Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

MrMojok posted:

Everyone drops

Everyone fights

Everyone shitposts

EVERYONE POSTS

NO ONE EDITS

IF YOU EDIT YOUR POSTS I WILL PROBE YOU MYSELF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Parkingtigers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntKLXqvrd8Q

Okay, I still hate boosting AI art stuff, but this slideshow of Aliens as an ‘80s anime is once again super relevant to this thread’s interests.

Not sure how I feel about kawaii Vasquez.

:hmmyes: This makes me want an Aliens / EDF style game.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Looks like business is slow. :(

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Looks like business is slow. :(

Idk, could be bursting with success :twisted:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
business is bustin

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Gonna be the rear end in a top hat who rewrites a joke to say it shoulda had "free hugs" instead of French kiss.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
I'll only accept the free hugs joke if the facehugger has a smaller booth next to the bigger kissing booth.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

Parkingtigers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntKLXqvrd8Q

Okay, I still hate boosting AI art stuff, but this slideshow of Aliens as an ‘80s anime is once again super relevant to this thread’s interests.

Not sure how I feel about kawaii Vasquez.

I think how much the AIs dropped the ball on Hudson really shows the shortcomings of AI art. I thought it was just Hicks continuing on. I don't know about you guys but its pretty easy for me to imagine anime Bill Paxton and that ain't it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
https://twitter.com/ultrabrilliant/status/1666344244292755456?s=20

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Hell yeah, a friend gave me the Alien chopsticks.

She also got me the kid's book about Jonsey on the Nostromo, which I'm sure the thread has talked about. It's wonderful.

I got both of the above gifts at separate times from the same friend because she knows that I'm often Thinkin' About Aliens.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Was thinking about Aliens while I was at the thrift store today, and realized I do own the awesome DVD box that came out years ago, but I do not own the movies in high definition. $9 later, and the situation was rectified.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

where can i buy this

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
There was an easy to activate mod for Alien Isolation so you could play it in VR. Easily one of the most terrifying gaming experiences I've had (10 out of 10 would recommend). That game really deserves a sequel if they can put some real soul into it.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I think playing that game in VR would actually kill me

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Red Rox posted:

I think playing that game in VR would actually kill me

Only one way to find out!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I couldn't play that game. I had a hard enough time watching other people play it on twitch.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Xenomrph posted:

Only one way to find out!

Just thinking about it (Alien Isolation (the game (in VR))) gives me the cold sweats.

After finishing the game I couldn't even bring myself to play the DLC or whatever where you play through parts of the first movie.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The DLC is straight-up impossible. I never made it through the labyrinthine air ducts, got frustrated and stopped playing.

Something has changed in me recently because I can barely play the base game either, but not out of frustration, out of legitimate fear. The first two or three playthrough I felt tense but could get through it; last time I fired up my PS4 and threw it on I was literally sweating just trying to sneak around a single Working Joe.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, that game for me is always a real fear/adrenaline fest. And I can’t even imagine trying to play it in VR.

I’m honestly not sure I could do that. Playing it in a dark room just watching on my 24” monitor and listening on a good set is headphones… that’s about all I can take.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Something interesting about Alien: Isolation is that there's a simple mod that just removes the Alien completely from the game, but the lighting is so perfect, the atmosphere so strong, and of course the other dangers in the form of the working joes/other survivors/environmental stuff still makes it an intense game.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

Something interesting about Alien: Isolation is that there's a simple mod that just removes the Alien completely from the game, but the lighting is so perfect, the atmosphere so strong, and of course the other dangers in the form of the working joes/other survivors/environmental stuff still makes it an intense game.

Sevastapol Station really is a brilliantly designed setting for a game. I've seen a few comments that I agree with on various YT vids, that wished there was a mod that could show you what it was like before the arrival of the Xenomorph, when things hadn't gone completely to poo poo and you could just walk around looking at things.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Sevastapol Station really is a brilliantly designed setting for a game. I've seen a few comments that I agree with on various YT vids, that wished there was a mod that could show you what it was like before the arrival of the Xenomorph, when things hadn't gone completely to poo poo and you could just walk around looking at things.

I feel like they missed an opportunity with this with all the survivor DLC. Instead of challenge rooms it would have been interesting to have those objectives being done while the place was fine and they're just sabotaging/stealing something and various degress of how far to poo poo the place has gone.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mister Speaker posted:

The DLC is straight-up impossible. I never made it through the labyrinthine air ducts, got frustrated and stopped playing.

Something has changed in me recently because I can barely play the base game either, but not out of frustration, out of legitimate fear. The first two or three playthrough I felt tense but could get through it; last time I fired up my PS4 and threw it on I was literally sweating just trying to sneak around a single Working Joe.
My ability to play games like that vary based on my general mood.

Normal mood - oh wow scary!
Already riddled with anxiety - fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck nope
Stressed but in an angry way - loving working joe bullshit piece of ugh

I stopped playing Amnesia because of the last one, I was stuck on one bit with this guy stalking me through a labyrinth while I tried to perform some kind of fetch quest and I went from :gonk: to :argh: somewhere around the third time getting lost

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Oh boy you guys, I just watched Aliens. You guys are so dumb that you didn’t realize it’s a TOTAL rip off of StarCraft, Halo and Avatar and even Doom. Gosh darn it, this James Cameron fellow has absolutely no original ideas at all!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

tango alpha delta posted:

Oh boy you guys, I just watched Aliens. You guys are so dumb that you didn’t realize it’s a TOTAL rip off of StarCraft, Halo and Avatar and even Doom. Gosh darn it, this James Cameron fellow has absolutely no original ideas at all!

Didn't someone in this thread awhile ago (or maybe the other one in CineD?) mention showing Aliens to their kid+their kid's friends and some of them thinking it was like Team Fortress 2 when they're on the Sulaco on their way to the colony

I mean it's kids so whatever but what a choice lol

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Aliens and TF2 are pretty much the same thing when you think about it. Makes you think.

:thunk:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Neo Rasa posted:

Didn't someone in this thread awhile ago (or maybe the other one in CineD?) mention showing Aliens to their kid+their kid's friends and some of them thinking it was like Team Fortress 2 when they're on the Sulaco on their way to the colony

I mean it's kids so whatever but what a choice lol
If you've played much tf2 with voice chat on and people you at least vaguely know then that's really not a bad comparison. Bullshitting over comms waiting for the door to slide up has a very similar vibe to the drop banter.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 17, 2023

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's a really weird comparison.

There could be pre-battle banter with literally any fighting game. I mean, there is. I do it all the time in many different games to this day.

Why is TF2 significant?

quick edit: I'm a moron, it was a kid who saw a relation in a game. Not gonna delete my post. Sorry!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

That's a really weird comparison.

There could be pre-battle banter with literally any fighting game. I mean, there is. I do it all the time in many different games to this day.

Why is TF2 significant?

quick edit: I'm a moron, it was a kid who saw a relation in a game. Not gonna delete my post. Sorry!
Even ignoring the kid aspect, most team vs team games with setup times I've played have more actual setup to do or not quite so diegetic "waiting room" mechanics or allow one side to trigger the start at will or even just put you in a much bigger spawn area. TF2 is one of the few (or few in my experience, I'm old and out of touch) where you regularly have no choice but to cool your heels in a small enclosed area with the rest of your team for a full minute with nothing to do but bullshit, wait for stragglers, and maybe change class. And then the door opens and it's all gogogogogo and violence.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Splicer posted:

Even ignoring the kid aspect, most team vs team games with setup times I've played have more actual setup to do or not quite so diegetic "waiting room" mechanics or allow one side to trigger the start at will or even just put you in a much bigger spawn area. TF2 is one of the few (or few in my experience, I'm old and out of touch) where you regularly have no choice but to cool your heels in a small enclosed area with the rest of your team for a full minute with nothing to do but bullshit, wait for stragglers, and maybe change class. And then the door opens and it's all gogogogogo and violence.

There are other options....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUPzN7tp7bQ&t=244s

Skip to about 6:40ish for (forced) trivia games!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I would vote for Rand Paul. That guy who got beat up by his neighbor for throwing his leaves on that guys lawn. loving hero!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I would vote for Rand Paul. That guy who got beat up by his neighbor for throwing his leaves on that guys lawn. loving hero!

This video was 15 years ago. RON Paul dude. The guy that would have changed our country for the better!!!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I was thinking of this video as I typed up the post :allears:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Splicer posted:

I was thinking of this video as I typed up the post :allears:

:glomp:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

This video was 15 years ago. RON Paul dude. The guy that would have changed our country for the better!!!

I thought he was dead. Wait, no, I Hoped he was dead

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mister Speaker posted:

Pull the map up, the ducts are actually quite small. That DLC is the shortest amount all of them.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Only 2 days away from the release of Aliens: Dark Descent. And I messed up this month and won't be able to buy it until payday. Anyone going in day one, please post a trip report. Game looks good as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
got disney+ for avatar 2, forgot aliens was on there too

everything's coming up cameron