph system is broken to start with and it's hilarious that they didn't realize it was that OP when they looted at it's past version (legendary gems).

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Zotix posted:

Right the point is there aren't other solid builds to play if you don't already have hard to obtain aspects.

youre brain is irreperably damaged by reading build guides and videos lol

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Xerophyte posted:

I guess the "no nerfs until [some condition]" attitude is one you can have, not that I personally get it, but please be advised that no multiplayer video game where builds exist is ever going to work like that at launch. There will be overlooked stuff where the devs did not correctly anticipate how absurdly overpowered (or underpowered) some combination was, but a hundred thousand monkeys will find that combination in minutes. It will quickly brought in line with the expected power level through some rough, high-magnitude change. This is done to ensure that players do not feel compelled to optimize themselves out of playing in a style they enjoy, which is something players will absolutely do if there's an option that's significantly more powerful than others. So it goes.

Anyhow, having not followed the prerelease stuff at all: wow the mmo stuff sure doesn't add anything to the experience. I did the intro, which was nice and atmospheric, arrive in town, do the stuff needed to allow me to sync with the world at large and immediately find myself standing next to a large half-naked man named BigSexy. Now, I don't begrudge BigSexy for living their best life, and fashioning for themselves an avatar imbued with the two qualities they seek. I also don't see why Blizzard thinks having them hanging around in my grimdark gothic fantasy RPG will help me immerse myself and make my gaming experience better. I am guessing Blizzard in fact don't think it makes my experience better, but they do think that live service games where you can use social pressure to help sell rare cosmetics and fomo crap make way more money. I realize Blizzard has been sailing away on that ship for a while but, man, running into the effects of that prioritization (see also: timed open world mechanics, the front-and-center cash shop with its ridiculous prices, etc) does not feel great.

Did you tell BigSexy about the cash shop emote that is literally a half naked druid whipping themselves with a cat of nine tails? You should have.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
you, literal npc tier thought patterns: Brother. The Builds are turbo hosed. Theres nothing playable if I can't carbon copy this youtube video.

me, normal: wheee everything asplode!! wahoo!!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The number of posters in this thread who're pushing the hardest content in the game 2 days after release is pretty wild. Y'all got streams?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Finished the campaign. It was good, a little uneven at times, but I liked the characters and cutscenes. Absolute miles better than the poo poo show that was the D3 story.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

it just so happens that i can ONLY enjoy the builds which maxroll told me were S tier

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

RedQueen posted:

click buttons on the skill tree that give you the skill you want and more damage for the skill

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

RedQueen posted:

i never looked at a guide, chain lightning sorc got me through t2 real smoothly albeit with some ups and down based on my own stubbornness when it came to upgrades. then the capstone was a cakewalk

just did a helltide and swapped out several pieces of gear thanks to it, game owns

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
just hit 50 and opened the paragon board, cant wait to experiment. warning for our guide obsessed friends out there: you will be scared when you see it. its ok. breathe deeply and open up icy veins lol.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Yeah, there's still lots of good, fun builds. WW barb (channeled movespeed skill) playstyle is a favorite of mine too, and I was super excited to start D4 with it which also explains part of why im so salty.

The glyph nerf is interesting because it's large enough that you have to wonder why it wasn't instituted prior to EA. There's no way the devs did not know how much player power glyphs provided. Not for them to nerf *all bonuses* by at least 33% only 3 days into the game.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

InventorOfTrees posted:

D3 had invincibility in the game on launch so pretty much anything is an improvement! POE has had it invincibility to but it wasn't as easy to accomplish and discover.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 4, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

thats not candy posted:

act v and vi were way longer than i expected them to be, and totally owned. stayed up way too late but thankfully its a perfect summer night and im 39 years old

was 51 when i finished the campaign. stoked to re-optimize some gear tomorrow and shoot for wt3

drat, it's wild that it took you 12 years to finish the Diablo IV campaign

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

spin barb still feels really strong, I wouldnt be surprised if they also nerf vuln stacking or Exploit (theres a glyph called Exploit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

Doomykins posted:

The number of posters in this thread who're pushing the hardest content in the game 2 days after release is pretty wild. Y'all got streams?

I don't have time for streams I have to face tank this world boss in 5 minutes.