Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

So thats the second time ive seen a rook attack being used instead of TCB's smothered mate.TCBs quality ahs felt worse and worse, have they changed translators recently? I used to liek TCB more than the official but TCB has been sounding more corny lately, and TCB has been changing things arbitrarily a lot too. Like did they just see a chess move and think "Wait theres a more appropriate chess move Sabo could have said" and subbed it in? Absolutely awful if thats the case.

I feel like a year ago, TCB would have been the one that has Imu's speech be relatively tame, with just a few thees and thous while Viz would have been the ones to crank up the corny old timey words but now theyre completely opposite

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So how did Viz translate Cobra’s reaction to Imu’s name? I remember that being a bit of a sticking point a few pages ago

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 4, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Larryb posted:

So how did Viz translate Cobra’s reaction to Imu’s name? I remember that being a bit of a sticking point a few pages ago

He said that Imu was the name of one of the 20

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

He said that Imu was the name of one of the 20

Oh, so it was exactly the same as the TCB version then

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Larryb posted:

It's a tad more vague

"I know the name Imu already. But it must be a coincidence... among the first 20-"

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I know the standard "you're a dead man walking but I'll answer your questions anyway" is a bit of a cliche but I like how it's presented here. Imu doesn't actually care about answering Cobra's questions, they're only bothering to because Cobra is asking dangerous questions that will kill him, and Imu's answers provides context for the question Imu is pretty sure they know the answer to, but want confirmation anyway.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Marluxia posted:

I know the standard "you're a dead man walking but I'll answer your questions anyway" is a bit of a cliche but I like how it's presented here. Imu doesn't actually care about answering Cobra's questions, they're only bothering to because Cobra is asking dangerous questions that will kill him, and Imu's answers provides context for the question Imu is pretty sure they know the answer to, but want confirmation anyway.
This raises an interesting question of whether the World Government / Imu are suffering from a void century of their own - certain historical facts/knowledge may have been hidden by the D clan (e.g. the ancient weapons, the info being hidden underwater in Old Wano, etc.) as a protection against the 20 Nations gaining absolute control

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Imu’s powers in this chapter have me wondering if the term “void century” might be a bit more literal than metaphorical.

Also I wonder if Imu having Lily’s sword in their garden is for the same reason they’ve kept the big hat around? Simple trophies, or maybe the successors to the will of Joy Boy and Lily having those would be a problem? Gear 5 Luffy has shown that the hat is no longer too big for he gotdamn head…:hmmyes:

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
joy boy's hat... and it's autographed! but i cant wear that. only emperor type guys with big heads like me can wear things like that

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Based on the way Imu talks about the poneglyphs being "scattered across the world", I'm going to guess that it was done by a previous user of Kuma's ability. In that case, Lily's "mistake" could have been giving the fruit to the person in question. That would actually be a neat parallel to the debate on whether Luffy eating the Nika fruit was planned by Shanks or a simple twist of fate. It's like poetry, it rhymes

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Lily had Kuma's DF and made a big show of tripping and yelling ooooops! as she dove headfirst into the pile of ponegliffs

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Artur/Library of Ohara has a pretty compelling theory regarding Imu's true powers/identity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQEIeGV8wZQ

I could buy Imu being a petulant immortal god-child, but I think Imu having ink/cartoon devil powers as a parallel to Luffy's Nika cartoon powers is even more interesting, especially the small detail of the devil tail/arrow thing dripping as it's shot toward Cobra. Having one of the final ultimate battles of One Piece be between two cartoon characters would be amazing, if nothing else.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I forget, but how much did we see before of Fujitora and GreenBull's clash? The wording that Fujitora Helped the revolutionaries is strong

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

My man Fujitora def helped free them slaves.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

My man Fujitora def helped free them slaves.

U-DO Burger posted:

Fujitora made a big show of tripping and yelling ooooops! as he dropped his meteors right in the path of the pursuing guards.

Star Platinum posted:

It's like poetry, it rhymes

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Fujitora is cool because he's chill but also ready to obliterate all life in the area for no reason whatsoever

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Fujitora is cool because he's chill but also ready to obliterate all life in the area for no reason whatsoever

The reason is "gently caress the system" but in Fujitora's eyes everything is the System. Except slaves.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

The reason is "gently caress the system" but in Fujitora's eyes everything is the System. Except slaves.
Well, it's a good thing for the government that he doesn't have eyes anymore! :yohoho:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Star Platinum posted:

Based on the way Imu talks about the poneglyphs being "scattered across the world", I'm going to guess that it was done by a previous user of Kuma's ability.

This would tie neatly into the very long running fan theory that Vivi will eventually inherit the Paw Paw Fruit.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

He was ready to drop a meteor on Marijoa.

Super embarassing that Imu and Five Elders can't contain the Nika fruit but also supposing they are immortal they used the Op-Op fruit then let it repeatedly be out of their grasp even allowing a Warlord of the Sea control it without ganking him and getting it back.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Artur/Library of Ohara has a pretty compelling theory regarding Imu's true powers/identity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQEIeGV8wZQ

I could buy Imu being a petulant immortal god-child, but I think Imu having ink/cartoon devil powers as a parallel to Luffy's Nika cartoon powers is even more interesting, especially the small detail of the devil tail/arrow thing dripping as it's shot toward Cobra. Having one of the final ultimate battles of One Piece be between two cartoon characters would be amazing, if nothing else.

I hate this guys youtube voice, but I did like him pointing out Sabo becomes 'Sad Boy' to compare against Luffy being Joy Boy.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

law is sengokus grandson?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

yup

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

law is sengokus grandson?

I think just in a similar way that Ace is Garp's grandson. Sengoku was a surrogate father to Rosinate (Doflamingo's brother) and Rosinate was essentially a surrogate father to Law.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MorningMoon posted:

I forget, but how much did we see before of Fujitora and GreenBull's clash? The wording that Fujitora Helped the revolutionaries is strong

It is kind of weird how every admiral has their own form of justice, except Greenbull. That dude seems to just be what if Axe Hand Morgan actually had power.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gyges posted:

It is kind of weird how every admiral has their own form of justice, except Greenbull. That dude seems to just be what if Axe Hand Morgan actually had power.

That’s a little harsh, Morgan was just a bully, Green Bull is a cop doing his job, which is a delusional bully propping up a crooked system.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Gyges posted:

As I understand it, Green Bull's deal is that he's a true believer in the World Government and sincerely believes that Celestial Dragons are living gods, and the best deal anyone else can get is being their unquestioning lackey. Akainu, while still a fascist, has never had any strong opinions about them beyond 'this is the price to pay in order to maintain a strong hand on the world', and now that they're actively meddling in what he considers Navy business, he's visibly starting to chafe under their directives.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
If anything, Axe Hand Morgan is his natural enemy :thunk:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Inadequately posted:

As I understand it, Green Bull's deal is that he's a true believer in the World Government and sincerely believes that Celestial Dragons are living gods, and the best deal anyone else can get is being their unquestioning lackey. Akainu, while still a fascist, has never had any strong opinions about them beyond 'this is the price to pay in order to maintain a strong hand on the world', and now that they're actively meddling in what he considers Navy business, he's visibly starting to chafe under their directives.

Does he, though?

Like when we see him fight the Revolutionaries you see him mentally telling the Celestial Dragons to gently caress off to safety because he can't fight properly while they're around. It's like he considers them (very dangerous and stupid) nuisances.

The whole "Celestial Dragons are gods!" spiel he spouts in Wanokuni (which happens AFTER the Revelly fight) seems more like an act he's trying to keep up than anything else.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The implication is that Imu is an immortal rmember of the First Twenty from 800 years ago. If so, how is Imu unaffected by the 19 sword oath? Did Imu put in a "fake" sword? Is Imu part of the Nefertari family without the "D"?
Nonetheless, Imu clearly abhors the D and is wary of it. Imu even stepped out of the shadows and risk the world knowing of the truth in order to learn about Lily's full name.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Star Platinum posted:

Based on the way Imu talks about the poneglyphs being "scattered across the world", I'm going to guess that it was done by a previous user of Kuma's ability. In that case, Lily's "mistake" could have been giving the fruit to the person in question. That would actually be a neat parallel to the debate on whether Luffy eating the Nika fruit was planned by Shanks or a simple twist of fate. It's like poetry, it rhymes

They're made from sea stone so should be immune to devil fruit powers

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jose posted:

They're made from sea stone so should be immune to devil fruit powers

That's why you put them in a cardboard box and then use the Paw Paw Fruit on the box. Once the package lands, nature (wind, wild animals, whatever) will get rid of the packaging and leave behind a shiny Inscribed Sea Stone Cube.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
They’re not made of Seastone, and I don’t think Seastone is entirely immune to devil fruit powers either. Law has cut through seastone cuffs before I believe

RatHat fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 5, 2023

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Does he, though?

Like when we see him fight the Revolutionaries you see him mentally telling the Celestial Dragons to gently caress off to safety because he can't fight properly while they're around. It's like he considers them (very dangerous and stupid) nuisances.

The whole "Celestial Dragons are gods!" spiel he spouts in Wanokuni (which happens AFTER the Revelly fight) seems more like an act he's trying to keep up than anything else.

Wasn't his thing basically "hierarchy is natural and good and the CDs are at the top so therefore they're the greatest"?

That's not really incompatible with them being a problem for him in that moment

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Flair posted:

The implication is that Imu is an immortal rmember of the First Twenty from 800 years ago. If so, how is Imu unaffected by the 19 sword oath? Did Imu put in a "fake" sword? Is Imu part of the Nefertari family without the "D"?
Nonetheless, Imu clearly abhors the D and is wary of it. Imu even stepped out of the shadows and risk the world knowing of the truth in order to learn about Lily's full name.

I mean, he could have just waited until the other 19 died and then ascended to the throne that way, it's not like he couldn't just lie.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

RatHat posted:

They’re not made of Seastone, and I don’t think Seastone is entirely immune to devil fruit powers either. Law has cut through seastone cuffs before I believe

oh you're right. Them being made on Wano and seastone coming from there I just assumed they were also made of it

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

While seastone isnt indestructible (just very strong), poneglyphs are. aside from the etching technique of the kozuki you cant so much as mar them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Flair posted:

Again, if Imu was part of the first twenty, him also being a Nefertari would be a bit odd because like what would there be two different countries ruled by the Nefertari line? Feel like Cobra would have brought that up.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
OK, here's a theory: Imu ate a Devil Fruit...the Devil Devil Fruit, specifically. (Maybe it was the first known Devil Fruit, and that's why they're called Devil Fruits.) In addition to the pointy tail, he can make supernaturally enforced contracts. That's why the sword thing matters; it's not just a mundane agreement between the Twenty Kings. The loophole that allows Imu to rule the world relies on either Lily's or Imu's own sword not being present, but may also forbid him from destroying the sword. Possibly the Elder Stars don't have Devil Fruits of their own, but can transform because of their bargains with Imu.

There's one potential big problem with this theory, which might have an interesting explanation: Doflamingo claims that D stands for devil. Was Imu one of the original Ds who ended up betraying their ideals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Silver2195 posted:

Doflamingo claims that D stands for devil.

This didn't actually happen, afaik.