Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, they really are awful. You pause and it flips over to a Universal screensaver that fucks everything up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, they really are awful. You pause and it flips over to a Universal screensaver that fucks everything up.

Oh grosssss. loving java nobody should have given them this power.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

feedmyleg posted:

What do you mean? Do they freeze your player?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
I had to pull out some Universal blus to take a look for this myself

I assume this is what the "Screensaver" is?

e: updated from a gif to a static shot cuz that was like 26 MB and unnecessary lol

Sniep fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 3, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Sniep posted:

I had to pull out some Universal blus to take a look for this myself

I assume this is what the "Screensaver" is?

Yeah it gets stuck on that and regular controls don’t work.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
yuck

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Gripweed posted:

Yeah it gets stuck on that and regular controls don’t work.

On the UX700… you have to use the arrow buttons to actually trigger playback. SOURCE: a guy who has watched a lot of F&F UHDs.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Yeah it is stupid that arrow keys not play gets back to the movie. Not the end of the world but a very mild annoyance

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

On the Xbox play/pause don’t work on that screen saver, but enter stops it (and brings you back to where you paused the movie). I imagine that it was the same for other players.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Would you prefer the pause screen or the ads over credits (the resident evil UHD boxset).

pwn
May 27, 2004

dorium posted:

Would you prefer the pause screen or the ads over credits (the resident evil UHD boxset).

If i was watching my movie that I own and paid for and they hosed with the credits, i think i would just start hitting the nearest living thing.

Thankfully I have no desire to own, watch Resident Evil

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

pwn posted:

More for me, I guess.

Even if the box really should be just six copies of Retribution.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

pwn posted:

If i was watching my movie that I own and paid for and they hosed with the credits, i think i would just start hitting the nearest living thing.

Same, but I would return the movies. I ain’t paying for that.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Apparently the UK label Network suddenly shut down their website and their stock went into liquidation. Their last major release was Monty Python's Flying Circus on Blu-ray - the US release is distributed by Universal, but you could order 60Hz or 50Hz versions from Network with the deluxe packaging.

Not a huge amount of important releases, but they've been the only ones with Blu-rays of a few lingering 30s Hitchcock, late Powell and Pressburger, and the original The Prisoner. Most of their catalog was from the iTV library, which is mostly licensed to Criterion and Shout! Factory in the US. The Prisoner has been one of the more difficult to find series because the US release has been out of print for a decade.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Egbert Souse posted:

Apparently the UK label Network suddenly shut down their website and their stock went into liquidation. Their last major release was Monty Python's Flying Circus on Blu-ray - the US release is distributed by Universal, but you could order 60Hz or 50Hz versions from Network with the deluxe packaging.

Not a huge amount of important releases, but they've been the only ones with Blu-rays of a few lingering 30s Hitchcock, late Powell and Pressburger, and the original The Prisoner. Most of their catalog was from the iTV library, which is mostly licensed to Criterion and Shout! Factory in the US. The Prisoner has been one of the more difficult to find series because the US release has been out of print for a decade.

Most notable for myself is that they were the company releasing high quality versions of the Gerry Anderson TV shows. The Captain Scarlet set they put out was incredible.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I bought UFO even though I don't have a region-free player, just in case it never gets another physical release. I assume that was by them.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

Most notable for myself is that they were the company releasing high quality versions of the Gerry Anderson TV shows. The Captain Scarlet set they put out was incredible.

Shoot I’ve been meaning to grab some of those, thanks for the reminder

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
My $20 night of the hunter got moved up to 6/14 from 6/22 on amazon, so maybe they are getting units in sooner than the usual "whenever we feel like it from KL"

I'm dumb excited for this one, it's in my top 5 (thanks for the heads up on the matching of the b/n sale, Egbert)

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The KL sale hurts to miss. But I got other obligations and unexpected costs. Having fun owning a house… but too tired after projects to throw something on!

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Boywhiz88 posted:

The KL sale hurts to miss. But I got other obligations and unexpected costs. Having fun owning a house… but too tired after projects to throw something on!

I feel this sentiment exactly but I couldn’t resist Misery 4K

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

How long did it take VS to start shipping non-subscriber orders from last year's sale?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Gripweed posted:

How long did it take VS to start shipping non-subscriber orders from last year's sale?
About a week or so, but I had pre-orders in and those are second in line before regular ole orders ship.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1665726873525972992?s=46&t=wbUf_u7uOvtvxKOmB6dAHQ

Dumb

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'll probably just stick with my Criterion Bruce box set. I love that set.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I'll probably just stick with my Criterion Bruce box set. I love that set.

i just got this out from the library and have been watching thru them, they're sick. had only seen Enter the Dragon and Game of Death before the box set came out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i just got this out from the library and have been watching thru them, they're sick. had only seen Enter the Dragon and Game of Death before the box set came out.

Personally my favorite is Fist of Fury. Enter the Dragon is great but it's a ridiculous James Bond scenario, Fist of Fury is more of a classic kung fu flick.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah i just did Fist of Fury, Bruce really whips a lot of rear end in that one.

i actually caught a 35mm screening of Enter the Dragon a week or so ago and it precipitated me taking the box set out. I hadn't seen it since I was a kid and like, yo.... it rules so hard lol

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's always bittersweet because it's like poo poo I can only watch these four or five(depending on if you count Game of Death) movies so many times before I burn them out. If Bruce had lived another 20 years can you imagine the library of great stuff we'd have to enjoy?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Cool Hand Luke UHD dropped to $16.99 overnight so I picked that up. Never seen it before, but am looking forward to it.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

You'll never look at hard boiled eggs the same again.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It's always bittersweet because it's like poo poo I can only watch these four or five(depending on if you count Game of Death) movies so many times before I burn them out. If Bruce had lived another 20 years can you imagine the library of great stuff we'd have to enjoy?

i've been interspersing them with Jackie Chan movies which has been fun, especially since you can play "Where's Jackie?" in some of those Bruce Lee movies.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Sorry to dig up some old posts but:

pwn posted:

The X700M is also wonderful and much less. And for a few dollars more, get one that's been modded to play all regions of Blu-rays and DVDs.

https://www.220-electronics.com/2017-bf-bluray/sony-ubp-x700-region-free-4k-uhd-blu-ray-player.html

Got one for my mum earlier this Summer and she's had no problems. You can also find the 800 on their site, I decided against it because my mum didn't need Dolby Atmos and that was almost $100 more.

https://www.220-electronics.com/region-free-blu-ray-players/sony-ubp-x800m2-region-free-4k-uhd-blu-ray-player-multi-region.html

Protip: Leave the tab open in your browser for a day and come back periodically and a coupon code may well pop up. I had gotten one that took $30 off (dollars, NOT percent.)

inferis posted:

I have an x700 and I like it but it does have a freeze on layer change for certain movies if that is something that’s gonna bother you.

I'm also looking for a new region-free 4k player because the one I have freezes on a bunch of my discs. Does the x800M have the problem with freezing that the x700 apparently does?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Basebf555 posted:

Imagine how cool his MCU cameo would have been.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Greekonomics posted:

I'm also looking for a new region-free 4k player because the one I have freezes on a bunch of my discs. Does the x800M have the problem with freezing that the x700 apparently does?

I think the freezing issue got fixed in a firmware update. I can’t be positive because it didn’t happen very regularly and I sadly don’t watch physical media all that often, but I’ve had no freezes since that update.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Amazon has Shout Factory Ghiblis on deep discount right now, including steelbooks. I got a non-steelbook My Neighbor Totoro for $12. Really wish the sales would cool down for a bit. The steelbook is the lowest it's ever been on Amazon, apparently.

Greekonomics posted:

david_a posted:

I think the freezing issue got fixed in a firmware update. I can’t be positive because it didn’t happen very regularly and I sadly don’t watch physical media all that often, but I’ve had no freezes since that update.

I recently did a ton of research on this, and the impression I got was that the x800m has the same freezing issues as the x700 on certain 4k discs.

I needed a 4k player, wanted region free, and sort of wanted Dolby Vision. Ultimately I decided on an open-box Panasonic UB420 from Best Buy for $150. I figure Dolby Vision-enabled players will go down in price in the next few years, and at that point I'll hopefully get a modded Panny UB820 for way less than they're going for now.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

david_a posted:

big boi posted:

I recently did a ton of research on this, and the impression I got was that the x800m has the same freezing issues as the x700 on certain 4k discs.

I needed a 4k player, wanted region free, and sort of wanted Dolby Vision. Ultimately I decided on an open-box Panasonic UB420 from Best Buy for $150. I figure Dolby Vision-enabled players will go down in price in the next few years, and at that point I'll hopefully get a modded Panny UB820 for way less than they're going for now.

Thanks! I got my player because I saw someone mention it in this thread, but other than VS stuff and a smattering of other releases, it freezes up at random points when I try playing 4k discs.

They work fine on my PS5 though, but I would like to have a separate player.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Did they not also patch the x800m? I’m saying I experienced freezes on my x700 that I haven’t seen since the firmware update. I don’t remember when the patch was released (at least a year ago), so any old complaints are (hopefully) not relevant anymore

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I have the x700 and last week it froze up real bad with top gun maverick. Before that it very rarely did it and only once during the movie. With maverick it happened multiple times during the viewing.

I found a suggestion saying to reset to factory settings and don't setup internet when it asks you to. Tried it and so far haven't had any issues but it was such a rare thing to begin with I have no idea.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

david_a posted:

Did they not also patch the x800m? I’m saying I experienced freezes on my x700 that I haven’t seen since the firmware update. I don’t remember when the patch was released (at least a year ago), so any old complaints are (hopefully) not relevant anymore

It's still an issue for some people. From 3 months ago: https://old.reddit.com/r/4kbluray/comments/113eavz/my_lame_trick_with_the_sony_ubpx700_freezing/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

For me it’s just one brief pause in some movies so it’s no big deal but if it was any worse I’d probably buy one of those Panasonic ones