Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
All right, so, I’m playing through P5R as my first play through of the game, and I am at Okamura. I did not get through the third or fourth wave (tall blue guys, weak to wind) and I’m old and don’t have the patience to do this six or seven times. I think I can figure out how to baton pass and buff my way into what I’m supposed to do, but my question is: what actually triggers them running away?

1) do they run if one self destructs?
2) do they run if just one dies?
3) do they run at a certain threshold of hp?
4) or do they run on their second turn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Skip caring about that and turn the difficulty up to Merciless. It makes the fight way easier.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
They run if, upon their turn, one of them has died or will self-destruct. Okumura will give the self-destruct order one turn after they have been summoned, so they will always reset after two turns at maximum.

So long as all of them are alive after one turn, you will get a second turn, and there will never be a third turn. It is possible to do enough damage in a player turn to kill them for at least some of the waves, but the goal is to spend one turn weakening them and then using the second turn to take them all out.

(A "turn" here meaning all party members get to act between enemy turns, which I think goes for all boss fights. You don't have to engineer taking them out with a single attack or anything of the like)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
1. Turn the difficulty up to merciless for bonus weakness damage. Seriously this is not a joke that boss notoriously sucks hard on lower difficulties.
2. Have Haru in the party, a persona with an attacking Psi ability on Joker, and maybe a Psi charm or two on your other party members. This is specifically for the green bot phase, which is super tanky.
3. You need to kill each entire wave or it will be reset. The fight is effectively a test of your mastery of the baton pass mechanic, since each one ups the damage the next person in the chain does. You can keep the chain by exploiting weaknesses, either with abilities or items, as long as you're hitting somebody who has not yet been hit with their weakness yet that turn with their weakness. So for example on the wind guys you could do:

1. Mona garu's Bot 1, baton pass to Fox.
2. Fox uses a wind item on Bot 2, baton pass to Noir.
3. Noir uses a wind item on Bot 3, baton pass to Joker.
4. Joker uses magarula and sweeps the wave with the baton pass damage bonuses.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's a fight where it can be very important to remember that attack items exist for easier Baton pass chains. Having the appropriate party member still helps because they'll do more damage, but you can always have someone start off a chain with a weak item if you need to.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's a fight where it can be very important to remember that attack items exist for easier Baton pass chains. Having the appropriate party member still helps because they'll do more damage, but you can always have someone start off a chain with a weak item if you need to.

Yeah it was really close when I was playing on normal, but using attack items to max the baton pass chain let me clear all the waves

I didn't manage to complete the rush after I forget, does anything happen if you actually do kill haru-bot? but it didn't result in me dying so I still won at least! It was, admittedly, pretty close on the timer though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Use the magatamas you've been hoarding to full chain into whatever your most op joker attack is. Doing it without magatamas sucks.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Funnily enough, I have tried to play the game to this point against all my classically trained item hoarding tendencies and have barely used Mona since I got a fifth party member so I am pretty low on wind items. I think I have enough if I get it right the first or second time. I’ll probably give Makoto a psy accessory. All the other things I’ve read say “good thing you maxed out Hifumi” and well, sorry, I don’t have time for her, I’m too busy studying like a good boy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You can also boost Mona's crit chance and try to use lucky punch or the sling to get a knockdown

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The wind robots are also weak to Fire, so Ann will work for that portion, as will Fire items.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/NiasBruhMoments/status/1664476689043275777?s=20

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

OzFactor posted:

All right, so, I’m playing through P5R as my first play through of the game, and I am at Okamura. I did not get through the third or fourth wave (tall blue guys, weak to wind) and I’m old and don’t have the patience to do this six or seven times. I think I can figure out how to baton pass and buff my way into what I’m supposed to do, but my question is: what actually triggers them running away?

They run at the end of their second turn. The fight's all about using Baton Passes to build up enough damage to put the bad guys (whose weaknesses you should have learned in the dungeon) down fast - which is why people are recommending Merciless difficulty and honestly once you've got the knack it's both pretty easy and a lot more fun than Normal.

For a more in depth guide to smashing them it's Haru and Morgana's dungeon; waves 1 and 4 are weak to wind (Morgana) and 2 and 5 are weak to fire (Haru). Wave 3 needs either Nuke (Makoto) or Electric (Ryuji) so one of them should complete your party. If you have accessories (such as the ring that lets the wearer use a basic Wind attack) in wind, psi, and nuke (which you should have picked up from dungeon 2) or electric people should wear them - and you can use them and consumables to build up to a sweep (only AoE a weakness when you've already made two baton passes.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Alright folks, what’s that T stand for?

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1664787603269517312?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tournament?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

This makes the most sense, though gonna be interesting what the roster would look like since the P3/P4 cast would be much older at this point unless there's time shenanigans again (see: Persona Q2). Keeping it to P5 + rando extras would be, eh, 7 mains, + Yoshizawa, maybe +Sophie/Zenkichi, so that's a base of 10 + OCs?

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

That's my main fear with how P5 didn't officially give a year for when it takes place, it means they're free to not age up the P4 cast.

ApplesandOranges posted:

This makes the most sense, though gonna be interesting what the roster would look like since the P3/P4 cast would be much older at this point unless there's time shenanigans again (see: Persona Q2). Keeping it to P5 + rando extras would be, eh, 7 mains, + Yoshizawa, maybe +Sophie/Zenkichi, so that's a base of 10 + OCs?

There's absolutely no way Akechi isn't included in a fighting game roster. Even if they decide to keep him cannonically dead they'll bullshit him in somehow

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Scrap Dragon posted:

That's my main fear with how P5 didn't officially give a year for when it takes place, it means they're free to not age up the P4 cast.

The thing is though, P5 takes place in 2016. Like, they hid the year in-game for whatever reason, but it's 2016. The calendar days match 2016. There's a TV program that mentions Rise's recent 21st birthday, which would place it in...2016. They've already written themselves into that corner.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Scrap Dragon posted:

There's absolutely no way Akechi isn't included in a fighting game roster. Even if they decide to keep him cannonically dead they'll bullshit him in somehow

"This is the AkechiBot-NASTYCRIMEBOY. He looks, acts and fights like the real Akechi, but he's definitely not him."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The real bet is on which costume he'd have, band uniform or zebra psychopath

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Arist posted:

The real bet is on which costume he'd have, band uniform or zebra psychopath

Both, with a Mode Change mechanic.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
C’mon, Cognitive Akechi is the obvious answer

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think the character they actually might not include is (Royal) Sumire, because her actual identity has never been alluded to anywhere outside of Royal's third semester. I'm sure they'll find a way to write in Akechi, how could they not, but the events of January are still a closely kept secrets. Even in-game screenshots are still disabled at that point.

which sucks because I both like them and don't want people to be spoiled on their deal

I'm just assuming there will be time travel shenanigans if it's a crossover, because the alternative is adult Kanji, which I for one would love but also don't see them doing

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I think the character they actually might not include is (Royal) Sumire, because her actual identity has never been alluded to anywhere outside of Royal's third semester. I'm sure they'll find a way to write in Akechi, how could they not, but the events of January are still a closely kept secrets. Even in-game screenshots are still disabled at that point.

which sucks because I both like them and don't want people to be spoiled on their deal

I'm just assuming there will be time travel shenanigans if it's a crossover, because the alternative is adult Kanji, which I for one would love but also don't see them doing

Her first awakening is during October so it could still work if it's placed before the third semester

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

DanielCross posted:

The thing is though, P5 takes place in 2016. Like, they hid the year in-game for whatever reason, but it's 2016. The calendar days match 2016. There's a TV program that mentions Rise's recent 21st birthday, which would place it in...2016. They've already written themselves into that corner.

Also in Q2 the Persona 5 crew knows Rise as a older idol and recognize Naoto as the first detective prince from a few years back.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

They've openly spoiled Adachi by Ultimax, at some level they'll probably shrug off the yoke of spoilers.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/soupsizedocean/status/1664795001354870784

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

It keeps on telling me to go to bed.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I don't think I've ever seen a single player game being milked for merch for anywhere near as long as p5 has before

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sapozhnik posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a single player game being milked for merch for anywhere near as long as p5 has before

It's probably similar to P4, I think? P4 got the arena game (and the sequel, and then BBTAG), it got the dancing game first, it got PQ and PQ2, it got two anime seasons.

P5 has had more crossovers and such, but I think that's also a byproduct of Persona becoming bigger in general.

P3 has actually had the least stuff since outside of the movie, most of the stuff it got was also tied in with P4 like the fighting games and PQ.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Imagine if Persona 4 got into every gacha game too

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
SSR Shadow Kanji is the best support in the game but only if you get him at Mandala 2 or more

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)

Sapozhnik posted:

The Morgana burger was from the cafe that had items for all of the games: https://www.sweets-paradise.jp/collaboration/persona25th/ :v:

I've been to sweets paradise for the spy family collab, and uhhhhh the food is mid at best.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder if part of the reason they take so long to make the next mainline Persona game is so they can do all these spin-offs without a new game (and all its new characters, etc) taking most of the attention. Like if they announce P6, suddenly they're going to have more trouble getting people interested in stuff like that upcoming Persona 5 gacha game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder if part of the reason they take so long to make the next mainline Persona game is so they can do all these spin-offs without a new game (and all its new characters, etc) taking most of the attention. Like if they announce P6, suddenly they're going to have more trouble getting people interested in stuff like that upcoming Persona 5 gacha game.

Possibly, but also part of it is that Persona games have a lot of content. Like you've got 20+ social links, an entire calendar's worth of events, 7+ party members that you have to make interesting and distinct, the inevitable plot twist/betrayal, music, dungeons, etc. It's a 100+ hour game that somehow manages to not feel like one, which is not easy to pull off.

Add to that the very high-quality translation for a simultaneous release, and you can see why 1. it takes so long to develop one especially as time goes on and 2. why they'd want to milk the characters they spent so much time on.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also, the guy who was in charge of making them no longer wants to make them (which, don't get me wrong, is unambiguously a good thing imo), so you have to get a new head guy to figure out that process.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
someone who worked on the 5R translation posted at one point that it was the longest game script in Atlus history. like yeah these games take a long-rear end time to make lol

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Katsura Hashino explode

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Possibly, but also part of it is that Persona games have a lot of content. Like you've got 20+ social links, an entire calendar's worth of events, 7+ party members that you have to make interesting and distinct, the inevitable plot twist/betrayal, music, dungeons, etc. It's a 100+ hour game that somehow manages to not feel like one, which is not easy to pull off.

Add to that the very high-quality translation for a simultaneous release, and you can see why 1. it takes so long to develop one especially as time goes on and 2. why they'd want to milk the characters they spent so much time on.

But one of the reasons Persona works so well is that the structure makes this relatively easy. Using the Fool's Journey/one arcana per Confidant structure gives you about 20 distinct "base personalities", each of which has an inherent character arc (normally) from inverted to right side up; this doesn't inherently make them interesting (and indeed some aren't) but . You've about eight months worth of social events to plan - but there's one dungeon per month and you've holidays, exams, and more - and you really need eight different "big events" of which the first and eighth are going to be fairly easy from the structure. And this is why Persona feels far better written than it has any right to; the quality of what is actually written is frequently mediocre but the structure and foundations of the storytelling are excellent.

And with any luck the translation will be better for Persona 6 than vanilla Persona 5.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

https://proteusgaming.net/news/p3re-jp-domain-update-suggests-persona-3-remake-announcement-is-coming/

If Atlus follows the pattern of domain name change followed by an announcement a week or so later, it looks like we've got two games getting announced at the Xbox Games Showcase.

E: wow, Akechi was certainly busy

anakha fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/UltimaShadowX/status/1666932954357022721