Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Look we don't actually know who bombed Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

It was a lone Serbian anarchist, anyone could have supplied him with the bombs and access to do the terror attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

nani...

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Cuttlefush posted:

been suspecting this since he admitted he posts on his phone and makes those big rear end posts in like 10 minutes

you can tell the real posts because they include a billion screencaps of books

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

atelier morgan posted:

ff's sick enough to screencap on whatever he has in his office then send it to his phone. you simply can't be sure

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

gunther failinger

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

It can get buried in jargon and takes on a life of its own in "dominating the OODA Loop" or whatever

i can dominate your OODA loop if you pay me for it

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
moron. loving idiot. ai can't generate visual text

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

atelier morgan posted:

those pics are AI generated

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
keep thinking that gunther is the gunther from friends

speng31b
May 8, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

hes a nobody who works for an organization that promotes nato

just an internet personality who posts funny things from time to time

yeah i generally lol a little bit when i catch up on what he has been up to

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

speng31b posted:

the ultimate thread reveal: FF has been a large language model the whole time

one hell of a 3rd act twist in the FF as 19th century Austrian artillery instructor ARPG

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My home office is getting cluttered to the point where the nice bookshelf of cells that were supposed to have novels and potted plants is filling up

And the other 3 walls are already shelved and full, with boardgames on one shelf now unfortunately to the ceiling.

Where is Marie Kondo when you need her?

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 21:27 on Jun 4, 2023

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

lol, brings to mind the mil-hist section at Powell's

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Armies of the Dark Ages sounds interesting

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

CODChimera posted:

Armies of the Dark Ages sounds interesting

It's one of the books by Wargame Research Group that have these incredible illustrations,

Really cool, and something you don't see these days.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Something i haven't seen discussed so much is that despite Russia seemingly winning on the battlefield, there is no path to force the Ukrainian government to the negotating table in large part due to the propaganda push and the ramping up of domestic oppression. With US support/elite capture/coersion I don't see any pressure for Ukrainian decision makers to negotiate peace.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Regarde Aduck posted:

why is he like that? Who was he before all this kicked off? He's quite the 'character'

If I recall, he was a semi-pro Drew Carry impersonator.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

My home office is getting cluttered to the point where the nice bookshelf of cells that were supposed to have novels and potted plants is filling up

And the other 3 walls are already shelved and full, with boardgames on one shelf now unfortunately to the ceiling.

Where is Marie Kondo when you need her?

get cato wife to fix it, she could benefit from achieving material change somewhere

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

look back there. ff double parks his fuckin books

dacians and getae at war? sounds like my last playthrough of europa barbarorum. also good opsec on the study guide.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

lol that's an impressive reference there, wonder how many people even noticed the connection

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Cuttlefush posted:

look back there. ff double parks his fuckin books

Ok, only a filthy human would do that. He's definitely not an AI.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

BadOptics posted:

Ok, only a filthy human would do that. He's definitely not an AI.

you think those books are real? also those shelves are like the equivalent of many-fingered hands. books are usually found next to other books so it makes sense that an ai bookshelf would have far more books than it should

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

you think those books are real?

do you believe your posts are real?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

HiroProtagonist posted:

get cato wife to fix it, she could benefit from achieving material change somewhere

Presented without commentary

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

HiroProtagonist posted:

do you believe your posts are real?

i dont think about that kind of thing

Frosted Flake posted:

becoming china's lifetime bitch

i could think of worse things...

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
jesus loving christ of course nudge has pride of place

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Cuttlefush posted:

i dont think about that kind of thing

becoming china's lifetime bitch

i could think of worse things...

lol

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

:whitewater:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

xi jinping's about to make you his bitch

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

good news everyone

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1665234355977875456

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I stand by the double parking, I think I'll have to start triple parking the smaller paperbacks, like the penguin books; I ran out of shelving space outside the office. The dining room table, coffee table, kitchen table, my night stand and dresser, bureau, already have books on them (and shouldn't'). On top of that, my office at work has to look presentable.

Post your setups. I know one of you has alphabetized, I just want to see if anyone is using the Dewey decimal system.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i left almost all of my physical textbooks and poo poo at my last office. also i just put them in piles on shelves. occasionally i'd put one in vertical. left them on any flat surface too when i used them. loose papers everywhere.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

gross.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

the entire book collection is in one place and alphabetized by author because we don't have a home office

this means that the first edition printing of the warren commission report is on the same shelf as the complete beatrix potter and the terry pratchetts :shrug:

sum
Nov 15, 2010

The counteroffensive might have kicked off today in the vicinity of Velyka Novosilka, bestride the borders of Zaporizhia and Donetsk oblasts. According to Russian sources the newly-formed 31st brigade penetrated as far as 3km on some axes but have since been thrown back to their starting positions. They attacked in an area where the frontline is about 15km in front of the prepared defensive line, maybe the idea was to make the Russians in the area rout behind it? It didn't work, apparently.
https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1665360947962077184f
https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1665431512697667586/photo/1

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cuttlefush posted:

loose papers everywhere.

I don't know how people managed this before at least some writing was on the computer. I already have filing cabinets. I don't know if I'd use a bureau or writing desk or if it would just make things worse.

I should be asking the guy who bought a $12000 "forever table" or whatever.

redneck nazgul posted:

the entire book collection is in one place and alphabetized by author because we don't have a home office

That's a good way to do it though, even if Discworld blends into the Dulles brothers.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 21:55 on Jun 4, 2023

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

I stand by the double parking, I think I'll have to start triple parking the smaller paperbacks, like the penguin books; I ran out of shelving space outside the office. The dining room table, coffee table, kitchen table, my night stand and dresser, bureau, already have books on them (and shouldn't'). On top of that, my office at work has to look presentable.

Post your setups. I know one of you has alphabetized, I just want to see if anyone is using the Dewey decimal system.

lol imagine having space for books

pro tip: read the internet

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
If you start leaving books you haven't read in the past year or two in boxes, it frees up space for plants on shelves.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

I don't know how people managed this before at least some writing was on the computer. I already have filing cabinets. I don't know if I'd use a bureau or writing desk or if it would just make things worse.

yeah i loving hate paper. kinda hate physical books too and i prefer reading on a screen. almost all the p[hysical paper was because my boss just wanted to see stuff on paper. the piece of poo poo

mlmp08 posted:

If you start leaving books you haven't read in the past year or two in boxes, it frees up space for plants on shelves.

i neglect plants and they just turn into pots of dirt and dead rotting plant. still occasionally buy one for some reason. i don't even like indoor plants though

Cuttlefush has issued a correction as of 22:00 on Jun 4, 2023

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

I should be asking the guy who bought a $12000 "forever table" or whatever.

in academia offices still existed so the sort of academic who needed all those references just had bookcases lining all the walls, some of my professors still had that sort of setup when i was failing out of university twenty years ago

in business they had secretarial pools and often staff librarians (some firms still have the latter) for collecting and furnishing sources

HiroProtagonist posted:

lol imagine having space for books

pro tip: read the internet

also this, intermittent homelessness has a way of whittling away at even the most precious of books. i still have a couple cardboard boxes in a closet but i don't own a bookcase or anywhere to put anything except the one book i'm reading at any given moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

sum posted:

The counteroffensive might have kicked off today in the vicinity of Velyka Novosilka, bestride the borders of Zaporizhia and Donetsk oblasts. According to Russian sources the newly-formed 31st brigade penetrated as far as 3km on some axes but have since been thrown back to their starting positions. They attacked in an area where the frontline is about 15km in front of the prepared defensive line, maybe the idea was to make the Russians in the area rout behind it? It didn't work, apparently.

Three months of hype and billions of dollars for five hours of slava. Disappointing.