Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Brooklyn Museum's director Anne Pasternak posted a reply to the articles about their Picasso exhibition: https://www.theartnewspaper.com/2023/06/02/picasso-like-our-audiences-can-handle-complexity

quote:

To those who question whether Gadsby’s voice belongs in this exhibit, I would simply ask: Whose interests are threatened by including it? Or, who benefits from excluding it?

The museum's senior curator of feminist art, Catherine Morris (co-curator of the exhibit) had a more succinct response:

https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/18364185712050981/?hl=en
:lmao:

Thanks! :nice:

I notice that the NY Times writer puts the entire weight of the exhibit on Gadsby's shoulders and dismisses the other co-curators as having been "roped in" to assist but reading through the museum's response they talk about how the planning for exhibition and it's tone were already well underway when Gadsby was invited to co-curate, I'm guessing that they didn't have a huge role in choosing the works that were going to be included. Many of the works were borrowed from other museums so they may have already been locked in at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And the exhibition was apparently funded by the people who caused the opioid epidemic.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Cowslips Warren posted:

came here to post this.

wasn't there some poo poo lately in the UK where people were saying, and quite proudly, that he would be against all this "trans garbage" much like JK Rowling, and Pratchett's daughter came out and put the fuckers in their place? that they could have JK Rowling as a transphobe but they certainly don't get Pratchett because he was not one.

Yeah, in the immediate aftermath a whole pile of trans/NB people came out and described their very positive personal encounters with him, e.g.

https://twitter.com/thetallulahhh/status/1422487507413917698

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
drat near every book in the Discworld series was about how it doesnt matter what you were born or who the world tells you you're supposed to be, you are who you choose to become and to live your truth.

It's like the racist conservatives who like Star Trek or Musk saying he likes the Culture novels.

They have no loving clue what they're on about.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

dunno if they belong here cause technically they probably were never all that good in the first place, but i noticed cinemasins has fallen off greatly in popularity. they have videos over a month old that haven't cracked 200k. now, some of the older ones are hovering around 500k or slightly more, so it's not like these guys are gonna wind up on the streets or anything, but this is a channel that used to breeze past 1 million per videos within a week easily. they used to perform similarly to Honest Trailers, who unlike them, are doing better than ever.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Mr Interweb posted:

dunno if they belong here cause technically they probably were never all that good in the first place, but i noticed cinemasins has fallen off greatly in popularity. they have videos over a month old that haven't cracked 200k. now, some of the older ones are hovering around 500k or slightly more, so it's not like these guys are gonna wind up on the streets or anything, but this is a channel that used to breeze past 1 million per videos within a week easily. they used to perform similarly to Honest Trailers, who unlike them, are doing better than ever.
Their videos become boring and fairly repetitive past a point since they don't seem to really develop a lot of 'new' jokes. Ryan George who does the Pitch Meeting videos, originally on Screen Rant now on their own channel, talks about working hard to figure out new funny things to say on his vids and not just fall into doing the exact same bits on each movie (beyond his running jokes). But also I think there's still something to the fact that movies and going to the movie theaters to watch them have not recovered from the pandemic and people are just seeing less films; domestic box office numbers are still down like 25% compared to 2019.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

What ever happened to Carlos Mencia?
Seems like he just vanished into the aether after people found out most of his material was stolen.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

the_steve posted:

Seems like he just vanished into the aether after people found out most of his material was stolen.

the dual strike of making Joe Rogan right and popular to people.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr Interweb posted:

I don't know how reliable those Youtube analytics sites are but this one reports that CinemaSins is only getting a third of the views they used to get in 2020, and their subscriptions have been pretty stagnant for a while

According to that site they're still getting around 10 million views a month and I'm guessing a lot of that must be people watching their older videos, their recent videos sure aren't generating that many hits

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mr Interweb posted:

they used to perform similarly to Honest Trailers, who unlike them, are doing better than ever.

Are they? Because that channel used to have a whole lot of other stuff on it, but it's only honest trailers now. I don't know what caused it, but it seems like they used to have more budget for doing other stuff but have had to cut back to just the single most successful thing.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

the_steve posted:

Funny thing, people found out that most of his material was stolen and stopped following him.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Joe Rogan and George Lopez were calling Carlos Mencia out for stealing jokes right around the time the first season of Mind of Mencia aired, and that show got two more seasons. I'm sure that they did not help his reputation/profile, but lots of other comedians get accused of stealing jokes (Dane Cook and Robin Williams being two famous examples) and that specific thing didn't kill their careers. Mencia is still doing some TV work and touring as a stand-up, just not at the level of fame he had fifteen years ago. You could say the same about Larry the Cable Guy or Demetri Martin or Cedric the Entertainer, and I don't think any of them were plagued by scandals, they just sort of fell off of the radar.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tiggum posted:

Are they? Because that channel used to have a whole lot of other stuff on it, but it's only honest trailers now. I don't know what caused it, but it seems like they used to have more budget for doing other stuff but have had to cut back to just the single most successful thing.

At some point they split their content up onto different channels and half of it is now on Fandom Entertainment (formally called ScreenJunkies News). They also changed ownership back in 2018, ScreenJunkies creator Andy Signore now runs a small channel called Movie World Plus where he posts reviews and reaction videos and general movie industry news

They also tried creating their own streaming service Screen Junkies Plus in 2015 which had a bunch of original content but that didn't last long

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

mycatscrimes posted:

Being a constant on the con circuit is it's own kind of celebrity circle with it's own kind of weird fan interactions, but a lot of it involves being accessible to and moving among fans. I wouldn't say it's a one-to-one with running a blog or webforum and cultivating a circle that way, but it's not unrelated. People who get away with poo poo on the con circuit often abuse the sense of community that is fostered there. In Asimov's case, there was a pervasive dismassal of him as just as a harmless guy who took a joke (repeated unwanted groping) too far sometime, but in addition to being Isaac Asimov, he's also here with us. This ties back into rape culture and societal misogyny- the victims probably are overreacting, they actually enjoy it, it's all just joking around, who wouldn't want to flirt with [sexually assault] beautiful women in his position, no one wants to alienate our community's good relationship with Isaac Asimov over a bunch of misunderstandings and overreactions.

It's very, very related to the dynamic cultivated by Ellis and others who used internet groups as their hunting grounds.

This is definitely the case. Nerd circles take those general issues with fame and intensify it. Not that other social circles don’t have their abusers and such but the geek social fallacies (https://plausiblydeniable.com/five-geek-social-fallacies/) mean that lovely people can basically burrow in and have an extremely pervasive influence. Asimov was able to do this for decades.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

GhastlyBizness posted:

This is definitely the case. Nerd circles take those general issues with fame and intensify it. Not that other social circles don’t have their abusers and such but the geek social fallacies (https://plausiblydeniable.com/five-geek-social-fallacies/) mean that lovely people can basically burrow in and have an extremely pervasive influence. Asimov was able to do this for decades.

The Geek Social Fallacies really aren't exclusive to geeks, though there's definitely a specific mix of problems from people who are used to suffering bullying and rejection and have both limited social circles and poor social skills. Pretty much any remotely fringe community has many of the same problems, including various minorities.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Naw, Ellis used to talk about contests he and Gaiman world have about hooking up with fans.

Not to mention ditching his wife and newborn son during quarantine to hook up with a fan.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gaiman was still married when he started talking to Amanda Palmer as well, though perhaps they had already decided to end things by that point. Gaiman’s contact with Amanda Palmer started when she sent him nude photos of herself through the mail, though, and he suggested they meet up.

Although I think having to be married to Amanda Palmer is more punishment than anyone deserves in one lifetime, unless maybe you’re a murderer or something.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer 100% deserved each other in every sense of the word.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Gaiman seems like a poo poo partner, but like Thurston Moore who blew up both his family and band while having a secret affair, I think they’re both just poo poo people and not sex pests.

Though more than willing to be corrected

Ambitious Spider has a new favorite as of 19:16 on Jun 4, 2023

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Lol at Thuston being secret, even the NYT was being snarky about it. Not as snarky as they were about GWHB’s mistress, which ran something like “the young Fitzgerald, who served under Bush in a variety of positions”, but not subtle.

(Edit oops wrong rear end in a top hat)

Remulak has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Jun 4, 2023

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I just watched the 2010 Jonah Hex movie based on the old DC Western comic series and it was a terrible bomb back when it was released so I don't know if you can say it didn't age well if it always stank but you really gotta wonder who greenlit a film where the hero was an ex-Confederate soldier who still wore his Confederate uniform and rejected the legitimacy of the Union. The film goes to fairly significant pains to explain that he wasn't in favour of slavery and actually has a black friend who he trusts and respects and the only reason he fought against the Union was that he was anti-big-government, and in the end he actually turned in his commander and squad because they were trying to slaughter innocents and was considered a hero by the Union forces. But then it goes and plays the traditional pro-Confederate folk song I'm a Good Ol' Rebel over the closing credits which was a real fuckin' choice I gotta say. (They cut out the nastiest lyrics, their version was much much shorter)

Also Michael Fassbender plays a psychopathic Irish character who inexplicably has traditional Maori facial tattoos. :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f63BYEY8Tdw

(Crossposted from CD where I made a longer post going over the general shittiness of the film)

"Now Jonah we both know that you only joined the Confederacy because the uniform brings out the color of your eyes. Jonah Hex, on behalf of all black people every, for all time, I forgive you for being a confederate."

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Remulak posted:

GWB’s mistress,

The what now?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
They probably meant GHWB's rumored mistress Jennifer Fitzgerald.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Naw, Ellis used to talk about contests he and Gaiman world have about hooking up with fans.
Is there a source for this? I'm not clear as to what the timeline for this to have been happening, and there's nothing on the internet or anywhere in general about this contest aside from you mentioning it repeatedly on the forums.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
After the discussion recently about pulp heroes I tracked down a copy of the Billy Zane Phantom movie and just got around to watching it and during the first half I was going "Hey this is actually not bad, I don't know why everyone puts it down so much" but the wheels really fell off in the second half. The plot about the mystical skulls was puerile, the acting was on the level of a bad pantomime, the main villain (a corrupt NYC businessman) was uninteresting and not the slightest bit menacing and worst of all the action scenes were dull. The big climactic fight was between the Phantom and Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa on a pirate ship hidden in a secret underground pirate lair on a hidden island and featured guns and swords and sharks and cannons being shot off and people swinging around on ropes and they somehow managed to make that boring. :wtc:

But it turns out that wasn't the worst live action adaptation of The Phantom made recently, there was a SyFy miniseries in 2009 which was loving terrible. The new Phantom in this version starts out as a cocky orphan who grew up on the mean streets of NYC (seriously why do they always make the Phantom go to NYC every time they do one of these adaptations?) and loves nothing better than doing craaaazy parkour moves and livestreaming them on the internet, but then he discovers his father was the previous Phantom and he has to take up the mantle yadda yadda yadda. His new costume looks like this:

It's just loving embarrassing. Someone uploaded the entire thing on Youtube if you want to subject yourself to some craaazy 00's parkour and bad acting

8one6 posted:

"Now Jonah we both know that you only joined the Confederacy because the uniform brings out the color of your eyes. Jonah Hex, on behalf of all black people every, for all time, I forgive you for being a confederate."

The film actually ends with President Ulysses S Grant begging Jonah Hex to accept the role of Sheriff Of The Entire USA and Hex goes "That's dumb, countries don't have sheriffs ..... but if you need me you know where to find me" and walks off into the sunset with the girl. There's a not-so-subtle subtext throughout the entire film of "Sure, some of those Confederate guys were no good but that Jonah Hex ..... he knew better than anyone, even the president!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not to excuse it but Jonah Hex being an ex-Confederate was part of a Western trend that lasted for quite a while.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Not to excuse it but Jonah Hex being an ex-Confederate was part of a Western trend that lasted for quite a while.

Firefly was probably part of this, too. The series preceded Jonah Hex by a good 8 years, but the movie wasn’t as far separated.

e: Whedon shows up a fair bit in this thread, for good reason :v:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Icon Of Sin posted:

Firefly was probably part of this, too. The series preceded Jonah Hex by a good 8 years, but the movie wasn’t as far separated.

e: Whedon shows up a fair bit in this thread, for good reason :v:
Jonah Hex the ex-confederate vigilante as a comic book character predates Firefly by thirty years.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

Jonah Hex the ex-confederate vigilante as a comic book character predates Firefly by thirty years.

I was just thinking of the movie. “Ex-confederate-turned-vigilante” just reeks of the KKK, though.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Jonah Hex's most recent appearance was in a couple of episodes of Legends of Tomorrow in 2016. They avoided mentioning the Confederacy at all but still had him wear the uniform:

I know technically the uniform is part of his character but when his most notable characteristic is his disfigured face, you'd think at some point they'd give him something else to wear and a lot if not most people wouldn't notice.

AceOfFlames has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Jun 4, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, having a shameful past you want to run away from and re-make yourself out on the frontier where nobody knows who you are and old allegiances are forgotten in the name of survival is a rather large part of the genre. Part of the appeal of the old west is that for a nation of immigrants it allows one to have your old nationality burned away and be re-forged into a True American via rugged individualism.

Mind you, from the sound of it the Jonah Hex movie doesn't ...quite go that direction :stare:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Why does he have that flesh flap across his mouth? Even a 19th century surgeon could take care of that, and it seems like a huge pain in the rear end while eating.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s so he looks cool and so that you know he’s rough and tough.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's just loving embarrassing. Someone uploaded the entire thing on Youtube if you want to subject yourself to some craaazy 00's parkour and bad acting

Watch Phantom 2040 instead and subject yourself to some craaazy 90's cyberpunk animation. I'm 10 episodes in and that show slaps. Corporate greed is killing the planet and corrupt cops are helping. You could drat near release it today as-is.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgkKj2n1LjA_VzcrpMQ8l_NszGmxAA1d0

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

ponzicar posted:

Why does he have that flesh flap across his mouth? Even a 19th century surgeon could take care of that, and it seems like a huge pain in the rear end while eating.

You know how your mom told you as a kid to quit picking at a scab or it'll never heal?

Nobody tells Jonah Hex what to do :clint:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

AceOfFlames posted:

Jonah Hex's most recent appearance was in a couple of episodes of Legends of Tomorrow in 2016. They avoided mentioning the Confederacy at all but still had him wear the uniform:

I know technically the uniform is part of his character but when his most notable characteristic is his disfigured face, you'd think at some point they'd give him something else to wear and a lot if not most people wouldn't notice.

It's a time travel show. They could have used his outfit from when he was stuck in the future.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Icon Of Sin posted:

I was just thinking of the movie. “Ex-confederate-turned-vigilante” just reeks of the KKK, though.
Funny you should say that, the bigger "trend" in Westerns I assumed muscles like this! was talking about was the one in the 1960s-1970s where half of the "revisionist" Westerns have at least one tragic hero/antihero who was an ex-Confederate just trying to escape the past/do right/start a new life in the wild west.

True Grit was probably one of the most successful iterations of this trope, but pretty much every Western star appeared as an ex-Confederate at least once or twice. One of the other major hits of the sub-subgenre was The Outlaw Josey Wales, starring Clint Eastwood as an ex-Rebel driven to desperation after cruel Union soldiers kill his family.

The book Outlaw Josey Wales was adapted from was written by Forrest Carter, who claimed to be a Cherokee author and historian. As it turns out, it was an insanely audacious guy named Asa Carter, a bonafide Klansman, George Wallace speechwriter, and someone who had literally run for governor of Alabama on a White Supremacist platform. A few years later he changed his name, insisted he wasn't Asa Carter, and wrote a belt-selling memoir and a novel that got turned into the 16th most successful film of the year, right between Taxi Driver and Carrie.

So "ex-confederate turned vigilante" was in at least one case literally a 20th century KKK member writing self-insert fantasy, yes.

Edge & Christian has a new favorite as of 22:02 on Jun 4, 2023

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Ex-confederates looking to turn a new leaf wouldn't be wearing the uniform, though, right?

"Yeah, I'm trying to run away from my sordid past as a goon" *wears a Barnacle Jim T-shirt with a grenade pin over jorts*

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Jonah hex was a confederate

But he wasn’t a confederate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of westerns, I ordered the first book in a pulp western series about a cowgirl seeking revenge with her ninja sidekick

I'm hoping it's terrible in a good way, but I have my suspicions it will be full of 80s racism on all fronts