Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

To start a round you'll be handed 8 cards - call Grand Tichu to gain/bust for 200 instead, but you only have 8 cards with which to do it. If you don't call Grand Tichu you'll get 6 additional cards.

You still get your additional cards if you call Grand, you just don't get to see what they are before you make the call so they might be absolute garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Acolyte! posted:

You still get your additional cards if you call Grand, you just don't get to see what they are before you make the call so they might be absolute garbage.

Oof, good catch!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Looks like I'm going to be playing the EU board game tomorrow, any tips or things to look out for on the first play? Thankfully it should be a first play for everyone, though it means there's no one to be the expert.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Carillon posted:

Looks like I'm going to be playing the EU board game tomorrow, any tips or things to look out for on the first play? Thankfully it should be a first play for everyone, though it means there's no one to be the expert.

Watch out for brexit, and don't vote for austerity

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Carillon posted:

I assume you mean Europa Universalis: The Price of Power, the recent board game based on the Paradox video game series? I honestly haven't heard a peep about it yet.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So trip report on EU: The Price of Power. We basically got through one age starting at 9 and going until about 4. Things did pick up after 12 or so once through one we had a better, though still not super fast. There a lot going on, and a lot of actions have three or four different knock on effects that require you to read through the rules and sometimes make judgement calls on it. It also felt like some powers were off. In a corner, able to expand without much in the way of the other players being about to do much,mainly Spain. Where as France had to fight other player powers pretty quickly to hit their mission goals. Lastly the cards really affected what you get to do. Our England player saw 6-7 subjugate cards despite having no allies, whereas I was the Austrians saw none even through I had a number of alliances and influence ready to go. Bring stuck with an expensive and useless hand feels bad when the other players are upgrading their small cities or researching tech for cheap. I don't know how you really distill the EU video games back into a board game, this felt like it tries, but includes too much complexity and the cards really limit your actions if you don't get what you need.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Carillon posted:

It also felt like some powers were off. In a corner, able to expand without much in the way of the other players being about to do much,mainly Spain. Where as France had to fight other player powers pretty quickly to hit their mission goals.

I mean, this part seems to just reflect actual history.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Mr. Squishy posted:

GtR's mystique as a grail game is definitely bigger than the game itself. But I suspect this is the case with all grail games, apart from maybe Tigris and Euphretes. It's definitely a game of reacting well because there are so many cards flying around that you can't really plan for anything. I don't think luck is too big a factor, but I don't know the game well enough really. Normally games get too zero-sum take-thattish when played down to 2. I don't know if GtR would suffer from that because figuring out what you can do is taxing enough that you can't dedicate your brain to what your one opponent can do, and how to stop them.

Wait Tigris and Euphrates is a grail game? I have a copy and it’s been played and I love it. It’s actually the only game I had my FLGS special order for me. I just checked and it’s the Mayfair 2008 version.

Edit: I also have a copy of napoleons triumph back from when it was 150 bucks. I’m used scotch tape to get the stickers to stay on the metal and it’s kind of awful but I do still have the second set of stickers unused.

fr0id fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 4, 2023

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

fr0id posted:

Wait Tigris and Euphrates is a grail game? I have a copy and it’s been played and I love it. It’s actually the only game I had my FLGS special order for me. I just checked and it’s the Mayfair 2008 version.

I have the FFG reprint I got at my FLGS in their briefly lived used section for $20 and it's my best game steal I've gotten. That includes the $3 copy of Lost Cities my wife found at a Nieman Marcus outlet, of all places.

Re: Tichu, I always enjoy that game BUT I get stomped every single time. One half of our most frequent gaming pal couples used to play a lot of Bridge and climbing/trick taking games in her family growing up. She has the best natural talent and instinct for that game and no matter who her teammate is she'll run circles around the other team. It's a good one to suggest to brighten the mood after she experiences an agonizingly close loss in a different game.

I get dunked on similarly whenever I play Patchwork against mrs. canyoneer. She has a special talent for those sort of spacial puzzles and I have maybe a 5% win rate against her.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
It’s not super related to board games but I tried out an escape room jigsaw puzzle and it was a decent time. The most interesting gimmick is that the image is somewhat different from what is presented on the box. Although once you finish the jigsaw puzzle the actual “puzzles” you are asked to solve are just stupid “count x similar things” or variations of that to get a 3 or 4 digit number and that’s your reward; it’s not as if you do anything with the numbers.

I’d rate it 5/10 because it is slightly more stimulating than a regular jigsaw puzzle but in the end it’s just a jigsaw puzzle.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

El Burro seems to be the sequel to La Granja, which I absolutely adored. Crowdfunded-only, and it's only got a few days left for orders. Seems to be a little heavier than La Granja.

There isn't much content out about it, a few videos and the rulebook. I've never crowdfunded a game before, but this one is tempting. Kinda pricey.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Old Swerdlow posted:

It’s not super related to board games but I tried out an escape room jigsaw puzzle and it was a decent time. The most interesting gimmick is that the image is somewhat different from what is presented on the box. Although once you finish the jigsaw puzzle the actual “puzzles” you are asked to solve are just stupid “count x similar things” or variations of that to get a 3 or 4 digit number and that’s your reward; it’s not as if you do anything with the numbers.

I’d rate it 5/10 because it is slightly more stimulating than a regular jigsaw puzzle but in the end it’s just a jigsaw puzzle.

It depends a bit on the difficulty. When talking about the Ravensburger ones, for example, the witch hut was easy to get all the pieces, but how to get to the final solution required some thinking. The vampire, castle, however, I could barely do 4 out of the 8 puzzles before I had to resort to online help. The final solution was easy though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The "Escape the Room" jigsaws puzzles are more interesting, I find - you put together mini puzzles, solve stuff in them, then do the next puzzle. Less time spent on puzzle assembling, more on puzzle solving.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Morpheus posted:

The "Escape the Room" jigsaws puzzles are more interesting, I find - you put together mini puzzles, solve stuff in them, then do the next puzzle. Less time spent on puzzle assembling, more on puzzle solving.

Yeah, we've done a couple of these, the lighthouse and the... Jungle? One? The lighthouse was probably better in terms of novelty and puzzles. But both really good, and different from the normal ones.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Captain Theron posted:

I mean, this part seems to just reflect actual history.

Well right, but the game is not meant to be a simulation or just an experience generator, but actually something that works as a competitive game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

!Klams posted:

Yeah, we've done a couple of these, the lighthouse and the... Jungle? One? The lighthouse was probably better in terms of novelty and puzzles. But both really good, and different from the normal ones.

Nah that's 'Exit', I think. I'm talking about...oh wait the brand is Escape Room: The Game (these are hard to keep track of), the specific one we did was this:

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/escape-room-the-game-puzzle-adventures-the-secret-of-the-scientist-multicolour/6000203545364

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Just got home from WellyCon - New Zealand's biggest board game convention weekend. I'm shattered but played a few great games I'll be keen to share some thoughts on when I've slept.
is everything we played.
New to us was Expeditions, Pulsar 2849, The Wolves, Star Wars Deckbuilding, Starcrappers Orbital, and Great Western Trail New Zealand.

Spiteski fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 5, 2023

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Morpheus posted:

Nah that's 'Exit', I think. I'm talking about...oh wait the brand is Escape Room: The Game (these are hard to keep track of), the specific one we did was this:

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/escape-room-the-game-puzzle-adventures-the-secret-of-the-scientist-multicolour/6000203545364

OH! Sorry, right I see.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Longtime lurker first time poster here. Did anyone get the new edition of Tragedy Looper yet? I was thinking about picking up a copy; it's my favorite board game (that none of my friends want to play) and I like that some of the conponents are revised to be brighter and more clear. No more having to explain the difference between murder plan, murderer and murder incident.

But some people online are complaining about typoes and missing components, and I want to know what the quality of the new edition is like.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Did they fix the translation issues?

I haven't played Tragedy Looper in like five years. It's a real....tragedy.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

How did you get that photo of me?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Bit of a crosspost from the general chat thread, since I missed this one:

A couple friends and I recently finished up Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion. We (and a couple others) are interested in playing some more legacy/campaign games but not really sure where to turn. Is there a good list or resource for solid games in the genre? We're currently looking at Pandemic Legacy as a possible next game, but honestly I wasn't huge on base Pandemic's gameplay and tendency to devolve into quarterbacking. Are there other games y'all might recommend? I don't think we're looking to dive into base Gloomhaven or Frosthaven at the moment, but I personally had a good time playing through Jaws and feeling a definite sense of progression and strength - hopefully looking to find something similar. Ideally cooperative rather than competitive and hopefully in a way where everyone gets to contribute rather than one person telling everyone what to do.

Thanks!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The incrementally increasing complexity of the Pandemic Legacy games does a lot to thwart QBing. There's simply no way for a single person to keep all the rules, and all the roles, in their head. I thought the first season was great fun and great value. I've been less enthusiastic about Seasons 2 and 0, but it's a very low investment and worth it to try Season 1 I think. Amazon has it for $70, which works out to roughly $1 a round (or month, in the game's parlance) per person (assuming 4 players). That said, base Pandemic was my gateway drug into modern games and I absolutely loved it. If you were meh on the base game, it might not do much to change your mind.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
People seem to enjoy Oathsworn for a game similar to Gloomhaven, but if the buy-in/commitment is the issue, that may not be the choice.

You may try looking into Arkham Horror LCG. Pick up a revised core set for each pair of players and grab one of the boxed campaigns and you’re off to the races for eight play sessions. Quarterbacking is more or less impossible due to the complexity of game states and the amount of information that is not very transparent (players will have different decks with different mechanics, different cards in hand, etc.)

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Space Alert with the expansion. You will get a sense of improvement as you gradually stop exploding all the time.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

We've really been enjoying Arkham LCG this year; the campaigns aren't insanely long (8 scenarios unless you include side stories) but it sounds like it might suit your criteria.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

theshim posted:

A couple friends and I recently finished up Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion. We (and a couple others) are interested in playing some more legacy/campaign games but not really sure where to turn. Is there a good list or resource for solid games in the genre? We're currently looking at Pandemic Legacy as a possible next game, but honestly I wasn't huge on base Pandemic's gameplay and tendency to devolve into quarterbacking. Are there other games y'all might recommend? I don't think we're looking to dive into base Gloomhaven or Frosthaven at the moment, but I personally had a good time playing through Jaws and feeling a definite sense of progression and strength - hopefully looking to find something similar. Ideally cooperative rather than competitive and hopefully in a way where everyone gets to contribute rather than one person telling everyone what to do.

Thanks!

Oathsworn is really good, most of my group likes it more than Gloomhaven, I like Gloomhaven slightly more.

We’ve also put a lot of time into Middara. It’s the long form campaign based board game we’ve put the most time into by a long shot. It’s extremely anime as a warning, but character building in it is fun. Some good branching content and paths in the story, too.

Gloomhaven’s combat suffers if you have slow players in your group. Middara is a sweet spot for speed for us on getting a good amount of stuff done in a game night.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

theshim posted:

Thanks!

Etherfields

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

We did a single session of Etherfields and didn’t hate it, but weren’t super into it either, so it’s been shelved for a while.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I got invited to a Gloomhaven: JTL campaign and an Oathsworn campaign within two weeks. G:JTL was first so I'm locked in but lol. Come on!

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I played Iki, a Kennerspiel 2023 nominee despite technically being a years-old game, and tentatively think it's pretty good. I can't shake the feeling that with the benefit given every time your pawn makes a complete loop of the board and the role of other players filling board spaces with shops that (may) benefit them when landed upon that it's like someone took the very core of Monopoly mechanics and made something competent out of it. I particularly enjoyed the aspects of player interaction where you could try to hide your employees behind other players who had bought protection against fire, or use careful timing of stopping at someone's shop to send that employee off the board, admittedly benefiting the owner but perhaps also screwing up someone's plan to shop there or use the employee as a fire shield.

It's not rated very well on BGG despite its nomination though, leading me to wonder if has a boring one-button strategy lurking I didn't notice on the first play (e.g. Wingspan* lay eggs or Ticket to Ride build long trains) or something.

*Also a Kennerspiel game, I'd note

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

SuperKlaus posted:

I played Iki, a Kennerspiel 2023 nominee despite technically being a years-old game

I believe Spiel des Jahres awards only consider when a game is released in Germany, which can cause some delayed awards when the original publisher is Japanese for example and doesn't have a formal German version for a while

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Isn't wingspan like a top 20 rated game? I've only ever heard good things

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

wingspan is a fine but bland game, unexciting compared to other titles in its complexity range. it did teach me a lot about birds though

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

ilmucche posted:

Isn't wingspan like a top 20 rated game? I've only ever heard good things

It's 25 on BGG's Rankings at time of writing. That's is a system with some issues (it skews towards heavier and more complicated games and sometimes hyped crowdfunded projects) but is at least reasonably indicative of what enthusiast gamers are thinking. Goons are often

The issue as far as I understand it is that in Wingspan near the end of the game, since ever Egg is worth 1 point and you can often lay 3-4 eggs by the end of the game, other actions simply aren't going to gain you that many points so it can feel a bit rote at the end. In the game every player gets exactly 26 actions, so it's kind of a bummer if 3 or 4 of them in the end of the game are just spent laying eggs. Now, I've only played it 3-5 times or so and I still enjoy it. In my very non-expert opinion, I think this complaint might be slightly overstated for two reasons: you still get to activate your birds in your grasslands and gain synergies from them and you still need to have birds with available space to lay eggs onto.

But then again I am also just :lovebird:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I played Flamecraft over the weekend. First off, the game oozes cuteness goddamn everywhere and honestly I like the art. Mechanically the game is pretty simple but not in a way I find particularly compelling. Like, I feel like there's a tier of game between the likes of Monopoly, Sorry! and others and the groggy enthusiast complex stuff and this game falls squarely into there. The retail game comes with a neoprene mat for a board and it gets major props for that at least.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

The Kickstarter campaign for Aeon Trespass: Odyssey’s reprint+expansions+standalone expansion/sequel is down to its final 12 hours which means I need to finally decide if I am going to commit to one of the “discounted” bundles.

My usual rule is to get the cheapest buy-in possible to a game/system, then play and determine if it is something I want to commit more money to expanding on. But the combination of near-universal (today’s hour-long No Pun Included review being a notable exception) praise, limited-time discount, and lack of retail availability has me pretty tempted to go all-in at the moment.

I liked what I saw of the TTS demo I played and the playthroughs I have watched, though not quite enough to feel 100% ready to commit to what is a silly amount of money to be spending on a board game. I feel like I have seen enough to know that I will enjoy playing it but it feels like a big bet to be making on my ability to want to play it beyond the honeymoon period, to the point that I would actually commit the hundreds of hours to see all of the campaigns.

It feels like I would have to replace my “board game hobby” with an “Aeon Trespass: Odyssey” hobby for a year to really make it worthwhile and I don’t know if that makes much sense for me.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 7, 2023

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Nvm!

Azran fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Played a couple of sessions of Welcome To the Moon, game is fine, but the arrangement of stuff in the box is unhinged - there are a couple of decks of cards that are sealed and labelled 'don't open yet', but it turns out you have to open them anyway to pull out some important cards to start with. Exactly one vital card in each sealed deck

played us for absolute fools, etc