Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Opopanax posted:

Sweet, Bioshock 2 Remastered crashed while I was saving so now I've lost a couple hours progress, fun

Reviews around the time of release made it sound like the remastered version was a cash grab which was less stable and in some aspects looked worse than the original. Depending on how far in you are it might be better to restart with the standard version, I've played through it a few times and never had any technical issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It crashed a few times before this but it's mostly been fine, just this time it decided to it during a save, so when I try to reload it just sits there loading indefinitly.
Other than that, it looks a little washed out but I haven't had any major issues. Only real complaint is that it throws way too many big fights at you too close together. You're moving along but the core of the game is getting Little Sisters, so you have to do a big fight with a Big Daddy, then you have horde mode while your new Little Sister is Collecting, and then once you've done a few of those a Big Sister comes after you with limited warning. Doesn't really give you a lot of breathing room in between those three chunks

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Summer Games Done Quick 2023 featured a Bioshock 2 speedrun a couple days ago. The person playing notes he's playing on the original edition instead of the remaster. And even on the original edition he picked low res textures because crashing problems are tied to better quality textures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yplrHLqFX7Q

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Morpheus posted:

I've been playing Pioneers of Olive Town lately, and it's not bad. It's hard to measure up to Stardew but whatever.

Anyway my issue is the music. Overall it's, at best, not terrible. But I've just reached Summer and gently caress, the background music made me turn it all off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frhlUDsWPhE

It starts out good, like beach vibes and poo poo, then that loving trumpet blare

Hoenn, my beloved...

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I just completed Assassin's Creed Valhalla with about 240 hours because I hate myself, and theres a number of annoying things about it. But one thing that really pissed me off was (end game secret weapon spoilers)...

Getting Excalibur, for which you need to collect 11 stone tablets throughout the whole game, take them to Merlin's cave, find the pillars with the sword in the stone. So naturally, this is in the end game area, and I've collected this poo poo over 200+ hours. You have to slowly interact with each of the 11 pillars, each one playing the same slow animation as you enter the tablets. I timed this, it was over eight minutes of playing the same lovely animation over and over for what ended up being a pretty mediocre weapon anyway.

Also, the game has somehow given me two skill points over the maximum, so it's constantly showed an unclearable notification on the skills screen for hours now.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Shadow of the Tomb Raider frequently presents me with a ledge that is inaccessible due to how high it is, except

> Frequently Lara can just kind of kick herself up a wall like a double jump but for some reason not this time
> The brick wall the ledge is on has plenty of grooves, much like other brick-like walls that Lara has been able to climb but for some reason not this time
> There are plenty of structures that Lara could jump off of, and have before, but for some reason not this time
> There are things with ropes attached, in which times Lara has been able to use to shoot rope-arrows into and attach them but for some reason not this time
> Surrounding the platform are tons of ledges, many of which Lara could climb before but for some reason not this time

It's almost as if the map designers were not told that every path is extremely linear and don't you loving dare even think about adding a second way of accomplishing a task

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Bogmonster posted:

I just completed Assassin's Creed Valhalla with about 240 hours because I hate myself, and theres a number of annoying things about it. But one thing that really pissed me off was (end game secret weapon spoilers)...

Getting Excalibur, for which you need to collect 11 stone tablets throughout the whole game, take them to Merlin's cave, find the pillars with the sword in the stone. So naturally, this is in the end game area, and I've collected this poo poo over 200+ hours. You have to slowly interact with each of the 11 pillars, each one playing the same slow animation as you enter the tablets. I timed this, it was over eight minutes of playing the same lovely animation over and over for what ended up being a pretty mediocre weapon anyway.

Also, the game has somehow given me two skill points over the maximum, so it's constantly showed an unclearable notification on the skills screen for hours now.
Everything about Ubisoft's open world game progression curve in general has been completely hosed and unsatisfying for almost an entire decade now. I remember looking up where to find the armor pieces that fit my playstyle in Valhalla pretty early on, and once I'd also found a weapon I liked to use, there was never anything to look forward to anymore. Sure, you get levels, but most of what you get is loving boring and only makes your numbers go up which does nothing for me. In their defence I could have not looked up where the armor pieces I wanted were, but then I would have spent the entire game being pissed that the pieces I'm actually finding are useless to me.

Most recently I spent the first 5 hours of FC6 getting the best guns and attachments, and if I were a completionist, I would spend the next ~55 hours with nothing interesting to unlock. Unless I just wanted to see other, worse weapons for fun. Didn't even have to look anything up for these, the game literally tells you where to find each possible weapon. It's absolutely a bizarre path from Far Cry 2 where I would be scrambling for any piece of poo poo gun in the middle of combat because mine just blew up in my face and I have malaria and no cash and everything is horrible, but at least struggling to become better equipped was engaging , rewarding and gave you something to look forward to.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Getting around to playing horizon zero dawn, and honestly it's amazing, but I just made it to the second area which is a bunch of small cliffs in the desert situation and it bugs the he'll out of me that Aloy can't mantle a ledge five inches taller than she is.

It would speed up traversal so much! Just let me do it!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I wish games would just have more freeform platforming like, say, Elden Ring or leave it out altogether. That on rails stuff that's super popular in third person action games for some reason is the pits.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That's one of the things I've always loved about Assassin's Creed (especially the newer ones). If you see a cliff or a wall, you can climb it.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Getting around to playing horizon zero dawn, and honestly it's amazing, but I just made it to the second area which is a bunch of small cliffs in the desert situation and it bugs the he'll out of me that Aloy can't mantle a ledge five inches taller than she is.

The sequel is a bit better in this department.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Nearing the end of my first Elden Ring run and the game is loving great. One of the best I've ever played.

But I still don't get why From Software makes these NPC quests so god damned obtuse. You advance a few quest lines but then the NPC just fucks off to somewhere and, unless they're in the Round Table, good loving luck knowing where they went without a wiki. Hell, I'd settle for even a vague clue like "I am off now the land of fog and snow" or "I must take my leave to underground lake".

Anything at all really.

Not "go look in this well, cave or tower from an area you cleared 20 hours ago and have no reason to revisit"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

TotK will have hallways with rocks you need to break to go down them only since your hammer can break they fill the hallway with rusty swords to make more hammers. I would understand having a hallway that you go back to with a new hammer but if you're going to put the tools needed to go through the tunnel in the tunnel why bother making it that long in the first place?

I dug through a tunnel a little bit ago and I broke two swords and found three more. Why bother having halls that big in the first place? Are they really that proud of their fuse skill making hammers?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BiggerBoat posted:

Nearing the end of my first Elden Ring run and the game is loving great. One of the best I've ever played.

But I still don't get why From Software makes these NPC quests so god damned obtuse. You advance a few quest lines but then the NPC just fucks off to somewhere and, unless they're in the Round Table, good loving luck knowing where they went without a wiki. Hell, I'd settle for even a vague clue like "I am off now the land of fog and snow" or "I must take my leave to underground lake".

Anything at all really.

Not "go look in this well, cave or tower from an area you cleared 20 hours ago and have no reason to revisit"

At least now we have quest markers. Maybe in a decade there will be an in-game quest journal or something. Some characters do vaguely hint where they're going, but it's all very relative and if you talk to them in the wrong place at the wrong time you won't know that's what they mean, like what's her face with the one arm talks about how she's going north or something like that, and moves from the church to the cliffside in altus, and then just kind of hangs out there until the right flags are triggered and she moves to the haelig tree. But between the altus plateu and haelig tree spots you can run into her at the creepy windmill village, and summon her for at least one boss fight up in the snowy poo poo fields. But like, the only clues you have is that she has some ties to malenia, blade of miquella and that she's headed northwards. None of which you would know means to look in any particular place until after you've already been there. And her quest chain is, in my opinion at least, one of the easier ones to do! Gold Mask tends to just vanish and you never see him again, it's hilariously easy to miss all of nepheli and blaidd's locations until they die, even with the npc markers.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Len posted:

TotK will have hallways with rocks you need to break to go down them only since your hammer can break they fill the hallway with rusty swords to make more hammers. I would understand having a hallway that you go back to with a new hammer but if you're going to put the tools needed to go through the tunnel in the tunnel why bother making it that long in the first place?

I dug through a tunnel a little bit ago and I broke two swords and found three more. Why bother having halls that big in the first place? Are they really that proud of their fuse skill making hammers?

The amount of rock you have to get through is just bizarre sometimes. Even with items and multiple powers that directly explode them, sometimes I'm just thinking c'mon by the time I get like five layers deep. I thought at first that it was useful for mining materials, but the plain rocks seem like they have a much lower drop rate for anything compared to the glowing shards, even after the sheer number you're going through in some areas.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Len posted:

It's the same principle for everything else: there is a challenge where you need a specific thing and the thing is right around the corner. I mean good on them for ensuring you'll always be able to solve the challenge but it does make you feel silly when you carry 17 wings around and everywhere you might want to glide down from has 5 more lying around.

I'm starting to have several more grievances with it:

- building involved poo poo is incredibly fiddly cause once you drop a half-finished thing to pick up the next bit, it immediately becomes subject to physics and will more often than not keel over into an awkward position. Even putting four wheels on a board often requires you to pick up/shake loose/reattach things several times as elements attach in the wrong spot or automate to the wrong angle. Autobuild should just have been a full-fledged vehicle/machine editor, immersion be damned.
- Link's house is an ugly box, there are very few ways that elements with exclusively 2x1 openings can go together, but we don't even get decorative roofs or anything, really regret spending 1500 rupees on the plot because I could have used them on a suit of armor
- armor too expensive
- mirroring real world technological evolution, horses are a n(e)igh obsolete remnant of the old times in the face of vehicles; but since vehicles are so cumbersome to deal with I wish stables had got turned into garages, giving us the opportunity to save and retrieve vehicles
- it's more atmospheric to approach a place through a neatly designed environment than to rise & glide everywhere through the same bits of sky, but gliding sure is a heckuvalot quicker

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Armor too expensive? Are you trying to buy the stuff in Kakariko Village?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

kazil posted:

Armor too expensive? Are you trying to buy the stuff in Kakariko Village?

The cold set in bird village is about 1k each

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Len posted:

The cold set in bird village is about 1k each

The shirt is 500 rupees and with the free cold pants you get in the tutorial island, is enough to do the cold area. 500 doesn't seem that much to me for armor that lasts the entire game :shrug:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
my main grievance with totk so far is the mecha handles like total poo poo and feels vastly less powerful than just hitting stuff with my sword and having the mecha walk alongside me and attack stuff. i was so excited when i got it and it just was so awful to actually use despite being great conceptually and thematically

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

sephiRoth IRA posted:

This is one of the best things about MGSV. Does that ledge look like you should be able to climb it? You can! Want to hop up on top of that portapotty? Sure, go right ahead! Want to crawl under that tank and hide? Well, obviously, do it!

I'm really hoping the 3 remaster does the same thing.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
MGSV did have some really slippery slopes that snake just couldn’t manage.

Snake doesn’t even need to be kicked to fall off a cliff.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

All Snake needs is a paraglider to whip out so he doesn't pancake himself jumping off of cliffs more than 15 feet high, and he will truly achieve one-man military superiority over Afghanistan

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Late-game Tears of the Kingdom thing

There's a fun sequence where you have to acquire and transport body parts to construct a big mecha, your final companion character. It feels really cool when they tell you to attach some weapons on them and climb aboard to test their battle abilities along your way to the final dungeon. Really neat.

Except somehow it just doesn't seem very fun in practice. I got to the first camp of lower-tier enemy types, and wading in with the robot, I had to look closely at the enemies' health bars to even see them going down as I attacked them. It feels way faster to just jump off and have Link attack them. And the robot's so slow, I don't think you could even leave a fight with it because the enemies can just amble along and keep up. I just gave up and hopped off to run to the dungeon faster on foot. Maybe it gets better eventually, but that doesn't seem very fun for the sequence that should be convincing you how fun and powerful your new friend is.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

yeah its such a cool concept that doesnt feel as good as it should

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Late-game Tears of the Kingdom thing

There's a fun sequence where you have to acquire and transport body parts to construct a big mecha, your final companion character. It feels really cool when they tell you to attach some weapons on them and climb aboard to test their battle abilities along your way to the final dungeon. Really neat.

Except somehow it just doesn't seem very fun in practice. I got to the first camp of lower-tier enemy types, and wading in with the robot, I had to look closely at the enemies' health bars to even see them going down as I attacked them. It feels way faster to just jump off and have Link attack them. And the robot's so slow, I don't think you could even leave a fight with it because the enemies can just amble along and keep up. I just gave up and hopped off to run to the dungeon faster on foot. Maybe it gets better eventually, but that doesn't seem very fun for the sequence that should be convincing you how fun and powerful your new friend is.

It doesn't get more powerful at all BUT it is minecart width so you can just use it to walk the goron temple if you're like me and found them as your second sage

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i did wind temple then fire temple and then that one :(

its very funny that the game doesnt force you to interact with the memories/geoglyphs in any particular order and also puts the spirit temple in a big ominous storm above faron like im absolutely gonna beeline that the second i notice it

Jezza of OZPOS has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Jun 4, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Len posted:

It doesn't get more powerful at all BUT it is minecart width so you can just use it to walk the goron temple if you're like me and found them as your second sage

Lmao :getin:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

my main TOTK annoyance is the enemy scaling, which both happens too quickly and has far too severe effects on the enemies that level up. I've completed 1 out of 4 main story objectives and most groups of enemies I see now have a top-tier enemy included, which have such preposterous amounts of HP that killing them directly takes multiple full combos with a 50-damage weapon. they kill the momentum and make me prefer skipping fights where I previously would do them just for fun. It also makes encounters very swingy, where the enemies who don't have higher-tier versions become chumps that can barely hurt you and just get instakilled, while a generic group of bokoblins now comes with an enemy with a thousand HP and the ability to one-shot you. the top-tier enemies should show up much later and shouldn't get nearly as much of a health boost.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The tuning is really all over the place. I would fight some random open-world enemy that could chunk off 80% of my life per hit and then go into one of the temples and fight a full-on boss that was hitting me for half a heart.

It's wild to me that they kept the exact same damage formula from BotW, since it had major "placeholder until we come up with something that makes sense" energy, and is a big part of why combat is so swingy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What gets me is that people say "you've just gotta fuse" but a 50 power weapon still feels like hitting them with wiffle bats repeatedly

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I really noticed that the other day, I finally got to one of the later-game minibosses that I'd seen people talking about for weeks Phantom Ganon and it was kinda like, that's it? because I'd been fighting rando camp leaders that took longer to take down for a while now.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I like homebody so far but I wish this game had the option to use tank controls. I've been killed a few times because a camera angle change switches which direction forward is. Not like it matters since you just relive the same night over and over

Also the game is a little crashy on ps5. Please patch it soon :(

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Far Cry 5 begins with you choosing your character from two sexless mannequins. One has its shirt open so == woman?? I guess? Anyway, I picked that one and I have a female voice so

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The term is womannequin

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Triarii posted:

The tuning is really all over the place. I would fight some random open-world enemy that could chunk off 80% of my life per hit and then go into one of the temples and fight a full-on boss that was hitting me for half a heart.

It's wild to me that they kept the exact same damage formula from BotW, since it had major "placeholder until we come up with something that makes sense" energy, and is a big part of why combat is so swingy.

Early on I went into a fight with 6 hearts. I got hit one time for a quarter heart, the smallest amount of damage you can take, so I had five and 3/4 hearts left. I got hit a second time and dropped dead. a damage spread of at least 23x

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 07:37 on Jun 5, 2023

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Philippe posted:

That's one of the things I've always loved about Assassin's Creed (especially the newer ones). If you see a cliff or a wall, you can climb it.

This is part of what made Odyssey so satisfying. It's a pretty bad AC game imo, but a great open world rpg. Apart from a few special dungeons you're never restricted by the terrain, and it feels so good.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

credburn posted:

Far Cry 5 begins with you choosing your character from two sexless mannequins. One has its shirt open so == woman?? I guess? Anyway, I picked that one and I have a female voice so

That left mannequin clearly has boobs

Owl Inspector posted:

Early on I went into a fight with 6 hearts. I got hit one time for a quarter heart, the smallest amount of damage you can take, so I had five and 3/4 hearts left. I got hit a second time and dropped dead. a damage spread of at least 23x

If you would have been at full health you wouldn't have died, they put in one shot protection to help balance out that you can start running into silver tier baddies at 6 hearts. Which makes me wonder if the best way to play is just keep 3 hearts the whole time because you'll need to use less healing to top back off

Len has a new favorite as of 11:25 on Jun 5, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Nuebot posted:

At least now we have quest markers.

Speaking of that, is there a way to filter the map by icon categories? Like if I just want to display caves? If there is I haven't figured it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
The equipment upgrades for TotK require too much stuff for no real reason, especially considering how vast the world is and how only certain ranks of enemies drop certain parts. Finishing off the soldier set requires fifteen lynal guts, which mean killing fifteen white or silver lynels. That's too many!

PsychoInternetHawk has a new favorite as of 12:40 on Jun 5, 2023